PS3 Hard Drive Backup

So it finally happened. My old PS3 fat got the yellow light of death. I tried to open it up and fix it with a heat gun and some thermal compound, but it didn't work. Lucky for me, I got my hard drive and disk out of the damn thing.

Now the question comes. I know that if I were to get another PS3 and hook up my hard drive, it would format it. Is there any way to get a used PS3 and simply have it keep my old save files from my hard drive? I don't want to lose so many hours of data...

Nope. You need to hook up your current PS3 with the new one to transfer the data.

That or just back it up if the system still worked.

Sorry to tell you, OP. but your Shit out of luck unless you can get it fixed.

Just hook the PS3s together. I think the PS3's manual lists how to do it correctly.

Just pulling the HDD out and putting it in a new PS3 (which won't fit in a Slim anyway) will format it.

Nah, damn thing doesn't even turn on. I probably shorted the motherboard because I wasn't careful enough. Well shit. Solid design Sony, wouldn't want customers keeping their data when your console expires. My Gamecube and PS2 never died. I even still have my old NES working just fine.

>won't fit in a Slim
Don't they both use 2.5' drives?

Pretty sure you can pull saves off it with a hacked ps3. Not that that's a convenient method to do.

I'd be down fro trying to hack a PS3 for it. I was literally one step away from having a platinum in KH2FM. Critical mode was a wild time, but I'm not sure how bad I want to do the level and material grind again. Or the mushrooms...

No, you are pretty much outta luck. Now unless you didnt back up the saves via psn you can still redownload them, same with games. Just access your psn account on the new ps3 and redownload the games and saves. The harddrive will have encryption that wont allow you to pull any files off of it.
Source: i just recently replaced my ps3 hard drive.

Sorry, but I similarly got dicked over like you OP, lost hundreds of hours of progress because i couldn't back up my saves without getting jewstation plus. That was pretty much the point where i said "fuck consoles"

You know the worst part of this?

I played some last night, and when it asked if I wanted to upload stuff to the cloud for the first time, I said "Nah, I don't have time for that silly shit right now, I want to play some games! It's not like this thing is just going to give me the YLoD after all these years!"

I've had my PS3 for about a decade now. I'll use your misfortune as a warning and back my shit up tonight.

i have a phat ps3 im gonna sell. how much are they still worth? i think its 120gb or something.

That's why you always back your shit up regularly whether it's console or PC. Sure it's annoying, especially if you're lazy, but it's obviously worth it in the end.

all PS3s and PS4s use 2.5" drives

OP is fucked though because the PS3 and PS4 encrypt the drive to only work in the system that formatted them

Fuckign do it man. I literally, to my roommate said almost that exact line. I played for like 7 hours straight until the early morning, slept, woke up to play, and it made me eat my words.

It's just... I've never had a console fail on me. Sony needs to see about trading something to Nintendo for a few tons of Nintendium. Never had anything go wrong with any Nintendo machine I've owned, and I've owned them all, even the damn Virtual Boy.

I bought mine for around $120 a few years back. They keep value pretty well due to being 3 consoles in one

Stop sucking Nintendo's dick so hard. "Nintendium" is in the past now and has been for a good 10 years.
Also comparing a NES and SNES to a PS3 is genuinely retarded in every sense.

To be fair to Sony they've only been in the console hardware business since the 90s, i don't their console is cheap in design just a bit faulty in terms of materials

My Gamecube and Wii Are older than my PS3, and still work fine, retard.

>pointing out a company does something better than another is now "dicksucking"
Maybe YOU should stop sucking Sony dick so hard. I have owned every Sony machine (but the PSP Go garbage) as well, so don't try and get all console wars on me, you fucking corporate shill.

To be fair the gamecube and wii dont have anywhere near the same amount of hardware to fail. A ps3 fat has quite a bit of internals that all have to function for it to continue to work.

I don't know man. Ive had 4 PS3's fail on me through regular use, and the 5th one i have now is slowly on it's way out. Ive only had one PS2 fail on me, but that was because i had it standing vertically, and i knocked it over by accident.

As for nintendo. Ive only ever had one system from each generation aside from upgrading to the 3ds XL, and they all still work.

Say what you want, but the PS3 is built like complete shit.

Isn't only the 60GB model able to play PS2 games?

It's fucking ridiculous that the PS3 phat is by far the best version of the console, yet has the shittiest build quality of any. It's also really shitty that Sony downplayed the YLoD, especially when every phat PS3 WILL get it eventually.

I'd say the super slim would be the best version of the console only because it's the only version that lets you recover your disc without taking the whole thing apart when it dies.

Never trust slot drives.

lmao should have bought PS+ so you could cloud save your games fag
sony wins again

The problem with that is, the system was put together like shit with no real quality control. One fan and a heat sink isn't going to cut it when you have a CPU and GPU right fucking next to each other. It also doesn't help that the thermal paste they used was extremely cheap junk.

Not possible since its encrypted. I mean your console will likely die before your data backup transfer completes and your spare drive will just get all of its data deleted. Back up your saves on a USB or the cloud via Plus membership. Update your trophy data on PSN. Even with YLOD the system might not die instantly when you turn it on and what I stated should be the fastest means of getting important information out of your system.

Why do you think they put network saves behind a PSN plus paywall?

Your saves are gone. Even if you pull them off by reheating the solder for a temporary fix they won't work on a new PS3.

I was playing Wipeout HD Fury earlier and the whole system freezed, I restarted and the system freezed again.

I just opened to clean up the dust but it's probably running on borrowed time, isn't it?
If you would replace the whole motherboard, you wouldn't be able to recover the data, right?

It should work if the saves are transferred to a new PS3 with an active account matching that of the save data files right?
OP just needs to activate his account on a new PS3. I mean I'm playing my saves on my second PS3 after my own Fat died.

Then again I used Plus cloud saves and yes my old system would die after transferring 5 to 10 saves at a time. I would point my fan at it and turn the AC on and that gave me the illusion that it was running for a longer period.

That won't work. The motherboard is specific to the system just like the CPU and GPU. It's why you see people using heat guns but never replace those parts when they fix them. I would just back up your saves now with a USB Drive, and get another system if i were you.

That's if he backed them up to PS plus though. If not, then he's screwed.

Why the fuck is that stuff still that expensive?
I mean, a few years ago my 60GB model got a YLOD and I got a refurbished replacement for 150€ and 1-2 years of warranty.
On eBay the cost at least 120€.

Not sure if they still replace 60GB models

>PS3's coming to the end of their lifespan
>no stores near me sell PS3s anymore
>when mine dies, that's it
>all my games will become unplayable

This is why emulation and backwards compatibility are important.

Because the Original models can play PS2 games, as well as supporting different formats of memory storage.

Apparently that's a big deal for some people.

And Im pretty sure the OG fat models are the easiest to hack.

Next time don't be a retard and use a USB to back you're files up or use the cloud.

Everything eventually goes away.