Is ZSNES really that bad or is it just a meme?

Is ZSNES really that bad or is it just a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q3SOYneC7mU
youtube.com/watch?v=Jq7_6R_cvgw
youtube.com/watch?v=jWZ7Q6U2x-c
youtube.com/watch?v=LbgXNx2q4ic
smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=5681
archive.org/details/psx_redump_usa_20141221
psx.silvanthalas.com/psx.html
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/History_of_emulation#SNES
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

a meme

I never had any problems with it

It's a meme. The only people who think zsnes is bad hate all games.

It's both, really.
There is truth in the statement that ZSNES is not an accurate emulator, but it's blown so ridiculously out of proportion that it's basically a meme.

It's not THAT bad, but it's still not accurate. What really matters to most people is that it works.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q3SOYneC7mU
youtube.com/watch?v=Jq7_6R_cvgw
youtube.com/watch?v=jWZ7Q6U2x-c
youtube.com/watch?v=LbgXNx2q4ic

The only ones who make it a meme are the people who are defensive of ZSNES. God knows why.

Only people who started to use computers since 2006 bash Znes. The same people who grew up with the worst poke gens, the Xbox360 and the DLC/Early access in vidya.

Those people shouldnt be allowed to have an opinion on how things should be.

It's just an old emulator made with concerns that are not really relevant anymore in mind, especially when it comes to snes emulation.
So no, not bad, just obsolete.

I was going to say that I had always seen it the other way around, but then I saw this post: So I guess both sides can be to blame.

It's accurate with the most popular games, but if you're going to play some random shit just go with higan

ZSNES works but there are better emulators

I'll never understand people having fucking diehard loyalty to a free program of all things.

Zsnes was great for its time but assuming you have a PC built in the last 10 years, you should really at least use snes9x if not one of the various bsnes options

The thing is there's basically no reason to use it over SNES9X, BSNES, or through RetroArchs front end that has different emulators and cool stuff.

Sure it works but why would you purposely choose an unsupported emulator that has far better options in recent years? It's like someone choosing Windows Vista over Windows 7.

As far as I know, some people just really love the interface.
Like, to the point that one dude tore out the emulation core of ZSNES, and put in libretro support, so that you could basically use any libretro emulator you want but with ZSNES's interface.

Apparently ZSNES actually IS still being worked on.
But who knows when the team is going to make a release.

"Poorly..."
>heheh
"coded..."
>Ahahahahah
"emulator."
>WHOAHAHAHAHA

"ZSNESINGA!"

Is netplay still disabled? How about a emulator that doesn't have shitload of desync problems, now there's a market

>It's like someone choosing Windows 7 over Windows 10.

oh wait

Meme

Underages could not figure out how to configure it so they hate it.

It's actually a lot more stable than snes9x or whatever cycle accurate meme emulators that have popped up.

That's kind of neat if true. With all the time they have been potentially working on it the thing could easily make a comeback.

I wish RetroArch would get a ZSNES style front end.

Early Zsnes versions with netplay are actually worth using for that considering the alternatives are even worse.

Actually it's more like Vista and 7. They are virtually the same but there still is better optimization and overall updates to 7.

Nothing you just said was true at all.

To be fair to ZSnes, outside of the killer soundtrack, who cares about SNES Timecop?

It's the same with 7 and 10.

It was designed for much older hardware and the idea of getting most popular games running on it. You couldn't do true emulation on 1997 hardware, the year of the initial release.

These days other emulators are more accurate and work with games ZSNES never got around to making fixes for. There's no real reason to use it today, but it's not the end of the world if you do. Just don't be surprised if some games have trouble.

It did cause some drama in the romhacking scene however. Because one of the hacky fixes ZSNES used for Super Mario World, some ROM hacks would only run on it, and not on other emulators or actual SNES hardware.

Nah, it's just one guy lying, trying to get attention. He's said he's going to release a new version like 20 times in the past few years, but never has and never will.

If you don't have autism, you can use ZSNES, but when it comes to people like me, you will lose sleep knowing it takes horrible shortcuts in its emulation and sometimes breaks less popular games.

Naturally, your every day normie isn't going to sweat over lost progression in a video game because he can just stop playing.

How do you say it anyway?

Zee-Sness?

Zee-Es-En-Ee-Es?

ZNESS?

ZSNESS?

>I wish RetroArch would get a ZSNES style front end.
The next best thing: smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=5681
Apparently it also works with non-snes cores, as well.

people who complain about ZSNES are just to dumb for emulation and shouldn't be allowed to emulate games

fact

Snes9x and bnes have garbage resolution support. Any time I try to run either fullscreen windowed on a second monitor, they shit themselves.

Just use Higan already?

zed es en e es

zeta sigma nu epsilon sigma

>Higan

Use RetroArch then. Also, fullscreen windowed adds another frame of input lag over exclusive fullscreen mode.

That doesn't really fit what I was trying to convey. When you're in the actual game its virtually the same exact experience. There's just better optimization on the newer ones.

Windows 10 looks and feels a lot different than that comparison. I'm not taking into consideration the emulator UI. Im using the comparison for actually playing the games on them and how both are almost exact and they both work fine but why not get the technically better one that works minimally better at what it's trying to achieve.

Try ZMZ.

It has the interface of ZSNES but allows you to use Snes9X and bsnes libraries.

What's wrong with Higan?

zed es nes

>I want to play a snes game

shits fine yo

>I want more accurrate emulation/to play SMT or one of the other 10some games that don't work on zsnes

use something else, don't call the emulator shit when it runs the other 500 games fine

i've been using zsnes since like 1998 and the only problem i ever had with it was back when it couldn't show transparent layers

I haven't found a reason to use ZSNES for anything other than ROMHacks that won't work on other emulators.
SMW Hacks especially.

I never even heard of timecop until it started getting used as a reason not to use zsnes.

Wanna know the real reason timecop runs badly in zsnes?
Because it's a shitty game they knew no one would give a damn about playing.

ZΣNEΣ

These threads in a nutshell:
>People who say zsnes is an outdated, bad emulator provide hard evidence, including videos and documentation as to why that is, and multiple good alternatives
>People who disagree just spout "autism" and fly into a rage because someone dared insult their favorite nostalgic emulator

Face it, the only reason to use ZSNES over snes9x/higan is for the nostalgia factor, or if you're trying to emulate snes games on a computer that shipped with a windows 98 sticker.

1. It flips frames correctly, and doesn't create much input delay

2. The flaws in emulation that means it doesn't slow down correctly, also means it misses less frame syncs

3. A lot of the things, like the control panel for binding, or the default speed for fast forward is well thought out

4. Specialized good upscaling filter didn't really exist until post 2010s. Zsnes predate that, by quite a few years, but it upscales properly unlike a lot of later emulators.

ZMZ has things like the controller mapping.
It lacks a lot of things however, such as the way the fast forward work, how sound is interpolated, or the lag reduction.
It also creates more input delay.

ZSNES is fine if you want to play one of the more popular SNES games and/or are not terribly concerned with emulation accuracy.

If you want to play something more obscure, or accuracy is important to you, there are much better options out there.

The question is why you would bother using ZSNES when the more accurate options are no longer prohibitively hardware-intensive?

I just use zsnes because I remember it from like 16 years ago.

Do you use Windows ME too?

1. Snes9x has terrible GUI
2. BSNES has a terrible GUI on all levels
3. Something like Libretro is good, but they failed at all parts of good UI design(i.e how it crashes on failed load, for like all the versions)

The only legit reason to use ZSNES is to run romhacks that exploit the emulator's inaccuracies. The other emulators are too accurate to run them properly.

It's definitely a meme. Just look at this thread. People are willing to slit your throat for even insinuating that it's outdated.

They just hate the UI because it looks old. It's perfectly functional.

Tastes may vary of course, but I don't consider the GUI to be very important when none of them make it more than trivial to configure your controls and load a game.

But given that the job of an emulator is to emulate games, failures at that task are of more concern to me.

I've used Zsnes since the early 2000's, originally because of my shitty PC, and now I've grown used to it.
I tried other emulators, yet I never figured out why people hated zsnes.
It's pretty good.

If you prefer the ZSNES GUI, why not use ZMZ?

ZSNES was awesome for years because it ran everything on a toaster, but it mad lots of sacrifices to do so and there are better alternatives now. pic related, though its audio in particular where ZSNES falters. I really don't know why people defend it and epsxe to death.

Higan/bsnes is the greatest, but byuu is an egomaniac and keeps making these terrible regressions and proprietary nonsense every update.

>I've used windows ME since the early 2000's, originally because of my shitty PC, and now i've grown used to it. I've never figured out why people hated it.

This is why. If it still works for you, great. ZSNES evangelists seem to feel the need to inject their "wurks on my machine lol" into every serious conversation about emulation.

I don't agree.
The problem with a BAD GUI is that you have to interact with it every time you want to check for hotkeys, load a game.
Or if settings is bad, like the fast forward defaults, or skip draw, they will plague you whenever used. Which can happen a lot of, if you start playing RPGs or games with too long cutscenes.

ZMZ has the problem where its reskinned SNES9X, and if you want to do things like upscaling, fast forward, you start seeing the illusion shatter.
Nevermind it brings alongside most of the horrible input delay of default SNES9X, with weird vsync defaults.

Its usable but there is honestly little reason to use it over Snes9x

It's pretty good if you're oblivious to what how the games ran on a SNES or if you're still using a Pentium II processor in 2016

>tfw I just say Z-N-E-S

Meh.

>good upscaling filter
No such thing.

Depends.

For some, zsnes is great because it runs in anything. For others, it's bad because it sacrifices accuracy for speed.

I like zsnes because it's comfy.

You misunderstood me.
I used to have a shitty computer back then, and Zsnes was the only one to run smoothly.
Now that I have a new, modern computer, I tried other emulators, but there was basically nothing they did that Zsnes couldn't - so I stuck with what I was familiar with.

My point is, if you just want to play snes games, it does the job perfectly fine.

It really is that bad. snes9x works on toasters and doesn't have tremendous glaring glitches so I don't understand why people still use or defend ZSNES.

>it does the job perfectly fine
But it doesn't.

>but there was basically nothing they did that Zsnes couldn't
Not true in any sense. In addition to emulating everything with poor accuracy, it actually has worse overall compatibility than both snes9x and higan/bsnes at this point.

whoa
that is.. really kinda neat

Not at all. Windows 10 is much more different than Windows 7, jackass.

More than that. NES, GBA, DS, etc.

He just want's to make the best emulator possible user ;^)

It's not a reskinned SNES9X, it just uses a SNES9X core by default.
And by the way, it's easy to fix the upscaling "problem"

I unironically want byuu OS to be a thing.

This. It works well enough and there's no reason for me to use a different one.

i couldnt even get it to launch a rom. It would just sit at a black screen. No problems with Snes9x

here.
no edge, just canadian.

u mad

>reskinned SNES9X
>he doesn't know how cores work

They're Canadian user.

>And by the way, it's easy to fix the upscaling "problem"
Gui fiddling for shit is rarely worth the time, when it fails to do what its suppose to do, by default

Meme, the code for several "modern" emulators is copied from the origial Zsnes code, just adapted to better suite modern architecture. Zsnes does not come preconfigured like others do, but it does have a very simple menu system so its not hard to work with. Still has the most reliable controller support.

Most emulators share code, if you look under the hood you can see the old code comments from back in 2004. Just keep that in mind when you rush out to get the "latest bestest emulator".

>Meme, the code for several "modern" emulators is copied from the origial Zsnes code, just adapted to better suite modern architecture
>Most emulators share code, if you look under the hood you can see the old code comments from back in 2004
Not even close to true when it comes to ZSNES. Nobody uses any of its codebase aside from ZMZ's UI code.

None of what you said invalidates claims that ZSNES is a dated emulator.

Do either of those have good netplay? I use ZSnes/Znet to play games online.

And then the thread died.
But who won? ZSNES Supporters or ZSNES Haters?

The answer will forever be lost to time...

I remember ZSNES having problems with Super Mario RPG after collecting the Axem Rangers' star. The game would always lock up upon optaining it. I had to finish it in SNES9x.

SNES9K does, if you use an updated version of the kaillera client so you can connect p2p. I do that with a friend of mine and it works well, but we live closeish so I dont know about higher latency

why did you link videos that are just downrgith belligerent and unintelligible? zsnes is a good program. worth its weight in gol

programs don't weigh anything

>keeps making these terrible regressions
True, gotta love how he arbitrarily removes features just to replace them with something else two versions later.

I can't believe it's been 3 years and people still post that ZSNES IS KING video I made.

>byuu is an egomaniac

this, bsnes is unusable due to this fag. I don't know if it's still this way, but at one point he stopped supporting smc files (the SNES filetype every rom site on the internet hosted) and insisted everyone in the world batch convert their hundreds of smc files to sfc for his special snowflake "purist" emulator.

The best part is that you didn't even use a recent (lol) version of ZSNES, so people get an even worse impression about it.

I must have slept through that, higan right now will open any normal archive from emuparadise or anywhere else.

But not just like that, oh no. You now have to do it through his special custom library launcher that will copy roms to some remote appdata directory before you can use them :)

He goes out of his way to do dumb shit like that, and other such things in the name of accuracy...

And then goes and creates a new sound chip that only emulated by his emulator and doesn't work on the actual hardware.
And for some reason people are eating that shit up. Romhacking.net is flooded with "MSU-1" hacks for damn near every fucking game. It's ridiculous, and they all sound terrible.

Yeah, I didn't even realize that until someone pointed it out a year later. I guess it adds to the overall shittiness feel of the video.

Why would you use Zsnes when it's so outdated? Just use SNES9x. It doesn't have high hardware requirements.
I'd use higan but the stupid shit actually has ridiculously high hardware requirements and pulls a considerable load to my crappy laptop.

Because people don't care, user.
All that matters to them is that it currently works.
If it stopped working, THEN they'd probably go out and look for another emulation solution.

Actually, the MSU-1 games do work on real hardware as long as you have a compatible flash cart.

In fact, I bet doing just that is actually easier than getting them to work on his own clusterfuck of an emulator.

Because Znes works

It works.

The other emulators, by and large, don't. They're not stable. They're not reliable. They're not cross platform. They don't run on all hardware.

ZSNES is good enough and has been since 1999. I want accuracy, I'll get a SNES on ebay.

>The other emulators, by and large, don't
But they do. Pretty much all of the available SNES emulators fall right into the "just werks" category.

The interface that's about 15 years old now is 200x more user friendly than what the autists working on retro arch have made. How hard is it to have auto detection or specific builds for certain systems? Retro arch is a great idea but they failed on making it brain dead simple to start playing games

Except that's not true at all.

Its okay but there's literally no good reason not to use something else. There are better emulators.

>But they do.
SNES9X and Hiigan both drop frames, miss vsync, and a bunch of other stuff that screams every time it happens.
Even on Libretro they have large problems with syncronizing the frame output properly

Well, I assume that's why ZMZ was made.

ZNES, the first emulator fully powered by nostalgia.
Not even core reliant!

>How hard is it to have auto detection or specific builds for certain systems?
It's hard.
>Retro arch is a great idea but they failed on making it brain dead simple to start playing games
Maybe that wasn't their goal. Maybe they don't care all that much about the input of people who don't actually contribute anything to their project and mostly just shit up the bug tracker. Maybe not everything is a product and maybe something being available for download doesn't mean it's there for you.

I haven't tried ZMZ, but seriously why is retroarch such shit when it comes to making it easy to play roms? 45 different cores to fuck with, no auto detection, takes forever to implement a filter. It's the worst.

>Try Retroarch a few times
>It doesn't automatically download the right core
>Doesn't remember your choice IF it worked
>Nightmare to navigate down to the ROMS
>It took them 3 versions to add a good way to add rom folders
>Emulator cores may or may not supported zipped files, no standard, and no error message, crashes if it doesn't
>Remade GUI for no reason, and moved hotkeys around for no reason
>Lots of horrible defaults
>GBA cores don't sync audio by default, meaning massive audible stuttering
>Only good feature is video sync and default CRT filters

>remember playing chrono trigger on zsnes and the clouds obscured the screen in 2300 AD.
>then i remember playing ocarina of time until water temple and i couldnt shoot the switch with the keyboard.

ahh le memories :)

>Devs spending hours and years of their life making a program.
>They don't care if people use it or not.
What? Wake up.

>Make program
>Fuck up on how the program works
>Don't want to admit it
>Older applications did it better, allowing valid comparison
wow, real mature 12 year old

Seriously. It's basically the homer of emulators. Everything including the kitchen sink including the garbage still stuck in the disposal.

No, it's true. Only "works on my machine :^)" faggots who never emulate for more than 10 minutes and only the most popular games claim it's anything except trash. .

>yfw ZMZ lets you play NES games
>basically becomes ZNES
also works with GBA cores. so.. ZGBA.

>Fuck this program that lets me play thousands of games for free.

And the syncing is even worse than in ZSNES.

It's horrifically inaccurate, but it's the only SNES emulator where netplay works for me.

>fuck using a better alternative which lets me do the same thing without shitting the bed

This so much.

That said I prefer dealing with Retroarch than having half a dozen different emulators lying around. Learning to use it is a pain in the ass but it's pretty convenient once you get used to it.

Snes9x sucks if you want to play some epic Zelda with hq4x full screen without 300ms of lag

wtf is syncing
shut up nerd

This so fucking much
>Audio lags every single sync
>That fucking input delay of 3-5 frames
>Use filter, and see that it scales all the pixels wrong

obligatory

People like Retroarch because it's all in one package. If you really want that and cut out individual frontends just get something like LaunchBox that lets you easily access all games directly through respective emulators.

>youtube.com/watch?v=Q3SOYneC7mU
You know shit like that is possible on an actual console, right?
I mean, they had a copy of Pokemon take over a Super GameBoy and then the entire SNES to display a twitch chat during one of the GDQs.

Van Gogh would be proud as fuck.
The only issue is that it doesn't look as great in movement as it should

The guy who maintains RA feeds on tears of casual windows faggots who can't into convoluted interfaces.

That's from the nes though. Lower res and low detailed sprites make it look all weird but on the Snes (like super punch out) it looks pretty damn good.

WOGNET MON is my favorite

>SOOOK NON
>SNOKE NON
>NEEDLE NON
>NOOO NON
>VOD NON
>GENIN NON
>NOGNET NON
>SNOOOU NON

I don't understand why it has such a dedicated fanbase. I mean nobody would furiously defend bleem over any other PS1 emulator.

Mother of god

>Spook non
>Snoke non
>Needle wow
>wood wom
>Voo NoN
>Gnini non
>Hogney NON
>Shooou non

I don't really care about the "one package" thing. I could use any launcher to do the same thing. The main appeal for me its beautifully smooth AV sync.

My experience with retroarch was that it refused to save my core-specific input settings and kept reversing jump and shoot buttons on NES. Also that I had it on two systems, one of which launched mednafen core no problem and the other just made it crash with identical config and bios files.

It was great for a long time but honestly there's better emulators out now that are easier to use and apparently are better at running games (but I have never run into a problem with ZNES).

Mainly though ZNES controller supports a bit behind and it's easier to set up a controller for

ah fuck this thread

I used to use ZSNES a long long time ago to load mario rpg after i ost my floppy disk with mario rpg on it

its not as bad as people say. its just a little more clunky.

I dont use it anymore though because launchbox seems to have issues launching games with it

Nostalgia.

Most of these people weren't even capable of using a computer when Bleem was a thing.

>convoluted
Current RA default looks like a PS3 interface, but orange. It's in no way convoluted, just terribly inefficient.

Image if:
1. Bleem supported DOS raw flip, meaning no input delay
2. Doesn't slow down, meaning it doens't need to use a hack to sync the audio
3. Default way to filter scales with filtering
4. Good game support

This is Cred Forums, you should've learned by now that people will cling to the most arbitrary shit as though it actually matters.

People love the post-volcanic eruption GUI aesthetic.

Funny, because you literally can't finish Mario RPG on ZSNES.

I don't care, I just use a different emulator that isn't all fucked up. If he wants to waste his life that his decision. He isn't getting paid shit ;^)

??? i did and even grinded out that star egg thing for culex.

Funny, because I have.

Not that guy, but I definitely remember beating Super Mario RPG on ZSNES way back when. I dunno if I had to use some workaround or something for whatever problem there was but I definitely beat Smithy.

I stopped using ZSNES ages ago though

I used to play games on ZSNES in like 2001 and it still had that interface.

It was pretty good for 2001.

An emulator is an emulator unless its obviously a shit one

>Project 64
>Dolphin
>Zsnes
>VBA

If it aint those names then dont use that emulator

Earlier versions don't crash.
Some of the anno 2002+ versions do, because it wanted to "fix a bug"

>be me
>be kid
>use ZSNES
>try some nice underground games like ASP
>not working
>get Snes9X
>shit works flawlessly

>project 64

It's bad for ROM hacking because it ends up with hacks that are only playable through ZSNES.

Project 64 is in the pit where there is a bunch of games that breaks on it, but at the same time: The more accurate emulators is in the pit of eternally don't really exist, or eternally lacks the same features

>be you
>games run like ass compared to silky smooth zones
>have to deal with shit scaling and no good smoothing filters
But hey, at least a graphical glitch doesn't pop up for 1 second out of 100 hrs, huh?

Snes9x gave me 0 problems and i am currently finishing super metroid in it.

When i said "not working" on Zsnes i meant black screen.

I hope ParaLLEl becomes as accurate as possible. Yet at the same time I hope it'll become standalone instead of a part of Retroarch

I'm also waiting for when it can emulate this bad boy to play Expansion Kit

Most likely you will get a standalone, but with so many bugs in syncing that its shit.

>bleem
Goddamn, are we unearthing old stuff?

Genecyst bloody master race.

Zooper Ness

So, what's the best PS1 emulator then?

Nesticle, baby!

>That fucking icon
>i thought it was a bag

Holy fuck how did they got away with that?

Mednafen is accurate but has compatibility issues with obscure stuff.
ePSXe is tweakable but inaccurate
PCSXR is more tweakable but inaccurate and shit on windows
pSX is fast but even more inaccuraterer

The answer is they're all shit.

Didn't read the entire thread, but here's my two cents.
ZSNES was made back in the 90s by a few framecounting junkies, because computers were relatively weak. The upside to this was really low latency, but on the downside it was pretty inaccurate.
Newer emulators like SNES9X have higher accuracy, sure, but at the cost of input delays. They're not noticable for most people, and you can get used to the different timing, but there is straight up more input lag.

tl;dr: both have their place, depending on what you want from your emulator.

This is why I use ZSNES for netplay, it seems to be the only emulator I can use that doesn't lag while doing netplay in the slightest

>input delays
hehehahaHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

pSX(or pSXFIN)

is the plugin-less emulator AND the best one.

Had to stop using it because it caused some kind of weird issue with CV SOTN and i dont know if it was the emulator itself.

Its one of the very few emulators that gave me no slowdown nor any inaccuracy.

Then again, i dont have a giantic library of PS1 games.

There is, and there isn't.
Mednafen is a piece of shit with no format support, but at the least its integrated into Libretro.
ePSXe is a piece of shit, but it has format support(75% chance the ROM is a .iso), and it has petes 3D plugin
pSX 1.13 is good.

Welcome to
THE 90S

ZSNES predates Direct X Vsync, OpenGL Vsync standard, and runs in raw x86.
There is no real input delay on it.

Later emulators will be like "lol, lets just use Direct X" and forget that Direct X is a piece of shit when it comes to defaults

>Nu
Shut up.

A cfw'd PSP.

>mfw ok-ish 2500k i5 CPU
>shitty AMD GPU
>DDR 16 gb of RAM
>almost every fucking game runs either with near perfect emulation or a few framedrops
>MGS3 runs almost exactly like it did on PS2
>Ace Combat saga has no issues
>some racing games aint doing so well
>emulator is still in active dev
>cant wait until i can actually play 24: the game
>ZOE has no emulation issues
>people still get mad because they can play games of their childhood for free but not perfectly

I use it because of the full directx xbox 360 controller input,higher resolution,online play and because it looks good

Nigger

>Install MSI Afterburner
>Disable frame limiting & vsync in PCSX2
>Enable vsync in driver control panel (Radeon Setting, Nvidia Inspector)
>Use MSI Afterburners FPS tool to set FPS
>Suddenly no stutter
>Suddenly Audio syncs properly

Judging by the ammount of posts with no valid points or observations on any opinion i assume its a meme.

Cred Forumstards learn to have an opinion. "Its not an accurate emulator" isn't an opinion. You have to explain whats wrong with it.

Since you download it , open a rom and BOOM you're playing your rom , i guess its a good emulator.

Thanks for reading so much into the thread user. You are what's great with reddit!

This.

>Emulator made by a insane egomaniac
>Lots of shitty choices everywhere
>Doesn't support the standard formats until he budges
>Sync correct internally, but doesn't vsync correctly
>Very shit GUI

runs poorly on my surface pro 3

Can you post what the gameplay looks like with the filter?

i'm still not going to upgrade 10-tan

>getting into Linux in high school
>"woah, look at all these cool programs in the repository!"
>download some emulators including ZSNES, grab some ROM's while I'm at it
>try Earthbound, sound is crackly and messed up
>also hacked my Wii along similar grounds, try it there with the classic controller and SNES9xGX
>it works perfectly except for losing my initial save because I didn't set it up quite right
>figure I just have a shit computer or Linux has sound issues

Later I realized ZSNES consistently has sound issues, among other problems. Interface is comfy AF, though.

I don't know if that's shit or impressive, it actually looks like an abstract painting.

Adobe
Live
Trace

Can we agree that VBA is the best emulator ever created?

>Need to set speed to 106-112% to avoid audio failing sync or slowdown
No, its not a great emulator.
Its a okay emulator.

Never had that issue

Then you have never played on a Gameboy or any kind, or a DS playing Gameboy games.

>tfw no hand drawn filter setting

I never had a real problem with it when I used it but Snes9x is still better.

I say "Zee-Sness" because I'm a pleb. I should really get accustomed to saying "Zee-Ess-En-Ee-Es".

I think PPSSPP is pretty high up there.

My Radeon disagrees.

Even some pretty well-known games break to shit, like EWJ2 or SMRPG

Agree.

As a kid who bought an NDS and decided that i regretted this choice, i kept trying to find PSP emulators only to keep seeing "not gonna happen".

I think i barely saw a prototype of a java-running one being made somewhere but progress was way too slow.

Then comes PPSSPP, which magically after like a few months after being announced gets insane compatibility and accuracy with emulations.

Not only it has a great interface but it had lighting speed development and i could complete peace walker and get into a big part of portable ops thanks to it.

>can never play Patapon due to input lag

It is.
Just a fucking shame they do the default OpenGL Double Vsync, meaning the input delay and frame stutter is massive without using tools to limit it.
But its fucking amazing.

It was made moot by mGBA awhile ago. The GBA core of Higan surpassed VBA too.

the only problem with zsnes is that it's considered entry level or normie tier. crtfags just get rumproasted for no reason. it's casual emulation.

The best part about the PPSSPP port to Libretro, that lasted 0.9 to like 0.96 was the fact there was severely less input delay, and you could play the 30fps games without massive frame stutter.
Its amazing the default port is in such shambles, because PPSSP is one of the best emulators out there

I didn't have any issues with that discontinued snes9x+kaillera branch

How are emulators inaccurate exactly? I don't do much emulation but I did a while back to play some classics like Super Metroid and Syphon Filter.

Everyone I grew up with called it that, along with SNES being sness. At the same time though we pronounced NES by the letter.

it's that bad

See

>graphical glitches
>sound desync
>symptoms alike corruption in videogames
>control lag
>sound cracks
>likely to corrupt a savefile
>more likely to take a lot more time to load and to crash randomly
>some of them wont even load past the intro or main menu and will get stuck or crash the emulator

That's worst case scenario. The good ones just play the game almost fine to perfectly.

No, you're just downloading garbage. Stick to BIN/CUE. pSX is the worst.

>Stick to BIN/CUE
1. Download iso
2. Try to convert
3. Google it and find the secret .cue sheet club
4. Pray you do it right
5. Pray the emulator loads it right
6. Hope its not one of those games where the default .cue sheet is valid

Getting triggered by the .smc extension is fucking retarded, but some of the format changes he pushed made things better, like rejecting headers and interleaved roms. I would never go back to the days where you needed to download the same game from multiple sites to test which one is compatible with a hack or translation.

Why are you downloading PS1 isos? You should be using the noIntro set from archive.org which is all cue/bin.

Because archive.org is a gigantic secret club.

its not bad but i like to use snes9x

i dont like znes gui

Sorry, meant re dump, not noIntro

archive.org/details/psx_redump_usa_20141221

>secret club
It takes all of 60 seconds to make a free account, what are you on about? It's an online library.

It's horrible. I used to be a ZSNES fag but Snes9x is much, much better

mednafen.
>but has compatibility issues with obscure stuff.
There's like 10 (out of >2000) games that have any issues at all on mednafen.
>pSX(or pSXFIN)
Very inaccurate and has issues with many games.
psx.silvanthalas.com/psx.html
>with no format support
Supports .bin/.img/.iso/.mdf images as long as you have a metadata file pointing at it. And the libretro port supports .pbp (even encrypted ones).

>ZSNES
>MAME
>NO$GBC (before GBA became a thing)
>VBA-Link
>Project 64
>ePSXe
>PCSX2
>DesMuMe
>Dolphin

Literally god tiers of emulation
Come at me.

See? Now you have invited me into this secret club.

For games with 3D graphics pscxr-pgxp

They all look like shit?
Whats the point of that image?

What the fuck "accuracy" even means
If you can play the game to the end without bugs or crashes, it's good enough for me.

Congrats, the only things you were correct were Dolphin and MAME, and thats only because they're the only emus worth a shit in their respective areas.

Project 64 fits that too. Its shit, but it just werks

Mednafen+MEDGUI for anything 2D

PCSXR-PGXP for anything 3D

>ZSNES predates Direct X Vsync, OpenGL Vsync standard
And uses DirectDraw, which your OS has to emulate nowadays.
>and runs in raw x86.
That means absolutely nothing when talking about input lag.

Project64 got into a lot of shit because apparently it had viruses in its official downloads.

PCSX2 its also god tier.

Dolphin its ok. Its not that good, but there aren't any other wii/gamecube emulators.

Mame is serious god-tier. You would think that making an universal arcade emulating machine would be easy, but no. Each arcade has its own hardware to emulate so mame its a fucking insane thing to exist.

Eh, it has the RA mupen64 core to compete with. That being said, N64 Dreamcast and PS2 form the unholy trinity of 'meh' emulation. Pretty much everything is playable now, but almost every game is going to have some sort of caveat and lots of hacky bullshit is usually required to attain playable speeds.

>Project64 got into a lot of shit because apparently it had viruses in its official downloads.
>PCSX2 its also god tier.
PCSX2 also did that for a while.

Is there a argument somewhere in there?
Or is it just fact banter?

Some people care if the sound and graphics are correct.

In the worst cases, inaccuracies can make certain games unbeatable, because they relied on certain quirks of the real hardware that an inaccurate emulator does not reproduce.

Granted, those games are usually games that nobody cares about. But if you're the one person that does give a shit about that obscure-ass game, accuracy means a lot to you.

yea the project 64 people bundled a malicious software with the installer

>tfw still no Marvel vs Capcom 2 on MAME

>Is there a argument somewhere in there?
Yeah: you're and idiot.

I hope one day Yabause will actually become decent.
Emulating Saturn is a pain in the ass with having to use actual virtual drives like I'm in 2004 or something.

Not really.

An arcade board does one and exactly one thing. You only have to worry about one data set except for certain special cases like Capcom's generic CPS hardware or the Neo-Geo. By comparison, console hardware has to deal with a lot of different potential input, much of which has weird, arcane exploitation of hardware quirks necessary to work correctly.

What part of it is a argument?
We are comparing a Api thats so shit, with so many horrible defaults, that it can't do tripple buffering without driver side hacks.
And we are comparing it with a API that only controls rendering to screen.

Dude, mednafen added Saturn support recently. Still WIP, but already as good as or better than Yabause.

Well, it doesn't help that the Saturn was a horrible misshapen monster, internally.

Honestly, just buy a Saturn, buy a codebreaker to get around copy protection and get your RAM expansion pack in the same device, and burn discs.

Was this the first SNES emulator?

If yku didnt know, Mednafen creator Ryphecha is making a Saturn core herself and it's progressing nicely.

>her

You're comparing an API that's so old that it has to be emulated and ran through a Api thats so shit, with so many horrible defaults, that it can't do tripple buffering without driver side hacks.

I tried to run Mednafen once but it didn't even have proper interface. How does that shit work?

Thank God, I'm just using SSF for the time being because Leynos 2 and Dragon Force work on it.

No, even Snes9x came before it.
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/History_of_emulation#SNES

Why do triple buffering matter, if the application simply doesn't miss the frame buffer, so it always sync on frame?

It uses command line. Don't ask man, just seek out a GUI to install with it. MedGUI is pretty good.

Holy shit. Emulating SNES back in the day must have felt amazing! Although the emulator must have been beta-PCSX2-tier.

I would use ZSNES for DOS on my pentium 166MMX, and it could handle most games very nicely.

And then at 20XX comes a fucking hipster emulator with the name of BSNES claming
>muh true cycles!!!!
and of course it needs
A FUCKING DUAL CORE AT 2.8 MIN TO PLAY

Yeah, fuck that,

ZSNES is the best, I know it was full of game specific hacks, but who cares? all the popular games run fine. so fuck you.

Did they design it like that for some specific reason?

Commandline isn't so fucking bad, until you remember you can't use ./ and just hit tab and add more / until you get the correct file.
really bad

>settling for "fine"
Spotted the beta

I've been posting on /emugen/ for over a year and I've never gotten a clear answer why.

I'll always fondly remember that indigo, grey and orange interface.

It reminds me of Best Gamecube.

>it just werks!

What're you guys emulating?

Back in 1998, it was ZSNES on nothing.
Now, I use snes9x, it runs everything and it's fast.

also BSNES is SHIT because it can't even load roms properly
I need to import them into an autistic way of folder structures.

>not buying snes dev boards and loading them up with multiple games

I made my own Secret of Mana 1 (re-translated) and Secret of Mana 2 (translated) cart. Painted it black and printed a custom label.

it used to actually be bad but now thats just an old meme

>Zsnes only has that blurry ass shit Direct3D
>Snes9x has the crispy goodness of DirectDraw

>now
Are you implying anything changed?

What's the best PS2 emu then? I've been using PCSX2 but I might switch to something else because the newest version (1.4) keeps freezing on me.

there's only 1 ps2 emulator

Oh i missed that. PCSX2 is the only legitimate (barely) option. Play! is up and coming, but not compatable with much yet.

PCSX2 is the only choice.

It doesn't freeze on me. Maybe its just a setting issue or a game issue?

>and the DLC in vidya

so 80's and 90's kids?

>TFW teens shit on DLC thinking they're clever when DLC existed since late 80s.

Wow gratz idiot. You could have bought an everdrive with that money. Hope you also RGB modded your SNES because if not it looks fucking better emulated.

Did you re-translate Secret of Mana 1 yourself?

The board to do this costs $15, numbnuts. It was like a $30 project.

Do you guys think we'll ever have decent Xbox emulation?

>2 other emulators exist that are better
>nah fuck that I'm gonna continue using something that's worse because I'm used to the interface aka something you see for like 5 seconds

>snes
>buying an everdrive

Just how stupid are you?

no
1, no interest because not that many exclusive games
2. too easy and cheap to just buy one and hack it

SD2SNES
If you're going to use real hardware it's a good investment than making individual cartridges. It also runs MSU-1 crap but I don't think that's any good.

>ZSNES

At this point... probably not. I can't relive having a modded xbox with XBMC during that era anyway. It was fucking amazing.

I don't buy "no interest" as an explanation. There's a fucking CDi emulator that's better than anything Xbox related.

oh yeah also goes without saying but there's zero fucking documentation on the thing so it's a shitload of effort

Because theres zero documentation for the thing

that's a very valid point but I'd be willing to bet that it was relatively easy to do

>Spending $200+ is a good alternative to making individual cartridges

No, it isn't. They both serve different purposes. If I had made 200+ repro cartridges then, sure. Putting both Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3 on a single cart and creating a label is different than downloading a fullset and dropping it onto a cart.

>no interest because not that many exclusive games
that didn't stop people to emulate the WiiU

I miss those weird UIs

minimal effort because it's powerpc so the documentation is all there

There are more exclusives for the WiiU than the Xbox

>SD3
>Lise main

mein negger

Lol snes9x sucked ass when it comes to filters, zSNES was faster and looked better.

>Project64 got into a lot of shit because apparently it had viruses in its official downloads.
What happened was a few developers left. Then recent updates had software that you weren't asked to install, making it malware. There's a another version from a dev that left, that's patched from the original p64.

>Dolphin its ok.
Specs? I have no problems with it, but I did on another potato.

Nativefags jelly as fuck.

I don't know. I tried playing Persona 4 and Onimusha on 1.4 and screwing with the settings but I couldn't make them work. Persona 4 froze whenever I entered a battle and Onimusha froze during the first cutscene after you get to control the character. It's especially annoying because the program hangs so hard I have to restart my computer to close it (task manager doesn't work on it).
They worked fine when I used 1.0 though. I was hoping a new version would mean I didn't have to mess with settings as much to make games work, but instead 1.4 just doesn't work for me.
That's a shame. I guess I'll try out PCSX2 1.3 or something, or I'll just have to have to stick with 1.0.

Go ahead and try to prove him wrong. You can't

whats best version of zsnes or snes9x for netplay? Been while since i actually did netplay.

Who the hell cares about proving wrong some no-name fagwad on Twitter?

Terrible fucking sound emulation. Glitches on any game that isn't super metroid or super mario world. Engine itself is one of the most laughable inaccurate emulators in existence, only reason popular games run is game-specific hacks.

There's a reason the GUI looks like it's from the 90s, the emulator is literally from the 90s.

If it were like PCSX2 where there was no better alternative it wouldn't make any sense to shit on it, except in Zsnes's case literally any alternative is better. Use Bsnes or Snes9x if you're gay for filters.

Just like when it came out.

rockcock64 is my hero

mednafen has higher accuracy and better compatibility than Sony's proprietary emulator

i5 2500k and AMD 6950.

Its not so much the emulation speed as much as it seems to be compatibility.

Fucking love zsnes. I used to play this when I was 9 years old, back in 2000, on my laptop with these specs:

>Intel Pentium III 550MHz CPU
>32MB RAM (later upgraded to 128MB)
>12GB HDD
>56k modem PCI card

It's bad these days, it used to be good though.

Trying to emulate SSX Tricky but my computer is trash.

>Cred Forums is zsnes defense force
>it's objectively the worst
>but muh comfy ui
>it just werks

but think about the Online Multiplayer, user!
surely that's more important than actually functioning, isn't it?

I like it because back then I could have sanic fast speed for comfy grinding in RPGs, even on a Pentium II toaster

I also played with NO$GBC/GBA a lot.

>Is ZSNES really that bad
Yes.
It's been redundant ever since other emulators fixed the audio and that was over a decade ago.

>Its a someone tries and tell me mgba is so much better than VBA-M episode
I get it, muh accuracy.
But if I wanted to play NES games, I would play them on a fucking NES emulator.

the UI really turns me off. I'm more used to things like fusion

>I get it, muh accuracy.
Also speed. mGBA is faster than VBA-M.

I've been using zsnes since I was 12 and I recently to SNES9X.
The gui bland ya but atleast the emulator isn't locked into fucking place so I can't move the dam window when.
Plus the interface itself is alot less simple and clear. When I was 12 I didn't know what the fuck a C: or where my rom folder was on my computer so if you left the rom folder of zsnes i'd be fucked and just go to pj64 instead.

What SNES emulator should I use to play SNES ROM hacks with, specifically Super Mario World hacks?

why is my thread still up

ZSNES

znes is for children that need a shiny GUI. snes9x is superior

VBA, no
VBA-m, yes

KING OF EMULATORS