Grillfriend wants to get into videogames but she has zero coordination, basic M&K movement is difficult...

Grillfriend wants to get into videogames but she has zero coordination, basic M&K movement is difficult, as is analogue sticks for first person stuff.

Octodad and Super Meat Boy seemed frustratingly hard for her, but I'm having trouble working out what would make for a good starting point in actually playing shit herself instead of watching stuff on youtube.

Thinking of starting her off on either turn-based or simple 2d stuff.

>Grillfriend wants to get into videogames
>girlfriend

there's your problem

>
>she has zero coordination
>lets make her play the 2 hardest games out

try mario 3. and dump that bitch if she doesnt like it

I've tried lots of games, managed to get my girlfriend into Hearthstone and she plays it more than I do now. She's still annoyingly slow at using a mouse and borderline can't use a controller though

>Girls
>Expecting coordination ever
HAAH

Just let her play games you play, and teach her. Mouse and keyboard is something that comes after awhile, just gotta work on it.

Holy shit, stop nursing her and let her learn by herself like everyone else did as kids.

My sister is bad at vidya and she enjoyed and finished Gravity Rush Remastered.
Get her something that has:
1) Simple combat, something mash-friendly
2) No required camera control, camera + movement is hard to manage
3) Good, colorful graphics: Nobody getting into videogames wants to play sidescrollers or PS2 emulated shit

Legend of Zelda games are popular among girls for these reasons.

>lets make her play the 2 hardest games out

Octodad seemed like it would be a pretty easy thing to fumble through but the total lack of co-ordination made it impossible, and SMB never seemed like a hard game to me, either.

She liked The Stanley Parable and seemed to have too hard a time grappling with controls to enjoy Overwatch despite being a D.Va fangirl.

>Legend of Zelda games are popular among girls for these reasons.
I was hoping it wouldn't come down to just having her play Zelda.

I have found that all of the following series make for great gateway drugs for those unfamiliar with video games:
>Mario Kart
>Pokémon
>Animal Crossing
>Pikmin
>StreetPass games (3DS)
>Kirby
Incidentally they're all Nintendo games

There's nothing wrong with Zelda.
Go with something more action packed if you want, but try to stick to what I pointed out. Turn games are fucking boring to newcomers by the way, I still can't fathom how kids can like pokemon.

Kids who got into Pokemon back then didn't have ADHD like an epidemic.

why would octodad seem good? I'll admit I've never played it, so this could be completely off base: wouldn't you rather play a game where the controls can be learned, where she would feel familiar with it given some time and exposure? octodad seems like it defeats the idea of her trying to learn and acclimate herself to movement controls

let her play super Mario world and then SM64. Turn based games are good but won't teach her movement

I was thinking more along the lines of strategy or RPG games, rather than pokeymans.

And not wanting to do zelda stuff is mostly because I don't really want to go through the effort of sorting out emulators or needing to buy something like a GC controller + adapter so she doesn't get lost trying to translate on-screen button icons into whatever is in her hand, we've been using a PS3 pad so far and she can just about manage to translate 360 prompts.

Octodad is a game where controls can be learned.
The problem, I think, is that she had a hard time translating her prospective inputs into a desired output. I thought she was overstating her lack of coordination and Octodad was, in my experience, a game where the controls are initially a hurdle but you get used to the style of play quite quickly, for her this was absolutely not the case.

She said she liked Spyro, so I might see how she fares with stuff like Ratchet & Clank, Crash, maybe even Croc.

For 2d stuff I was thinking Kingdom(pretty much a casual mobile game), Rogue Legacy, and maybe Hammerwatch.

Alternatively I could just lock her in a room with MGRR and tell her she can come out when she's made Armstrong her bitch.

Octodad is deliberately made to be difficult and unintuitive to control.

Never seemed that way to me.

But that is sort of the problem.

Over the years I've gravitated towards more difficult games, and so the barrier to entry is so different between us that what makes for a pleasant gimmick or challenge for me is, at this point, a near insurmountable obstacle for her.

Gta, just let her free roam for a while.

How about VNs? Can she read?

Honestly I would start her off on the classics and have her work her way up to harder stuff once she's comfortable with them. Things like Super Mario World, A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy VII. Stuff that doesn't require intense reflexes or have weird control schemes. I'm surprised you thought that starting her off on Super Meat Boy was a good idea lol.

If she liked the Stanley Parable, give games that while potentially challenging: do not require a great deal of dexterity to perform. Monkey Island games may be a good starting point.

>Octodad and Super Meat Boy seemed frustratingly hard for her
>zero coordination
GEE I FUCKING WONDER WHY.
Give her some nintendo games to play. There's a reason why children love them. Kirby for example. Also how old is she? I think age might play into what generation you start her off with.

I've been thinking about introducing FPS games and controls to my parents, and so far the best idea I got for a first game was Portal.
It's pretty much a "work at your own pace" game, for the most of it. It also gives a sense of accomplishment by solving puzzles, as well as lighting up some dormant part of the brain to make sense of portals.
I actually put my young foreign cousin in front of Portal, and even though he didn't understand GLaDOS, he slowly but surely got past several chambers before he had to leave. I'm talking about a kid around the age of 10, who plays games on his iPod Touch.

I said she was trying to get into videogames.

General inability to use analogue sticks has apparently made GTA quite difficult.

>I'm surprised you thought that starting her off on Super Meat Boy was a good idea lol.
To me SMB is a neat little platformer that ramps up the challenge nicely, it teaches you a thing that is in the game and then makes you use it in a pretty safe and simple environment and then gradually increases in difficulty, she struggled once walljumps got involved, though.

She's 26, has some gameboy nostalgia for Mario + Zelda + Kirby, so we're probably going to do some SNES stuff

Having difficulty with sticks is something that will take a long time. Hell, I've been playing games my whole life and gamepads still fuck me up. I can do portable sticks, just not console sticks. Then again I am primarily a PC player.

Try something that's from a top down perspective, both sticks translate to 3rd and 1st person games. Left stick to move, right stick to aim. Only 2 axes might make it easier to get a hold of.

Was going to make her play Beat Hazard or Geometry Wars at some point, might save it for after she gets used to playing stuff that doesn't require it though.

Is your gf a fucking retard

To be fair it's not easy for anyone who hasn't played video games much before to get into even "simple" games like Super Mario Bros. Your brain just isn't used to the whole one hand moves and the other does stuff mechanic. That's why you start them off with something easy though, and by easy I mean something a kid could play. Not fucking Super Meat Boy.

I think the best way to get her into different control schemes is to have her play the games that piloted those control schemes. For example my first encounter with an analog stick was Super Mario 64. My first game using dual analog controls was Halo: Combat Evolved. Touch controls was Trauma Center: Under the Knife. Motion controls was Wii Sports. All of those games do a great job of easing you into the controls, instead of expecting you to already have a firm grasp of them right off the bat.

Mario tennis might improve her cordination. You could also just play something that is slow or something mostly static like puzzle games or rpgs

Yeah I was thinking about what turn-based RPGs to try and get her started on.

I'm thinking something like Disgaea would make for a reasonable introduction?

>girl is uncoordinated
>have her play super meat boy

how stupid and tone deaf are you op, honestly

I think your expectations are way too high dude. I've seen you suggest Super Meat Boy for platformers, Geometry Wars for twin stick shooters and now Disgaea for turn-based RPGs. You need to start off with something way fucking easier, that doesn't require you to constantly be thinking three steps ahead. Chrono Trigger would be a great start for turn-based RPGs.

Puzzle games.
They're designed so even a paraplegic can use them with ease. Also, they usually ease time management in as the game progresses.

Baby-mama played a VERY little bit of games here and there when we met, I put her in front of an emu with Dr. Mario and Wario's Woods. Now she's definitely better at Dr. M, and pretty equal to me at WW (though I've never played that shit to lvl 255 or whatever max lvl was -just couldn't stay interested that long.).

This.

You started her on super fucking meat boy? What a shitty boyfriend.

You start a girl out with New Super Mario Brothers, and do 2 player so she can use you as a crutch.

Harvest moon is the GOAT entry level comf game of all time

I think the problem is you're trying to hand pick games for her.

If she can't pick something out on her own and git gud at it, she's a lost cause and you're both wasting your time.

P&C games like Monkey Island and Sam & Max
western vn's like Wolf Among Us
simple platformers like super mario world
simple rpg's like final fantasy five

just think back to what the first games you actually learned when you were a child

Point and click adventures.
Turn-based RPGs.
Walking simulators.

Let her play something that's story and drama oriented. Girls love drama. Until Dawn sounds like the perfect game for her.

You need to start her out on easy shit, dude. Games like Okami or Flower where you can't even really lose. Co-op games would also be a great option, as you can both help carry her through and show her how to play while she is playing. Maybe play a warriors game on easy or some beat 'em up. Trine could be a fun game to try too.

How about you stop trying to push excessively complex or unusual games onto her? Seriously, Super Meat Boy is probably one of the worst choices to begin with, and Octodad is intended to make even people good with video games frustrated with the controls.

If she liked Stanley Parable, then I might suggest less action-focused games. Firewatch and Life Is Strange are two recent ones which were apparently quite good. If she is a fan of puzzles you could try out The Witness or Talos Principle to try to get her into a more FPS mood. Perhaps Portal would be a good choice as well.

So are you interested in having her find some kind of game that she enjoys playing, or are you interested in having a second player for your Overwatch matches? Because if you just want a 2P, stop trying to push your girlfriend into games and just find a player online.

Um Jammer Lammy

Quick question, can your girlfriend rub her stomach and pat her head at the same time?
Children can do this. If she can't she'll probably never be coordinated enough and you should give up.
Also, you're not too bright starting her on Super Meat Boy. Super Mario would have been a better option. The Wii games sound like a safe bet

What the fuck OP you started her with those games, even when you know her low standards? Understand that not everyone is as hardcore as you, give her simpler games first (Mario) then introduce more if she wants to

Stop forcing shit onto her.

go with hack and slash games like god of war. They're simple as fuck and you can feel awesome spamming square and fucking shit up all day long

maybe Civ V or some sort of strategy game like Xcom
or just throw her into Dark Souls and see what happens

Start with something simple but heavily gameplay based. Pokemon might be a good start because it's easy, you get a good feeling for the progress you make and it doesn't take long to finish but has the option to invest a lot more time to 100% it, if she's into it.
Other than that, Yoshi's Woolly World is great for pretty much the same reason but in a different genre and with the added benefit of being cute.
If she's willing to invest more time, I'd also recommend Civ since you can't really lose on the lower difficulties and it's addictive as hell.

kirby, any kirby except kirby land 3, kirby canvas maybe not, but any other kirby will do.

if you want her to play platform games, don't let her play any yoshi games. trust me.
megaman 9 or 10 in easy mode, and then normal, mario kart 8, and maybe a rpg with a theme that she likes.

Get her to play 3d Mario and maybe some beat em ups. Mario will help with the depth perception and beat em ups should help with the combo coordination. Other than that, casual shooters should help her start getting used to the control schemes.

In my experience girls who never play games are best with starting simple to get used to the analaog stick and only one button. Something like Peggle. To get the more familiar with buttons give them a fighting game like tekken and explain how each of the four buttons controls a limb. This is important because 4 limbs is something they understand and can relate with so they will want to move a certain limb and will look to see what button it is and in turn learn what the buttons on a controller are. Dont give them Killer instinct and put them on easy combos or theyll just mash and wont learn anything. From this point its good to play games that are forgiveable like Rayman Origins. Or if they prefer a puzzle game, my girl who never touched a game in her life enjoyed playing Catherine. Just dont be a moron and give them an FPS game or something hard off the bat. If i asked one of your morons to play hockey with me but didnt teach you how to skate and started body checking you, you wouldnt want to play either.

You don't have to get her into platformers

Girls usually like animal crossing and pokemon (and other rpgs)

if she can handle slight SPOOKY
Alan Wake
protip easy mode
other recommendations
Tetris shits addicting
Mario Party friends can help or hinder this, depends on your friends really. also be prepared for bullshit
if she likes the show get her South Park Stick Of Truth easy mode

Maybe go for puzzle games, turn based strategy games or RPGs. They can all be great fun and can have a lot of complexity and depth while requiring little to no mouse coordination to play.

Has the same issue with my wife, she would get mad with Mario party of all things. Try that tomb raider with coop, it's somewhat challenging for a newbie that doesn't understand common game concepts but is easy enough to power through with enough tries. This actually got her interested in the other tomb raiders so I bought those for her too. You could also try mari0 multiplayer simple platformer that is stupidly easy with portals.

i never got the bow

>she would get mad with Mario party of all things
Who doesn't get mad with Mario Party? That's basically the entire point of the game.

go to reddit map
behind C to RU spawn in the valley
find this
knife it
pick it up
bow unlocked

>super meat boy
no fucking shit it's going to be frustratingly hard for her you asshole

Final fantasy

>Thinking of starting her off on either turn-based or simple 2d stuff.
Basically this. Many younger children (I'm talking about 4 or 5 years old) have a hard time handling newer generation controllers because of all the buttons, triggers, and analog sticks. They feel like they need to be aware of every possible button press at any given time so they can't properly focus on anything.

As we grow up, our hand eye coordination is supposed to improve but for some that isn't the case. You've got to give your girlfriend babysteps and start off with NES and Master System games. I highly recommend using an appropriate controller as well, like buying that NES Mini that's supposed to come out soon; having the right controller should help her focus on what's more important.

Once she's managed to beat the Mario and Kirby games, have her try Mega Man and Castlevania. I wouldn't expect her to beat them (those are hard fucking games) but the point is to see how she's improving.

Finally, move on from there and try SNES, Genesis, and finally N64. I'd say to get used to N64 games before moving on to PS1 and modern consoles, the main reason being that the jump to dual analog sticks is a doozy. I remember playing Ape Escape at a SEARS or some shit when I was real young and I was pissed off at the dual sticks. I was positive that shit was too hard to use and would never catch on. Babysteps.

It's gonna be a long fucking process and a big part depends on your girlfriend's dedication. If she doesn't care about video games then it's a lost cause by default. If she's actually trying then she's gonna have to put in the work. Jumping straight to modern games rarely ever works unless the person is super dedicated.

Yeah, start her off on HuniePop, OP.

Shovel Knight
Animal Crossing
Fallout
Pokemon
GTA 5
Legend of Zelda

>To me SMB is a neat little platformer that ramps up the challenge nicely, it teaches you a thing that is in the game and then makes you use it in a pretty safe and simple environment and then gradually increases in difficulty
You're right but you need to have mastered the basic mechanics first. Things like running and jumping at the same time, utilizing momentum, and controlling your landing are not very intuitive or easily picked up. Unless you've played Mario or Sonic games in the past, jumping straight into Super Meat Boy is a fool's errand. I remember having a really hard time wall jumping in Mega Man X4 until I finally understood the proper way to do it. Seems a little stupid and obvious now but shit like that doesn't come naturally at all.

Mario Party is all about the rage, it's like a pub quiz with RNG thrown in. Shouting and anger are what it's all about.

But does she get upset at the randomness of Mario Party or at losing the mini-games? Whenever I play Mario Party with newbies, it's always the players who have a hard time with the mini-games who end up hating the game.