Have you finally realized that the Indie scene has failed spectacularly...

Have you finally realized that the Indie scene has failed spectacularly? Remember last gen you were all fed up with AAA garbage and thought Indies would show us the light?

>2d pixelshit our the ass
>artsy walking sims
>open world crafting survivalshit
>steam greenlight
>kickstsrter scams
>dumb sjw shit
>ironic hipster joke games

Has any indie dev actually moved up into the big industry after their game became well known besides CDprojekt?
>Super Meat Boy devs have done nothing since
>Supergiant is about to make the same game for the third time under a different skin
>Psyonix stuck making rocket league add one with no plans
>Dustforce devs have done nothing since
>Notch and Pixel retired after 1 game
>a respected Inafune tried to make an indie game and flopped, no one respects him anymore
>Toby Fox hasn't joined a bigger team yet
>the rest aren't even worth mentioning

What's worse is that they replaced AA games. I'd rather play a professionally made game with flaws than another indie turd with a "new" gameplay gimmick.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/xcg494_a-moment-with-jon-blow_fun
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I hope Squad works on something else, KSP was amazing, invested tons of hours on it.

There have been a couple indie games I've really enjoyed, Tempest being the best. I think that digital distribution has made indie development a total wash, and I agree that there's a significant amount of it that belongs on miniclip instead.

It's the time of the AA releases, kids. Battlefleet Gothic, any CRPG's, anything that didn't take $110 million to develop.

>pixel art is imediately bad
>revivals of pretty much every single genre are completely ignored
>claims supergiant is making bastion again when it's clearly completely different in every aspect
>has no idea what he's talking about

Yes, exactly, Cred Forums is just dumb

t. indie dev

>pixel art is imediately bad
It is in 2016 when there are much better ways to display an art style. You take the east way out
>revivals of pretty much every single genre are completely ignored
Go ahead, name them. I promise you they've done nothing to innovate it make the genre more popular.
>claims supergiant is making bastion again when it's clearly completely different in every aspect
Literally the same exact game with a new gimmick.

Pixel made kero blaster after cave story, and since the zangyou update its actually a sick game

>>pixel art is imediately bad
>>revivals of pretty much every single genre are completely ignored
>>claims supergiant is making bastion again when it's clearly completely d
Pixel art is bad because the artists are bad.

If you look at SNK in their hayday you can see how beautiful pixel art can be.

pixelshit doesn't immediately equal bad, but there is a lot of shitty looking pixel art.

It's a shitlload easier to do 2D vs. 3D if you're indepndent.

>Pixel retired
Pixel made freeware. He's a hobby dev. Works a normal job and makes software when he feels like it purely for fun, like Locomalito. They are developers but have nothing to do with the games industry. Only reason Cavestory got a commercial release is because Nicalis told him the game would reach a bigger audience if they sold it.

>Super Meat Boy devs have done nothing since
Edmund has Binding of Issac with a bunch of DLC remakes and ports

So that both gave done nothing since?

>So that both gave done nothing since?
uh, what?

Your definition of failure is incorrect.
Also,
>moved up into the big industry
That wouldn't be a good thing.
>SMB devs
Made the Binding of Isaac.

Then bad artists are bad, not pixel art.
Calling the entire artstyle bad and considering any game that uses it equally bad just because some people are doing shitty games in their free time and complaining that there's nothing good indie is stupid in so many levels.
Just check out Vagante, Momodora, Nuclear Throne, Downwell, Crawl, hell, there are tons of great ones, just gotta stop being a little bitch and actually search for stuff

I play non-AAA games almost exclusively. Never played any of the following:

>2d pixelshit our the ass
>artsy walking sims
>open world crafting survivalshit
>steam greenlight
>kickstsrter scams
>dumb sjw shit
>ironic hipster joke games

JUST PlAY GoOd FUCKING GAMES YOU TURBOMONGOLOID

Modern Indie scene

>Toby Fox hasn't joined a bigger team yet

Jeff Vogel hasn't joined a bigger team for the last 20 years and he's doing fine. Your point?

Modern Indie game

indieshit has shown me the light, i cant remember the last AAA ive played and actually enjoyed.

here is a small list of all the great indie games ive been playing over the past few years.

>csgo
>arma 3
>red orchestra 2/rising storm
>chivalry
>mount + blade
>insurgency
>mechwarrior online
>tabletop sim
>killing floor
>rocket league
>witcher 3

the list goes on and on

not all indie games are 2d sidescrollers, unlike all AAA games which are all generic 3rd person cinematic character action games

Modern Indie developers

Simsonsfags be cancer.

There is "pixel art" and then there is pixel art.

Picture related is pixel art, and no one could say it's bad. It's fucking amazing.

This however is not the same as the "pixel art" indie games use.

dailymotion.com/video/xcg494_a-moment-with-jon-blow_fun

>There is "pixel art" and then there is pixel art
You said the same thing twice, who does that?

The problem with the Indie boom is that instead of increasing the number of decent to good games in a corollary to Sturgeon's law, it just meant you had to pick through more shit to find those rare diamonds.

>the rest aren't even worth mentioning
More like you don't really have anything to mention because your only knowledge of indies comes from being spoonfed popular shit by Cred Forums or whatever other shithole you browse. Which is proven by the fact that you think Pixel only made Cave Story.

>He does a lot of really insightful video game talks and I admire the guy greatly.
Thanks for telling me that

>Divinity OS 2
>Endless Space 2
>Everspace
>Oriental Empires
>Halycon 6

indies are killing it right now retard, maybe you should play actual games instead of whatever YouTube e-celeb faggot you follow tells you to play?

It's 2016. You can refund shit on Steam. I don't see a problem. Just play good games.

So by "pixel art" you mean some very specific kind of pixel art and by "indie games" you mean a very specific kind of indie games? Learn how to express yourself properly, faggot,.

>all these indie devs trying to shill their forgettable FOTM trash

All thi as games suck

200 years ago picture related wasn't considered good enough to grant the artist admission to an art school.
These days a woman can go around in public and get fingered by strangers and it is called "art".

That is the difference between pixel art then and pixel art now.

Learn how to tone down your autism, faggot.

How is Everspace right now, content-wise?

>>Supergiant is about to make the same game for the third time under a different skin
Isn't the new game basically an RPG version of NBA Jam?

that brushwork is terrible.

>That is the difference between pixel art then and pixel art now.
No it isn't, are you fucking retarded? There is a massive range of quality when it comes to art in old games. Metal Slug is not the standard, it's a very rare exception made on a huge budget specifically to be eye catching. Irem games in general are well known for that. Most arcade games did not look that good before or after.

Metal Slug had a tiny ass budget though. 30 years ago, when it was released a game with a budget of $1 million was considered fucking massive.

Picture related is what $3.3 million gets you these days. From an indie developer no less.

Yes user, I'm sure the game plastered all over arcades around the world had a """tiny budget"""

>>the rest aren't even worth mentioning

What is
>Lisa
>Lethal League
>OFF
>LabZero
>Iga
>Yooka

It's budget was probably smaller than what some nobodies with no skill or experience get from kikestarter these days.

Picture related. You should consider doing a bit of research because you don't know shit.

>Picture related is what $3.3 million gets you these days. From an indie developer no less.
An incredibly incompetent indie developer. Pic related is another indie dev working on 0 budget. It's a game very close to Salamander 2, which was released almost at the same time as Metal Slug. And it's not exactly a one time thing, I can name a lot of indie games on this level of visual quality.

Doesn't even look that good. Not sure what your point is. That picture has a bland style and there isn't really much else to comment on.

i too yearn to return to the days when low budget games all looked incredible.

The point is that it very much lives up to the arcade standard, because the arcades did not look like Metal Slug at all. Not that you'd know that.

I grew up playing in arcades in the early 90s.

Games back then sure as shit looked better than this, which is a good representation of your average indie shit pixel game.

I don't even hate simple/bad pixel art, my problem with most of these indie shits is the uninspired garbage they keep putting out. Doesn't matter if it looks good or bad, if it's another 2d platformer with no new mechanics/inspiring level design I can't really justify wasting my time playing it. Survival games as well, jesus

Let me tell you something, and this includes all vydia scenes.
There are good games and there are bad games.

I'll never hate Indie games because y favorite game ever is a simple indie game

They did, but it's very easy to find indie games that look a whole lot better than that also that's not even fucking pixel art what are you doing

That's not really a problem since it's also easier than ever to find what you're looking for and then get a very good idea of its quality through screenshots, trailers, word of mouth, reviews, gameplay videos, speedruns, piracy and refunds.

is this guy really confused that industry professionals and trained artists managed to create better looking graphics than people in their bedrooms who literally had to go online and beg for money?

You ever been to a pixel artist community website?

Most of these "people in their bedrooms" expect absurd money for their work. Most of them expect payment per graphic they produce because it's more profitable than paying them by the hour.
If you tried to hire these people to do all the art for one of your small games, they'd expect millions for what would be maybe a month or twos work tops.

Meanwhile a professional artist working on a AAA game isn't even earning $100k a year.

Which is why so many indie games look like shit since they have to go with programmer art because actual artists are fucking cunts

Most indie devs don't even try. This was made by just 4 people

Grimrock 2 fair enough. Grimrock 1 has a single wall segment copypasted over the entire game.

The game has like 4 tile sets, not all games are that extremely limited in scope.