Castlevania Anniversary

Today is the Castlevania series 30th Birthday, Happy Birthday Castlevania!

or Rest in peace Castlevania

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5J8XqDENH1Y
youtube.com/watch?v=XoGCokTDSyA
youtube.com/watch?v=z2guEIH6Hqs
youtube.com/watch?v=tgkxSkF7QOU
youtube.com/watch?v=v_YIGdpVAAY
youtube.com/watch?v=XfuQuRrE-ZI
youtube.com/watch?v=-2PfHWMxaAo
youtube.com/watch?v=pyXRV7wkeyo
youtube.com/watch?v=SQxs-WEFRJY
youtube.com/watch?v=7xm0NBvV6zA&index=4&list=PLwD0M3PtG6VkcbkyugU0ezkYwzqBoo2sq
youtube.com/watch?v=tZkWCE06Iik
youtube.com/watch?v=QWHj47B1nu4
youtube.com/watch?v=wHpMdgM0Sb4
youtube.com/watch?v=JiSo9yL59Pw
youtube.com/watch?v=KqQPr3ZcbtE
youtube.com/watch?v=2-lrP9mX4QQ
youtu.be/aAqVxtv15XQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ive never played any castlevania. Is the first one worth playing? Is the 4th one a remake or does it just use the same characters but a new map

The first one is one of the hardest games ever but it is absolutely worth playing

Super Castlevania 4 is also a good time, much easier but still a great game

yeah but the protag is the same. So is it the first game with upgraded graphics or does it just take the same name but has a new map and bosses and shit

Yes it's worth playing, all classicvania games are except maybe the gameboy ones but even those aren't bad. 1 is a good entry point and a pretty easy game overall although be prepared for a difficulty spike in level 4. 4 is a completely different game with different mechanics, levels and bosses.

4 is a reimagining of the first game, it is not the same game but it has the same characters and some new ones

Hated Castlevania 1 and 2 as a kid but I loved the shit out of 3.

Finally beat Dracula in Dracula x chronicles, and without taking a single hit.

My favorites are the original, III, Rondo and Ecclesia.

Original is still the best.

3 is fucking good, I wish we had more Classicvanias with other playable characters

Best theme coming through
youtube.com/watch?v=5J8XqDENH1Y

Super Castlevania is a remake of Castlevania, it has little in common other than the basic story and characters.

I've been remaking (cloning) the first one for desktop. Maybe when I finish cloning I'll add widescreen support and put it out there. Are there any quality of life things that make sense to change once it's pretty much 1:1?

level select

I used to do X only character runs in the game.
Sypha is still my favourite since she is a fucking beast with her magic powers.
Grants sadly is a pain in the ass to use but good for rushing shit.

>posting the NES version instead of the famicom one

We know next to nothing about the creation of the original Castlevania series. Nothing. We have a list of names and supposedly their roles, but that's it. All of them left the industry in the late 80's or early 90's. None of them have given any interviews.

The exception is the lead composer, who has moved to New Jersey. However, it appears she never interacted with the rest of the team. She only interacted with her Konami bosses.

Someone should track these people down. The story of the development of many of these old games are simply lost to time.

Is that fuma game any good?

Great song but I just love the rock soundtrack of Bloodlines.
youtube.com/watch?v=XoGCokTDSyA
Meh game but fucking awesome music.

same shit

I forget, does the second loop make it more difficult like the one in Castlevania 3? Could include that as a selectable hard mode from the get-go.

Man that is really bizarre no one knows who came up with the series exactly

Posting GT's old Castlevania retrospective

youtube.com/watch?v=z2guEIH6Hqs

It's because they dropped off the map. Some of them might be dead. Typically these guys would be younger devs, maybe 20-35, so they should be alive.

Gaming mags give interviews to devs to promote new games. If there are no new games to promote, they don't interview anyone. There's no monetary incentive to dig up some devs who quit 25 years ago.

And it's not like it's an issue of English language sources. The Japanese know nothing either. The only information we have is some names because later Konami devs mentioned them. The same team made 1-3 for the Famicom. A totally new team made Super Castlevania, which is a shame since I think the original team would have done a much better job of it.

Hitoshi Akamatsu was possibly the director and programmer. Nobuhiro Matsuoka was another programmer. Maybe he made the engine? Noriyasu Togakushi was one of the artists. Producer Akihiko Nagata was around with Konami until the early 2000's, so he might be the easiest to track down and interview. Surely he'd know something.

duh doo duh duuuh doo doo duh doo dee doo duh doo dee

>There's no monetary incentive to dig up some devs who quit 25 years ago.
except people reading it and generating ad money

>We will never get another Castlevania since Konami is kill.

I hope Bloodstained is good.

>The first one is one of the hardest games ever

Stop with this meme, CV has a perfectly normal difficulty.

X68k on the other hand...

It does look better than most metroidvanias, but I'm not a huge fan of those.

People try to paint Castlevania II as a misunderstood masterpiece like Zelda II but it's really just crap.

It's unplayable without the Nintendo Power guide

>The first one is one of the hardest games ever
play more games

It was pretty ambitious
Wanted to be a metroidvania
Isn't there a rom hack that fixes most of its problems?

>480p
No thanks.

>>Isn't there a rom hack that fixes most of its problems?
yeah, it makes the riddles straight up tips on how to do shit and it makes the day/night text faster

The hack makes the day night transition fast and fixes the translation so its actually compleatable.

It doesnt fix heart grinding or shit bosses or everything else that sucks in it.

I have the cartridge, but my NES won't read games anymore.

Just been using the 3DS virtual console to play it.

Completely agree

Is that Nick Smith submerging himself in blue water?!

>ywn have as good of taste as me

>meh game
Fuck off

Kek aren't those the opinions some shitposter spews on /vr/?

>The new generation

Eurotrash spotted.

Best Castlevania ever.

jesus christ

I didn't know Van Gogh was the lead designer for that game.

>swap best and worst in some image
>post it on Cred Forums
>people fall for it
Jesus are you guys blind

Why NES Castlevania is third worst?

Because a superior version exists for the Amiga.

Even if you swap them back it would still be retarded

>rondo
>bloodlines
>implying bad

lol fuck off

Fuck yeah I love me some Aria and holy hell that's some choice of an image, user.

I agree entirely

RIP castlevania, fuck Konami

>We will never get another good Castlevania
>If we ever do it'll just be another meh Metroidvania

I dont think Castlevania is getting another game ever again

>there is an alternate timeline where Metroidvania was never made and we kept getting Castlevania V, VI, etc.

I bet VII was the best one

If it could survive Simon's Quest, Castlevania 64, and Judgement, it can survive Lords of Shadow

That is dissapointing in its own way too. Eventually that formula would get extremely stale.

The N64 vanias went for 3d which was also fucked. The only alternative was like mario that it went 3d for a while and then had both 3d and 2d sidescrolling. Which is the current situation

Not unlike Metroidvania
smuganimegirl.jpg

I'm still waiting for Dracula III.

So there is no winning on either end then.

bumpvania

Its more about the fact the 3D Castlevania is a failure from a mechanical point of view, so they just tried SOTN in 3D instead of trying to fix the formula flaws 3D castlevania had.

Thread's dying
Post your favorite castlevagánia

4 is my favorite, with Ecclesia just barely behind it.

Volgar is fun.
Its also extremely unforgiving, because you have to trick platform correctly everywhere.

We can be thankful for past years or so of good games. Like the Angry Nerd said, Castlevania will live on in our hearts and minds.

Linearvania: Chronicles or Rondo.
RPGvania: Circle of the Moon.

Play all of them. Castlevania deserves that

Favorite classicvania: Super Castlevania

Favorite metroidvania: Symphony of Night

Post you're favourite fapvania

SIMON STRONG DONG BELMONT

Alraune is my waifu.

Forgot my're favourite fapvania

Happy Birthday Castlevania! I hope you get more games in the future.

Is that Iga's wife? Shanoa was based on her.

Ah! I think the Castle is calling out to me, then.
Four days ago I started to feel like replaying my ds titles on hard. Man, it's the experience.
Currently started Order of Ecclesia on hard max lv 50 and playing actively Dawn of Sorrow on hard without the previous game items and sould except abbaddon, death and the soul ring, since I wanna play it once.

Also finally finished Aria of Sorrow on PSP.
Maybe one day i'll finish the nes ones...

Anyway, what the fuck is wrong with all these metroidvania haters? A game evolves.
It would've been a great pain in the ass to have the same mechanics over and over.

It hurts.

It hurts deep. At least Bloodstained's looking good.

Nah. That's just some British whore harlot by the name Brightman. She bears a resemblance to Shanoa in that pic

I don't see Kirby fans complaining.

Kirby fans eat shit

Rude!

this t b h f a m

F

Never played any game of that lil ball.

How would you describe it?

Weird, my mom has the same birthday as Castlevania. I learned something today.

sexy

MOM'S

Simple platformers with a sugary sweet aesthetic where you absorb the powers of your enemies. Simply beating them is easy, but 100%'ing them takes some effort. Occasionally the kid gloves come off and eldritch abominations are the true final boss. They're pretty decent games, I'd suggest Kirby's Adventure or Super Star as a starting point.

Gameplay-wise, not aesthetics.
Let her kill some skeletals and see if she absorbs their soul. Report if you're still alive and not in the eclipse.

GONNA

FREAK

Thank you very much for the description but I must FUCK YOU off. I play from the first one in the series I'm attracted to. No middle grounds.

Please allow me to succ on your p e n i s

So who is best Belmont?

why are you faggots talking about Kirby

talk about Castlevania

Not entirely sure what you mean by your phrasing but you're welcome, I think.

Sorry I'm a straight guy with a sensible penis and I have to wait to break up with my girl.

I will play kirby tho.

Metroidvania garbage killed glorious Classicvania. Fuck I need to puke everytime I see some new metroidvania garbage game and classicvania games are dead forever.

Hmm...
From the viewpoint of gameplay or meme?

nice meme

Boring.
The thing is that shit is popular because the game basically plays by itself.

God damn it why there's no ability for Johnathan to tear the hell of those panties of hers...

Fun fact: Gabriel's outfit in LoS is based on this armor.

Castlevania 1 is way too short and has too much downtime to be considered one of the hardest games. Infinite continues, too.

As long as you know how subweapons power up and how to mitigate some of the luck-based bullshit the game becomes a breeze.

Castlevania IV is only a remake in the sense that you play as Simon and that you fight Dracula at the end. The game is entirely different from the first Castlevania to such an extent that I really doubt that it was intended to serve as a remake or retelling of Castlevania 1.

>one of the hardest games ever

mfw i speedrun it

NG+ is more difficult yes

I watched some Hammer Dracula movies, and I was shocked at how much CV draws from them in both aesthetic and themes

>Harmony of Despair will never come to PC
>ywn hack all stacks and be done with the stupid grindy shit required for all characters
>Modders will never put every level into it and let us finally fight Galamoth on Expert Mode++

Castlevania made me appreciate Dracula and horror movies even more desu

I bought a 3DS in hopes of getting a good Castlevania game this gen, instead we got Mirror of Fate

Konami's recent efforts involve turning Castlevania into another one of their big pachislot franchises [EROTIC VIOLENCE]

Man fuck video games and modern developers, it's time to usher in new blood. I'm hoping Bloodstained carries on where Castlevania left off before Lords of Shadow ruined everything

Mirror of Fate had a decent story and Simon looks great in it. The bosses are pretty cool, too. It's a shame everything else is so shit.

>Harmony of Despair
My nigga.

Wait, Galamoth? Was he planned?

Saturn version of SotN had some killer tracks
youtube.com/watch?v=tgkxSkF7QOU
youtube.com/watch?v=v_YIGdpVAAY
youtube.com/watch?v=XfuQuRrE-ZI

But the best Kirby game WAS a Metroidvania.

>Amazing mirror
>best Kirby game

I'm planning on playing and beating each and every U.S. released Castlevania (save phone shit) starting 10/01 before 10/31. First few won't be too hard, but with the nasty issues like living a life and having a job it might get tight once I get to the later metroidvania titles...

Castlevania
Vampire Killer
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Castlevania: The Adventure
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
Super Castlevania IV
Kid Dracula
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (okay, emulating this)
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Castlevania: Dracula X
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Castlevania Legends
Castlevania 64
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Castlevania Chronicles
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Castlevania Judgment
Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth
Castlevania: Harmony of Despair
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

...wish me luck!

>Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
>Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate
>Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
No one will judge you if you skip those. Just saying

lol, you are not finishing this.

I remember doing this somewhere around Order of Ecclesia's release. I don't think I bothered to beat Haunted Castle or Castlevania Legends though.

bait

Haven't played the first one, but LoS 2 is a solid 3D Castlevania.

Lords of Shadow 1 is pretty good for what it is, shame they fucked up LoS2 so bad.

>31 Games in 31 days
>Most of which will have to be delivered to your house
>Implying you can do this with a job

Good luck user

VRC6.

I personally love the Rondo of Blood physics (ladder jump, small jump, back and forth jump) because I'm a megaman baby. But at least put ladder jump and don't make screen change stairs botomless pits, that shit is annoying as fuck.

This unironically. Even SotN, the best metroidvania, is a 6/10 at best

>Haven't played the first one, but LoS 2 is a solid 3D God of War clone
Fixed

It has even less in common with the GoW games than the first one.

Anyways, in your petty little attempt at a jab you just praised the game. Oopsie daisy!

>Calling a 3D Castlevania game a GoD clone
>Praising it
kek

Always hated this series because of how seriously it took itself. You kids call it edgy nowadays.

Judgment's OST was pretty good
youtube.com/watch?v=-2PfHWMxaAo

Are you even talking about the same franchise? Unless you're talking about Lord of Shadow.

It has its hard moments but it's definitely not the hardest game ever. I'd say Ninja Gaiden is harder overall, although it's a complete chore compared to CV.

Zelda II was also shit though.

Post god tier themes

youtube.com/watch?v=pyXRV7wkeyo

Overlooked OST from an overlooked gem:
youtube.com/watch?v=SQxs-WEFRJY

>meh game

what's wrong with it? it's like CV1 but way more polished and responsive

youtube.com/watch?v=7xm0NBvV6zA&index=4&list=PLwD0M3PtG6VkcbkyugU0ezkYwzqBoo2sq
- Charlotte!
- Jonathan!
- Charlotte!
- Jonathan!
- Charlotte!
- Jonathan!
- Charlotte!
- Jonathan!

Neither are very difficult. You can pump the difficulty past default on X68K though.

Sounds like we have a baddie in this thread

>What is emulation?

By todays standards, Castlevania 1 and 3 are actually really hard. Your little brother /cousion would give up on its first try.

Also metroidvania>classicvania. the controls were shit and its only appeal is that its remembered fondly.

Best boss theme

youtube.com/watch?v=tZkWCE06Iik

Damn! I forgot how awesome was this boss theme! Thanks for reminding me, user.

No you niggerfaggot.

youtube.com/watch?v=QWHj47B1nu4

With the popularity of Castlevania, I'm surprised that it never got an anime or cartoon adaption. Heck! Even less popular games got their own anime adaptions, so why not Castlevania?

a year or two ago a rated-R animated adaption of CV3 was announced, but there hasn't been any news on it in a very long time so it's safe to assume it's not happening.

youtube.com/watch?v=wHpMdgM0Sb4
youtube.com/watch?v=JiSo9yL59Pw
youtube.com/watch?v=KqQPr3ZcbtE
youtube.com/watch?v=2-lrP9mX4QQ

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. There were also plans for a live action adaption but it was cancelled.

They actually are pretty good given the way you weapon work.

The whip lingers a bit after you strike, so if you had a controlable jump, it would feel weird/wonky and the swords, given their quicker nature overall in the games, are best suited to multiple air strikes than the whip is.

The Adventure Rebirth locks your jump arcafter you attack, giving a design response to "I attacked but I what would happen if I tried to face the other side?". The metroidvanias with whips locks the direction that you're facing, but you can't strike twice in the same jump IIRC.

But why these solutions weren't implemented in the first game? Don't really know, since the other fixed jump arc game from that time is Ghouls n Ghosts but it uses projectiles instead of a lingering hitbox. But I feel that's for balance purposes since a more mobile Belmont would trivialize the simple enemies patterns (except the flea man) on a graphically demanding game.

choose.

Is it weird that from all Classicvanias I only like the ones for Game Boy?

Does Captain N count?

No, it's a crossover show.

what IS a man anyway?

>Castlevania 30th Anniversary
>Konami releases a Castlevania Bejeweled game for smartphones and a panchiko
I can see that happen.

That one is a pretty good game. The first is way too clunky and Legends is bad.

I also like the ones you also mentioned instead of the superior games for other consoles.

Dont get me wrong. It feels weird to play 1 and 3 after playing the metroidvanias mainly for how jumping, attacking and moving works. for their time im sure it was good and they had their reasons to not expand on it as you said. But its not exactly a point in favour for them when you compare them to later entries.

1 did a lot of things right and even today its undeniably a good game. The atmosphere it gave made immersion easy, summed to enganging interactions between the player and the enemies, right difficulty and even a timer so the player feels the need to not lag behind. Its just that from someone who started with the symphony of the night and the 64 castlevanias it just seemed like they expanded on to what they did right and then improved on the wrong. Like story and characters.

To be completely honest, part of me feels like it's probably better that Konami didn't acknowledge the anniversary. Because I get the feeling at this point if they did it would end up being in the form of a battle of 1999 Pachinko machine.

Are any of the 3D games actually worth playing? They all look either shit or mediocre.

I'll probably catch shit for this but honestly Lords of Shadow 1 is pretty decent imo. it's a reboot and doesn't follow the series story, but it's a fun little action title and has cool level and enemy designs.

Your opinion on Harmony of Dissonance

damn I love aria of sorrow so much...I wish I could forget it and play it all over again, finding the secrets for the first time and the real ending

it's fun but the weakest of the 3 GBA titles. the music composition is pretty good in spots but the instrumentation for it is grating to me.

Castlevania 64 actually got some decent reviews by the time and had, has some great scenarios. Camera and controls aged badly but it's an okay 3D action plataformer. Legacy of Darkness is a "director's cut", same game with more content and small changes.

Having two dash buttons was fun, especially after the sluggish piece of shit that was Circle of the Moon.

I liked the first PS2 game. Was like a step on the right direction. The second one had more variety but was less memorable.

And Lords of Shadow has a boring beginning but it turns out great for a 3D action game.

Really dislike the game's ost, probably because of the instruments they used or something but other than that, it's a decent game, I really enjoyed getting furniture for some reason.

I found circle of the moon quite hard but reminiscent of old castlevanias. Sadly, you had to grind to kill dracula or hit him for a full hour, so I never REALLY finished it.

I'm playing through Lament of Innocence right now and it's pretty cool so far. It plays like a DMC clone but it's more open-ended. Then again, I just started so what do I know.

>he didn't use the cross
Come on, mang.
It cleaves his batpussi in two.

One thing I fucking hated about lament was how, at times, the stages are padded out with long stretches of flat nothing.
>no enemies
>a few candles at best
>no way to speed it up, and not even dodging helps you move faster, really
At least some of the platforming segments are kinda cool.

>But its not exactly a point in favour for them when you compare them to later entries.

It absolutely is though because of how the games are designed. Attacking has a very nice sense of rhythm to it where you observe an enemy and strike, especially in encounters with flying enemies of any kind. It's a unique aspect that I absolutely love about the series. It's completely absent in the newer games due to air control and quick attacks, making them feel very generic. You could in theory make up for it with something like faster enemies but that would also get rid of the slow methodical pace that's part of the appeal of classicvania games.

Spotted the nigger

dunno man, I just played the game like any other castlevania: pushing forward and killing anything on my way to dracula, and when I got there, after trying a bunch of times during almost 2 hours, I decided to google the battle and see wtf was I doing wrong and everything pointed out that I was supposed to fight in the colyseum for a while to get strong enought to kill him. So I said fuck it

I started noticing that and I think they were trying to do it for atmosphere or something.

youtu.be/aAqVxtv15XQ

I love this track too, shame about the sound chip

Looking back on this, I have to say
>music not by mix shrecks
What a missed opportunity
Also, I wonder how many of you fags actually read up on the CV wiki to find out that
Christopher Bee is actually a real dude in CV lore.
I got a chuckled out of that when I first found out myself. Shame it's not in english.

Yeah, I guess so you could enjoy the music.
I can't remember any melodies off-hand, but I do remember finding it relatively enjoyable. Never felt the need to mute it or listen to anything else.
Only pussies need to use the colloseum. I should know, because years ago, I first beat it without using it at all because I got my shit kicked in when I tried and had to reload my game.
At the absolute most, you should try to get two double bands and, even then, it's not like you desperately need them.

Greatest Simon walk ever.

Here is your new Maria, famalamadingdangdoodle

>arcade archives coming to PS4
Fuck. Shouldn't want, especially since it's not even that good a game to begin with, but...

Skeletons on motorcycles.

>I guess so you could enjoy the music

Who is the cutest castlevania girl i can fap to?

Yeah, that was a pretty nice one.

Oh yeah, one other thing I do remember about Lament is what happens after the first fight with the Shadow/Doppelganger Leon
>after you deal the last blow, he looks at you for a brief second, then hauls ass, proceeding to take an overdramatic jump in a rushing waterway for no justifiable reason whatsoever
Shit had me laughing my ass off.

Soleiyu.

madara uchiha imo

Could you be more specific?