ANONDEV ASKS Cred Forums

hey Cred Forums, what fun gameplay mechanics do you enjoy from RPG games? stuff that isn't essential to the game but just makes it fun and comfy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6FPz7yklWrA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Shut the fuck up shill

PM needed a recipe book so you can keep track of shit you already made.

Any type of active combat system like in Tales of series, LISA the painful RPG, or Paper Mario. Anything where you actually have some control of how effective the attacks are rather than just selecting them from a menu.

No matter what you make and what matter how good you think your idea will be, you'll never finish it and this entire thread is pointless.

Monsters dropping monster cards to collect.

That's what I'm going for, a bit of paper Mario/ Mario and Luigi combat.
That sounds p comfy

>Mario/ Mario and Luigi combat.
It's probably best if you have multiple influences for this mechanic

pls no

I am still traumatised by the 0.01% card drop rates from Ragnarok Online.

So many years spent fighting for MVPs...

Any kind of subsystem that shows character individuality, if there's a party.
For example, in Tales of Symphonia everyone had different cooking abilities and favored/disliked ingredients.
The ability to interact or hang out with party members or other NPCs throughout the game in a meaningful way, like in the Persona games or Bioware RPGs. Not necessarily romance, but something that develops or characterizes them.

don't worry, those aren't the only RPG games I've ever played
I'm not really a fan of making ultra rare drops ;)

Paizuri

Mini-games worth a fuck. I do fishing and what not in Animal Crossing just because it's comfy. Bowling in GTA is also a personal favorite.

I absolutely love those mini games like bug catching in animal crossing, That's definitely being added in.

What are some RPGs with good gameplay?
I'm always turned off by RPGs, even "must plays" like FF7, because I hate boring turn based combat, but I really enjoy when there's more more to it than just pressing attack and waiting.
Like how Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, and Undertale make you time attacks and dodges instead of just leaving everything to RNG

It's call active-time and it's as old as chrono trigger perhaps older.

that's definitely the kind of combat I'm attracted to, I'm really going for combat like earthbound mixed with something with rhythm and interactive attacks, I absolutely loved LISA as well, which definitely switched up the usual turn based RPG game combat

I will always be sad that this never went anywhere, and that faye will never exist in game.

Relationship charts, like in Xenoblade Chronicles.

fuck op I'm going to post all the things I hate about rpgs:

>characters don't get xp if they're dead when combat ends
>characters don't get xp if they're not in your party
>the above, plus monsters with instant kill or blow away moves
>dungeons that force you to backtrack constantly or hump walls to find all the treasures
>dungeons that do that, but also have one way teleporters or cut scenes that prevent you from backtracking
>game records how many times you die or run away
>game has timed hits and records how many times you fail
>timed hits in general
>game has complex dungeons but no map feature
>game has auto map feature, but range is too short so corners can't be filled in

fuck all of this shit. devs must know that tons of autists play their games, yet they put shit in that only serves to ruin the game for them anyway.

you sound like you need to git gud, fag

>game has auto map feature, but range is too short so corners can't be filled in
Easily fixable by making the map unlock based on chunks and working around that.

Everything else you just need to git gud.

1. Grinding shouldn't be the answer to a hard boss
2. Bosses should have recognizable patterns. Good bosses should have patterns that start slow so you can get the feel for it, but ramp up as you cross HP thresholds.
3. Dynamic Music. You should have a series battle theme that plays when you've got a boss down to 25% Health and a special variation for the final boss.
4. Tactics that work on you, should work on bosses. Your random encounters should be used to teach you styles of party set up/tactics. This is something Dragon Quest is good at.
5. Never EVER make battles feel pointless.

Paizuri mechanics

I fucking hate grinding so I agree with you, I want my game to have minimal grinding but more oriented on drops and using smarts to win, ofc people who like to grind will still be able to brute force bosses if they want to

Well, the image doesn't tell me HOW MANY I can pick, so might as well pick them all for an easier adventure.

it's not a question of being good or not you retards. I beat etrian odyssey 2 with my entire party at the exact same xp total, but I had to reset hundreds of times whenever someone died and the battle ended before I could revive.

Make sure they have a place and purpose because I even liked fishing in Deadly Premonition but it was out of place as fuck in the main story. Also likable characters because AC is really good at making me get attached to assholes.

Deadly Premonition is the only game to have a gasoline system...

>Based on drops
You're converting EXP grinding to Item grinding. You're not fixing the problem, you're shifting it.

BAD.

And your bosses will be shit if you can just brute force them. Your bosses should be treated like puzzles.

BAD.

why is there a shit ass filter on that perfect game?

>A relatively small hub world where I can chill.
>Large calming room in the middle of a dark and enemy ridden dungeon; soothing music and no monsters.
>If a room/location is meant to progress the story and I walk in, I don't have to backtrack to a shop or grind to make it through, no matter what.
>No enemy move can one shot my entire party unless I've been given a warning that it's coming.
>Subplots are boring. Every location should tie into the main plot, which is always moving forward.

wut?

That's just your autism and mine compelling you to do that, not the game's fault. Plus, if you're really so adamant about it, you should have rested your characters every time they got really out of level-sync.

I was thinking that each different town / location has different bugs that spawn at different times of day and they would spawn rarely, give it the same amount of purpose bug catching in skyward sword or twilight princess
are you okay user?

Not that user, but depending on how you do it, shifting the focus to item drops can be worse than just making the player grind shit out. EXP is always going to be there, but you're probably going to have to rely on the RNG to bless you with an item drop if it's done poorly, and that's arguably more irritating than regular grinding.

>No enemy move can one shot my entire party unless I've been given a warning that it's coming

This, I dropped P4 because of shit like this.

it is the game's fault. mechanics like that don't make the game more fun for anyone. they just make the game less fun for people with ocd.

>they just make the game less fun for people with ocd.
Dingdingding, we have winrar. The issue here is you user, not the game. If you don't want it to happen as much, if at all, try shifting your strategy a bit.

That's something to keep in mind, thank you anons
I'm not going to pander to your disease.

Here's a question for you guys. How much should an hp potion heal? Basic, medium, and high potions. And how much should they cost in a shop?

It's tough to answer objectively because it depends on a lot of different factors; how hard do you want the game to be? Limiting access to HP restoration is one way to achieve that.

Or they could be rare but powerful. Also, how much damage do you expect players to take in a given area/encounter? Do they have any other means of healing, like magic? If so, what else competes for their MP? Offense? Utility?

Long story short, that's a wrong question without proper framing.

I've always been a fan of how the Tales of series does their HP heals. They operate on Percentage of Health and Mana rather than flat numbers, thus rendering them useful nearly all the way through the game.

I'd go a step further and generally make it so that you can buy the percentage based healing items at stores and shops around the world, while having flat HP healing items be scattered about as enemy drops in the dungeons and levels. The only real issue with this is ensuring the price points for the items in the shop remain relatively consistent to your monetary income, a point easily ignoreable if you shift the moneysink to Armor and Weapons and shit.

I typed in cooking paper Mario and this is the garbage that came up, sorry user
prices really depend on how much you want your players to spend on items in general, do you want your players to value your potions more than your other items? that's the kind of question you should be asking yourself

Tales also has pretty low caps on how many of those you can carry which helps them from getting out of hand, in addition to an in-battle lockout for item usage that prevents spam, though they're still useful between battles to top off.

Yeah, that as well. If you keep the % based items at a relatively low cap but allow the player to stack flat items it might work out.

what strategy will always make you pick the path that leads to the treasure before the one that leads deeper into the dungeon so you only have to backtrack once instead of twice?

Boku no warpwire? Alternatively you could not be a scrub and use a Warding Bell to drop the encounter rate a damn good percentage, so you won't have to worry about enemies fucking you.

The only reason why I can assume you're asking that is because you constantly get your shit kicked in in the game, and barring you making a better party, those are your best options.

I'll try to describe what I'm about to say the best I can.

I really like going into buildings, be they NPC housing or stores and inns, and finding them reasonably decorated. It's so dreary when you go into a typical JRPG house and it's just a clone of every other house in the town. The same candle, the same crates in the corner, the same bookshelf and bed.

It's nice when you enter a building and immediately think "people live/work here" instead of just spamming A on all the items to loot their shit.

Yo-kai watch did this really well. All the buildings had an insane amount of character to them.

Job system. Like bravely default that can mix and match skills with job classes.

Also fuck permanent missables or one time only recruitable characters

>permanent missables
Shit, this is a good one. I can deal with 1 time Recruitments if it's amply foreshadowed and the player can easily intuit how to get them, but permanent missables is just flat out not fun, and encourages the player to just do tedious shit for 100% completion.

I really like the way LISA does recruits. He has a personal quest for most characters and you can go back and do them from most points in the story. I agree with the latter user, permanent missables suck ass and make hate the game. dark souls 3 fucked me up on that so hard, shit was vague

>I'm really going for combat like earthbound mixed with something with rhythm and interactive attacks
Literally Mother 3. Play that shit if you haven't already OP.

I have but it's not interactive enough

MAKE EQUIPPED ARMOR VISIBLE ON YOUR CHARACTER
ESPECIALLY IF YOU'VE GOT CRAFTING
I love Vagrant Story with all my heart, but equipment not appearing on Ashley is a fucking crime.

>hasn't beaten Mother 3
What are you doing with your life you double nigger? Mother 3 is fucking excellent.

I did beat it user, I'm just saying he battle system I'm going for would be more interactive. I fuckingg love that game

Oh, then that's fine.

I absolutely love it when RPGs have the NPCs and party members constantly have new things to say and do as the game goes on, no matter how minor, rather than spitting out the same canned line the entire game.
If I find myself wandering around town between events to see everybody's reactions and changes, I know it's a good game.
Take a look at Front Mission 3's huge fake internet, too. It's really helpful in making the world feel real.

I liked how Colette would have a little fun dialogue for interacting with dog npcs in Tales of Symphonia.

you're missing the point. no amount of getting gud will make it so you always pick the right path to avoid backtracking. you can't predict a character getting a lucky crit and killing the last enemy before your healer can cast revive on your character that got killed by an instant death move. it's not about the game being hard, it's about them being frustrating.

>timed hits in general

I really love it when each enemy has a completely unique strategy and/or gimmick. I really hate enemies that are "smack them until they eventually die".

>reach area of the map/world during story progression
>"You will need (insert unique Macguffin item here) to proceed."
>you already got that item during some backtracking/exploration
>ingame dialogue acknowledges this

It's not a gameplay mechanic, but it is fun/comfy to see that the developers acknowledge these situations.

Thanks for reminding me to play this series.

Include tropes of the genre but make them actually enjoyable. Inventory management that makes leaving town a little unsettling. Status effects that are actually worth the turn they cost. Equipment that's not just 'same thing you got in the last town but higher numbers and more expensive'.

rhythm games are shit and their mechanics can stay the fuck out

that dogs still there, hes probably been replaced a lot

ds3 missables arent really permanent, with ng+ going forever (and being really fast since you know where to go and how to do e verything)

Looks like somebody has trouble pushing a button at the right time.

There's probably some mechanics from paper mario that I don't love as 10/10s but probably most of them.

I'm legitimately autistic and having a bestiary you can fill up with tattle or a similar thing is amazing.

I also really loved metroid prime 2 because of the scanning lore.

this
and I like when I can examine everything and see the character's thoughts on it like in Megaman Battle Network or those RPG maker games

I'm glad there's a demand for a bestiary, id like there to be more benefits to collecting monster cards in addition to monster descriptions and card art

Whatever you do anondev for the love of god please don't give a game an anime artstyle. It legit looks retarded most of the time and almost every other game in existence already uses it.

it's going to be in my personal style user, I wouldn't do that to you

>you forget to scan a boss for the bestiary
>there's a part in the game you can go to that fills up the bestiary with things you missed

Collectibles that encourage you to explore and find secret areas and reward you for doing so either with flavor text or in-game items or both.

Truly, these people are wise and noble scholars.

I feel like being able to do a boss rush later on would be very fun, would let you get monster cards you missed as long as you can get to the boss without wiping out

If you dislike a bit of backtracking, then you're playing the wrong genre user. You're not always supposed to know where to go the first time in a dungeon crawler, that goes against the entire purpose of the genre.

And again, you're the autist that can't deal with that whole EXP thing, it's not the game's fault. Get over yourself and git gud.

that user must really hate RPGS, I don't know what he's doing in this thread tbqh senpai a lam

I don't know some do's, but I have some do not's:
>Forced to datamine the game for lore
>That one boss that forces you to backtrack to a forgotten area that kills the boss in one hit (Paper Mario SS)
>Status inflicting spells that are useless
>There is such thing as "Too much content"
>Enemies that are just a slightly stronger version of a previous enemy
>Over-reliance on Fourth Wall breaking
>Easily missable shit
>Dungeons that take up a good fraction of playtime
>Too much story
>Dungeons without a gimmick, just "Wander a maze to hit switches and keys or someshit"
>Confusing morality system

I would never pull the shit undertale did with faster
I feel like bosses shouldn't have gimmicks like ds3 so I'm not worried about that. Status infliction will be a bit tricky but there's a lot of good examples out there.
I really like unique creatures for each area. I don't intend on making palette swaps for enemies. fourth wall breaking would probably be a one time thing, it usually bbrings me out of the immersion. I feel like the over world should take more time than dungeons just because I hate dungeons in general. I would never implement a morality system just because I really don't like that shit.

I think a good way for status infliction is to make it hit all the enemies instead of one, and have enemies with strategies that make you think "Oh shit, it might be helpful to confuse them so blah blah blah..."

Alright anons, thank you for the many great suggestions. I made sure to write them all down. I'm going to bed but I'll make a new thread in a few days for some more discussion. I really want to make a comfy game for you guys.

it's not just a bit though. in most games by the time you've gotten all of the items in a dungeon you're overlevelled for the boss. it's even worse in games with the kind of automap that only adds squares that you walk on, so to map a 3x10 hallway you have to go back and forth 3 times.

>muh ideas

Too bad you will never complete your game, you'll get bored, lose track and uninstall RPGMaker like 95% of amateur devs do.

Team attacks that are radically different and viable dependent on team configuration. Aka chronotrigger style.

Post game thats more than just pallet swapped super boss dugeon. Pokemon gold did it well

Sidequests with worth wile results not just coin and exp

Grinding,

Oh boy, do I fucking love grinding.

I absolutely adore spending 2 minuets every 10 steps dealing with a group of well modelled enemies that have nothing to do with the story.

>Dynamic Music. You should have a series battle theme that plays when you've got a boss down to 25% Health and a special variation for the final boss.

The absolute biggest sin of Gen VI in pokemon was taking away the dynamic Gym music

youtube.com/watch?v=6FPz7yklWrA

>Enemies on the overworld avoid you if they know you are going to trounce them.
>There is a secret hidden collectible in almost every screen (Star Pieces)
>Hot Springs/Comfy Places that heal you by moving into them. These places have different designs in different parts of the game.
>New abilities/Partners unlock shortcuts in old screens that make traveling through old areas a breeze.