youtube.com/watch?v=MFY9Kv1c4-Q&feature=youtu.be
danbooru.donmai.us/posts/2045545?tags=penelo
youtube.com/watch?v=ynjERjWIOmY
youtube.com/watch?v=94JcCOd2Fno
youtube.com/watch?v=wGkZf6n_VXM
youtube.com/watch?v=N-grxQ2y71o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

youtu.be/up863eQKGUI

My first experience with emulation was a Genesis emulator. My friend gave me a burnt CD with Sonic games on it, and I figured this was just how Sonic on PC was. It never occurred to me until years later that what she'd given me was an emulator and ROMs. I always just thought Sonic was on computer.

I love it

>tfw trying to use psx emulators

this feels like a god damn nightmare with my below average IQ

help

>Older brother installs ps1 emulator on family pc
>kids from my school didn't believe me that I could play PS1 on a computer
>Invite them home to show the emulator to them
>Mfw they started begging for the emulator
Thanks big bro

>Go to friend's house
>He's playing Kirby Superstar on his computer
>Ask how he's doing this magic
>Teaches me all about emulation

Thanks Matt.

go ask jeeves idiot

Just use Mednafen. No plugins required. Plays basically every PS1 game perfectly.

>Megaman 7
>Chrono Trigger
>Super Mario All Stars

the holy trinity of my childhood

>melee netplay
Holy fuck why didn't I know about this sooner?

>figure out how to play MAME online p2p
>friend is on literal other side of the planet
>works without any lag whatsoever

>only had a ps2 and nes with not much gamesband would see some gameplay videos, depressed that i wont be able to play them

>tfw i get to play any older games i want

emulation was a blessing

>finally set up the ps1 emulator for the first time
>finally play sim city 2000, breath of fire iii, etc
>all the games i remembered as a kid

That feel will never be felt again.

>tfw learning how to play ps1 backups on the ps2, hotswap method

God damn i wish i was a kid again. I remember how ecstatic I was when I booted up breath of fire III on my tv in my room instead of the livingroom computer

>First time with a Yoshi's island .

>there are people on Cred Forums right now who think emulation is bad

how so?

Well those people are legit retarded.

>nintendo emulators JUST WERK
>mfw trying to emulate any non-nintendo console

>Have access to every old game
>Never know what to play

>trying to play a Gundam fighting game on ZSNES
>mfw it ran choppy as fuck

>tfw figured out how to emulate when I was 7

It was by Genesis emulator at a friends house, I remembered the name of it and searched it at home, I was also poor so I spent a lot of time playing emulators. Good times.

Gens was the emulator I used for years until I learned of Kega Fusion.

>magically discover emulation with SNES9X
>only game the same site had was Gundam Wing Endless Dual
>play it, love it
>took that shit to school and played it with friends

Fucking love that game.

i played pokemon gold/silver a year before it was released in the US, my friends flipped a shit when i showed them that i wasn't "that kid"

Emulation is usually bad. There's about 2 consoles that are emulated perfectly.

>yfw ps2 emulation becomes fully optimized

Does inhaling oxygen feel good? I want to try it.

Its usually platform war shitposters

I fucking hope so. I want to plat Tricky so fucking bad

When? PS2 emulation still has so many hiccups.
I feel like Mednafen has spoiled me with really good no-nonsense PS1 and Saturn emulation.

in small amounts like at an oxygen bar it will give you a natural high, in large amounts you will suffer the effects of oxygen toxicity

as in SSX Tricky? that was multiplat so maybe it'll work better playing the GC version on Dolphin

Just emulate the gamecube version

>still no good xbox original emulation

>pluginz
Retroarch is a good go-to for anything that's become a total pain in the ass to emulate. Everything is done through PS3-style menus.

>download retroarch and install
>acquire PS1 bios files and put them in retroarch/system/
>download PSX core using the menu option in retroarch

I was only 9 and had no games. I grew up playing nes classics and n64 games even though I was a kid in the ps2 era. To this day more than half of the games that i've played are emulated classics.

PSP and Genesis emulation are pretty much perfect though.

even if we got it, it would take a beast of a PC to emulate it

the xbox is a mess

>Jet Set Radio Future Never Ever

>tfw ps4 emulators will exist in the future
>tfw finally able to play bloodborne

>install about every single console to emulate
>struggling what games to play

This. PPSSPP basically plays everything and Kega Fusion/Genesis Plus GX is the same.

>tfw Shenmue will never be perfectly emulated on pc

I don't understand retroarch whatsoever. I can never get fucking anything to work correctly. All the people who claim it's "simpler" are retarded.

not enough people care

retro arch is just a useless front end to a bunch of shit you can get with a lot less hassle seperately

>can't get something to work
>calls other people retarded

>1999
>10yo
>New game released called Pokemon
>Suddenly everybody playing it
>a friend let my try it
>completely in love
>ask my parents for a game boy
>NO
>fuckmylife.jpg
>another friends gives me a floppy disk
>"it's pokemon red user, for pc"
>not trusting that shit but try it anyway
>mfw playing pokemon red on pc

Read up about it on the emulation general wiki. It's easy as fuck to get going. Just cause you can do it doesn't mean it's not easy.

That fucking kid on the couch, kills me everytime

did emulators even exist in 99?

nobody gives a shit about you, either. that sucked :(

DOS had ZSNES and Nesticle.

ofc, NESticle existed around 1996/7 don't know when it was released, but MAME emus where a thing too around then

zsnes is from like.. 1997, maybe earlier

granted it was even more of a piece of shit back then

then there was bleem in 1999, jesus christ what a piece of trash

i hate that people that emulate are uneducated, they just think LOL OLD GAMES LOL IT JUST WERKS

>discover emulation
>play Mother series and Chrono Trigger
>nothing for years

If using the emulator directly is easier, great!
If the emulators are herpa-derpa bullshit (PS1, TG-16 CD) it's easier to figure our retroarch one time than deal with them.

shut your fucking mouth dumbshit

Kid in the back is mfw I tried N64 emulation on a late 90's laptop and permanently fucked it due to overheating

I played pokemon Blue on an emulator when I was 9 (born in 1990 here).

My dad helped me set it up. We actually used a DOS emulator but I was running it on our OS/2 warp 4 computer.

I believe the emulator was called "dboy" - look it up.

How's ps2 emulation on a windows xp with 2gb ram, pentium 4 3.02ghz with hyperthreading enabled, and a geforce 6800 gt 256mb agp?

>i can play pogeymon and BRAND NEW GBA GAMES FOR FREE on my gumputer

>be 15 a decade ago
>Save half a year of underage pay
>Finally have enough money to buy a SNES so i could play my favorite games
>Find out the next week I could download and emulate them for free on my PC

might be able to run some mainstream titles well

generally the more obscure a game is, the less optimized it will be. doesn't hurt to try though

>saved
This is still a very relatable feel to me

The emulator revolution started in 1997 when Nesticle was able to run NES games at full speed. The emulation scene peaked around 2000 when people were emulating PS1 and N64 at the same time they were the current consoles on the market.

Played the shit out of pokemon red

retroarch is buggy as FUCK though, it's easier to use mednafen standalone

>tfw emulated exclusively in the 2000s
>tfw didn't pick up the actual hardware and cartridges when they were still dirt cheap, before the game collecting fad
Fuck you emulation.

But the PS1 Mednefen core in Retroarch has a bunch of extra features like skipping the bios and a widescreen hack. There's also a different version of the core that you can run in OpenGL mode as well.

Does it have a GUI option to map controls (and do other things) yet? Better than plugin shit but still disgustingly retarded program design.

My first experience with emulation was going to my cousin's house and him showing me a fucking giant list of Nintendo games on his computer. It was like fucking magic. Didn't emulate for myself until a few years later since he didn't show me how to do it and my parents were afraid of me putting viruses on the family computer by downloading things, so emulation was like a forbidden fruit until I got old enough to be trusted (and then I had to keep it on a USB drive to be safe, my parents did not know that much about computers).

>own Zelda: Oracle of Seasons as a kid
>game tells you to buy Ages to get the full story
>can't ever find a physical copy of Ages
>mfw finally emulating it

youtube.com/watch?v=Vczpo1N7-7k
This is all we got user.

>TFW Discovering Homebrew as well as emulation and collectively orgasming enough milky ways to fill the perceivable universe

>1999
>discover there's a gameboy emulator on the internet
>could play anything in the entire library- metroid 2, pokemon, mario lands, zeldas etc
>my first emulated game was wwf superstars 3 because I only ever owned 2 at the time

>Got Fightcade set up with a friend
>We can play 3rd Strike and other games even though he's at the other side of the country
Man, what a time to be alive

>yet
It always did, didn't it? It's been a while but you just press buttons when it tells you to and it's done, then you just play games like you would on PS1 with emulator functions bound to keys.

RA would be amazing if it wasn't such a mess.

>Couldn't play Boktai because of nosensor
>flash forward to today and most phone emulators come with an specific command integrated for these games
BASED
A
S
E
D

Barely any games benefit from widescreen since most games have 2D backgrounds and who cares about the bios or opengl?

>Live in rural Mexico area
>Cybercafe owner starts selling CDs with Neoragex and a shitload of ROMs like Metal Slug and KOF
>Too much power in my hand for my little brain to handle
Eventually I got competent at playing fighting games with a keyboard, it was madness, it was lightning.
N64 emulation is still shit. Can't play Paper Mario without fucking around with different plugins, can't even get Battle for Naboo to work

>Fighting game developers won't fork over some cash for GGPO netplay
>People defend this by saying that it doesn't work with new games even though that is complete bullshit
Fuck everything

>Realizing I could play Earthbound after reading so much on it because of Smash

>zsnes
that's to be expected

>PSP
All of the monster hunter, all of the GBA, all of the SNES, all of the PSP itself.

>Wanting to skip the BWAAAAUGHWAAAAAAAAHSHIIIING

alt + shift + 1
First emulator I used that needs a secret code to configure the controller

Toxicity ? How so with oxygen ?

>2002
>dial up internet
>ended infecting my computer with several viruses and telephone bill was astronomical
Yet, totally worth it.

Sauce

>Power hungry
>Bugs everywhere
>Runs at half speed
>Audio is trash
>Runs faster than it's supposed to.
>Textures not loading

did you suck hid cock after?

mario sunshine

I think emulation is great. What I don't like is torrenting. People emulate older games because they can be difficult to obtain and are out of circulation. If you can go to the store and buy the game and you choose not to. you're a scumbag

>being retarded

>mfw never emulated anything

>downloading a game
>not downloading the archive of every single game ever released for the system

>there are people who think piracy is bad but have no problem with used games

? ps2 emulation has worked fine for years

What do you guys think of LAKKA?

lakka.tv/

>tried to play on a shitty emulator, or emulated a system at a time when no good emulators existed yet
>emulation is SHIT!!
Yep, it's retard

Mfw i play nintendo games without supporting their jewery

you can play psx games with the latest build of pcsx2

>yfw Nintendo HATES emulation but can do literally nothing about it
*plays Super Metroid happily*

>tfw my new android phone runs SNES, PS1, GBA, DS emulator perfectly with ps4 controller support

if you live in a third world shithole buying games and consoles can be a living hell due to taxes and import prices even if you're middle class, its part of the reason why pc gaming is so strong in these countries

plus if you are a poorfag its not like not pirating the game will change anything, regardless of pirating or not you won't give them money so its more of a honor thing (if that matters to you), can't speak for everybody who does this but when a game is really damn good and the company isn't anti consumer i like to support them when i have the chance

Finally there is this lack of trustable info about recent titles, demos aren't as common as they used to be and many AAA titles rely on hype trains to fool the consumers into buying a shitty game, it doesn't help that your only trustable sources of "previews" are gaming """""""journalists""""""""" and youtubers who might even be paid to say good things about the game, not saying the issue would be solved but making more free demos for upcoming titles would help a lot (which isn't gonna be a thing anytime soon because if the game was a broken mess it would hurt the sales)

And remember that torrenting is just another method of piracy, which is a thing that has been around way before video games even existed, so i doubt doing consumer friendly decisions would completely stop people from doing that, which is why shit like Denuvo exists

Looks like a frontend for retroarch
So it's a frontend for a frontend

I remember the first time I booted up a GBA game on the PC it blew my mind

Retroarch has it's own Linux distro? I had no idea.
How would that even work?

I remember being surprised when I first discovered emulators, but I almost never used them for anything.

The only time I discovered their magic was when I discovered phone emulators.

>Senior Year in high school, having a smart phone isn't common unless you're rich.
>Some kid "Shatters" his Itouch (Just a tiny crack on the top) and then sells it to me for 50 bucks.
>Install SNES emulator on it and Earthbound because I heard people online rave about it.
>Has random slowdowns, glitchty graphics, sucked my battery dry.
>mfw reaching the first Your Sanctuary while taking a dump during lunch and hearing that song through my earbuds.
youtu.be/u96wjZfFcTs

Always gives me chills.

They can't do anything about emulation but they make up for it by bullying fanmade stuff as much as possible.

>tfw you discovered the quick-save feature

>Nintendo hates emulation
>but the Wii version of Mario All-Stars is just a rom with an emulator

>all those games you shamelessly beat through save scumming because you were too lazy to put any actual effort into them

>>Discovering emulation
>>Discovering the fact that my shit toaster laptop can't emulate anything more sophisticated than PS1 and N64 games
I need to save up enough to build a decent PC.

>when you discovered torrent

I deal with this by "locking myself in" for a certain series. Like I'll say "I'm going to play Castlevania" and then I marathon a ton of Castlevania games in order instead of just one, and tell myself I'm not allowed to play anything else until I've finished enough of those games.

I can't play pokemon without a fast forward function now.
Plus the higher res is fucking amazing.

>yfw you discovered piracy for the first time

Right now I have no gpu and a pentium 3200
I can even emulate most things wihout problems. I can even go 1.5 the res on dolphin. I'll get a gpu soon though user.

that's a thing many companies do, if they don't bully popular fangames they will lose strength in a court if they ever need to defend their IPs, the idea isn't stop fans from breaking the law (that would be a big waste of time and money) but rather show they are "trying" to stop them by occasionally shutting down popular projectsits the reason why shit like project M gets taken down but all its other branches don't
>but muh jews
You can have a room full of execs who love that shit but they will still take it down anyway because its for the best of the company, its sucks but its either be a faggot or lose your company

>inb4 defense force

well yeah, they hate emulation when it isn't handing them money.

Ever heard of nerve gas? Yeah you guessed it, it's caused by too much oxygen.

>OMG CONSOLE GAMES ARE ALL SHIT KEK FUCKING PEASANTS
>OMFG MY FACE WHEN I FUCKING DISCOVERED EMULATION TO PLAY BASED AMAZING CONSOLE GAMES OMG BRO HAHAH
PCfags everyone

First ROM was Pokemon Silver.

I actually followed the warning on the site I downloaded it from about deleting it within 24 hours so it wasn't illegal. Made me paranoid for a few days.

made me switch to pc
from macintosh

Fuck off faggot can't you leave your stupid console war shit >>/out/ of our nostalgia threads?

>be american
>play Pokemon Silver
>SWAT breaks into your room

Was with JNES, was mildly surprised at how well NES games could be copied.

I got into emulation pretty late on

There are still tons of games that don't work properly. The PS2 used a lot of wacky programming and hardware techniques that make emulation very difficult. Classic example is how the eyes look weird in Jak 2 because they used the built-in PSX emulation to render them.

He got you to reply, he already won

>Find ZSNES and play Yoshi's
>Accidentally hit a key
>Background layers disappear
>Flip my shit and start mashing everything.
>Games flipping out, I'm flipping out, think I broke everything.
>mfw just restarting it fixes it

>had iphone4S emulation
>play pokemon and castlevania on the bus

oh well the ps2 is only good for jrpgs and those work fine

Consolefag hate didn't start until the mid 00's. That's when casualized design and poor optimization started affecting PC games. Before that it was all about playing fun video games.

You may be able to dig up some anti-console usenet posts from before then, but people who hated consoles in the 80s and 90s were an extremely rare breed of faggot.

He can have his (You) I just want him to take his stupid shit somewhere else.

You wouldn't survive in the wild.

You are either salty or poor, anyways enjoy your 30fps potato toaster

source?

Reverse search gives me nothing. Help.

>disabling sprite layers is mapped to the number keys
Fuckhead interface design is an ongoing problem with emulators. See: loading a rom in Higan

exhentai.org/g/976667/f5113e445f/

>tfw you first play a gameboy emulator back in '97
>pocket monsters was the rage in japan
>pokemon blue/red comes out for the US and you already know everything about the game

shitposters feed on reaction, don't be a bloody newfag and stop wasting your time talking to walls, regardless of his bait being legit or not a cold shoulder is the ultimate safe proof anti ruse method, and if other people end up taking the bait just let them be dumb on their own, one less IP is a step on the right direction

Also please don't be that guy who thinks he is immune to bait because he posts bait macros, you're not being superior or funny, you're admitting you know its bait but your autism is keeping you from using common fucking sense and just ignoring it, either that or you think you're making some huge sacrifice by pointing out what everybody and their mother already know

I'm too retarded to get past the panda. Is there an nhentai link?

>mfw nintendo shill i know who gives me shit for not buying roms off nintendo's virtual console loses all his purchases because he left his 3DS down where kids can crucify his handheld

I am so a fool for not pouring hundreds into virtual console rereleases like him XD

This.
My friend is such an idiot that he seriously thinks its a big deal to emulate ancient fucking games that are basically freeware.
The devs ain't gonna see your dosh dude and you paying 5-20 bucks for literal bits that was codded in the dinosaur age is retarded.

>download emulator
>load iso
>play game

>mfw making my PSP into a mobile emulator machine

Is it hard to get some MonHun online action going?
Or should I just get a 3DS?

>Parents were ultra-conservative Christians
>Video games are the devil
>Card games are the devil
>Writing fiction is the devil
>TV is the devil
>Comics are the devil
>Get a computer of my own so I'm not using
theirs
>Amuse myself with solitaire and password protected stories I'm writing
>Friend tells me about emulation
>Get him to buy me a controller
>Play all the games
>No, seriously
>Yes, even superman nes
>Yes, even Captain Novolin
>I am become games
>Games don't paddle you for coughing in church
>Games don't throw screaming fits
>Games don't tell parents to punish daily to stifle rebellion

Can only spoonfeed so hard.

>mfw flashcarts and making bullshit illegal pokemon
>mfw psp emulation
>mfw dolphin

I don't remember what was my first emulated game, but I do vividly remember one of the first completed emulation game.

Earthbound/ Mother 2

Get a 3ds and hack that shit

Are vidyas haram for Christians too?

I was nervous, mom would have freaked if she found out

>mfw I discovered piracy in hs
>mfw I began putting full movies on a flash drive
>mfw I started selling movies
>mfw I even had to sell a couple of lewds

>Can't emulate GC/PS2
>Even if I could, my controller has horrendous drift on both sticks

>/fit/

Ayy, me too.
I played it after graduating high school but before I started college, in hindsight that was a damn good game to play at that time.

Not him, but as someone who grew up in a "Christian Household" in California, parents who denounce vidya as demonic are very real. I'll always remember that our pastor was so booty-bothered by Pokemon, he dedicated 4 weeks worth of sermons to "putting a spotlight on how Satan infests the minds of children through interactive electronic games with cute animal characters that get their powers from Hell"

Then around the time I finished it for the second time I discovered that there was a Mother 3 full translation

I am currently replaying Mother 3 again after 5 years.

The first game I emulated to completion that I had never played before?
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga.

what is that person reacting to

Technically piracy

The day i was first able to pirate my own ps2 games was the greatest day of my life
I felt like i had just stolen an entire game store

Lucky....When I was in high school there were no smart phones.
And if you saw a kid with a laptop then his family was rich because those cost thousands.
Only emulators at that time ran like shit and lots of issues.

>mfw my nerdy-ass cousin had a bunch of N64 classics on his PC before the PS2 even released

I was only a kid at the time, I thought I was witnessing some top-secret hacking bullshit. Completely dumbfounded, and too shy to ask.

Finding out I could play all the super Nintendo games I had as a kid got me rock hard then once I found a VBA emulator foe my phone I was in fucking heaven.

>School had one of those server systems where you'd log in and could access your 50MB of storage from any PC
>Load an emulator and some NES/SNES games onto it
>Someone sees me playing Metroid during computer class free time.
>Asks me to get it going on his
>Tell him it's really complicated to get going (not because it was but because the class was almost over and I didn't want to spend the rest of it explaining shit to him)
>he offers to give me 10 bucks to do it
>word gets around
>dozens of people make the same offer

>tfw I made over 500 bucks in middle school by dragging and dropping a few files.

>female face
>muscular male body
>penis
what the fuck is

There are a lot of radicals that think that anything they don't understand fully in technology is evil and of the devil. They were very prominent in the 80's, 90's, and 00's and still exist but aren't prevalent in politics and news much anymore. The SJWs are taking their place though.

They also are the ones you'd see burning dozens of Harry Potter books and condemning DnD players without even thinking to just look into it and understand what it even is.

It's a load of crap, and I recommend ignoring them. They give my belief a bad name.

I remember hearing about how Pokemon was considered demonic back in the early 00's. IIRC, we weren't allowed to bring anything related to Pokemon to my private school. Coming from someone who comes from a Pentecostal family, legalism has always been laughable.

>Playing all those SNES games I didn't before seeling it to buy a n64
>Finally playing pokemon and other gameboy games.
I actually discovered JRPGs thanks to emulators, I never tought of renting or buying one, usually went with action and plataformers.

>Get to replay all the games my brother sold years ago.
Fucking love it

Ooo there's my chippy

>mfw finally upgrading from a toaster so I can emulate GC games

With the gamecube adapter to boot, I'm ballin hard

did anyone bought this?

youtube.com/watch?v=MFY9Kv1c4-Q&feature=youtu.be

I had this somehow, but never remember buying it, maybe I stole it from a local games magazine or some shit.

Honestly, I thought it sucked at first. I got used to it, but it always will be inferior to the original hardware.

>mfw

My retroarch doesn't look like that. Here's how it does. Am I using a different one?

>I actually discovered JRPGs thanks to emulators
Me too.
Started off with Chrono Trigger, then Earthbound and for PSP Star Ocean.
Fast forward: Just finished Disgaea 1 and 2.

found it danbooru.donmai.us/posts/2045545?tags=penelo

How the fuck do I get rid of the awful filtering in MAME?

>2014
Get the latest version.

SEIKEN DENSETSU 3

Wasn't that game made before console games could have patches?

What kind? Games have been getting translation patches since the late 90's.

Oh, right, I guess that could apply since SD3 was Japan-only. What does the translation patch do that ruins the game?

>The emulation scene peaked around 2000 when people were emulating PS1 and N64 at the same time they were the current consoles on the market.

Same thing happened with Wii.

Nothing as far as I know. Played the shit out of the translated rom when I was younger, never ran into issues anywhere. There are some bugs in the game itself (Kevins attack power among others), but I don't think the translation added any game bugs. Some people get pissy over translation deviations and the like, but I don't really care since it makes the game so much more playable anyway, and I don't think SD3 had silly/egregious translator changes like Tales of Phantasia anyway.

sauce on the pic? need something to enlighten my day

>underaged shitters will never know the true feeling of JUST THE WAY THE PROGRAMMERS INTENDED

youtube.com/watch?v=ynjERjWIOmY
youtube.com/watch?v=94JcCOd2Fno
youtube.com/watch?v=wGkZf6n_VXM
youtube.com/watch?v=N-grxQ2y71o

>Halo Cache Editor
>Make the Scorpion turret shoot rockets
>Fuck with the Warthog physics
>Make the sniper shoot Scorpion shells

>tfw those fuckers destroyed /vr/

I remember it in its heyday. So many music threads. So many cool psygnosis covers and old ads.

Now it's just NOT RETRO this and MUH CHIPSETS that.

Hell, I haven't run into any problems with PCSX2 either.

It's come close enough for me. Only thing that doesn't work that I know of is it crashes when you try to play certain games at the arcade. Games that are perfectly emulated elsewhere.

Best case scenario Yu Suzuki rereleases the first two games to ease the Shenmue 3 hype, like how Ice Pick Lodge finally retranslated Pathologic in anticipation for their new game.

>mfw save state scumming when trying to capture pokemon

u mean the elitists of /vg/?

>playing FFTA on gba, game corrupts just as I'm at the final battle
>couple years later realize I can emulate the game
>classes cancelled because of a thunderstorm, play that shit for twelve hours straight
Never emulated much, but that's my fondest memory. I'd play a few GBA and DS games on my phone but I tend to abuse the save states and end up hating myself for it

So is ps3 emulation possible?
If yes do i need a NASA computer?

For some reason emulating stuff on my computer always felt kind of hollow.

Emulating on a handheld though, that's where it's at.