MGSV - TPP

Hey Cred Forums I'm currently playing pic related. This is also my first MGS or any MG related game.

Problem is I don't understand most of the terms or events that the characters and the tapes are giving to me, like the Peace Walker incident, or what Cipher is and who "The Boss" is. Things like what happened 9 years ago, or the events that took place where Snake was years ago.

Basically I have no idea what's happening.

Should I drop it while it's still early or is it better to just push through? I'm thinking of getting the older MGS games and probably just emulate them, that is until I get my hands on a controller.

Just muscle through it, i dont think any one knows that the fuck is going on, I certainly didn't.

Gameplay and the smooth as butter engine is where the game shines.

just play no reason to play this shit other than gameplay

I'd play through it. Then if you crave more at the end you can play the old ones and go OHhHhHhhhhHHHhhh! When you realize who it was talking about and see first hand what happened.

The thing is I'm getting this weird feeling being left out of a lot of things, like references and history.

Some kind of "Things That Happened" journal or book should be mandatory to long standing game series.

The boss was snakes mentor, despite her good intentions snake was forced to kill her by the CIA to make a coverup for america. Out of spite for america he made a soldier of fortune esque private military base that sold itself out for conflicts around the world. They eventually got a nuke, and were destroyed by cipher out of retaliation and fear of this. During the attack, snake crashed in a helicopter he was trying to escape with, a piece of metal pierced his head, and he entered into a coma. There, you're set OP.

The Boss was the mentor of "your character"
"Your character" killed The Boss at the end of a previous game
The US Government was behind it all so "Your character" is mad
"Your character" decided to create his own nation of people who only know how to fight, along with Kaz
Then Peace Walker happened.

At the most, you should download PPSSPP on your phone or computer and play Peace Walker, then play Ground Zeroes (Just pirate it)
At the least, just play Ground Zeroes.

Play ground zeros, it's a 5$ mandatory prequel to phantom pain. It has literally everything you just asked for in that post.

Drop it, play mgs3, peace walker, and Ground Zeroes then come back to tpp

>playing mgs for the story

mgs is about the gameplay. try to ignore the retarded storyline the devs are forcing

Just go on the wiki page and read the fuck out of it. Also avoid any page relating to big boss if you want to avoid spoilers.

Finish TPP.

Then play in release order. MGS 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - PW - GZ
Before playing MGS 1 read the background stuff in game, or read a wiki on MG 1 and 2 [though that might spoil too much because they'll probably have detailed info on PW and 3]. PO is optional.

If you don't give a fuck about the series and just want to understand phantom pain, then either watch/play/read about metal gear 3, then read footnotes on peacewalker and ground zeros. Any other game in the series is either a.) non canon, or b.) irrelevant because it's about solid snake and not big boss.

Damn that shot is disgusting, what settings are you playing on?

Get Ground Zeroes and flip through the notes on the loading screens. They'll eventually give you the gist of everything that's happened up to MGSV.

MALE TO FEMALE WOLBACHIA

If you are trying to get into a series and start with last entry, i think you are doing it wrong.

Everything Extra High with DOF, motion blur, and clouds off.

AA sucks in this game so I usually just turn postprocessing off. Turned it to Extra High for this screenshot.

Don't know why it looks so pixelated in yours.
If you have a NVIDIA GPU, and a powerful enough one, you can activate downsampling in Gefore Experience.

I play on a laptop with a 960m. Gradient bands are incredibly noticeable. I also get fps drops on shadow intense areas, or when dusk turns to night.

>inb4 gaming laptop

I have to make do with what I have, and I'm currently content with the performance I'm getting.

Yeah, lightning and shadow options are the heaviest ones.

Also, check out the mod Infinite Heaven, it makes the open world feel much more alive.

>playing the latest entry in a series that's decades old

Fuck you.

Listen to all of those fruity little love tapes that ocelot leaves you
they fill in a bit

>mgs is about the gameplay.

yeah, this is complete bullshit

one can't go around the story in MGS; it's like 70% of the experience and it forces itself down your throat whether you like it or not

TPP is kind of an exception in terms of story-gameplay ratio, but it also expects you to know the series' idiosyncrasies inside and out

to a player who's completely new MGS and is starting with this game; good luck enjoying that incoherent shit

The story is stupid and of particular non importance to MGSV

I've never heard of the series before until I started browsing Cred Forums. From there I started to have some interest in the games, but they were only available on consoles, which I don't own any except for a PS1.

Honestly MGSVs story doesn't really reference anything from the older games that's worth noting. MGS1/2/4 are irrelevant to MGSV as all the vocal parasites and wolbachia shit are new, unless you want to know the character relationships like Otacon/Huey e.t.c. but they won't really help you in understanding the story better.

MGS3 might give you a little background on who Big Boss and Zero/Cipher are but other than that there's no point. Ground Zeroes is really the only game that will give you everything you need, plus it can be completed in about an hour. Peace Walker will give you some background on MSF/Paz/Chico but again won't really help you in understanding MGSV's story.