Why do so many games these days have grinding?

Why do so many games these days have grinding?

What even is the point of grinding? It isn't fun and adds nothing to the game.

Filler

Some people like grinding.

WAGA NA WA MEGUMIN

Why put effort and money into making content when you can tell people to collect 10 bear asses with 1% drop rates and they'll gladly do it?

What are some fun games without filler and grinding?

This. It's a fucking disease that slowly creeps up on you until suddenly you can't be satisfied unless a game forces you to put 1k hours in to 100% it.

Arcade games

in subscription based games, it gets the devs more money
in pay-2-win games, it makes you more likely to give up and spend money to bypass the grind
in rpg's, it lets them boast a longer 'time to completion' which people mistake for meaning more content

It's just a stupid, dumb, bullshit way to make the game seem like it has more to do than it really does. It's a cheap ass method devs use so people keep playing their game.

It's unacceptable in MMOs, and it's mildly annoying in JRPGs. You never have to be max level to beat a final boss in a JRPG anyways, at least not one that I've played.

because it adds a sense of progression and advancement that is relatable to real world training

also, casual filter

>It's unacceptable in MMOs
MMOs are nothing but grinding though.

Why can't you just make the game hard and make people have to actually train to get better?

Wouldn't that be a better casual filter?

what are you talking about? training = grinding

>boss is difficult, can't beat it
>train/grind to higher levels, get better stats, learn better attacks, get better buffs/debuffs, etc.
>boss isn't as difficult

Monster Hunter is the only game I've played that made grinding somewhat enjoyable, since the grind IS the game.
Fuck anything that starts with Rath-, though.

post more megumin

Actually the opposite is true.
Grinding gives a way for the player to spend hours trying to achieve something without needing to change how they play and receive gratification from it.

I like Grindan in games like Disgaea, it's fuck watching the numbers go up.

I mean improving yourself, not training the character.

Making yourself better at the game, like with 2hu or something.

When it comes to MMOs, it's either that or allowing players to quickly level and reach end game.

Then comes the problem of keeping them interested to play end game content.

Too keep you busy
>2 threads with Megumin
I don't know how to feel about this

it's the same person

It's actually not. I don't make rec threads.

Training suggests skilled tasks and gitting gud by gitting gud over time; grinding not so much where simply putting in mindless time is enough. Like the difference between practicing the piano by trying to sound musical vs. mashing keys randomly for hours

It's silly isn't it.

Devs can't come up with anything good so they just go for the grind.

A single person can't have more than 1 thread on any board at the same time.

First day on Cred Forums?

No, literally go to any archive and look at this post then click [view same] you'll see I've made posts with that image before.

Asians and other depressed people want "zen" games-- games that aren't too hard and don't require much thought so they can play mindlessly to zone out for@l a few hours.

And then some expansion maps and expanding the level cap, more grinding and repeating.

Like pachinko?

Isn't the fun of MMOs grinding with friends?

Sometimes that happen, but it's totally different doing alone.

Pachinko is gambling, that's a whole separate addiction

So they can pad out the time it takes to complete the game and brag how much """"content"""" they're offering their players

Because where is the fun and sense of progression if you loot the strongest equipment or parts for crafting in 5 minutes. Imagine that you find daedric sword in a second dungeon.

Then they could just keep adding more new and interesting content instead of the same 10 bad guys?

Why is Megumin flying on explosions?

That's too expensive, user.
That's why nobody does it.

I would rather play a 3 hour game that's fun instead of wasting 30 hours on garbage.