Why was this piece of trash allowed to exist?

Why was this piece of trash allowed to exist?
It's everything about modern game consoles you hate but in 2001!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Dc0bkasI1LU
youtube.com/channel/UCCX0wH4clKjrd7cifrGdrzA/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=70B2s_8V0LQ
youtu.be/wY8yXkpXuf4
jetsetradio.live
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_with_alternate_display_modes
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It was Microsoft's 1st console. It also ran games tons better than the PS2.

The 360 was fucking great though.

>Why was this piece of trash allowed to exist?
Because of a handful of Sega exclusives and Halo. Other than that, it was literal garbage.

YEAH WELL I'LL BE PLAYING ALL MY GREAT EXCLUSIVES YOU SONYNIGGERS AND NINTENDRONES!

YOU KNOW LIKE UH NINJA GAIDEN BLACK AND UH NINJA GAIDEN BLACK OH AND DON'T FORGET NINJA GAIDEN BLACK FUCK YOU!

big black dildo

You are a sad man if you missed out on the xbox og.

DON'T FORGET BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER XBRO!
THIS WAS EVEN BETTER THAN THE DREAMCAST!

>sonygger spotted

Halo was good

Before 4, that is

DON'T FORGET DINO CRISIS 3 BROS GET JELLY FAGS!

GET REKT SONY NIGGERS

The PS2 was only good for its exclusives. XBox was great for running multiplats.

youtube.com/watch?v=Dc0bkasI1LU

Blinx

>HURR LOOK I CAN PLAY A GAME THAT HAS BEEN ON PC SINCE RELEASE

GONNA POST MAX PAYNE NEXT XKEK!?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I REMEMBER THIS.

Also Mechassault 1 and 2.

It's been 15 years and the hueg still makes people mad.

Let it go, fagets.

I'm just stating what each console's strengths were.

Why are you spazzing out?

OG Xbox has a highly underrated library imo. It got some good exclusives from Sega along with a mix of other cool Japanese games. Plus it was the best 6th gen console for multiplats.

>no mention of Otogi yet

What the fuck guys?

Like, a dozen people, tops, on Cred Forums have even played Otogi.

KEEP IT UP XKUCK

>there will never be a working emulator with online
>you will never play Phantom Dust with your friends again
>you will never fuck around in that weird soccer mode in Raze's Hell

Went back and played this not too long ago, the first game gets pretty fucking brutal. I got to the second to last mission and I just cant get past it.

no, it was what modern game consoles should have been. built in hard drive, online play, creative multiplayer games like splinter cell and crimson skies, and a simple dashboard with no ads.

>>no mention of Otogi yet
>What the fuck guys?

It's right there in the second post:
>a handful of Sega exclusives

And again here:
>good exclusives from Sega

>built in HDD
>best joy
>games ran better than on any other console
>games ran on par with their PC counterparts
I wish I could hate consoles for this.

I never knew how much I wanted frisbee combat sports to be a thing until I played this.

Sega only published Otogi though.

>>you will never play Phantom Dust with your friends again
I do, a lot, actually. Look up XLink Kai.

Tunneling is shit though

Get over it if you want to play some Xbox online.

youtube.com/channel/UCCX0wH4clKjrd7cifrGdrzA/videos Just look at these guys.

I made an Xbox mod tutorial. Shows you how to add a new hard drive and hundreds of xbox games. Mine has 200+
youtube.com/watch?v=70B2s_8V0LQ

Wow nice work

Halo is still good

Wow this is great, thanks a ton. Buying an xbox now.

every multiplat game runs better on it.
and even if the 2 controllers were kinda meh now that thing is a good mamestation.

just this

>Hating the OG Xbox

I'm gonna enjoy this one, kid

why is a fist growing on his neck?

It had one redeeming factor

UNDERSTANDUNDERSTANDUNDERSTANDUNDERSTAND

cannot unsee

>implying it wasn't multiplat king of consoles like the 360 was

Just got MvC2 and NFS:U for it today even.

And? Sega is a big publisher. Some of the best Sega games were only publsiehd by Sega. Often, Sega owns the IP though.

Someone in another oXbox thread mentioned something about old batteries leaking or some shit? Was just thinking about maybe getting my old dead one repaired/replaced but then remembered about that

I don't touch any of my consoles lately, but if I were to play one it'd be the Xbox.

Quantum Redshift is a must-have. Only the first sets of games were trash.

batteries for what? the old xbox had wired controllers.

The Hueg uses a capacitor as a clock. It has a bad habit of leaking. I just ripped it out of mine but I think it has to be replaced in consoles made after a certain date (in 2004 IIRC). There's information online on how to find the capacitor.

Some doodad near the power supply is faulty in most models. It leaks and the PSU stops working.

It's the battery on the mobo. Best case scenario if it leaks is that if you unplug the xbox it resets to factory every time, worst case the console is bricked.

I'm the guy that made the tutorial above, it really isn't a big deal with the time capacitor, pretty much all xboxs have leaked by now, if it works you are fine, I have modded around 40 Xboxs by now and just about all of them have dry acid from the capacitor and still work fine.

>not having the best time ever playing halo with 3 friends on 2 huge crt monitors

you missed out

also, has literaly no games.

just because dreamcast was killed xhueg was able to survive a little more.

good hardware no games, best pirate machine.

>also, has literally no games.

Which is why I called it a multiplat machine. I have more games for my Hugebox than I do my PS2.

but multiplat doesn't count on this side.
good original games for xhueg are just a few

I have more xhueg than ps2 games on my collection 2.

it actually lead to how consoles work today.

while i don't agree with the part where you pay for p2p online it did have quite a few nice features

plus there was steel battalion, can't go wrong with steel battalion.

Can we all agree the duke controller is one of the best of all time? Handlets need not respond.

well. its basically a fat dreamcast
just like ps1 a better snes.

still play mine. modding was so easy, I had to do it. and it only cost me $6 for the HD cable.

btw, if any of you play h2 online, let me know. the community just started tournament play not too long ago, and we have hundreds of guilds, with a possible $5,000 payout for tourney winner.

Jet Set Radio: Future and Halo.

>ywn own Steel Battalion or its ridiculous setup
Why even live?

Fucking Panzer Dragoon Orta you fucks.

dont forget coinops and ninja gaiden black

grats on being a blimp size baby, user

damn Jose lose some weight, yah?

i found mine for $130, it's missing the big box it all came in and the main manual (not the one included with the game directly) but it's alot better than paying the full $300 for it.

plays just fine.

btw i mounded my controller to a folding table with some snap command strips. lets me quickly set it up and take it down so the controller don't slide around when i play the game.

>he never watched TRON

tell me legit. do all those buttons do anything? how does this bad boy work. is there some complicated startup that requires you active in a certain order?

watching Rinzler fuck people up with that disc was fucking awesome. I wish I could into acrobatics.

youtu.be/wY8yXkpXuf4

they all do something and are all fully labeled, it even has this goofy startup order each time you start a mission to "boot up" the mech

the fuck are you talking about, Henry?

>he didn't watch the original TRON

José, shave your arms and lose some weight lol.

Fuck off giant spic.

I watched the entire video and I don't even got an Xbox, good shit, might pick one up.

this is all types of rad. I can't believe something this advanced came out on such an old system.

is there anything like this for the 360/ps3/x1/ps4?

Where would you recommend to get a cheap Xbox? They get like 10 of them at a local thrift store for $30 but they're all AS-IS...

It really was the beginning of the end.

>is there anything like this
no no no and especially no.

This shit is too expensive to create, which is why you haven't seen it anywhere.

sadly no unless you like racing games accessories (those get crazy on any system)

steel battalion has a kinect game but without the controller and imprecise kinect it just sucks.

>tfw modded Xbox and modded 360
Only regret is not getting a Steel Battelion controller. Shit costs an arm these days.

I can hear it...

However,
>Microsoft logo
>Not running an xecutor2/3
Someday I will pull my OGs out of storage and maybe put them back together properly.

because jet se radio future

Its actually not. Microsoft had a lot of hrlp from sega so it was still had japenese support. Its the 360 that lead to dude bro. Last gen was one of the worst ever

Part of the reason I got an OG Xbox was for Dino Crisis 3. Thanks for the reminder.

only console with good online.
had the best version of any multiplatform game. (not just slightly better, but much better version of every multiplat.

Honestly that is the cheapest youll get it, buying on ebay is $60+ or you can go to garage sales and hopefully get 1 for less.

Sixth gen was awesome. Best mixture of east and west games. Too bad we'll never see that again.

I'm "almost" fit and a midget, so no.

I bought mine in north hollywood at gamerdude for $50.
with box and all inserts and shit like new never opened, suprisingly clean inside, pcb mint condition.
pretty sure it was from someone who never osed it like OP

I Just soft modded it, no idea about Xecutor.
v1.4

meme game

OG Xbox was an upgraded version of the BlackBelt (Sega of America) Dreamcast Prototype (lost to Sega of Japan's Katana console which went on to become the dreamcast, even though it was slower, harder to develop for and would cost more)

MS insisted on replacing the PowerPC 604e with an x86 chip (for obvious reasons, MS was an Intel shop) and 3Dfx was gone by then, but the engineers all worked for nVidia so that sorted the GPU, otherwise the OS was very different (BlackBelt not actually having an OS, everything was coded to the hardware)

Later after lessons learned with the OG Xbox, MS decided to go back to the original PPC idea (but a far newer chip) and moved to ATi/AMD for graphics as nVidia royally screwed them (issues relating to die shrinks and asic integration)

Xbox division was headed up by former Sega of America personnel, including their head, Peter Moore.
Xbox IS the continuation of SEGA (of America)

>shitting on the original xbox

Ohhh nu/v/, when will you ever learn?

>$30
buy it, purchase a replacement case off amazon/ebay(the clear one is boss), buy a 500gb IDE drive, buy a copy of splinter cell(the required one), remove the capacitor, clean any mess off the motherboard, transfer the components to the new case, softmod it, clone the drive to the new 500gb, enjoy your boss ass system.

love mine.

Because it's the only thing that plays Call of Cthulhu decently.

Fair enough, I don't really like softmodding for the OG Xbox, flashing the xbios is risky as fuck, I'd rather just bypass the original bios chip all together and have it read from a modchip's flash.

This comes about because the Xbox wasn't exactly cheap and I didn't want to break mine back in the day.

EvolutionX was best dash ;)

No it really wasn't. Which YouTuber gave you that opinion OP?

I have 2 that has the TSOP mod bridging done. I'm at work but I would sell it fpr 35 with controller and cords

>Xbox IS the continuation of SEGA (of America)

More accurately it was the death rattle.

EXTER SUGER EXTER SALT, EXTER OIL ANDA MSGEE

>>there will never be a working emulator with online
There will never be a working emulator period. Within the next 20 years, the last remaining Xboxes will all fail (god knows they weren't made to last), and the entire library will disappear
Forever

Xbox 360 has a working emulator :)

xbox 360 is different though.

xbox is a complete mess with undocumented changes making emulation extremely difficult.

Stop trying to steal your games :)

>it doesn't have the games I want to play so it's trash

Not for your favorite game
And another 10 years after that, the 360s will be gone. What then?

but i don't, even on easy to emulation systems.

>tfw i took the xbox with me my dad bought me and my brother for christmas all those years ago when i moved out
>tfw dad softmodded emulators, roms and all the best games that came to the xbox on it

thanks dad

>This game is not on steam
>It will never get on steam
I will not rest until that game gets a steam release

Is the original not good enough? And why do you think it will never be? If JSR is, doesn't that mean JSRF has a chance?

The original and JSRF may as well be two separate games in terms of what their respective gameplay revolves around, but JSRF also looks nicer, plays smoother and has a buttload more content.

>Within the next 20 years, the last remaining Xboxes will all fail
And what might that be due to? HDDs, capasitors, DVD Drives, almost everything can be replaced. I'd be more worried about your PS3, those things heat up so much it's insane.

gotta look at failure rates not just heat.

known issues that eventually hit damn near all of the units can eventually cause death of the system. while many of us know how to fix them a normie would likely just throw it away making the system harder to find in any condition.

Local hobby store has Red Dead Revolver for Xbox for like 8 bucks, and a handful of other stuff for around the same price like Mortal Kombat, Mechassault, and Panzer Dragoon.

Should I, Cred Forums?

Thanks to emulation:
>The PS2 library has been saved
>The Gamecube library has been saved
>The Xbox library never will
It hurts

>tfw i have it somewhere in basement
>right with working xbox

Agree

>Is the original not good enough?
Fuck no.

No 3d fightan MK is ever worth 8 bucks unless you're a curio
The others are good

what really hurts for me as i like using original hardware is being forced to tear apart the cd drive to manually turn stuck gears to get it working again. replacement is prohibitively expensive.

>tfw I've had the same xbox for 13 years

As long as there are Xbox systems in the hands of non-normies the system will stay alive. Now you're admitting it yourself.

Now heat generated by a console is a reliable meter on how long the console will eventually live. Heat stress will be the first and foremost reason of console death, disc drives not counting.

Not Mortal Kombat since the PS2 version is pretty good anyway at a good resolution and progressive scan. You really don't want to play a fighting game with bubble buttons that punch into your fingers.

>Xbox division was headed up by former Sega of America personnel, including their head, Peter Moore.
>Xbox IS the continuation of SEGA (of America)
Wasn't there a funny Peter Moore story about all this? It was something like:
Peter Moore goes to America. As he's going through customs the officer tells him "I don't need to see your passport sir, I know who you are." Momentarily flattered, Peter is about to ask the mans name, until he continues "you're that bastard who killed the Dreamcast"

heat stress is less of an issue now, once a console hits legacy state people stop playing them for 12+ hours in a single session usually and they sit in closets mostly preserved until sold to a new owner.

heat failure usually only happens during the early years of a consoles life, aging disc drives, bad caps, and dried out lubricants are more likely to claim them

I will never let go.

>Captcha asks me to click all squares with airplane
>airplane is huge
>turns to Cred Forums

Do you enjoy my pain?

Heat stress is the largest contributor to busted caps and dried lubricants, let alone larger problems like YLOD and RROD. Disc drives dying doesn't count as a "death" since they are usually standard off-the-shelf parts, but they do contribute to the death by generating much more heat than traditional cartridge consoles.

maybe i'm looking at things differently compared to you. i'm used to repairing systems 30-40+ years old so when those go out it's from age and not heat.

Remember that keeping the system plugged in keeps the system under minor stress at all times. That's why people suggest to unplug consoles (especially old ones) when not in use.

most of that stress will be on the wall wart, which is why more times than not those things never work when you find them on garage sales.

I FEEL IRRATIONAL
SO CONFRONTATIONAL
TO TELL THE TRUTH I AM
GETTING AWAY WITH MURRDER~

>2016
>OG Xbox still can't be emulated

It is too powerful, none understand how it works.

Because it was great, fuck you.

I was always under the impression that the Xbox was basically built from off the shelf parts aside from the custom GPU?

if you don't count the dreamcast (why would you nobody bought it) then this was the console to bring console multiplayer to the masses. i have a lot of great memories playing xbox live. also i still have my modded xbox, if i wanted i could put coinops on it and turn it into an arcade machine. the og xbox also has a lot of games that you cannot emulate. it's perhaps the ONLY old console you should still own. i barely touch my ps2 but my xbox has no dust gathering on it whatsoever.

There's a lot of weird custom shit in the Xbox. When you made something specifically for it, it was NOT easy to port it to PC.

The original IDEA was that it would be a PC in a box but it didn't turn out that way by the end. It's just weird.

Dreamcast actually had a pretty successful launch in the US. I know a lot of people that had it.

What does the OG xbox emulate up to? Can it run model 2 emulators?

I know this is a bait thread but whatever, I'll give you faggots one, just one.
>Online
>Controller S was the best controller at the time.
>Halo, Halo 2, Knights of the Old Republic, Chronicles of Riddick, Crimson Skies, Jade Empire, Ninja Gaiden, Splinter Cell, Project Gotham, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jade Empire.
>Most powerful system at it's time.
>Best multiplayer system of it's time.
>Forced Sony to improve it's own console to compete.
Xbox was the best thing to happen to consoles at the time. PS4 wouldn't be what it is now without Microsoft. If anyone thinks Nintendo is worthwhile competition then, well... lmao!

I know literally nothing, but I read a post once:
Individual nVidia instructions are unknown because they are proprietary, I don't know how people figured out the instructions for other shit, but the nVidia instructions are unknown. Also, there can be multiple instructions performing the same task. Until every single instruction is known, emulation cannot happen.

It's more of a PC in a box than anything that came before it, simply on the back of *having* an OS. But that doesn't mean any modern PC can take it and run it

what's the best custom dash?

i recently pulled out my old xbox and installed a ghost case and it's pretty boss. the system looks pretty great on my trinitron with component cables too.

I will add that if you want to get good component cables dont get the cheap ones off amazon. get the intec or monster cables. I recently bought the cheap ones and they have like no shielding. So if you have any sort of electronic device running a few feet from the cable you will get screen tearing. the intec one i bought afterwards i got for like 8 bucks and it's great. I think they are running out of stock on amazon though.

Anyways I'm gonna be softmodding it this weekend with my buddy and he has unleashx installed on his so i was gonna go with the same.

>can upgrade the ram and the hdd in the console
>that infinitely better performance compared to the dogshit ps2
>all that technology it could handle like conker (which still looks like an early 360 game, somehow able to run on a xbox), half life 2, chronicles of riddick, doom

what reason was there to have a ps2? shadow of the colossus?

Jetsetradio was a great xbox exclusive

jetsetradio.live

i use one of these paired with some monster cables, hows that?

PS2 game library is way better. Exclusives out the butthole.

Also upgrading the RAM doesn't do anything, Xbox games can't use it. It's only for emulators after you mod it. Not sure why you brought that up.

oh, i screen capped it's output using a roxio gamecap hd pro

so whatever ya think. (keep in mind steel battalion isn't one of the 480p games)

>The original IDEA was that it would be a PC in a box but it didn't turn out that way by the end.

It sort of turned out the reverse.

Nvidia took what they did for the xbox and released their own motherboard chipset, the nForce. From what I recall, barring the soundchip, it was largely unimpressive in the PC market and faded away.

Idort here. The sixth gen era was the last time that I felt I was truly missing out by not owning all three consoles plus a PC. The early 2000s were a fucking goldmine.

that's pretty nice. The Xbox compenent adapter is probable the best. since i think it supports digital audio out as well.

i dont't know if you go to the Microsoft dash and turn the all the hd settings on, then go to the main screen and hit the L trigger, R trigger and push in on the two thumb sticks it will put your xbox into forced HD mode. your dash should at least in in hd progressive scan.

supposedly it will make all your games run in HD mode. my trinitron doesnt tell me what resolution the games run at though so i'm not completely sure how it works.

supposedly it will upscale games. but i heard that the xbox doesnt do true 720p or 1080i anyways. neat little trick either way.

"HD" mode just meant 480p 99% of the time. The xbox could output up to 1080i but practically no software supported that.

according to this list, steel battalion supports 480p

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_with_alternate_display_modes

most games on the xbox support at least 480p it seems

that is surprising, the back of the steel battalion box doesn't have the 480p highlighted, i know line of contact does.

found a Pal version of it online. am i just reading it wrong?

>(RARE) STEEL BATTALION (EXCELLENT CONDITION) (MANUAL INCLUDED) (MUST SEE!)
>$195
>oh cool, what's the big deal here?
>really small print at the bottom
>*game only, controller not included

holy crap that is a ripoff, the game without the controller is like $15

controller is like 95% of the cost.

>PAL systems have the ED and HD modes removed from their dashboard; it is possible to use these modes by means of a modchip or softmod even with PAL region games.

i have a bunch of games that don't say "480p HD" on the back. Halo CE for example doesn't say it but definitely supports it. Same with mechassault.

i think putting HD 480p on the back of the boxes was done with later games in the OG xbox lifespan.

try turning forced HD mode on at the dashboard. it will most likely run it in progressive scan.

The fuck

no

The OG Xbox was godly

Also you could mod it and you had the BEST console in 2003-4 ever fucking made

The control was the fucking best design ever made

And the exclusives were fucking incredible back then

The 3shitty was the obvious step back into not fun allowed console, but it was forced for like 8 years and now people remember it as "nostalgic so kewl"

It didn't even had 4 USB ports to play 4 player games when it came out. A true piece of shit.

>it has the games no one wants to play so it's awesome

>this console is the reason Shenmue 3 sat in purgatory for a decade and a half

No I mean only you don't want to play them

Name them.

Yeah I'll do that to fuel your shitty arguments only to have you instantly reply "it's shit", I know your tricks goy. By the way the games you like are also shit.

>le goy meme in place of examples

You're not getting shit except shown the way out of this thread and possibly this board too

I never had an OG Xbox and didn't really want one at the time but looking back, I really wish I had one. It had a bunch of exclusives that I really want or wanted to play, like Ninja Gaiden (Black). Played that one for the first time a few years ago and fucking loved it. I really lament that I wasn't there for all the hype around its release and wasn't able to take part in all the DMC vs. NG vs. GoW debates back then.

Otherwise, OG Xbox had Halo, Otogi, Steel Battalion, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Shenmue 2, Jet Set Radio Future, Crimson Skies, and a bunch of other games that I always wanted to play. I was such a fanboy back then but I was comfy with my GCN and PS2.

>see nice xbox on online marketplace
>remember I dont have a TV

I still have my xbox but my cd drive is fucked, like it wont read games. How hard is it to find a replacement drive?

not very. just go on ebay

True. I've recently got a OG xbox and looking through and buying games dirt cheap (thank the lord for no nintendo rare games) it's a pretty neat console with a good library of games. I still hate Xboxlive and how it spread to Sony but I do wish I could've owned one and played the games during it's heyday like Otogi and Gun Valkyrie

might aswell get a new xbox. Or find a broken one someone sells for 2 bucks

Ill look into it. I still have jetset radio and strangers wrath, I've been having an itch to play some old xbox games