"You will find me more Ratchet and Clank 1 thread"

"You will find me more Ratchet and Clank 1 thread"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M3SBd-VSDu8
youtube.com/watch?v=1BzdpC-uhRY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Possessions are an illusion.

Ratchet being a cunt was something we will never see again, not only in any other R&C game, but in any other franchise in the world unless is a dudebro shooter.

I got it on sale, but this is what I hated about the Reboot. Qwark being a good guy in the end means him being in prison is never really explained, means Ratchet isn't much of a developing hero like he is over R&C1/2 with him getting commando training and shit, he's just part of the Rangers and that's it.

Elaris and Clank never goes anywhere even in terms of friendship, there's like one cutscene of them talking. In-game we're given no reason to care about Novalis because Cora's never given any screen time except for being a useless ally on one planet. (The fact that there's Gold Bolts and stuff you can get locked out of without a Challenge mode playthrough is ludicrous too)

Holocards are just a waste of resources and an arbitrary gate for Omega weapons which have been unlocked by default in every other game, or a terrible stand-in for the Holoplans.

The core gameplay was pretty good, as was the upgrade system, but I want them to make a new game with it rather than tarnish the old ones.

WELL SHOOT MY DOG AND CALL ME SALLY

This is what I miss the most. Ratchet was one of the few characters from that era that felt properly written when he was being a dick to goofy characters and not completely going along with their bullshit.

But nah LMAO QUARK AMIRITE

Quark who disappeared from the story, despite telling it himself after the first two planets.

That was a missed opportunity in itself. Add extra encounters and shit by him making stuff up, even if it isn't a brain-eating zombie t-rex.

>The fact that there's Gold Bolts and stuff you can get locked out of without a Challenge mode playthrough is ludicrous too

but there isn't

the only thing you can miss is a holo-card booster pack

Before I became a Desert Rider, I didn't fit in anywhere. I had a low self-esteem, bad breath, and a thing for ladies' undergarments, heh.
But these guys understand me, they really do.

i'm so glad gone are the days of kiddy games like ratchet and clank, now we can truly enjoy mature titles like the last of us and uncharted

>Naughty Dog has openly admitted they have almost zero interest in revisiting their old IPs because they're too silly and don't match their new vision
Modernizing and change I understand, but just out and out saying they're cutting ties with their past seems so bizarre.

Yeah, I just come for the bake sales.
*snort*
Oh and I make all these cute little gloves for all the guys.
What's funny to me is that not a single game in their new direction has interested me at all. And I'm all for realistic mature games.

Don't you mean /d/esert riders, come on were all friends here you can admit it.

fuck off, did they actually say this? no fun allowed then, i guess

It was some press thing a year or so back. Someone asked if they had anything special in the works since they're basically a company that only makes Nathan Drake games to the modern gaming industry, and if they were taking steps to basically not pigeon hole themselves.

Turns out their plan WAS to be pigeon holed for some unknown reaaon.

At least we won't have to worry about Jak 4 getting butchered

Because fucking no one who ever worked on Crash is still with the company.

Might not be the right thread but CiT or UYA?

UYA

>Pirate radio while going to different planets gathering treasure

such bliss will never ever be experienced again

Overall UYA but CiT has some better stand-out levels.

I dare you to name a worse boss fight from anything ever.

>browsing R&C threads for years
>everyone hates Han Solo "Mike, Tony and focus testing told me he was an asshole" Ratchet
>try to tell them that it's the only game where he had character development, aside from Deadlocked
>"no he's better off as a hero and comic relief, he was just dumb in R&C1"
>reboot and movie come out
>Cred Forums starts loving scoundrel Ratchet

God bless the contrarian nature of this board.

>800

???

God damn that boss was slow as shit to kill.

Going commando was terrible in general terms of the whole series

The only thing UYA has on CiT is 60 fps

They made Jak 2 the shitshow it is because they heard kids like GTA. No lie.

1 = 3 > CiT > 2 > ToD

1 and 3 are extremely different kinds of games, but both triumph in certain aspects. 2 is a transitional game that, while having better levels than 3 and weapons than 1, is full of annoying bullshit and isn't as rewarding to replay.

alright everyone let me ask this:
>favorite shotgun
>favorite pistol
>favorite bomb glove
>favorite sniper rifle
>favorite rocket launcher
>favorite gimmick weapon
>favorite transformation gun
>favorite ultimate weapon

It was amazing in terms of progressing the series as a whole, from controls to mechanics, but has a lot of tripping-up moments that soil it at times.

I still love it though.

Naughty Dog has always been trend followers and will only make what is currently in at the moment

The UFO from the same game.

Yeah 2 introduced alot of staples for the series while 3 really refined them perfectly.

Fuck the snow yeti's with their high as shit hp.

actually the yetis were so bad the made an award named after them for the worst feature in the game. 10 bolts to who can guess what the award was given to in UYA

Christ those snow yetis freaked me the shit out.

Just trying to collect crystals and shit nigga and I end up running away from like a dozen of the things, scared like a little girl.

If you just spam bouncer and have a decent amount of Shield Charger exp, you'll level up less than 1/3 of the way through and it'll become easy, if tedious.

That first 1/3 is hell, though.

Who cares about the HP, wanna talk about the 4-frames long attack animation?

That whole planet was a hot mess of balance issues.

Every Ratchet game is missing SOMETHING that made a previous game great. It's kinda sad. 1 and 2 are the only ones with exceptional level design...and that's mostly 1.

the planet was coded in like 3 days by i think it was only 1 or 2 developers

>Shard reaper
>Magma combuster
>og bomb glove
>The sniper for uya
>the negotiator
>The groovitron
>Sheepinator
>Ryno4ever

>they keep bringing back Mr zerkon
nobody

Can I have the agents of dread instead please?

Daxx? or the planet where you have to find quark after he crashed

They had both in the new game, which is kinda stupid desu

3 days by one guy.
The same guy who did like 1/3 of the other levels.
None of his levels were very good.

It was given to the missiles on the ranger missions on thhyranosis, because of the missiles crashing right above your head.

>Daxx
>That one fucking ship that spawns when your back is turned as you go for the nearby health pickup.

Fuck. You.

Oh shit I remember that. Man, those rockets were bullshit.

Really?
I never had a problem with that.

>blitz cannon
>duel vipers
>mini nuke
>flux rifle
>war monger
>quack o ray
>rynocerator

how about best melee weapon?

>hating Boldan

At least, I remember it being Tony's.

I didn't have a problem with the missiles after you figure out their path, but maybe because it was too hard for younger players, or maybe because it was the 'worst' feature, but not the worst thing ever.

>Snipe missile launchers
>Send out some Agents of Dread

Wow, that was hard.
There's worse parts in the game.

That's a silly question, mace from Deadlocked is miles ahead of all others.

oh right I forgot about those special ones woops
I would say for me it'd have to be either the Leviathan flail or the quantum whip

the scorpion flail was fucking funnest thing to use.

Yeah that weapon is crazy good the only melee weapon that comes close is the quantum whip from 3.

It was...okay, but it wasn't balanced very well near the end.

Better than 2, Worse than 3

WHY WONT YOU STAY STILL?!

At the very least they need to make him not talk at all seriously he never shuts up.

actually i think everyone talks a little bit too much in the new game, every second is someone saying a line.

Yeah just the other day someone I knew played through crack in time and half the time people kept talking over each other and there was horrid frame drops during the clank time puzzles.

rip

I meant know, ya dingus.

also magnet and ice mines in the same game? seems a little redundant to have 2 stall weapons.

>A thread where people AREN'T sucking Going Commando's dick.

Have you all finally realized it's not great?

2 was a needed upgrade but god damn does it have problems.

I know it has problems, I just look at it as a precursor to something greater.

It really isn't. The level design is better than UYA, and at first it felt like a HUGE step up from 1, but holy shit does it work on a downwards trajectory. All the bullshit changing objectives and how bullet spongey enemies get towards the end, making your early weapons useless, it just drags.

But they're both 60fps.

thing about 1 is that the blaster you have from the start is still effective at the end of the game.

ToD was the last Ratchet I enjoyed.
After that it's all way too disney and the weapon lineups got stale.
There was no need to reboot 1 either, even though the graphics are amazing. Everything new they added was terrible, like that fucking lava jetpack level.

the colours they choose for the lava level heart my eyes it was too bright

I treat the reboot as non cannon I'll stick to ratchet 1 to nexus as cannon.

1 is just a well designed game in general.

The checkpoints are WAAAAY too far apart at times, but it has such perfect level design and the weapon selection is great in that everything has use. It's also, ironically, probably the prettiest until Crack in Time.

>it's a "collect 100 crystals" planet
don't get me wrong they are good for grinding bolts but fuck me they are the literal definition of artificial length.

At least 3 only had one.

Oh hey it's a collectathon sewer level with nothing but long corridors.

Makes you want to blast through them with your fancy rocket boots, doesn't it?

Shame you'll keep getting stuck to magnet surfaces all around you :)

The desert one wasnt so bad if you had a strong enough gun to handle the giant fliers. The fucking snow one? Everyone hated that one because of the snowbeasts. Even the devs hated it to the point where they made the Snowbeast award for the most annoying thing in followup games.

I think what really sold it for me how cheap and unpolished the new game was when I was getting a trophy for getting eaten by one of those fish on Pokitaru, and then when it ate him he didn't even get properly eaten. The fish just bites him and he slumps in death as if he drowned. They didn't even fucking bother animating it. They didn't even fucking bother animating it and they made it a fucking trophy. To draw attention to it. They didn't even bother animating the fucking cutscenes either.

>less planets
>planets that are back have less side paths in them
>dialogue has no wit or spark, it's just sanitised humour or patronising tutorialising and congratulatory nonsense
>said dialogue and sorry continuously slows down the game unlike the originals which were not only better dialogue wise but knew where to have it to not be intrusive
>generic orchestral soundtrack in which every track sounds the same with the main composer saying NOPE NO TRACKS FROM THE OLD ONE THAT'S NOT WHAT I WANT MINES BETTER
>30fps
Really though most of this has been a problem since the PS3 games started. Ever since they moved on to a more cinematic style they haven't been as good and don't even have the quality of writing to back it up. It's nice to see they're sticking with their roots unlike Naughty Dog, but there's no talent left at the company anymore.

Yeah but.
>the constantly moving camera
>the magnet boots
>having to backtrack because a king ameboid only opens up the wall one one side.

It's still alot better then the ones from 2 because they added vendors and nanotech but Jesus what where they thinking it's a motion sickness nightmare.

>Really though most of this has been a problem since the PS3 games started.
It's because it isn't the same team, A lot of PS2 ratchet devs got shifted onto Resistance so the PS3 games suffered as a result.
I don't think many of them even work at insomniac anymore. A few designers from PS2 Ratchets ended up on the fucking Spyro Skylanders dev team.

Don't forget the forced backtracking and motion sickness inducing camra

It's less that there's no talent and more that they don't understand their strengths.

>shifted onto Resistance
Those poor fucks.

>motion sickness: the planet
youtube.com/watch?v=M3SBd-VSDu8
seriously did they not play this at all?

I was having some nostalgia about those two levels from 2 some days ago, and I enjoyed them.

At least now we can actually talk abou how the reboot is, when it came out threads were filled with defense drones.
Also mad they made most gagets useless
>Get O2 mask
>Only need to get 1 golden bolt

The actual reason they don't use old music is because of licensing issues with the composer's music.

The PS2 and majority of the PS3 games were composed by Bergeaud, ACiT was Boris Salchow, and the later games and remake was composed by Michael Bross.

Believe me, they really wanted to include the original soundtrack.

Look at it this way, at least they didn't butcher the old songs.

That's actually why the music was completely new. They didn't want to dare attempt at changing how the original was viewed and didn't want the PS4 game to diminish or ruin it for fans who didn't enjoy it.

It genuinely hurts seeing people hating Insomniac for making the remake. Yeah, it wound up sucking dick, and the movie was just awful. But god damn they were doing something completely new and out of their element, and they did have a lot of love in the process for the fans.

As of now, when the movie released, I got to meet the devs who watched it with us, and they said right now the remake is its own thing completely, and isn't directly connected to the PS3 games. So there's hope with that.

I played going commando before R&C one as a kid so I thought it was shit, I need to go replay it now that my kid bias is out the way.

By the way Up your arsenal is the best closely followed by Deadlock which was a good game with the tightest controls and weapons I know it's some meme to dislike it

The main problem I have with the movie and remake is that it devalued Drek and ruined nefarious's origin story which was much better in 3.

When they eventually return to Ratchet, they're going to make no distinctions about continuity. It's just going to be a new adventure with some returning characters, and whatever you wanna believe is canon stays canon.

Deadlocked was my personal favorite, but only a bit ahead of UYA

>People disagreeing with me is a meme!
You're still a kid.

Does anyone actually like deadlocked? It's definitely on the action end of the action-adventure spectrum but god damn splitscreen coop was the shit.

fuck the land-stalker missions though but dreadlocked was a decent enough spin off it's ultimate weapon was very lack luster.

Its my favorite of the ps2 games

>Believe me, they really wanted to include the original soundtrack.
Michael Bross didn't.

The co-op is much better then that stupid tower defense one.

The movie flat out got cancelled for release over here and is coming out on DVD at the end of the month. It was that bad, apparently.

I watched it and honestly it isn't bad but it is very mediocre it's worth a watch at the very least.

>nefarious's origin story which was much better in 3

Really? Being a short conehead and falling off the bridge from a wedgie was a better origin story?

>Muh exploration
It's great got the best gun play in the series

The scorpion flail is the only reason I think it's one of the best games in the series.

>YOU LIKE DIFFERENT THINGS THAN ME! MMEEEEEMMMEEEE!!!!!

Again, you haven't grown up yet. Some people just like different games than you do.

I dunno being bullied by a 26 year old still going to high school is a lot more funny then "nerd gets ignored so much he becomes evil"

If the latter were true most of us here would become villains.

The mines are also stupidly powerful too very satisfying weapon to use.

I too can selectively over simplify motivations and histories in order to make my preferred choice of origin more appealing.

>"nerd gets ignored so much he becomes evil"

When was that stated about Nefarious in the remake?

Why the fuck do they still think anyone cares about their shitty sub disney stories?
Why the fuck did they think anyone would want to see a movie about it?
It was so much better when they approached the story more tongue in cheek.

The tech ranger brings it up.

Desperation to be taken seriously I guess. Problem is they have none of the talent required for it.

Most of the old devs left that's why the story is kind of shitty and shallow.

>most of the weapons are shit from the future series

Simplifying it is a favor, assmunch.
R&C's remake is overwrought with exposition and ceaseless dialogue.

The ambiguity of the vidcomic origin (since the first four are of dubious credibility) is better than KNOWING what happens.

The only way to play for me was minions/turret and shield

>Mr Zurkon still in every game
The guy who created it is blackmailing the CEO of Insomniac, it's the only plausible explanation for why that piece of shit is still around.

>poorfag sonygger thread

lol at your life if you grew up with poorstation, all these games were shitty nintendo ripoffs

>every time zurkon isn't on the screen everyone asks "where's zurkon?"

I had ps2 and gamecube!

>mini turrets
>quack o ray ducks around
>agents of dread set up
>holo shields up
>personal shield active
>veno gun making enemy's attack each-other
>rift inducer active
at that point you don't even need to shoot.

>tfw the complete tone shift after Quark betrays you

I actually started replaying the series yesterday. I forgot how different the first one controls to the later entries, but I'm having fun with it.

I think the Insomniac museums might be my favorite additions to the later games.

1 isn't better than anything. In fact, it's the worst. Why would you think it's good when it's sequels have been objectively better in all aspects?

I want to say Ratchet had still a little bit of personality after 1, but it basically just involved guns, his love interests and not wanting Clank to get hurt. For the rest he was basically one dimensional, including the Future series.

The main duo needed to clash a lot more, their personalities were on the opposite side of the spectrum and that's also why they got along. This doesn't mean they have to stop being bros.

3 almost seemed like it was building up to something like that with Clank's TV career, but it never developed much.

>favorite shotgun
Quantum Repulsor
>favorite pistol
Blaster
>favorite bomb glove
Nitro Eruptor
>favorite sniper rifle
Flux Rifle
>favorite rocket launcher
Megarocket Cannon
>favorite gimmick weapon
motherfucking plasma whip in every RaC that had one, too bad they were weak as shit during challenge mode.
>favorite transformation gun
Quack-O-Ray, I guess.
>favorite ultimate weapon
RYNO II, obviously

Yeah man, 3's level design was so good, what with its straight lines. And its other straight lines. And sometimes you even jump!

If you seriously can't understand that each Ratchet game has its own high and low points, you don't know shit about game design.

>1 is the worst
>Despite the most recent game being a worse version of it.

???

Best music coming through
youtube.com/watch?v=1BzdpC-uhRY

>neat universe with a lot of shit going on, plenty of characters to learn more about
>no non-Ratchet games that take place in the same universe
>no stand-alone DreadZone game with better online and co-op
>no Captain Qwark game
>no co-op game about Cronk and Zephyr in their heyday

It's like the only time I ever wanted a series to do this, and it never did.

>when it's sequels have been objectively better in all aspects

You mean except level design, music, plot, art direction (2 onwards had very desaturated colors), weapon balancing and bosses (although Nefarious was pretty cool)?

Maybe a challenge mode where he makes shit up? That would have potential to change literally everything.

Ratchet was such a dickhead in the first game. It was great.

The other games did a good thing giving him shoes though. I don't wanna look at them ugly trotters.

ToD was shit

Did ItN need to exist?

It's the only one of the PS3 games that doesn't have completely garbage levels.
A shame everything else in it was shit.

Reminds me that
>Ratchet's armor in 2 originally covered up his tail
>Furries complained about it so much on the Insomniac forums they added his tail back

No idea why it was such a big deal

Once you get the grindboots you can equip them and he'll wear them even when your not on grind rails

*you're

Sometimes I feel like the only person that actually liked Deadlocked.

Furries are notorious at complaining enough to change shit. At least they didn't force them to give him an unlockable swimsuit costume or something.
I bet some of them complained about him wearing shoes as well.

It's funny; despite Insomniac wanting to distance themselves from Platformers, Ratchet 1 is easily their best Platformer and easily trumps the entire Spyro trilogy.

It looks kinda weird, to be honest.

It's all the experience they gained from the Spyro trilogy with a fresh coat of paint and spitshine. Spyro just became a alien cat thing that shoots guns and Sparx a robot.

>Dr. Nefarious fight in third level.
>"And we thought all was well...until the Protopets attacked."

The best way to handle the game would have been to make it a tribute to the whole franchise and mix everything up. Fuck, the jokes write themselves.

>And in her crazed, love-fueled rage, Angela leapt in front of the blaste-
>You said she died.
>TALWYN leapt in front of the blaster.

You mean they took Agent 9 from Spyro 3 and built a game around him.

uh, user, there is an unlockable swimsuit costume, in RaC3

Agent 9 played like shit.

He played like an unpolished Ratchet.
His model is similarly proportioned and his weapons are early versions of Ratchet's. Shit, his ANIMATIONS are nearly the same.

Apart from all these other people posting in the same thread saying that they liked it, of course.

and it was optional, wasn't it?

I remember always using it to grind bolts for the last armour in the game.

They still do it, they fired the creator of Uncharted because they wanted Druckman to have full control over the story, and it turned out even worse than the other 3 games.

>Driving out esteemed female creators because muh inner circle.
>Get praised for it.

Shit's bananas.

Uncharted 4 was the best in the series. Way better than 1 and 3 at least.

Hahahaha good. She was a hack anyway who began the downfall of the company with that Memory Card destroying Jak X.

Only the first game?

Why?

Going Commando.
Fite me.

GC has the most variety, but it has its share of flaws.
>Thugs 4 Less boss
>Meteor gun
>Yetis
etc.

UYA is the least flawed game, but it's also a little blander as a result. There's no space combat or hoverbike riding.

They didn't say that, Christ.

They said they want to make different kinds of games to mascot driven 3D platformers and that when they tried to revisit Jak and Daxter they realized they were just making a game the old fans wouldn't enjoy and that they'd prefer to make something else instead of.

It's a perfectly respectable call to make.

>>Thugs 4 Less boss
What's wrong with this? Even young me didn't take long to find out those homing missiles he fires don't actually hurt you or the turrets just as long as you're not mounted on the turret.

And the huge variety of weapons more than makes up for the fact the Meteor Gun and Clank Zapper were absolute garbage.

>Arsenal
3 > CiT = DL > 2 = Ro1 > ToD > ItN > 1 > ToD

>Weapon moddan/Upgradan
DL > CiT > 3 = Ro1 > 2 > ToD = QfB > ItN > 1

>Writing
DL > 3 > 2 = CiT > 1 > ItN > Ro1 = QfB > ToD

>Clank sections
CiT >> 3 > 2 = ToD > ItN = Ro1 = 1
N/A: DL, QfB

>Platforming
CiT > 3 > 2 > QfB = 1> Ro1 = ItN = ToD > DL

>Side-content (incl. MP)
CiT = 3 > DL > 2 > ToD > ToD = Ro1 >> ItN = QfB

>Overall
3 > CiT = DL > 2 > Ro1 = 1 > ItN >> ToD > QfB

>Music
Tbqh I have no idea since I've always thought the entire series has a pretty forgettable OST and can't recall more than a handful of tracks from it

Ro1 stands for "Remake of 1" since its probably not very obvious

>level design,
3 had less useless filler stages and far more complex/larger maps
Deadlocked was far less vertically oriented but was well designed for the style of game it was and, once again, had less filler
Crack in Time in general dumps all over it besides that one iceworld
>music
The entire series has pretty bland music imo so I can't really argue about this since I remember none of it.
>plot
3 is better
CiT is also better, though with the caveat that the actual humour is either absent or not at all funny
>art direction
3/CiT/the remake say hello
>weapon balancing
I'll give you this one since it was the only game where every weapon was viable and nearly all of them were important.

I found the arsenals of nearly all the later games more fun and creative overall though.

>bosses
Besides Drek and Quark they all lacked any personality and were pretty bog-standard for a sixth gen action-platformer. The other games all improved on the average quality of the bossfights a huge amount, besides 2 and QfB/ItN

>The entire series has pretty bland music imo
I disagree heavily, Bergeaud's soundtrack is half the reason the PS2 games hold up so much better than later games.

Agreed, does it exist online anywhere?

user uploaded a whole bunch of it in high quality a while back, but I lost the links.