Is this the only game to manage to reproduce the Zelda franchise and maybe even improve on it?

Is this the only game to manage to reproduce the Zelda franchise and maybe even improve on it?

I feel like Zelda games are fairly simple in design, but nothing is really similar to it besides Okami, which is really weird considering how much Zelda is loved.

>improve on it?
in what fucking way? it almost rivals Skyward Sword in treating the player as a retard by telling you everything, including puzzles
also the dungeons suck plain and simple. they dont even come close to the worst dungeons in zelda history
BUT
the combat in Okami is great but the world is slightly empty but has plenty of stuff in it
solid 7 or 8

Okami is better than every 3D Zelda but there are some other clones, namely Dark Souls and Darksiders

I love Okami but I don't think it improves on it. Maybe out of the dungeons, but progression is repetitive and neverending, dungeons blend together and combat is more of a nuisanse.

Dark souls is the new zelda

Dark Souls is nothing like Zelda though. There's no puzzles in it, which is a huge part of Zelda.

>Okami is better than every 3D Zelda
no, maybe SS but those dungeons in SS were really creative so I gotta give SS the edge but then again the gameplay was Simon Says:The Game

>it almost rivals Skyward Sword in treating the player as a retard by telling you everything, including puzzles
This right here. Almost ruined the game for me along with the sllloooowww dialogue texts.

are there any other games where it feels like you're about to finish the game by beating the last boss, but it's not really the last boss, and the game has more to continue on?

Combat in Okami is pressing Square like a musou and using a brush technique specific for an enemy type

If we told you wouldn't it ruin the surprise?

>Maybe out of the dungeons
The is so wrong, the puzzles in Okami were just "Drag the elemental to an area while Issun continues to tell you the answer to everything including those draw the sun puzzles"

this post is ass backwards. okami combat sucks and the dungeons are great.

Loads. Mostly Japanese games.

tales of vesperia for example
Even pokemon gold/silver
I'm sure there's a bunch of Final Fantasy ones

True, combat in Okami is extremely basic and the worse combat that Kamiya ever did like no lock and like you said one attack button but I feel they they were able to make the enemies like puzzles where different paint abilities can kill quickly the enemy like the items in zelda like the bow/boomerang instead of just using the sword

Dragon Quest VII just released for the 3DS, user

vesperia was a good one
Graces too, but I don't think it really counts in that category.

>dungeons are great
ok, tell me how? they were so basic. I can only give them a positive by how they were blended in to the environment unlike zelda where the dungeons are temples

Pretty sure there were loads of zelda clones that everybody forgot about because they sucked. Zelda without its name recognition and 10/10 music is not worth playing. The 3d games are more tutorial and people talking to you about pointless bullshit and walking places than they are games. People wouldn't put up with that from any game but Zelda (because they played it as a kid and have been told their entire lives that it is the greatest game of all time). This is all my take on it anyway, pls no bully. I've attempted to play through every 3d Zelda and they all bore me to tears. Okami too, i realised I was playing for the aesthetic and comfiness, but I dreaded the actual gameplay. Good games to play with girls who are special to you.

>tales of vesperia
The second and third arc should be switched. The third arc was fucking weak compared to the second.

How about 2D Zelda?

What clones? I can't think of any. Besides, if they sucked they weren't really reproducing what makes Zelda good.

Okami has different weapon types keep in mind. There are charging attacks and sub attacks.

I never played most of them and really should. Awakening and all that. But i really appreciated Zelda 1 for the simple reason that you were actually exploring instead of a very very linear quest where everything is told to you. Plus combat and puzzlesolving are seamless instead of 3d's clunky targeting and stopping everything you're doing to take out the bow, aim, get hit, aim again, etc. I know this is all covered in that sequalitis video by I swear I've been saying all this for a long time. Because it's true. And if I had to pick then alttp >oot

For a real game with exploring and powerups and fun weapons play a metroidvania. Totally different game at first glance but I honestly think they take the best parts of a Zelda game and ditch the bloated bullshit

Look up "too 10 Zelda clones". There's tons of 2d and a few 3d which is mostly what I'm talking about. 3d for game heroes, darksiders, beyond good and evil. Wandering, talking, "puzzle"solving. And my point is that Zelda isn't good so it's clones wouldnt be either . What makes Zelda good aside from nostalgia and music?

>sequalitis video
fuck off Arin, that video was incredibly inaccurate to the point I wonder if he even played 3D zeldas (which he did and he was unable to stop getting stuck)

Zelda is good though, no nostalgia involved. The only nostalgia is OoT and LTtP
Even then they are both great games

>Okami

Bloated piece of shit.

Sorry Kamiya, love most your games and Okami is Beautiful to look at, but damn it's just not fucking fun, at all, and then it never ends.

Honestly Okami barely feels like it's trying to be a zelda-like game.

The very beginning up to the first dungeon feels somewhat like a zelda game in terms of structure but after that the formula just disappears. And that's like 1/10th of the game.

>Zelda without its name recognition and 10/10 music is not worth playing
And gameplay polish: Sega game called Golden Axe Warrior IE Holy fuck those sucky hitboxes everywhere

Zelda clones is really rare.
Adventure games? There is a few of them, its a cool genre.

I just searched for lists like that, and they are kind of off. Zelda is about more than that, but it's hard to explain because there's so many different ones, and the basic gameplay isn't the special part.

I guess it's somewhat like Pokemon in that you have to 'get' it, though I don't think there's nearly as much nostalgia involved.

Okami is much more action based while Zelda is all about gimmicks and puzzles.

But I think what makes both games is the art direction and the general atmosphere. You can't replicate Zelda if you copy paste everything but present it like gears of war. In that sense Okami is also unique from Zelda.

Souls franchise feels like a more adult/dark version of Zelda.

>darksouls
Wat. That's more like castlevania than zelda.

Ironically "3D dot Game Heroes" is the best 2D Zelda clone

Zelda has a formulaic design to it. Its not bad its similar is what I'm saying.
>OoT, finish 3 dungeons you be Adult Link
>ALTtP has the dark world
>Twilight Princess those ??? I forgot
>Wind Waker has the Triforce quest
Not to the mention the design of the puzzles that no other company can recreate
Zelda is one of its kind

Only in combat, they are nothing alike after that

Not even kinda sorta. I don't see it. I think you'd like castlevania.

The NES Zeldas were more about survival and exploration. And Dark Souls definitely feels influenced by Ocarina of Time.

Ico, SotC, the first Kingdom Hearts, even Silent Hill seem influenced by OoT to some degree. Beyond Good and Evil too.

Is it not clunky to solve a puzzle and fight monsters at the same time in ocarina? You cant dismiss a point just because It was brought up in a video you don't like.
Maybe I just dont get it. I love Pokemon and those games are trash so I get what you're saying.

I don't even see combat similaities.

Atmosphere and humor

Because Zelda, as a Adventure game is about
1. Consistency & Quality
2. Depth in repetition
3. Dungeons and overworld contrast
4. Powering up
5. Bosses

Which means that if there is puzzles, there will be a few of them instead of just one. I.E Bomb puzzles is EVERYWHERE in 3D

If there is enemy types, later enemies will try to lean on certain mechanics to improve the dept. I.E The Electric Bookoblins in Skyward Sword, or the Darknuts in Twilight Princess

A lot of clones will often try to do this checklist, then failing on quality or lacking the depth in repetition(single time puzzles, gimmick only used once).
And because 1 2 and 3 exists in this point list, it means later dungeons is longer and more complex. With more puzzles, and more use of earlier gimmicks. Zelda clones generally fail on this. Later dungeons is often longer, but not more complex or gimmicky.

>Is it not clunky to solve a puzzle and fight monsters at the same time in ocarina?
I only found that an issue in Skyward Sword where the controls are fucked. Ocarina od Time also was fixed it wih the 3ds remake

Circle around the enemy, evade or block attacks, memorize patterns to choose when to attack.

If you play with a single handed sword it feels very similar.

It isn't clunky at all unless you keep Z-targetting on the whole time. Egoraptor is kind of exaggerated in his videos, it's part of his humour. The video would crumble if he couldn't whine about everything, he isn't a serious reviewer.

Dark Souls is about the fact you have no health, can't take hits for shit, and slow weapons hit really hard.
And it balances along this fine line where it barely avoids being clunky, but still is a game with a lot of great mobility.

Dungeon Dark Souls would honestly be sorta cool, but i don't think there exists companies that understand how far down the depth of both franchises go.
We already saw that bad Dark Souls clones can exist, like Lords of the Fallen. Where a lot of points is missed, and the degradation in quality is visible.

>humour
no he was dead serious, he admitted later that he made that video out of anger of the people considered OoT to be the best game (or Zelda) of all time

Of course both games aren't the same, Dark Souls is a lot more hard punishing and Zelda makes boss fights more of a puzzle than a real fight. This doesn't mean the games don't feel similar in combat.

If there's any way Souls games should be improved is the dungeons. Having some sort of puzzle could be really great if they manage to find a way to merge them with the enemy positioning and traps they always use.

Humour doesn't mean that he was joking, he presented his opinion in a humorous way, it's what he does for his 'serious' videos as he's a comedian and can't really do anything else.

He blew an issue of his out of proportion and didn't really do a deep analysis of anything, but he's famous and funny so his videos are popular, and yeah, he did pose some proper complaints, although muddled with whining.

I said out of the dungeons.
The world exploration was good