Why did everyone abandon this so quick...

Why did everyone abandon this so quick? It hasn't even been three months and people raise eyebrows at the notion that anyone today plays it.

Other urls found in this thread:

mynintendonews.com/2016/09/25/us-pokemon-go-back-on-top-in-top-grossing-charts-on-ios/
youtube.com/watch?v=7z6YPVsohzQ
youtu.be/2F46tGehnfo
appannie.com/apps/ios/top/
mynintendonews.com/2016/09/21/lapras-sighting-in-pokemon-go-causes-chaos-in-tokyo/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it's shit

I've seen multiple people playing it today alone

It's a tedious game with nothing to break up the tedium.

It's absolute shit. Why you could be invested in such a gimmick just shows how retarded pokemon fans are

Because it's barely a video game. The only reason people play it is because it was pokemon is popular. No one plays it for the gameplay. If people played it for the gameplay, Ingress would have been fucking huge.

>top grossing game
>WHY DOES NO ONE PLAY IT

way to go, Cred Forums, zero to doublefaggot in less than thirty words

I think most people playing it back then saw it as a fad that would die out soon. I think they played it because they wanted to look and feel trendy (like shopping for this season's shoe trends) and didn't want to miss out and be disconnected from what they perceive to be the "in-crowd."

But... but POKEMON!

I'll be honest, I only picked it up because my brother started playing it, even though I knew it'd be shit. He already dropped it.

>Play
>Implying there's gameplay

user there wasn't a hell of a lot to this app, I don't know what you expected

I never even played it.

It was really fun until you catch all the easily attainable Pokémon and you're left just praying a rare Pokémon sighting. There's basically no content after a certain point and at high levels even fucking Pidgeys are a bitch to catch with regular pokeballs.

They didnt.

No depth.

>Literally endless grind of going to pokestops and catching pokemon
>Gym mechanic is fucking garbage
>Entire point of catching pokemon was the gym mechanic

Yeah fuck that

>nobody is playing it
>its at the top again in the us
mynintendonews.com/2016/09/25/us-pokemon-go-back-on-top-in-top-grossing-charts-on-ios/

There are dozens of people of people in my town about to meet up in eight minutes, as they do every midnight.

They didn't add anything that people wanted. You know, like actual content on top of their FIND POKEMON gimmick. That really only works in metro areas because they used their fucking map from their other game instead of some sort of math formula.

-no battling friends.
-no battling wild pokemon.
-no trading.
-most places you would want to have it out while hiking won't have anything.

The endgame is literally collect and hatch eggs, no other way to get rares(IE walk all day everyday or hack). And so what if you get a rare, now you need 248 duplicates to max 1 out.

Absolute garbage even by modern pokemon standards.

they took out tracking.. that was like the whole point of the game

>oh boy you caught your favourite pokemon?
>now go out and catch 300 more so you can evolve that sucker and make him stronger
>oh but you can't really do anything with it anyway apart from the crappy gyms

My whole town is team blue and I picked yellow first day the game released so there's really no point in beating gyms.

People didn't stop. No clue what the fuck you are talking about

Totally agree
And even if you find a rare, you still need several of them in the chance it will be strong
The buddy mechanic they just introduced is pretty laughable too. Walk 5km to gain ONE candy,fuck that

It gets kind if boring when you mostly have all the pokemon.
No trading, battles or anything of interest is in. Most will be back when that's introduced

I gave up when widgets started taking 15 great balls to catch

Go outside
there are tons of people still playing

I use pokemesh to walk for me. my buddy is at 150km+ already. Leveled up my starter pokemon from 13cp to 463cp

The game is boring, randomly generated spawns removes any sense of direction. Walking around draining your battery flicking your phone is only fun for so long. They then release an update to make Pokemon harder to catch so you waste more Pokemon balls and have to spend real money.

Only people left playing this are autists and kids of course.

Everyone wanted a game where you would be able to create and raise a team of your favorite Pokemon to battle and being able to catch a wide variety of Pokemon. Battling is even more mindless than mainline Pokemon and unless you go out of your way, you won't catch much outside Pidgeys, Weedles, and Spearows. I understand Game Freak/Nintendo probably wouldn't allow Niantic to make a game that functions exactly like a mainline Pokemon game, but PoGo still manages to be an underwhelming game

Haha does anyone have that funny picture of the guy with the saddle on his neck? haha really makes me laugh haha

Every single one of these threads has people saying "PEOPLE DIDN'T STOP YOU RETARDS! I LITERALLY SAW LIKE 4 PEOPLE PLAYING TODAY!"

A dozen nerds meeting up to play downtown isn't like what Pokemon GO first started out. I don't know about some of you faggots and your shitty cities, but in my city is was really insane how many people were playing. Yeah sure, people still play, but when I walk past the spot where tons of people would gather at night to "play" pokemon go, there's only a handful now and they're all fat or weird looking or both. Normies dropped this shit. It's all neckbeards and children.

Again, the contrarians that say BUT PEOPLE STILL PLAY are missing the point. This game started out with every other person playing but because of it being shit, the only people that are left playing are autistic MUST COLLECT EVERYTHING neckbeards and children.

It's a shame though. I don't think Niantic could have fucked up this game any more than they did. Not having tracking is the biggest set back. There's literally no reason with all the money they've made why there's no tracking still. I'd even open it again just to check it out if it had tracking, but alas.....

That's more lame than actually walking that distance to level your pokemon up. At least you'd get some damn good exercise and actually worked for your stats. You're just another fag that exploits a shitty pokemon mobile game. Pathetic.

>mobile fad "game" whose only claim to fame was appealing to millennials childhood nostalgia
>hyped for a few months, then fades into obscurity

yeah, what a surprise

They discontinued necrobot and banned their users so like half the playerbase dropped it

You should have many more pokemon appear evey time you go out. Also levels go up way too slowly.

Incense doesn't do shit.

Is this your first mobile game? Give me one other that managed to survive past the first month and a half.

The mobile audience doesn't have a long attention span.

But the game is nowhere near 'dead' and was only surpassed in sales because of some stupid ass Clash of Clans promotion.

Winter is coming, not many will go out.

But maybe I'm wrong and there will be tons of fatasses in hueg coats walking about catching pokeymans.

>everyone lives in US

>took out features
>made useless updates that no one asked for
>decreased catch rate
>couldnt update a xp bug for an entire month

the game turned into shit.

>implying any of /vp/ likes this shit

Most Pokemon fans hate this game, you dingus

youtube.com/watch?v=7z6YPVsohzQ

Overhyped in its first two weeks of release + the stupid 'go outside' gimmick, matched with extremely limited gameplay. It wasn't designed to have any longevity.

kek fucking niggers man.

Clash of Clans. That game is pretty dead now, but it had a very long run as far as mobile games go. It had a god damn super bowl commercial and made billions. Clash Royale has taken over now.

So there's one mobile game that most definitely survived longer than a month...It's going on like 3+ years now at least.

People abandon ftp games shortly aftrr release. It still has millions of people who play it worldwide though. So its one of the most successful games in retaining players.

It wasn't an alternative to the pokemon games
yeah, you found them in real life but everything else was dumbed down and it only features first gen stuff. It appealed to a large audience by becoming a flavor of the month game like flappy bird but didn't have enough to keep fan's attention.

Because it's boring, grindy, and not satisfying in the long run?

This. It was like a textbook example of a fad game, it never stood a chance of holding all its players no matter what. Obviously it still could be going stronger if it actually had any interesting gameplay, but the vast majority of masses would have abandoned it by now anyway.

You can't battle other players directly.

Oh this, 100%
Early days with the game i went on a massive 20 km multi day hike through mountains.
Absolutely nothing.

The game doesn't reward skill.
It is all RND,
as a level 25 poketrainer i should have no problem catching a CP 25 bulbasaur. Like that shouldn't even be a challenge.
Instead it seems like the difficulty to catch just raises as you raise level.

Gym battling is a joke. Just tap wildly to win, Honestly they may aswell just add an autobattle feature to resolve combat instantly and save everyone from pounding on their screen.

The thing that got me out of the game was quite easy.
If this was on PC would i play it?
Take away the mobile aspects of it, so say you ran your little character around with a joystick on the world map.
I wouldn't fucking touch this game.

I got tired of walking around the same park/mall in order to get pokeballs.

when it was popular the second people started using cheats (like bots, abusing the shittily programmed game's glitches, pokevision) i had not further interest in it and I knew it was going to plummet the next week,

it did.

Basically this for me. Initially it was somewhat exciting but mostly that was due to the nature of the tracking system and being able to literally hunt down desired Pokemon.

With the shitty system in place now, you basically have to wander around and hope for the best since Pokemon distance can only be determined in relation to other Pokemon. Once a Pokemon is the closest one to you, it's a crapshoot.

Hopefully it becomes a more fully featured game eventually but as it stands, it's a TCG where all you can do is pick up cards.

Have they?

Its playerbase has declined by what, 50%? Doesn't that merely change it from "massive social phenomenon" to merely "insanely popular top-grossing game"?

The game has no depth, but where are you getting this stuff about people raising eyebrows? I saw the game mentioned 3 times in the funnies over the last week. It's still very popular.

Puzzles and Dragons

Actually, now that temperatures are dropping below the 90's, I might start going outside. When the game launched, going for a walk was a death sentence.

P.S. Fuck Las Vegas.

>go for long walks to all kinds of different places to see what kinds of rare Pokemon I can find
>wind up with fuck all
>go stand between three lured Pokespots in the most crowded part of town
>double my Pokedex and level in a couple of hours
This was the exact moment the gimmick completely wore off, but it was amusing for a few days at least.

op is confusing the Cred Forums echochamber with the whole world.

>the funnies

I got out of rehab two weeks after it released and was so hyped to play. I called my brother on the phone and talked with him about it and my hype died in two seconds
>man I cant wait to battle you and my friends in pokemon go!
>actually you cant battle other trainers
>oh. well at least I can use what I catch to battle wild pokemon
>you cant battle wild pokemon either. you just throw balls at them until theyre caught
>can you battle anyone?
>yeah there are gyms but theyre not that great
>what do you even do with the pokemon you catch?
>you just kind of keep them and look at them
nice. glad everyone was cumming over a game about collecting pokemon stickers

a-are you saying there's a world outside of Cred Forums

Early on I loved it, but when you get right down to it the game gets extremely tedious very quickly. I was still into it at first because I thought that updates were going to start coming at a decent pace. And not like, "hey here's a function that should have been here day 1" I'm talking about adding in Gen 2 Pokemon or something. I mean they had one of the biggest mobile app games EVER and they basically just sat back and said "yeah this is fine we don't have to do any more work"

I'll bet they haven't even started working on Gen 2 Pokemon yet, speaking of.

>50%

This seems a bit off, in my city I maybe see a couple people possibly playing it a day, compared to hundreds of people walking around playing it. Maybe the game is still somewhat popular in cities with the pokestop feature, but otherwise it seems dead.

Its a scary thought

Back to drugs for you I guess.

To be absolutely fair, I've been hearing that traffic in the game has dropped by like 90%.

Probably still extremely popular but the game is pretty much proven to suck at retaining people

So what? When the game released its player numbers were unprecedented. Of course it wouldn't maintain that number. It's still the highest grossing, most played mobile game.

Saying "everyone dropped it" is srong. End of discussion

There's nothing to work on when it comea to adding new Pokemon. Pokemon GO uses the same Pokemon 3D models as the mainline games. They have all the models readily available from Game Freak.

This. I wasn't super hyped for this game, but my family owns a 150 acre farm with a lot of woods and shit and I was looking forward to driving back home and wandering my farm but when I visited my dad a month after it came out, I saw there was literally nothing around him. Like not even pidgeys. So I didn't bother. You shouldn't have to live in a city to enjoy this game. I don't want to "explore" my downtown. I want to go out in nature, but nope.

And yeah, I was like level 20 something before I quit and noticed after the update I was having issues catching the most basic of pokemon at super low levels. Other times I'd catch a high level pokemon that's more rare on the first try.

Who the fuck are these people at Niantic? They should win an award for taking one of the biggest videogame franchies of all-time and making a mobile game that had every reason to be fun and turn it into absolute shit. I dont think most other companies could make pokemon go suck so hard even if they tried. But hey, as others have stated, they made their cash and kids still play so I guess they cashed out.

Oh so it's even WORSE than what I think? They pretty much have it all done already and they're just... taking forever to update for no reason?

Man that's kinda depressing

50% was a random guess, I saw 30% a while ago and extrapolated. I really doubt it's 90%.

This. We're all excited for SM on /VP/

>Why did everyone abandon this so quick? It hasn't even been a month and people raise eyebrows at the notion that anyone today plays it.

Mobile games are destined to fall off after a month of release. The fact it held strong for 2 months just shows how big it is, but ultimately fads fade. People who grew up on Gen 1 wanted to relive it to a degree, and they did, and then moved on. Poeple who love Pokemon just plain got bored of it.
Me and my mom still go out to parks and play it from time to time, gives us a fun mutual activity together which we don't have too much of.

Hey faggot read

tl;dr
It was a fad, what's not to understand.

That's all Nintendo is capable of being responsible for now is flash in the pan fads, this however unlike the Wii didn't bring them much money worth talking about. Nintendo did this out of disparity out of losing traction in the industry, all this really did was prove 2 things.

1:Anything they do now will be a flash in the pan, and 2: They have brand recognition.

Their move to try to get in the "red ocean" of the mobile market is proof of this, they've lost their place in hardware. If the NX isn't a total flop I will literally shit my pants in surprise, because I truly think they dont have any hardware relevancy left.

They released a game with like, two features and they haven't added anything new in months. For the most part you'll only see the same shit in your neighborhood, and if you do happen to stumble into something rare the odds you'd actually catch it are super god damn low. And if you DO catch it it's going to take you ages to actually evolve or power the thing up to be worth a shit - assuming the pokemon in question is even capable of being worth a shit due to the crappy balance.

They had all the makings of a great game fucking handed to them, and they didn't do a single god damn thing with it.

Did I say everyone dropped it? I said there are plenty of neckbeards and children that play it, but it's nowhere near where it was even after a month it was out and most everyone that isn't an autistic neckbeard or child got over the fad.

learn to read nignog

I honestly think this game would be more popular nowadays if Niantic would just fucking talk to their audience every now and then. Seriously for being the developer of one of the most popular mobile games ever their PR department is complete shit. So much silence on topics they should have long spoken up about , and they're still not being upfront about any sort of a release schedule or anything.

I want to like this game but it's like Niantic just turns its back on me constantly

Do you think his entire body is covered in tattoos and his nipples are pierced?

I'm really into Pokemon, but I couldn't get into GO since I would spend half an hour walking while barely getting anything. If there was an achievement feature where you were given badges for certain feats it would've given me a reason to pursue further.

Unless you are near a major cluster of pokestops (downtown, mall, parks) you will never have enough pokeballs to have regular fun.

Also, nothing but rattataa pidgeys and fucking drowsees.

Seriously wtf is up with drowsees? They weren't common in the anime

>That’s anecdotal, but it’s also true! Pokémon Go spent weeks at or near the top of the iTunes rankings for free apps. Now it’s 30th. According to the latest numbers from app market analyst Apptopia, monthly active users plummeted from 50.2 million on August 12 down to 32.4 million on Sept 10. Average session times fell sharply as well, from 6.82 minutes to 5.41 The implication: That sure ended fast.

Another article I read said that it had 500 million total downloads.

Pretty steep decline, you also have to consider that a good portion of the "active" users are just bots, since people can and do run dozens of bots at once.

they arent frequent in my area. Must be your area's specialty.

>It had a god damn super bowl commercial and made billions.
youtu.be/2F46tGehnfo

Hey faggot, read actual data
appannie.com/apps/ios/top/

It's still the top-grossing game. Of course it's declined, at its peak it was a complete phenomenon, that kind of popularity can't be sustained long no matter what.

>phone game becomes popular
>dies after a month
it lasted longer than most phone games.
It was really fun the first day me and my friend went to the park and there were literally 100s of people there.

Yeah and almost as retarded are the people saying IT'S A FUCKING BLUNDER when it did insanely well for a good month i.e. longer than 95% of mobile games

The devs are the biggest hacks ever.

Also it's still the top grossing game, so

Pokemon go was the Gangnam Style of phone games.
[spoilers] its been 4 years since gangnam style[/spoiler]

Doesn't this game make them technically "Digi"-mon?

I also live in Vegas, I remember I was in Spring Valley park when the Pokemon Go craze was at its peak and there were hundreds of people there at any given time catching pokemon, somebody's phone was jacked by a dindu, he decided to give chase and ended up getting stabbed. People here are fucking retarded.

People still play it, just that the fad ended leaving the dedicated people playing it.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Japan is still so obsessed over it the police have to be called any time a lapras shows up.

mynintendonews.com/2016/09/21/lapras-sighting-in-pokemon-go-causes-chaos-in-tokyo/

but Cred Forums told me pogo was dead in japan and playing it is now considered deepry dishonorabu

Niantic chewed off more than they can eat tbqh

Game would've been great if instead of letting Niantic handle everything they just saw the release client and then took over the project so it would've released complete and the updates would just have been balancing and new content (like Gold/Silver mons)

Instead we all got a late Alpha/Early Beta with a cash shop attached

I can't bot anymore and piss people off

I'm pretty sure the game wasn't ready to be released, but Niantic HAD to release it before summer was over to get the most people possible playing it.

I don't think they were ready. It almost felt like they were actively trying to sabotage their own game while not communicating ANYTHING to the playerbase.

The updates now are too late. They had lightning in a bottle and threw it away. This is probably the last time we'll get a new Pokemon game that doesn't adhere to the basic formula for a long, long, time.

RIP

>This is probably the last time we'll get a new Pokemon game that doesn't adhere to the basic formula for a long, long, time.
Do you mean literally any spin off? They just had rumble like a year ago.

If you mean the main series formula SM seems to be breaking most of that

To be fair niantic had like 12 employees when the game came out

Cred Forums is retarded. It has experienced a drop off much like the US but Japanese really fucking love their phones so many still play it. It has become one more thing to do on the train, walking, waiting etc., much like checking facebook or instagram.

Pokemon go didnt bring in a lot of money but mainline pokemon game sales spiked about a week after the game came out so they did accomplish something

>not reading the paper

It got popular because Pokemon is still rather big, all the normies have phones, but won't buy 3DS for mainline games. So it was a fad for a month and then normies got bored like always.

>people raise eyebrows at the notion that anyone today plays it.
It was like that since the start.
Except it wasn't normalfags raising eyebrows, but rather anyone who can look at a game past the lies of people trying to get you to buy it.

They basically did what early access is without saying that it was early access.
People got bored with the unfinished product when everyone started hitting a skill ceiling and moved on.

>skill ceiling
>skill

Oh hush you know what I mean.

It just sounds so ridiculous.

in about 10 minutes of playing, you find out theres no content

I remember reading an interview with a Niantic dev around when the game came out. He mentioned that the amount of users they had in one week was the amount they expected to have in one year. It seems so odd that they didn't realize how quick this popular it would become. I'm positive that the gross underestimate of users cause all the server problems when the game first started, and the lack of contents since they were probably overwhelmed.

Yeah. The niantic ceo described the game they launched as the "Minimum Viable Product." Which is a good description.

They wanted those summerbucks.