Earthbound Romhacking is at a surprisingly far point given its status as a slightly niche game...

Earthbound Romhacking is at a surprisingly far point given its status as a slightly niche game, and with the latest tools you can very easily swap out any sprite with a properly indexed 16-color png that is up to 128x128 pixels
Some of you may already know this and I'm sure most of you know where I'm going with this
There are 230 enemies stored in the game, not all of them are used, not all of them have sprites, a few of them directly reuse another enemy's sprite for one reason or another, and plenty of them are merely recolors of one-another.
So how about we collaborate on a simple sprite-hack of Earthbound.
Submit any PNG that is 16 colors and at most 128x128. When making a sprite, keep in mind the following
>These sprites can only have 16 colors total, that includes a color that will be counted as transparent
>The only 128x128 battle sprite in the vanilla game is The Devil's Machine, otherwise known as Giygas phase 1. Most large enemies are only 64x64, and small things like ramblin' evil mushrooms are 32x32.
>you can skip the process of making the file have the right color depth, I will handle that.

Think of this like a mosaic thread, only it's gonna be in an interactive Role Playing Game
If this attracts enough attention, I (we) may even go through the trouble of changing attack text, enemy stats, and other flavor text associated with the new rogues gallery

If you begin making a sprite, be sure to claim the enemy slot before someone else beats you to the punch.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!NxMiEaAZ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

One shameful self-bump but also a bit of further elaboration
when you submit
>filename is the enemy number you're submitting for
>post text is the new enemy name.
>>there is a limit to namesize, but it's based on the width of the text and not a character limit. Just use logic and assume that "WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW" probably won't fit.

What number is the crow guy? Because I have a terrible idea I want to try.

159 it would seem
Calling that a claim

Can't think of a name. I was just thinking of socking it to NoA for censoring the crow's cigarette in the first game.

How about like, "Rebel Rodent" or something?

Yeah that works.

Say, would you mind uploading 076 onto here for me, please? I wanna fuck around with it directly instead of making a whole new sprite, if that's okay.

Alrighty

I tried.
It's supposed to be based off Michael Jackson's Thriller costume, so make of that what you will.
I can't think of a name that sounds good.

It's called "urban zombie" by default so it could still apply
A few others I could suggest are "Bad Zombie" "Thrilling Zombie" and "Dancin' Zombie"
also an image I probably should've already posted
>"why are some enemies there more than once?"
Unbeatable versions of Master Belch and the Clumsy Robot I believe
>"why does it skip X?"
Either unused slot or an enemy who normally lacks a sprite (like Giygas)
>"What's with the yellow Porky"
I have no clue and whatever sprite gets in for Porky I plan on just duplicating their sprite in the same palette as that yellow Porky
>"what if I claim a sprite that gets directly reused, such as the clumsy robot?"
Your sprite will be used for both slots, since they are the same enemy
>"what if I claim an enemy that gets recolored?"
palette swaps are counted as seperate enemies, so people can claim a specific version of an enemy

>Thrilling Zombie
Pretty good, that could work.

I guess I'll bump for OP. Cred Forums seems pretty slow tonight.

Turns out this uses more than 16 colors. Is this edit acceptable?
this was A-OK

Also for future contributions, make the background a distinct color (not transparent) from the rest of the sprite. Makes things easier.

Yeah that edit is fine

bump, dont want this to 404 while im doing something

Gib 077

Cred Forums is too slow for this shit

Make a new thread with a way more succint and energetic OP

Kinda considering just saying "fuck it" and let someone else have this, because I don't really have any better ideas for a ghost-y enemy than this, but I might as well post it anyways I guess.
Of course, the above is assuming OP gives a shit about what the enemy that's being replaced was before getting replace
So I guess you can sorta put this on "Completed until something better pops up" or something.

>"Completed until something better pops up"
that would be "denied"
And generally the enemy being replaced is irrelevant, 'yall can feel free to put what you want on a slot.
Enemy name will be "fuck it" for now
I was thinking throwing this at /vr/ if this thread dies before it gets populated

Updated list of taken sprites? I want to make one.

see 77 was made by , who seems to be okay letting it get replaced

Nice, thank you. I'd take #24, can you post it?

Thanks. Let's see what can I do.

Over Porky

Ok, I tried.
>You encounter the Todd Howard
>Todd begs Ness to preorder Fallout 4
>Todd tries Rage Scream

Put it on the most common enemy of the game.

It's the Barney, your favorite dino!

Could I have the pic for 013 or alternatively 014, I don't care, please?
Also, I think it'd probably be a good idea if you put all these images into a rar or something and put it up on mediafire so we didn't have to ask you for them.

Needed just a bit of editing, using this edit
I actually couldn't tell you what enemy that would be. iirc spiteful crows appear stupidly late in the game despite being some of the first enemies, so possibly them. However, the spiteful crow's slot has already been taken, so you'll have to manually pick one.

My policy on removal is simply "if a buncha people tell it to fuck off and something comes along to replace it, it's gone", so if you don't like something someone has put up then come up with something better.
Putting on a trip just in case, I guess

good idea
mega.nz/#!NxMiEaAZ

!cfGDSbpbPs_vFjPm_0XzSk1Nf6XsWuvqS3prO6tuLos

RAR has everything that Coilsnake extracts from the rom.

I'll choose 207

I'm claiming 88

The duck

wtf why are these sprites so fuckin creepy

Picking 146.

Choosing 214 for this MMs guy

I realize you probably intended to have that sprite over all the low-leveled starmen, but that particular sprite is actually the Starman JUNIOR from the intro.

Should "Starman Junior" and "Starman" still share a sprite?

Bumping for when I get home

i guess

Number 88 is done.
I call it the Mad Cuck

I was also considering making it a fuck instead.

Done, it's Olimar.

Oh yeah, I forgot the name. Fuck.
I guess "Son of Dob" would work, or if you wanna be clever it could be "Son of Bot", since it's based on the atomic powered robot sprite, I guess.

What about Andrew Botson?

Yeah, either one could work, really.

They're in
I was expecting a different tiny gamecube character when you claimed clumsy robot. Olimar's in
Doing this name

Chibi robo, isn't it?

Alright, I'm going to sleep. Hopefully this picks up some more speed by tomorrow.
Good night.

Side note: I hope that whoever does 135 makes him douk noukem. Seems like it's too good of an opportunity to pass up.

Unfortunately, Cred Forums isn't very creative in general.
The best thing OP can do is insisting making threads for weeks at different times. He must not give up at the first attempt.
Also, this idea is very cool and I need to see it completed.

Of course

By the way I will also begin accepting submissions for "don't care" names.
Each character has seven and you also name your dog, your favorite thing, and your favorite food. This is a really easy switch so no harm in opening it up this early.
Glad to hear the support

Hell, this isn't easy. I'll make one proposal for each thing.
>Ness
Sans
>Paula
Anita
>Jeff
Nerd
>Poo
Poop
>Dog
Dogmeat
>Favourite thing
NTR
>Favourite food
Pineapple pizza (If it's too long, then put "frogs")

Should've specified character limit
Main characters: 5 letters
Dog, foot, and thing: 6 letters

Everything there is in except Dogmeat

Hell. Let's see, a good animal name. What about:
>Idefix

It's in

Bumperino

>Idefix
Patrician taste.

OP, how about LQ-84i for a Dog name?
Also, I may get in on the spriting if this is still going when I get off of work. Are original sprites allowed or is it just edits?

Of course original sprites are allowed, just keep it to the right dimensions and the right amount of colors

Will you be making these threads again later throughout the day/night?
Want to participate, but I got work first

If the thread dies I'll start it up again in ~8 hours

Bump

Sweet. Bumping