Are there any space games that have massive battles on the order of what happens in Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

Are there any space games that have massive battles on the order of what happens in Legend of the Galactic Heroes?
Tens of thousands of ships fighting each other?
Not trying to start an offtopic thread, I legitimately would like to find a game like this and I can't think of any other examples

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h9x8eYjUQzg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump for interest

Have you tried AI War?

Second bump for interest, that sounds pretty neat

Sins of a Solar Empire has pretty big battles but I not THAT big

2008 LOGH PC game

I'd wager you'd only see that level of scale on the autismo simulators like Aurora 4x.

I remember some scenes of Infinite Space on the DS having that scale, but you yourself never controlled more than 5 ships.

How is this anime so criminally underrated
It's like the best show I've ever seen, anime or not, and barely anyone has watched it

I fucking love Aurora but trying to recreate LotGH in it would be torture
Not only would you have to give orders to each ship, but having that many ships simulated would slow the game to a crawl

Was it ever translated?

Yeah, I never said it was a good way to do it.

But from my experience most space games have that total ship cap that's way removed from what we're shooting for.

I would adore to watch that fight go by frame by frame though.

I just wish Aurora had a representation of other weapons besides missiles
Even if I had little blue lines going from ship to ship it'd be so much more engaging

>little blue lines
Yes, this

Aurora 4x, theoretically

SoSE also has a logh mod thats fairly nice, but a bit wonky but worth a try.

EVE Online

youtube.com/watch?v=h9x8eYjUQzg

Not "massive", but FreeSpace 2 is one of the few games that did capital ship battles right. Some of the old wing commanders did them decently as well.

I watched 20 episodes of it and I can't understand why everyone thinks it's so good. Decent worldbuilding but the tactics are dubious and the writing is mostly just jerking off how great Reinhard and Yang are.

>That one missions where the Colossus and the Sathanas square off after you bomb the shit out of its main beam cannons
>If you try to get in-between them it's more than likely going to kill you
>All you can do is watch

RIP Colossus, we hardly knew ye

as some one who has been in all the major encounters in eve, it's fucking not fun at all.

It takes ~10 minutes for any command to go through when the scale gets that big.

Because it's a hundred episodes and it's fucking slow.
Also starts off poorly.

I agree that it's good but it's not hard to see why it's as niche as it is.

>20 episodes
Hang in there for like 5-10 more episodes and see if you still feel that way

If you don't like Romance of the Three Kingdoms you won't like LoGH. Both are based in the same theme, the same idea of the collapse of government power and the formation of new governments as a means by which great men rise to prominence and become heroes. It's not supposed to be tactical realism simulator, the point is that Yang and Reinhard are superior men whose superiority is demonstrated by the "historical" events that transpire. It's like asking why Cao Cao and Liu Bei kept winning battles despite being outnumbered, the whole point is that they win even though their enemies would realistically speaking have to be retarded not to beat them, because they are heroes.

Sins of a Solar Empire is the closest thing you'll really get. It also does a good job at nailing that funneling huge amounts of starships through very specific space that LoGH tended to feel like. Star Realms can sort of come close as well, maybe more close even, but it depends.

Thing is that there's inherent problems with commanding fleets on that scale without abstracting them down to where it's pointless to still claim they're on that scale.

If you're talking about the death of Kircheis, whenever that happens, I sure haven't gotten attached to him yet.

I used to be curious about ROT3K but if it really is just a bunch of cool dudes being cooler than everyone else I guess I'll have to pass.

Well, if you can't really appreciate it that's fair
I wish you could but I'm sure there are things you think are great that I can't appreciate either

Wasn't it that Yang basically created a semi circle, to encapuslate and flank the enemy?

Basically, Yang's genius was that he realized Space was 3D battlefield.

Sort of, but the tactics in LotGH are always kind of questionable
It's just an excuse to show space ships getting annihilated and lots of BLUE FUCKING LASERS, which I'm not complaining about, since the animation is pretty and it just gets better as the show goes along

Yeah. I don't mean to rain on your parade. I just found it disappointing that I couldn't find anything to like in one of the most beloved series on Cred Forums.

Did you at least like the battles?

Homeworld with unit cap removal. computers can run it now if you also grab the 4gb+ patch.

Distant Worlds can get some pretty radical space battles going on in the late game. If you cram your ships with fighter bays you can have gazillions of ships on screen (and an FPS equal to one divided by a gazillion).

It's diplomacy is a bit too straightforward, but it's fun for what it is.

The battles were cool, I really liked the 3D displays of ship formations. I also liked how tactics were more or less implied to be similar to Napoleonic infantry tactics, with ships lining up and blasting away at each other while trying to maneuver to get the upper hand. But for some reason every battle was won by handwaving some kind of superior tactics (like semicircles) that the opponent couldn't respond to for whatever reason. Great soundtrack at least.

Not even gratuitous space battles can get on that level, and the whole purpose of that game is to watch obscene amounts of ships fire obscene amounts of stuff at each other.

Well, at least you can say you tried

Was that game worthwhile? What about the sequel?

>it's just a disorganized clusterfuck with no sort of formations
This doesn't satisfy my autism

Yeah this.

Disorgonization IS the tactic

You cant counter raw numbers if you remove the ability to reorgonize for tactics, reduce the battle to a simple matter of numbers and the end result is set in stone

I wish I could stop being such a care bear and get into PVP

How does your autism deals with the fact that it doesn't really make sense for space-battles to be at such a close range, user?

Poorly

LotGH best anime of my life

The PS1 game of LoGH was about huge space battles, but it played more like chess than anything else, turn based combat, homo as fuck enemy AI and the fucking bastards didnt even use the voices from the anime

Homeworld is really the best you've got, it gets real rock-paper-scissors-y sometimes, but it's good fun.

Code Geass is slightly better desu

modded sins of a solar empire is pretty good. Definitely not optimized for 1000s of ships together though. I did a 5v5 with increased pop limits on a map with a singular star chokepoint and that battle was a slideshow.

star sector had pretty satisfying small-medium engagements too

>It's just an excuse to show space ships getting annihilated and lots of BLUE FUCKING LASERS
No user, those were actual tactics used during the early 19th century, the tactic in the first episode was a tactic used by Bogislav Tauentzien during the Battle of Schleiz, of course in a 2d plain and the french were indeed trapped by the forest at its sides and the approaching prussian reinforcements in the back (they were really a couple of days away, but the french believed they were closer)

thread, dont die on me like __Yang__ did

>that gloryless, lonely death
>those last words
Utter suffering

>still the series continued for many episodes
I truly felt a phantom pain

He didn't deserve what he got

Star Ruler 2