THE GREAT DEBATE

THE GREAT DEBATE

There is no debate. Those are 2 different games.

Fusion doesn't shit the bed in the last 20 minutes.

Fusion better bosses.
ZM better everything else.

Fusion is so much better than Zero Mission that the idea of a debate between these games is stupid.

I definitely preferred fusion more, I don't really know what it was about it, but it just seemed like the bosses were more fun.

Will I enjoy Zero Mission If I liked both Super Metroid and Fusion?

Zm: remake done wrong
Fusion: exciting new game

Yes, as it is a mixture of both.

Metroid > Super Metroid > AM2R > Zero Mission > Fusion > Metroid 2

Admit it, I'm right.

I like both very much, you're faggot

>remake done wrong
Pls explain

Samus moves too fucking slow in Fusion.

Fusion is the game for Counter-Strike babies while Zero Mission is for true gamers.

Loved both games. Debate ends in samus on samus sexy time.

Fusion. I fucking love the fusion suit fight me fags.

>fight me

why would I?

>exciting new game
I wouldn't agree, unless I thought that "exciting" meant "listen to these pointless dry text dumps from ADAM every 5 minutes of game play."

Fusion shoots itself so much in the foot with those jarring, game-stopping info dumps, all to tell a fairly trite story.

While I like the taste of someone liking the first game the most (it's my favorite), no way M2 is below Fusion. M2 is a much quicker game and more immediate experience. Better soundtrack too!

>M2 is a much quicker game and more immediate experience. Better soundtrack too!
wtf
I don't know what the fuck is going on, why is the shitposting so bad?

This

Fusion was very cool my first time through, Zero Mission was still fun in subsequent playthroughs. Yeah I did the shinespark carry in Sector 4 for the secret message, but nothing compares to bomb jump skipping in metroid games, and that's something fusion didn't have.

I prefer Fusion, but still like ZM.

Fusion is more enjoyable, even if it tries a more linear approach to metroid.

>Fusion
+great enemies and bosses
+is actually creepy
-Adam is annoying
-Ending is cringy

>Zero Mission
+decent remake
-not a terribly compelling story
-Mecha Ridley feels like a huge letdown after Mother Brain

shame on me for thinking I could have a discussion without someone knee-jerk saying "shitpost!" Do you point out "Hillary plants" on Cred Forums too?

Totaka's soundtrack is way more interesting and does a better job of setting up ambience - and has more memorable tunes than Minami's mostly anemic Fusion score (excepting one or two standouts).

M2 is quicker by virtue of not having text dumps, like I mentioned. It also does a better job of providing the mix of linear/non-linear world design. People often praise Fusion by saying "they tell you where to go but not how to get there," forgetting how straight-forward that path to "get there" is, with maybe one or two side rooms with items. Metroid 2, by contrast, drops you off in larger areas with a mission to scout out and destroy Metroids. Thus, each new segment is its own non-linear map, and importantly, you can go backwards if you want to search for more items at any time - as opposed to Fusion which often locks doors behind you to tackle each setpiece one at a time.

I still enjoyed Fusion, but it is one of the weakest entries in the series for offering good map design and exploration.

mecha-ridley looks goofy. The whole Chozodia section needed another month or two of development to make it, well, fun. The game loses so much of its good pacing at that point.

I like how they gave you a secret "bonus" of tripling Mecha Ridley's health and attack power if you got 100% items, but the game is so insultingly easy that it doesn't matter that it takes 15 supermissiles to kill him as opposed to 5 (five! really!) when you carry like 30 or more (can't remember).

I was considering putting 2 above Fusion, but I'm not sure. They're two very different games, and they're the hardest out of the series to compare.

I don't like how you unlock new passages in Fusion with keys instead of with new upgrades.

And after Other M I can't help but read all of Samus' monologues in the Elevators in her Other M voice.

Zero Mission is great for a remake but I am a tryhard who hates the handholding.

setting up a new status quo only to follow it up with a remake was some weak shit even back in 2004

>Metroid better than Super Metroid

>Bomb-as-fuck new Metroid game with top tier controls, a cool new suit, a new main enemy other than Metroids, super tense sections, fantastic atmosphere, great music, and unique boss fights. Talks a bit too much.
>Mostly awesome remake of a game that doesn't hold up that well, and it stays true to the nonlinear nature the series is known for. Sadly, it ruined everything for everyone forever by introducing ZSS, as well as having a lame as fuck final area.

The answer is Fusion

No it doesn't.

Yuh huh it does

Both are just as streamlined. Fusion uses the computer to give you objectives and Zero Mission uses the statues.

Fusion has better overall level design, bosses, and enemies. The price is a slightly less interconected world, which ZM does a bit better, but that game pales in comparison to Super and also shits the bed at the end. It feels so afraid to let the player find out where to go by organic level design and instead clearly defines your goal because it's so afraid of letting the player be lost like in Super or Prime.

On the other hand, Fusion embraces its streamlining and leads the player through a well designed level and then asks the player to break the level, find secrets inside them, and ends up feeling more like you ate actually sequence breaking than any other metroid game since then.

Both are great, there's L I T E R A L L Y no other answer
If you say otherwise you're a casual faggot

>Get the Power Bombs 5 minutes before the end of the game.
>Their only use is to open the way to the final boss (except there's an alternate path around so you don't even need them for that), or to backtrack to previous areas to collect even more Power Bombs which serve no purpose.

If you really think about it, Fusion could never be made today without people refusing to buy it due to a costume change.

I enjoy it much more. The world feels so much larger and more desolate and unforgiving.

Metroid 1's world is fucking tiny, it's barely as big or varied as just Brinstar in Super.

Is it even possible to avoid those Chozo statues that guide you? I really don't like having a marker telling me where to go.

Only the first one is mandatory.

It's possible sometimes, requires bomb jumping

You can ignore most of them, but there's a few that will completely block off a passage until you make them crouch.

Seriously, why the fuck were even Power Bombs in ZM?

2 different designs

It's not easy to say which is better

I enjoyed fusion more but that's not saying Zero Mission was bad

Back when I sequence breaker the fuck out of this game it is completely possible to skip all but one statue (begining) and through the clever use of bomb jumping, gaining the variable suite extremely early. Smooth sailing from there. Forgot the rest of my path. Hardest part of the breaking was getting the variable suite.

Phone auto correct. Varia* break*

Getting the varia early is a case of tricky bomb-jumping, but I can't play the game any way else anymore (though I think I did a no-varia run back in the day).

Getting the varia early in the original was much harder due to the inconsistent physics of the bomb jump. But one great thing about the original is that the only thing keeping you from exploring the entire game map save Tourian were the bombs and 5 missiles. That's all you need to get to every other area in the game!

I really liked Fusion's mechanic of having enemy health/ammo pickups that run away from you, and that can turn into another enemy by infecting nearby life forms.

It's a really cool way of blending the story into the gameplay. You don't just get TOLD that Samus has the only living thing that is invulnerable to this parasite, you experience that through the gameplay. That's some fucking genius game design.

>"I'm kept getting caught and dying because I'm shit at video games"

It wasn't that bad, stop whining.

Fusion

Fusion

>It feels so afraid to let the player find out where to go by organic level design and instead clearly defines your goal because it's so afraid of letting the player be lost like in Super or Prime.

Fusion does this a bit better. The computer only gives you a target based on what it can figure out from the known map areas (the grey/pink map sections), it doesn't give you any hints on where to go to find the unmapped areas (the green sections), and those areas are still plentiful and necessary for getting through the game.

The computer in Fusion is basically just like an advanced version of the map console from Super, except it gives you a little more information than Super's map system does, while still not saying anything about the unmapped hidden areas.

Zero Mission I think I recall had ALL of its significant progress targets already mapped for you, and only the optional stuff like upgrades and whatnot could be found outside of the mapped area.

Fusion was a new game, but ZM is just much better as a Metroid.

Fusion ties you to the toilet and wipes your arse for you every 20 minutes.

No because you're not.

reach the ship.
turn off gameboy and never play it again.
is not that difficult.

>Fusion
>no bomb trick jumping

Fusion has better bosses and atmosphere at the cost of non-linearity and the ensuing gimping of single-wall climbing.

ZM is solid but nothing really new or special until the end, and the stuff it added there was not exactly great.

Fusion by a narrow margin.

They're both awful.

Metroid 1 and super are better.

Fusion is too linear, and zero mission trivialize 1's difficulty and rapes the atmosphere. Hint: it never never needed never needed a map.

How come Nintendo never made a 2D Metroid game on DS?

Fusion isn't really as handholdy as people think it is. You mostly only get a target icon on the map for certain milestone objectives like bosses... Super Metroid's map system did that same thing by placing a boss icon where the boss is.

It still leaves you on your own to find out where to go to unlock the path to the target. For example when you need to unlock the blue, yellow, green, and red doors it doesn't give you any hints on where the door console is.

And it also doesn't hold your hand at all whenever SA-X storms through the area and blocks off certain paths or cuts off the power, and you have to find an alternate way back.

Team was too small thanks to Iwata restructuring them as SPD1 and Sakamoto was told to work on masive Metroid project (Other M) for the Wii.

This

I really don't like the exploration aspect of the Metroid series at all. I prefer Fusion. Getting lost under the guise of exploration isn't fun in any game.

>it doesn't give you any hints on where the door console is.
well, I mean, one big hint is the fact that all of those consoles tend to be clustered together horizontally in 1x1 grid rooms, so if you see several of those rooms next to each other on the map, you sort of put two and two together.

And that still doesn't forgive the endless ADAM bitching at Samus. I know there is a hack that is WIP or something, but I wish wish wish that that never made it into the final game.

It's all been said. Fusion embraces its streamlining, Zero Mission stays in the middle and is ultimately dissatisfying. Fun to sequence break, however.

Get a load of this guy.

there is no debate. Zero mission all the way

quit your whining.

super is way too fucking floaty, and 1 never had much going for it besides the raw difficulty.

>isn't really handholdy
>GO HERE DO THAT DON'T TRY TO LEAVE BEFORE FINISH THIS TASK BECAUSE WE GONNA LOCK EVERY OTHER ROOM IN THE GAME UNTIL YOU DO WHAT COMPUTER ROOM SAYS

ZM is great until the ZS section which is utter shit. Fusion maintains a lesser but still good quality throughout the entire game, so I give it to Fusion. Also Fusion has much, MUCH better bosses.

That's not handholding. Super Metroid does the same thing, showing you where the milestone objectives are on the map (boss icons) but still leaving you on your own to figure out how to get to those objectives.

Super Metroid is just more subtle about its linearity. Instead of "You can't go hear until you complete this objective" it's "You can't go here until you get this item". The unintentional sequence breaks weren't part of the game's design plan.

Play both and shut up. That's my argument.

Say it with me user

Quality over quantity.

if you really think about it, you're completely wrong

"You can't go to the next area without x item" is different than "you can't even leave the area you're right now without x item"

Fusion never does this though. You are remembering wrong. You can always leave the area you're in and go to a different sector.

I haven't played Fusion but Zero Mission is one of my favourite games.

But that was one of the best design changes over Super.

>there are people in this thread who unironically don't think Super Metroid is the best of the 2d series

Some people look for different things in video games, user. Super Metroid is certainly one of the best of all time. But it's also less in difficulty than its previous iterations.It makes the majority of Samus' enemies cannon fodder.

SM is the floatiest of the playable 2D Metroid games (so that leaves M1 and 2 out of question)

I'd rank Super last without even thinking about it. I have recently played all of them, and I think I'd rank AM2R first, but they're all pretty close.

What planet are you on m8?

>being this bad at zero mission
top kek

Stop projecting

>Cred Forumsshit literally out of the blue

is there a hack of fusion that removes the navigation rooms

i know the story kinda falls apart with ADAAAAAM not telling you what to do, but his constant interruptions make replaying this game a complete drag, i'm just in it for the gameplay

Metroid 2 is pretty up there for me as well. It does isolation the best in the whole series.

the running around the ship bit was not that bad, you're just bad at video games

Maybe if you're hella casual.

>implying that Cred Forums is not synonymous with shitposting, circle-jerking, and safe spaces

I like fusion more.

Both are great but zero mission is better due to exploration on your own. Fusion straight up tells you where to go. All metroids are great besides other M and original Metroid. Here is my collection.

>Fusion straight up tells you where to go.
And Zero Mission doesn't?

A challenger appears!

And I'm completely serious

whats so bad about the zero suit parts? I mean the other parts were definitely better but it was still pretty fun at the end.

AM2R did feel damned nice. I just wish the shooting felt as nice as it did in ZM. Something about ZM just felt a tad bit more responsive to me.

Where the fuck is Metroid II?

Seconding this

thisIt makes sense in the context of Fusion since you are there to check out the station. When shit gets fucked in a particular area you're told to go unfuck it and kill whatever caused the problem. Zero Mission has you snuggle into a Chozo statue's warm hands while it whispers in your ear "maybe you should check this area out, if you catch my drift *wink wink nudge nudge*"