Just beat pic related for the first time since playing on launch. Am I retarded? I had a great time with it...

Just beat pic related for the first time since playing on launch. Am I retarded? I had a great time with it, the firefights were fun the whole way through, the environments were beautiful and I enjoyed exploring them, and the story is pretty well executed, some cheesy moments aside.

I realize it has flaws, its not a 10/10 by any means, but why is it hated so much? I for one appreciate the more action-oriented focus.

>why is it hated so much?

1) It's one of the most overhyped games ever. People make it out to be this masterpiece of a game that descended from heaven

2) A lot of elements have been dumbed down or stripped away interely.

3) The story is pretty stupid.

I'm gonna replay it soon myself to see how well it holds up.

>linear corridor shooter
>retarded story full of plot holes and contrived technobabble
>wait a minute, that card

I think calling infinite the most overhyped games ever is an overhyped opinion. in 2013, sure. but since then? and overall? I don't think so. No Man's Sky was hyped up and was barely even a fucking game, thats a bigger gap between pre release hype and final game.

While elements are definitely missing or worse, I don't feel it has made it a less fun game. In fact, i had much more fun simply playing the game, in minute to minute action, than Bioshock 1, which I also recently replayed. It's far less deep, of course, but they handled the action quite well. skylines are an amazing mechanic that add so much to the speed of combat, and having all 8 vigors at your disposal at once is a good change as well. Plus there's the change Bio2 made, using weps and powers at the same time. It's comparatively fast paced, and it works well.

The story I can't really defend. I enjoyed it a lot in the moment, but of course, any story dealing with these concepts will have plotholes. I just wish the game ended with the Lutece's parents being killed, to truly "break the cycle". But drowning the player's character makes for a more impactful moment, I suppose.

Definitely give it another go, though. Going in with accurate expectations helped me a lot.

The ending is trash

it was okay

>Am I retarded?
You lowered your expectations to a reasonable level. I wouldn't call you retarded if it didn't take you 3 years to do so.

If you haven't played any of the previous Shock games than it can be a good game for you.

If you've played any of the Bioshock games its a disappointment.

If you've played the System Shock games its a painful reminder of just how far gaming has fallen.

Well I recently finished Bioshock 1 and 2 for the first time. I was pretty disappointed with 1, but 2 I loved. So I'm definately going in with a new perspective.

Except it's STILL hyped. By idiots.

And nah, the action wasn't great. The guns felt like cardboard-punchers, the shoehorned plasmi- I mean "VIGORS" were all redundant, the 2-gun limit completely fucked with the gun upgrade system and frankly, unless you're playing on normal/easy, the game tends to grind to a halt whenever you start running out of ammo. Yet another game whose difficulty is balanced around effective health, great. And the level design was balanced around lower difficulties, so you have to cheese your way through, peaking around corners & hiding under stairways. Ignoring shit like the skyline gimmicks.

And That's not to mention the fucking story, the characters, Jesus Christ all the fucking cop-outs and committee-designed bullshit.

It's a THOROUGHLY mediocre game and it is STILL considered, probably for a long time to come, 'one of the greats'.
It's hot garbage is what it is.
Just like all the other contemporary dross flooding the AAA market.

>He actually finished Infinite

This game was so fucking obnoxiously preachy I quit the game halfway through.

Scenery was nice though, especially the first part of the game where you do jack shit.

>Why is it hated so much?

It's not. It's only hated by retard manbabys on Cred Forums. Everyone else had fun with it.

You are a fucking faggot talking shit about shit you haven't played.

>why is it hated so much?

TOP fucking KEK

>he actually takes what Cred Forumstards say seriously

Preachy about what?

Your opinion is invalid due to not finishing it.

exactly, people who hate it are people not smart enough to understand the story

i can't 100% blame them though since parallel universes and quantum mechanics is hard to understand in general

meh, I just always held on to the opinion that it was shit, and not worth my time. Then I gave it another shot, and now I'm quite fond of it.

accurate depending on your expectations. if you wanted bioshock 3 you were in for disappointment from the start

>And nah, the action wasn't great.
Well, you can't convince me I didn't have fun, so I'm gonna have to disagree. Also, you know vigors were stolen from Rapture's plasmids, right? There is a story reason for their existence, whether or not its legitimate is up to you to decide. I played on normal so the 2 gun limit and upgrade system didnt bother me. I was able to stick to the carbine and shotgun for most of the game, and it was a lot of fun doing so. but yeah, the higher difficulties are balanced really poorly.

>It's a THOROUGHLY mediocre game and it is STILL considered, probably for a long time to come, 'one of the greats'.
It's hot garbage is what it is.
Just like all the other contemporary dross flooding the AAA market.

you're trying even harder than infinite did to sound smart. It's better than mediocre, but slightly worse than what critics made it out to be. But isn't that always the case? Just my two cents, anyways.

gee, its almost as if sometimes the general consensus won't represent every single person's opinion.

don't excuse the story's shortcomings by "it was too deep for you, you just didn't get it". even with a proper understanding of it, it has plotholes. But that's fine, most stories with concepts like these do. And Bioshock 1's story relied quite heavily on its plot twist, after which the story is pretty shit.

I know right?
It makes me feel so stupid.

I don't give a shit about that though, the gunplay was fun and the vigors are pretty fun to use as well.

This would be written into law if Jewish faggot developers had their way.
>if you hated the game enough to drop it, your opinion doesn't count!
Kys senpai

if I play portal, but find out I hate puzzle games, am I qualified to call the game shit?

You bought the game but didn't finish it, your opinion is practically worthless.

I unironically love 1999 mode.

what does it change, exactly?

>the ghost boss on 1999 mode

We are here for too long, this place is shit.
I actually like Fallout3, Witcher3, MGSV and other shit Cred Forums spit on collectively

good for you, user. the hivemind hasnt changed you. keep that attitude up.

I get you but the gunplay is limp and half the vigors were exactly the same.
Shit gunplay was a problem Bioshock 1 and 2 suffered as well but at least you had a lot of weaponry available and some weapons were pretty creative, the different ammo types added some depth to the combat as well. Infinite combat is so streamlined it may as well be CoD.

The worst thing they did in Infinite was the two weapon limit.

The story reason is bullshit. This should not have been a bioshock game.

Fuck your speedy action and YET MORE clicking on bullet-sponge heads. Give me back my traps and planning. My lazy stealth and 'research'. My 'more complicated than pressing a SINGLE BUTTON' hacking.
This is shallow SHIT.

And I doubt very much if anyone can try harder than bioshock fucking infinite to 'sound smart'.
>dis is uh smarht game four smahrt players

Just set traps on her spawns.

No navigation aid, tougher enemies, all the usual bullshit.

It's pretty bullshit in parts like and the last fight, but I like how bullbusting it is.

It's not that well designed 2bh but I like the unfairness of it.

its definitely the most pointless change, if anything.

who started that narrative though? the devs, critics, or players? I'd say a combination of all three, mostly the latter two. and see, the things you want were already present in not one but two Bioshock games. I get wanting more, I really do. I can understand the frustration of a series changing in the ways it did. But personally, I accept the change, and appreciate it for what it is. I enjoy both styles. But I would be lying if I said I had more fun with combat in bioshock 1. Infinite just feels better to play, for me at least.

>using the navigation aid to begin with
at no point was I ever in need of that assistance. It's linear enough to direct you towards the correct path, but still has areas to explore, though they are much smaller than usual. But hey, its an optional mode, so the ridiculous difficulty can't be knocked too hard.

This, what a fucking moron. Keep getting your opinions from angry autistic weaboos

>the good goy has given up his money, no need to impress him any longer
>OY VEY STOP SHITPOSTING

Portal didn't have a hamfisted-yet-neutered slavery/revolution shit saturating every pore of the puzzles you fuck.

I clearly stated in the OP that I enjoyed the game thoroughly, so I'm not sure where you're getting this from. I'm disagreeing with Cred Forums, not blindly following it.

I still need to beat 1999 with no ammo purchases for the platinum but I lost steam about two years ago

think I was in Finkton

that's completely irrelevant. the point is if a game isn't for you, you aren't fit to critique it.
>Portal is a bad game!
>why?
>I hate puzzles!
>but it's a puzzle game.
>I hate puzzle games!

now, I'm not saying that your criticism is invalid. But generally reviewing the complete product is preferable. Isn't it considered a bad thing when reviewers publish scores without having actually beat the entire game?

I'm trying to play Bioshock 2 and don't really like it so far.
Main character is simultaneously slow and fragile.I don't feel like Big Daddy at all

my issues were than enemies were bullet sponges so i was always runnning out of ammo and having to switch to whatever i could find, never being able to use my upgraded weapons
also the resistance versions of each gun dont get your upgrades which is super lame

also plasmids are boring

on normal I didnt find this to be an issue, but holy fuck do I agree about the vox populi weapons. They are ALL inferior to the colombian versions. EVERY SINGLE ONE is worse. what the fuck were they thinking with that?

Are you saying bioshock infinite was a "preaching game"?

And we aren't paid reviewers giving professional reviews. We're end consumers giving our raw opinions.
Therefore you two can take your 'didn't finish the game' shenanigans and shove em. That doesn't invalidate the critique. Bringing up game completion like that is just a red fucking herring.

Not that user btw.

i would honestly recommend playing infinte on normal rather than hard because running around and skyhooking is way more fun that playing it as a cover shooter

hey no man, I didnt bring that up to begin with. I think you can make judgements on core gameplay issues, and tone maybe, but of course someone with a more complete experience has a more fully accurate view on the game. Regardless, everyone can contribute to the discussion on some level. and no, I wouldn't say bioshock is preachy, at all really. It's a bit pretentious, but it doesn't preach a single thing.

I found that to be the case as well. Skylines are such a great mechanic, one of Infinite's true successes. They work on every level they're meant to.

Eh you're a cool guy but I disagree with you about this game. Probably because I played & liked the previous iterations, started on hard-mode, and very quickly got a distaste for the whole setting. Everything about it- wasn't even a fan of how the buildings were floating around individually.

It's late, gl with the shitposting.

aw man we really just disagree about it then. I LOVED how buildings floated individually, really gave the city a unique feel and look, like it could fall apart at any second. I dunno, I liked that. and for the record, I loved Bio1 and to a lesser extent 2 as well, but I guess I just had my fill with that formula and was ready for a new direction. While it wasn't consistently successful like 1 was, it was enjoyable in its own right. Also I played on normal, which is apparently the most balanced difficulty with no bullshit frustration.

thanks, I'll do my best

>the fights were fun

i dont want to sound mean, but please play more games user

like what? I play plenty of FPS, skylines are fun and the guns were satisfying on normal. anything higher and everything is a bullet sponge. maybe that was your issue?

I really have a kind of "thing" against the Bioshock series, because at the time the games were hyped to be this great thing and when I played them, I always thought they sucked. I hate 1. It's an example of a game that was hyped but then in practice wasn't very fun, and I felt it was extremely shallow. I hate that game, honestly. It's just one of those things in my mind which represents how I am able to see shit well before other people do, and now most people rather agree with me. At the time I had to ask myself if I was crazy, because everyone around me was saying "this is amazing!!!!" and making retarded faces while they said it. Now it's largely agreed that the game wasn't that great. The reasons could be explained why I didn't like it.

First off, linear. It just felt very humpty dumpty. And not like Half Life 2 linear where there is variety and epic storylines, and changing atmosphere setting and general gameplay. With Bioshock it was rote linearity in a similar area, and the puzzles and things became quickly recognizable. It lacked much variety, frankly. And though the combat was kind of good, the elements of the area became overly repetitious. What I mean is that you could see through how they built it and it wasn't good. The game engine itself was not good, with movement and how you interacted. Those things in mind together made the game feel somewhat hollow to me. There were definitely, DEFINITELY good elements. It was just that it wasn't anything close to being as good as Half Life 2 or similar games so that hype around it made it seem frankly kind of awful. It's not awful though it's actually good. And lets be honest, Bioshock 3 looks beautiful. The sky city, the character is memorable (the hot chick) and the combat appears to be pretty good. Haven't played it so don't know. I can see why people would like the game.

I agree with him, KYS. This argument is horseshit.