Why is this game so fucking good

Why is this game so fucking good

>Awesome progression
>Tens of bosses with exclusive items
>Over 50 unique weapons and accessories
>Tons of collectibles like trophies, boss items, unique items, banners
>Biomes with exclusive items
>Hardmode, Expert mode for extra difficulty

It just has so much content as both an action game and a building game.

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/LVj9ziv.jpg
forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-otherworld-bringing-you-up-to-speed.47302/
forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/youre-gonna-need-a-bigger-boat-the-ocean-biome-in-terraria-otherworld.48795/
youtube.com/watch?v=V-gyPYxBl4g
reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/3fg6s1/map_with_enhanced_vanilla_biomes/?st=itk8engd&sh=a7ec68db
twitter.com/AnonBabble

who knows, maybe cause the developer is great?

>Won't post in this thread because I have nothing to complain about

One reason is it's been around so long and it's treated like minecraft with constant free updates. I remember loving it before they added hardmode and it's just got better and better. Terraria otherworld is in the works now and I personally can't wait.

>the balance is fucked
>rng hell
>devs listen to the official forum echo chamber
>lazy item progression - every item will always be replaced by another one that does that little extra bit of damage until you reach the top tier
>rng hell
>no proper difficulty setting because muh hardcore
>rng hell

i mean i really like it and completed it on expert mode but fucking hell

Has shit balancing at times and Red is guilty of going full retard with nerfs, also has a bad habit of letting e-celeb faggots play the game early to "generate hype :)"

Other than that, yeah, this is honestly one of the better indie games that's come out in the past like, 10 years. Lot of value for what you pay, nice satisfying gameplay (for the most part), and addictive as fuck.

9/10 bretty gud

what's so fun about a 2D game like this anyway... doesn't Minecraft exist?

someone please explain

>Different people like different things
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Minecraft is almost entirely about building shit while terraria has a really big focus on bossfighting, collecting rare items, progression, and so on.

Actual combat

I hate mining for shit, it takes too long to go down and back and you never know if you're gonna fall down a hole you can't see the bottom of and die.

What do I do?

>People were calling Terraria a Minecraft rip-off in its early days
>It's the better game of the two by light years
I love it.

Otherworld looks like pure ass though; nothing like OG Terraria. Hell, I'd pick StarBound over how Otherworld fuckin looks.

> you never know if you're gonna fall down a hole you can't see the bottom of

How about actually lighting your way you fuckin retard?

Being a better game then Minecraft.

I remember a bunch of 11 year olds were talking at a food court on their parents celphones about how Terraria has bad "graphics" compared to Minecraft

This is the future........

Rope, climbing claws/spike shoes, or most importantly, a hook

problem is that now that ive beaten the moon lord I kind of dropped it - theres nothing to do now

Minecraft is literally "hurr durr swing sword and wear armor GG"

You act like a tard in terraria you get your shit kicked in, you have to be constantly moving and the bosses on hard mode are legitimately challenging

Really user? The art direction took a different turn, so now you won't play it no matter how good the gameplay is?

How does the new one look?

Got all the best items in slot for each inventory slot + demon heart?

I'm pretty sure /vg/ has their own terraria servers if you check the general.

>red quits, citing his kid needing attention and care then shilling starbound in the same fucking post
>starbound flops massively
>terraria gets updated again
lel
I mean I got the game for free from a youtube raffle, but still, i'd be pissed if he dropped support suddenly like that after all the fucking shit he teased. He added most of it in 1.2 though so it's okay.

Did they add a way to stop the invasions yet? When I played the game it started throwing neverending sun eclipse events at me when I finished the game and just wanted to build something.

I've played since near the start, and the only things I can really complain about is throwing class being a thing but never really being expanded on, it has like what...2 armors and 1 decent craftable throwing weapon? That and biome spread was never needed, it's an annoyance to be quite honest. A fan map handled the biomes better than red and his team.

>keeping biomes isolated until hardmode
>starting with both as islands
>that jungle

i.imgur.com/LVj9ziv.jpg

This really did the biomes right.

it is pretty neat. I just really wish I could build something other than a square shitling house or some silly in-wall house all the time.

Seeing the game works the way it does just console command an item into your inventory if it's taking way too long to find it.

>Awesome progression
Only up until WoF, then you can choose which skinner box you prefer.
>>Tens of bosses with exclusive items
Bad gameplay mechanics to fight the bosses
>>Over 50 unique weapons and accessories
Used in only a handful different ways
>>Tons of collectibles like trophies, boss items, unique items, banners

just use tshock and turn off spreading.

What the shit should i be even doing after getting meteorite armor? Aside from building/farming, it feels like i'm stuck in a constant cycle of go underground exploring, teleport home after almost dying and repeat.

Also, just thinking about having to deal with the crimson/corruption in hardmode gives me anxiety.

Head all the way to either the left or right and start doing the dungeon.

forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-otherworld-bringing-you-up-to-speed.47302/

forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/youre-gonna-need-a-bigger-boat-the-ocean-biome-in-terraria-otherworld.48795/

I might be seeing things but the later screenshots look a little bit more detailed than the pre-alpha ones.

>a building game.

>MP build server
Map is covered in incoherent puke.
Floating rainbow house every few steps.
People there are just flying around in end game gear, spawning 100 bosses every now and then because they're bored out of their minds, they go ahead and kill the bosses by holding down one button and then they laugh.

>MP progression server
People don't have time for building since it doesn't really give anything.
1-2 people may build a simple house and then it's time for WoF.

I can't beat skellington, despite having full meteor equipment, laser gun and the EoC expert shield. Also accessories based on defense. Not sure what i'm doing wrong.

Early game and early post-WoF both suck dick progression-wise.
Building housing for vendors sucks dick.
Tons of complete trash that never gets used because balance is fucked.
There's so much shit you'll fill your inventory up in no time at all

make a proper arena to fight him on
use food & potions

BEES
Bees-Knees
Beenades
Bee-pack
Archery potion
Ironskin potion
Swiftness potion
Set up a long platform above the ground

>building game
>2D
may as well start up MSPaint

>Early game and early post-WoF both suck dick progression-wise.
You've got that mixed up

I found a underground jungle shortly before i quit playing, will focus on it next time i play.

I did all that, guess i need to gitgud

If I remember correctly his defence drops drastically when he does his spinning head attack, so wail on him when he does that.
Might also be a good idea to take out the hands, they inflict slowness and just generally get in the way of things. I don't think he regenerates them.

>le future

Fuck off

"..." isn't an argument

>You act like a tard in terraria you get your shit kicked in, you have to be constantly moving and the bosses on hard mode are legitimately challenging
Movement in Minecraft is better

terraria movement is ezmode due to all the movetechs and surround view

Man, I thought Otherworld was dead.
The devs were radio silent for so long.

>2D building game

Where?

"Tons of collectibles like trophies, boss items, unique items, banners" isn't an argument for why it's good either

Played this piece of shit for 20 minutes and had absolutely no desire to continue.

You have got to be sorta brainless to find joy in mindlessly mining and building pointless shit. But hey, autists love Minecraft, so I guess this game gets its following from similar sources?

>Minecrafts's shitty wading through mud everywhere movement
>Good

Pick one

t. ADHD patient

>run for 30 seconds
>hunger bar depletes to shit, forcing you to use horses who can't even pass through a river
Yeah, no.

Why? They're fun to collect and decorate your shit with. I've got a room with all the boss trophies in it.

>Building

I think you're playing the wrong game.

>Terraria
>building game
the only """"building"""" you'll be doing in this game are commieblocks to keep your retarded vendor NPCs contained in rooms where they can't get themselves killed by literally anything that moves (jokes on you they'll still manage to get killed by noclip mobs) and a giant storeroom to house all the literal garbage the game fills your inventory with

the only fun thing about the game is the progression, and even then only before you kill WoF, then the numbers just go balls to the wall and you get raped by literally anything even a single tier above your tier of armor because "dude you have to enjoy it with friends lmao xd"
fuck the pumpkin/frost moons

>have you guys ever played terraria?
>yeah but I never really got into it.
>oh why not?
>Well.. I mean come on it's 2D minecraft. I dropped it on the first night.

I've had this conversation a total of 6 times with separate people.

t. faggot who never learned how to mod minecraft

Post stuff you've built faggots.

>being so bad you can't even feed yourself

I still find it funny how Cred Forums says there are no good indie games on one hand while practically worshiping this game on the other. Do people not realize Terraria is indie?

It's not though?

I played it way back in 2011 and I remember it being really fun digging and getting metals to make stuff.

I installed it last week and have about 6 hours logged and it's just meh. I literally cannot find iron fucking anywhere to make stuff and underground mobs are really shit now I have nothing to fight them with. What the hell happened?

>I think you're playing the wrong game.
Building is literally one of the key features of the game, according only to the official fucking website.

>2D minecraft
>When building is such a secondary thing you can pretty much ignore it entirely

I don't get it. Terraria was exploring/some mining/boss fighting for me and nothing more. I made a few commie blocks for NPCs and that's it.

>What happened

get gud

But that's literally endgame Minecraft

Diamond armor and sword/bow and you win instantly.

At least in Terraria there are different combos, even end-game, that are all viable.

>One of the key features
>one of

So don't build then faggot. Go fight and do the other key features. How retarded are you?

>What the hell happened?
You didn't read the patch notes so you don't know that your world can spawn with lead instead of iron now and all ores have an alternate version.

>>What happened
>get gud

I am good, and you didn't explain what happened. where did all the fun go

Where i get that map? Looks so good man!

Cmon lad, eye of cthulu is a fucking joke boss.

If you can't beat him you really are a retard and you need to go back to playing Nintendo games.

You're the one telling people not to build, when half the game revolves around building. There are tons of options that make it much more satisfying than building in Minecraft

>rng hell

Love the game but I totally agree. Some items (ex. Biome keys) are just flat-out retarded. Also reforging needs some work

>Half the game revolves around building

No it doesn't. As I explain above, I built commie blocks at most for my NPCs and never touched building again.

Shit nigger, there goes your argument.

youtube.com/watch?v=V-gyPYxBl4g

Do you know what "key feature" means? It means the game heavily revolves around building shit. You can't exactly ignore it entirely. If you did, you might as well play a better fucking game while you're at it.

>having to eat 300 pieces of pork per travel because the vanilla hunger system is shit
I know this is a common grip with modern Minecraft, but it's a legit one.

Everything else with the updates was fine except this, holy fuck.
The only difference is they look slightly different, they're functionally the same! Why even bother having alternate ores!?

>You can't exactly ignore it entirely

Weird, I did exactly that and beat the Moon Lord.

The fact that you don't do it means nothing. I could easily play the game by only building and doing minimal combat. Does that mean you shouldn't do combat?

Use one of many different light sources, miner helmet is good early on, the shadow orb is easy to obtain and requires no item switching just set it and forget it but my fav was the flare gun as you can very quickly illuminate a large area with it.

Also make yourself a hook asap the basic ones are fairly easy to make.

>Want to enjoy the game
>Have to worry about corruption fucking everything up

>So don't build then faggot
>I built commie blocks at most for my NPCs
So you either build or you don't, make up your fucking mind already. The fact that you go to such lengths to simply bypass the building process proves how shitty the game really is. Boy sure is fun ignoring a large part of the game, because it's shit.

>Does that mean you shouldn't do combat

No, you'll never progress and unlock late tier items. Even builders HAVE to fight bosses if they want specific building components, unless they just cheat everything in.

>Because it's shit

I never said it's shit, were your parents related before they were married? I said that you can ignore it entirely if you don't want to do it and focus entirely on combat, with the only requirement being to build a few rooms for NPCs. You trying to convey that as "Ha, see you have to actually build and the game is only about building!" is idiotic drivel.

I would say learn to read, but doing that with an extra chromosome must be a bit difficult for you.

>Those two blocks of corrupted sand JUST out of reach from the clementator's reach
Rev up that T-edit

>no place to place and organize your chests
>no nurse to help heal during the middle of bosses, a must-have for solo expert mode
>no demolitionist to breaking your firsts shadow orbs much easier
>no merchant to restock ammo
>no goblin tinkerer to merge accessories
>harder time just after WoF because you're only allowed to kill the guide once without a house for him to respawn in, if you don't get your drops, tough luck
>no wizard or truffle to produce late-game ranger/sorcerer items

No one said it's only about building. You're the one saying it's only about combat.

Terrain gen is easily one of Terraria's weakest point,

It fell off hard, but Starbound did better than anyone was expecting desu

Sales were good, and while Terraria has three times as many people playing right now, 4k players on a Monday morning is pretty good for a shitty pixel indie game by a company everybody hates

>"Ha, see you have to actually build and the game is only about building!" is idiotic drivel.

Sure is. Too bad I never claimed it was the only thing the game was about.

Must be awkward telling people to learn how to read while not having a grasp of the concept yourself.

that actually sounds like it could be a pretty decent challenge mode run

I traced the imgur link back to this reddit post

reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/3fg6s1/map_with_enhanced_vanilla_biomes/?st=itk8engd&sh=a7ec68db

But it seems pre hardmode, i.e. outdated and probably has problems

>start new world
>explore
>beat bosses
>upgrade armor
>start prepping for hardmode
>seems really daunting
>quit playing

do any anons have any tips for this? I always stop playing because it feels like a grind trying to build a base that won't be swallowed up by corruption/crimson and also keep the jungle from getting overrun

>early game mindless ore grind is dauntingly bad
>you can skip half the game by fishing up a pickaxe that outclasses every pre-hardmode pick
>after WoF you can kill a super mimic and weapons that almost instantly kill mechanical bosses
>then at any moment you can get a rare drop from any biome that unlock completely imbalanced weapons as long as you're lucky enough
>"""""""""""""awesome""""""""""""" """""""""""""progression"""""""""""""
Every patch after 1.1 was garbage. 1.1 killed this game.

Building is "key" but it hardly takes up any time at all. Everything mentioned here is accomplished by building a few wooden boxes and filling them with a few items.

The game prioritizes the following in order from greatest to least
>combat
>exploration
>mining
>building
With building encompassing like 2 percent of your total playtime.

also to add here way more varied combat too

>build a base that won't be swallowed up by corruption/crimson and also keep the jungle from getting overrun

This will LITERALLY never happen, unless you leave your game open and unpaused every single night for a fucking week. Some faggots are just autistic as fuck and pretend it's a real concern when it absolutely isn't, so they confuse new players.

>do any anons have any tips for this? I always stop playing because it feels like a grind trying to build a base that won't be swallowed up by corruption/crimson and also keep the jungle from getting overrun

Just remove the grass and place a few wooden planks at the edges of corruption.

It can spread underground, but usually it'll have too hard of a time to spread up due to large gaps of just dirt.

After WoF you can dig straight down at the edges of the V.

ok, thanks user

maybe I'll take that leap into hardmode soon

>imbalanced weapons as long as you're lucky enough
The rng for weapons killed the game for me

Yeah hobo run could be a fun thing

here's your (you) user

>dig tiny dividers of wood around the surface of the jungle
>proceed to play as normal
>if the corruption/crimson actually spreads underground just use the biomethrower thing the Steampunker sells
Unless you're really autistic about keeping the corruption/crimson/hallow in their areas, don't worry about it until you unlock the Steampunker.

Only if you're some kind of autist who refuses to do anything that's not strictly required. A good percentage of people play the game specifically for the building portion.

assuming I even bitch out and use the nurse in the first place

>>lazy item progression - every item will always be replaced by another one that does that little extra bit of damage until you reach the top tier
have you never played an RPG before? terraria has much more variety than your average RPG in terms of upgrades

My biggest problem with Terraria was when Red nerfed the Shadowbeam Staff, and then put the dungeon behind a progression wall. Given the option of doing extra difficult content for good rewards is fun.

It's not autistic to build necessities and then just play the game normally. Building is something you CAN prioritize, but ultimately it's not super key and it doesn't detract from the game if you don't focus on it. It also doesn't count as a win condition, it's not like Civ where some people are peaceful empire builders treating it like an economy game and others play it like a wargame, ultimately you can build for hundreds of hours and still miss out on most of the content.

Because variety is fun. The stuff you make with the alternate materials is better, too.

>i can't come up with an argument, must be bait
here's yours

liar confirmed
you literally can't beat post-mechanical expert mode solo without cheesing the bosses one way or another, they're just too fast for terraria's slippery movement

Again, this perspective is only valid if you play the game like there even is a "win condition" before Moon Lord there wasn't even a "final boss", and even now beating him doesn't do anything besides give you weapons or crafting material. Why are you playing Terraria like it's Call of Duty?

>The only difference is they look slightly different, they're functionally the same! Why even bother having alternate ores!?
The alternate ores are slightly better when it comes to the standard equipment.

Also depending on the ores you get you need to find different types of gemstones if you're aiming to make wizards rods.

Like Gold and Platinum require different gems.
You need diamonds+platinum for the diamond staff and you need rubies+gold for the ruby staff.

You can still get the other type of metal through the extractinator if your world didn't spawn with one type.

thanks user. have another (you) :DD

Because it's mostly an exploration and combat game. The map is full of enemies, resources for building require you to go and explore/fight, building is hardly a necessity and exploration/combat is absolutely a necessity unless you want to ignore 90% of the content.

>awesome progression
>progression

Go the fuck back to tumbler you fucking cuckholding white hating white knight SJW lineral spineless faggot!

You're doing it again. "Necessity" should not drive what you do in a game. This eliminates everything optional in any game ever. If you want to play through games like some hyper-efficient autist then whatever, but don't expect people to agree with you.

>liberal

>getting triggered by the same word used in another context
no john, you are the tumblers

If you combine wood and gel, you can make torches

Genuine question lads. Could a 3D Terraria work?

so Minecraft, except it has content?
i don't see why not
just need devs who aren't taking vacations more often than they have working days, and not being lucky enough to become a worldwide success which in turn causes them to be constantly pestered by underage retards, creating a willingness to sell out just so you never have to hear from your own game's playerbase ever again

can you solo it? Also are you just supposed to scroll left and right all the time, can you return quickly to base?

>you literally can't beat post-mechanical expert mode solo without cheesing the bosses one way or another
I beat Plantera by carving out a gargantuan chamber filled with platforms, campfires, heart lanterns, etc, and I beat it just by running around.

Golem is also pretty easy.

Sounds like you just need to git gud at making arenas.

>left and right all the time
You can go up and down too.

Also recall potions and the magic mirror can send you home.

you're probably just a shitter tee bee eich

dont blame me for you sucking at vidya

There are Minecraft mods, but no; Terraria is a lot faster and the movement is too touchy and complicated to do in 3d.

It works in 2d because:
You can more easily eyeball distances,
Easy to see if you'll run into things,
There is no camera view or control setup that will let you be as precise as playing in 2d.

The very least change will be to slow everything down so you can grok all the extra variables the added dimesion gives you, and probably there will be more changes to compensate for the loss in precision.

You can go in any direction in 2d. Because it's pretending to be a planet and sort of an ant farm and due to the way movement works, you'll probably move left and right and up and down a little bit faster than the other ways. But grappling hooks and -later- wings and shit let you move quickly in any direction. You'll also be digging through stuff a lot, which can take you in any direction as well.

No, I mean that when I see a long hole and the bottom of it is offscreen, I never know if it's one of those super long falls or a close fall.

Glowsticks.

i was just fucking with you lad
anyway use ropes and you will never die of fall damage again

Why did they nerf it Cred Forums

started out as a meh game

The reason that Terraria did as well as it did is because the developers stuck with the game and continued to add content (without DLC fees) long after the game was released.

except theres a huge variety in weapons, theres fast swords and big swords, theres spears and over a dozen different types of explosives, theres yoyos and boomerangs and guns, how the fuck is the progression lazy?

because it made hard bosses possible WITHOUT potions

terraria, in my mind, is the best game, and nearly perfect. my main 2 complaints is the corruption spreading, which is just so fucking stupid i can't comprehend it, seriously fuck you red you stupid fuck. and my second complaint is making duke/moonlord impossible without flying around like a retard non stop and constantly deepthroating potions

>lazy item progression - every item will always be replaced by another one that does that little extra bit of damage until you reach the top tier
So what the fuck do you call progression?
Also thats not true,s ee vampire knives or any other weapon that has a useful effect, I always have like 4 or 5 weapons ready