Are video games shitty because of reddit?

Has Reddit killed video games? It seems to me like developers listening to their communities has led to video games being far shittier than they were 8+ years ago. As Reddit is a cesspool of bad community feedback and the main one viewed by developers, it seems reasonable to assume they're the main source of the problem.

Is Reddit and shitty community feedback in general killing games, or am I just auting out because of nostalgia?

Developers are just catering to their main audience, and that audience is reddit

>Is Reddit and shitty community feedback in general killing games, or am I just auting out because of nostalgia?
You're not wrong, it definitely killed oldschool Runescape

Nah youre right. Dota keeps getting shittier with every patch now that reddit balances the game

Developers offloading design and balance to the masses was a mistake.

I think it is a bigger issue than that.

There are barely any video games where the creator takes pride in their work, where they have a vision and want to share it. The biggest problem with any discussion board is that "fans" think they can do it better than the devs. Sometimes, this is not a bad thing, but most of the time it is. They will spam the dev over and over until they actually change something, sometimes resulting in horrible decisions and the fans leave them even when they listen.

Although devs are not innocent either, they try to downgrade and casualise games beyond any known limit so they get broader audiences, which ends with more "fans" suggesting more ways to make the game "better"

It has turned into a vicious cycle.

It has been the most balanced though with about 110/115 heroes picked at the last international. Valve mostly listens to the pros with DOTA. With TF2, it is a different story.

as much as I hate the Reddit buzzword, I have to agree that the steam platform has been completely infested by them
community, feedback, donations, economy, servers... eveything is run by the reddit mindset

video games are shitty becuase you are on Cred Forums.
and hate life in general.

Yes because one very large community is influencing things in games where it should be a larger number of sources.

Reddit is just where people congregate nowadays. 10 years ago people used to ruin games by shitposting in their official forums. WoW got many a kneejerk balance hotfix based on probably less than 100 fuckwits posting continuously about it in the forums

>less than 100

You know there were a lot of people using the Internet in 2004 right? A lot of those people also played WoW

blizzard is retarded on their own without community feedback, their shit balance dates back to days when they were silicon and synapse making rock and roll racing.

I mean the threads that covered 'contentious issues' that prompted quick hotfixes usually only had 100 unique posters in them, posting on mains, alts, etc.

At least the volume of people visiting reddit ensures a few thousand people agree before feedback is acted upon - ie. only feedback posts with 5k or more upvotes usually get acknowledged, the rest are put in the trash, where they rightfully belong because they aren't representative of more than a small niche opinion.

Honestly Blizzard has been far better about not listening to every dumb suggestion from the community in the past few years than in the past. Draenor Flying is a good example. They stuck to their principles despite the largest tidal wave of neckbeard butthurt in recorded history.

>Valve mostly listens
It's icefrog. He's like the only guy working on the game. You are right about listening to pros feedback but it's mostly Icefrog.

For instance, cs go is still full of unbalance shit because nobody is listening to the community.

except Blizzard listen to their whine. I remember tokens drop from dungeons being suggested way back in Vanilla. I read about it and they even suggested removing rng drop loot which kind of killed the purpose of gaining epic doing dungeons for certain bosses.

I stopped visiting and playing WoW. I bet way before Legion the forum could have suggested free Legendaries since epic was like green drop because it's not that rare anymore.

I wonder what will Blizzard do now that legendary being handed out for basically free. Are they gonna create another rank of gear above legendary?

>except Blizzard listen to their whine.
Kind of, they're a lot better about it than they used to be. Part of it is probably the game is dying so they have to concede some points to the fans, to keep people playing. Old Blizzard would have folded on Draenor flying in a week.

>suggested free Legendaries since epic was like green drop because it's not that rare anymore.
>I wonder what will Blizzard do now that legendary being handed out for basically free.

The chance of a legendary drop is like 0.001%. The only reason people have multiples is because of a bug. I hate current WoW, but exaggerating helps nobody.

Wasnt blizzard who started to overuse the "hero" bullshit in warcraft 3 teasing everyone into wow and future mobas?
I know special units exist since forever, but thats what i felt, not much friends were in to c&c or other Rts's.
They were fucking desperate for warcraft 3 and doing shit with the special units because OP shit.

One person who may know better offers you praise and constructive feedback.
While another who thinks he knows better constantly complains, criticizes and attacks you over every single thing.

Which person would you rather listen to?

>has reddit killed video games

Reddit is by far better than Cred Forums for specific threads and sub communities, it's just filled with cancerous members

Key words being "who may"

Also echo chambers are not good things. It results in the worst of any world. Not saying screaming monkeys are any better, but it is one of the worst things that can happen.

Eh, the problem is reddit isn't a place to find fans, reddit is for trends and memes.

Blizzard long ago abandoned its forums to rampant trolling and no fun police, and only listen to social media, which is probably why their multiplayer focused games suck so much these days.

Hello, Read It.

NO.

Fucking normies and SJW retards ruined gaming.

Of course, there's a few Jews in the mix pulling the strings.

>tfw the devs for your favorite game moved the forums to reddit

Yes and no.

Its our fault (gamers in general really) for allowing reddit to become -the- voice of the 'consumer' over the years.

Reddit is easily hi jacked by agenda driven people just by abusing the upvote system, i've seen games that looked promising but were hijacked via reddit feedback skewed by the upvote/karma system, along with the general mob mentality of reddit in general.

Like Elite Dangerous, god forbid you said anything bad about the early alpha back in the day and asked for 'more content' hell if you ask now you'd still probably get shadowbanned, and look how that game ended up.

Reddit is simply another tool in the media machine, and needs to be treated as such, it is not a good platform for developer/consumer interaction.

Counterstrike was always 'imbalanced'

I don't see where you're going with this, top tier guns were always going to be top tier, thats why there is a point buy system.

video games being produced the same way movies are is what killed them. vast amounts of a games budget is spent on marketing and deception (e3) and a lot of work is outsourced to china, many large companies like ubisoft have sweatshops in china.

Reddit also balances starcraft 2, and as you can see, now starcraft2 is dead.

1. Video games aren't shitty.
2. They are different because they are pop culture now.

Reddit follows them for the same reason they changed, social acceptance, popularity, and geek is chic.
It will pass, and we will get back to lower budged autism games soon enough.

Game-specific subreddits also get toxic as fuck and dominated by a few specific people who post multiple times a day and get upvoted by all the other 'regulars'.

Some developers make the mistake of interpreting this as actually representative of the community.

The Titanfall sub for example has recently gotten completely out of control with toxicity. Thankfully Respawn seem to be holding it at arms length, making some concessions, but not compromising their entire game design of Titanfall 2 because of the opinions of 20-30 regular posters.

Yeah 90% of people playing that game, myself included, would like it to be more casual and less of a fucking job to play. All the macho dudes on /r/starcraft2 want it to be more of a job, and more like Brood War, and they're the guys who get listened to for some reason.

Video games have always been popculture.

We're just at the early 80s level of bloat with shovelware waiting for a crash that will never come because we don't have arcades to fall back on anymore.

What reddit is good for: Offloading news to get a hype train going.

What reddit is shit for: feedback

Reddit is -shit- for discussions.

The bigger a forum gets, the worse it becomes. This applies to Cred Forums and Reddit both.

Yep. Just went into Taleworlds forum, there are lots of reddit shit going on there. I hope the devs can ignore most of it. Reddit audience always comparing shitrim/dark souls to mount and blade.

Get a grip you idiots Reddit is only a very small fraction of video game players they are hardly influential and almost as irrelevant as modern Cred Forums

Your guys's obsession with reddit and it being this boogeyman is so retarded, I bet they don't even think of this website at all

I don't know, I don't use that website.

>Someone creates a topic on reddit about dota2 or war thunder problems, suggesting soultion, provides screenshots.
>People start polite discussion (or nazi mods will ban you)
>Dota2\WarThunder patch is released: "that thing fiscussed on reddit is now fixed and re-done the way people like"

im ok with it.

reddit isn't a boogeyman, its just a shitty place to have any form of discussion.

What we're bitching about is that most companies have forgone their forums to use reddit/twitter and shit for feedback, like jeff kaplan.

Twitter and social media also bad for games these days.

Not video games, but Cred Forums surely is ruined by Reddit
>shitty indie-games getting constant appraisal
>shitty AAA games getting appraised
>Call of Duty and Battlefield's past Bad Company/Battlefield 2142 threads
>calling everything Pol when something isn't politically correct

Sounds like you're just asshurt that people disagree with you. Need a safe space?

Reddit are nu-male cucks what did you expect

No, it isn't reddit so much as the people who frequent reddit who would exist regardless. When games pandered to the normie they were lost, specifically AAA games.

And if devs aren't on Reddit they're in a hugbox like Neogaf.

This is the only rebuttal Redditors have

>we try to reach broader audience
Stop doing this. Fuck.

Wow what a convincing argument!

I don't have hope in video games anymore

Except he's super active on their own forums, there's so many instances where we see screencaps of him answering questions on there.

Well, post them then.

Stop ruining my narrative!

In idea, reaching a broader audience isn't bad. Ease new players in while keeping the challenge and unique properties that the established fan base enjoys.

In practice, it means removing things that give challenge or some uniqueness to the game so they can get those extra sales without considering the fan base they created. At least, this is how most companies do it.

See: Dragon Age.

Reddit didn't fuck tigole

Tigole's best work is done when he's salty as fuck

>love a game so much
>Hate the direction its going in
>tigolerage.txt
>FUCK THIS IM GOING TO MAKE A BETTER GAME
>Does it, to the tune of billions of dollars in mere months

>Reddit is fat mexicans

Fuck off gringo I don't go on Reddit

I don't save that shit, the controversy over the tracer pose was started from him replying to someone on the forum, saying what was inside junkrats canteen, explaining lootboxes determine their loot the instant you retrieve rather than when you open it, just to name a few instances.

>dubs
>on Cred Forums

>lol
>Outside of their threads

7/10

Good developers don't ever enslave themselves to "communities". Bad developers are bad regardless of whether they make their devicions based on public opinion or inner convictions.

Nothing has "gone worse". Methods of making bad games may change, but it doesn't magically make talented authors into hacks (or vice versa).

This website killed videogames.

>game gets released
>drones from *insert opposing company* spam Cred Forums a couple of days to gather a retard following
>retard followers spam metacritic for free
>retard followers spam the game's Steam forums or whatever means of communication the dev has with their fanbase
>game tanks
>Cred Forums is proud because they have a new TORtanic or whatever name that meme campaign had

You're the cancer killing videogames.

>implying that there are enough anons who won't get the cheetos off their fingers and join in such shit.

Also has their ever been an actual false flag on Cred Forums? I don't remember.

>Game-specific subreddits also get toxic as fuck and dominated by a few specific people who post multiple times a day and get upvoted by all the other 'regulars'.

This is so true. I see it happen with EVERY game. Another thing that happens is that meaningless shit always gets upvoted to the top, like "gg ez... can we not?"

You're giving Reddit way too much credit, but it's part of the problem.

>too much transparency
Don't get me wrong, transparency is good to a certain extent, but we have reached a level where months before a game is released every little detail about it is available on the net. Hell, you can often watch the final boss fight weeks ahead of release on Youtube. There is no surprise or wonder anymore.

>commercial sucess
It's a great thing vidya is not a hobby for kids and basement dwellers exclusively. However, this lead to several problems. Video games never were a medium that thrived off innovation. Just look at the nearly identical sequels and spiritual successors that continue to sell. Regardless, never before have big companies been so scared of mixing things up a little. Everyone tries to play it safe and please as many people as possible. The result are shitloads of games that pander to the lowest common denominator. In the early 2000s, there were a truckload of niche games that dared things here and there, but those aren't really being made anymore - there's not enough money in them. Instead, indies try to fill that niche. More often than not, they either disappoint or are too far up their own ass.

>internet culture
Everyone is a miserable fuck on the internet and the most miserable of them use it as an outlet for their cynicism.

>>There are barely any video games where the creator takes pride in their work, where they have a vision and want to share it.

The problem with doing this is that most of the time most people won't like the developer's vision.

Reddit and Japan killed MGO3. Fuck them.