It's about that time of day again

How's that game coming along, Cred Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

somethingbyproxy.itch.io/shade
humanbenchmark.com/tests/memory
imgur.com/a/7g0Dz
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.AXM.CheckIt
youtube.com/watch?v=wYUbTOFmyMY
clyp.it/gpe5h41g
clyp.it/sh3nq4sg
opengameart.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's not. Physics are difficult.

Is Clickteam Fusion 2.5 worthwhile? It's cheap on Humble Bundle right now.

whatcha programming in user?

PC's coming in a week or two. I'll start then.

Wonder if this is good enough.

A retarded squirrel could work, it just depends on the game.

is anyone looking for music for their game I'd be happy to work with someone :-)

I want to know how much time and when you spend your time on these projects.
For me I am too busy as is, but things can change.

what makes it look retarded to you?

nobody wants what I was making so I gave up

LÖVE since it's the engine I'm the most comfortable with right now.

Does anyone use Stencyl?

How about a jazzy tune fit for a dark, lively city?

I can do that I have a band and a sax

It isn't. Gundam Online TW server put out a new event, so now I'm stuck commiting mechanical genocide until I get my rewards instead of working on my game.

Working on writing it all down first. I dont want to make it up as it's developed because those games are never good and never get finished

I've been working for almost a year and I'm still in alpha

It's the eyes. They have a vacant look probably because they wrap the head so much. It looks like they have no eyelids. From this angle it kind of looks like they aren't even looking the same direction.

I do think you are on the right track though. I do like the smooth model and the pixel-ed prerendered look.

listen user, i will give you a wonderful piece of advice you that can help you make anything into a habit.

start small, and do it for 3 weeks straight. i started by doing 2 parts of a breakout tutorial in GMS, never took more than 1-2 hours. afterwards, i did another tutorial on a platform game, then another. now i'm working on my own project, googling things i dont understand, always learning

and make sure to learn to code. GMS drag and drop may seem appealing, but you'll be 1000x better if you can write code. take notes, never copy and paste code, always type it out yourself. seems hard at first, but it will become much easier with time

soon you will become much better at managing your time, and you'll have some good facetime with code and basic programming concepts. plus, you'll actually feel like you need to do some work on it if you can turn it into a habit.

making a shitty game is far better than making no game at all

Is this going to be Conker homage parody game?

I really like the use of the 3D model to make the sprites. Looks good user!

Pygame blows and I have no interest in game programming, working more towards finding a job and slowly dropping out of this master's program instead.

I suppose if I don't have a thing ready by my 26th birthday I'll drive down to my local hunting store, get a 12ga and some slugs and say goodbye.

I think we need to have these threads less often, I love watching other user's progress as much as the next guy, but if we keep making this a once a day thread it'll devolve into /agdg2/ in no time.

Anybody know any best practices for crafting?

Everywhere I look is just comparing items in a list. That seems pretty inefficient for any large amount of items/recipes. A spreadsheet would give me constant lookup time, but would have exponential storage space.

A database system seems like my best bet, but what if there was an overlap between my items (i.e. white bread and whole wheat bread both count as bread for making a sandwich)? Would that significantly slow down a recipe search?

If every item has tags, maybe I could assign a number to the tags and do some hash-table black magic to cut down lookup time.

>GMS drag and drop may seem appealing, but you'll be 1000x better if you can write code
This is good advice. DnD really handicaps you in terms of options and honestly it's MUCH harder to go back to and edit.

Ah yes, i need to add eyelids!
The main focus lies on the pre-rendered sprites in the end, so i need to size smaller details somewhat big to appear on the small rendering.
As you can see on the lower right render, the giant eye almost looks normal cartoon-sized.
Thanks!

I already thought it might be getting too close to conker in visuals.
I want to make it a SNES-ish pre-rendered graphics classic platformer on the basis of the DKC games, Yoshis island and SMW.

Have a small basis already and am now creating my own graphics and stuff.

Glad you like it, thanks!

just from the top of my head, give all items unique values, and the results from any given item combination is not allowed to show up twice.

lets say white bread has the value 1 and meat has the value 2. If you combine them, you get a sandwhich. So a sandwhich has 3 as its lookup. That way you only have to use one simple look up table.
The more items you have, the more complicated it gets of course.

How about that new Humble Bundle?
Is it worth $1 for the standard edition alone?
Is Fusion worth it at all?

well fuck. I wanted to make a platformer, rpg, arcade, VN or card/board game in game maker. I dont know code, but have a friend who is working on a game and answers my questions.
My problem is I am working full time and a full time student. I cant work on shit except tasks that are asked of me.

I just wanted to see how you guys dedicate your time. I dont have enough at all if I am to learn code as well, but I will keep it in mind. Its what my friend said as well.

OP here. i partially get you, but among all the pretentious autists here, there are a select few who should absolutely be in the game dev industry

these threads come and go, but we're also testing games out, seeking advice, giving honest feedback. honestly these threads are usually the most earnest ones on Cred Forums

can't we just have this one nice thing, user?

Another way of course would be is to use strings instead of integers.
white bread is "a" and meat is "b", combine them and you get "ab". Then another look up table/dictionary that will give you the result for "ab" which is sandwich.

>can't we just have this one nice thing, user?
that's what I want, I just don't want shitposters to latch on, we already have sourceposting which for some reason causes a frenzy and derails the thread whenever it shows up.

can't fix this shit

lel

i recommend the built-in basic tutorials for GMS. they're quick, easy, and explain both DnD and coding methods of doing the same thing. great place to start, and they go over some fundamental programming logic

i've been in a similar time crunch. even if you can only hop on for an hour, it's still worth it for the practice. good luck user

You don't need a lot of time to learn the basics of GML. it's very simple and easy to work with. Like the other user said, start small and you'll become acquainted with it as you go forward.

Sorry, but the growth rate for that system would be way too high for what I'm planning. That's basically a spreadsheet turned into a one-dimensional format. It would still be n^2 growth.

Thanks for replying, though.

Ooh, that could work. I could generate a combination of strings for every tag attached to the items involved. From there I could just use a dictionary of lists and possibly retrieve a list for each string combination I made. Then players would choose from the contents of those lists.

I like that, thanks user!

Assuming you use some kind of pseudo camera and screen for the scope, can't you just make it so that the camera simply doesn't rotate along the X axis of the gun, while still allowing rotation on the Z and Y axis (Turning around/looking up or down)?

made me laugh. keep it as a feature

Is there a good tutorial (video or text) where I can learn GMS?

Looks pretty graet otherwise though lad.

It's essentially a camera, right? If so, either rotate the camera before doing calculations or rotate the final product.

Ill take your guys advice but not immediately.
These threads inspire me though. I'll either finish school in a few years or jump start a focus on my hobbies. I work already so I see no harm can be done if i do school or not.

yes. when you start a new project within GMS, go over to the Tutorial pane (image related) and go through the GM Basics
then checkout Shaun Spalding's shit on youtube, specifically the your first game or platformer tutorial
then find shit that interests you

Another advice I'd like to give, don't worry *too* much about the time needed for the lookup, as long as its in manageable ranges, lets say under 500ms.
You can hide the lookup time through animations, think of DQ8 for example. Every time you put items in the pot, no matter if the result is valid or not, an animation plays showing the alchemy pot bubbling.
This has the added benefit of building tension for the player. It's pretty much the same as gambling. Of course you could make a slot machine that will instantly tell you if you won or not, but it's the waiting time before the result that builds the tension, until you either see a win or loss for relief.

Slopes would be so much easier if I could just check that damn precise collision checking box. It'd solve half the problem right there.

Yeah, I figured I could ease lookup times by having co-routines go through the player's inventory every once in a while or managing a table of possible recipes based on the items players pick up/use.

I don't know how far I'll take this crafting system and one of my hopes is to make it easy for modders to add their own items/recipes, so I'm worrying about lookup time/storage now before it gets out of hand.

Don't worry too much about if before it becomes a problem. Implement the system and if it takes too long, optimize it. Pre-Optimization is a project-killer because you will always have something that "could" run better.
And I would stay from database solutions entirely, unless you really have thousands of items.

pls respond

why are you clowns talking about lookup times and optimizations for some simple data access
you could access a dictionary with a million entries multiple times per frame every frame and it would still barely dent your games performance

its ok if you want to make simple 2D games like platformers, but dont try to make anything structured with it like an rpg or a strategy game or you'll be pulling your hair out at the horrible visual event system

I've been at it again for about 2 weeks, really determined to stick with it now that I quit my job and went to university again.

Not really any meaningful progress to post yet, but I want to make it a game in the style of Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories for the GBA without the horrible card system and randomized rooms of course.

The talk about lookup was more for the possibility of using other data structures. It's not too important since that one user pointed out that strings could make good key values.

Are you hoping to keep the different perspectives for travel/battle or are you combining them?

use any data structure you want, if it's a crafting recipe you're not going to be constantly checking it, even a list of 1000 items is fine. 500ms times to look up is ludicrous. It will take less than 1

>Are you hoping to keep the different perspectives for travel/battle or are you combining them?
honestly, I've been thinking about making more of a PS1 era JRPG overworld because I'm worried about the amount of assets I'll need
I don't think I can create enough NPCs or backgrounds for example in that sort of higher detail sprites style and also I absolutely love trails in the sky so I'll probably do something similar to that

What's a good engine to develop on for Linux users?

So I could make some 2d puzzle games, sell them for a buck or two on Steam or free on iOS with ads and shit, and be fine?

I've lost faith in my idea, now I'm just stuck. Idea's guys feel free to let me steal your ideas

Really ugly, but in the most charming kind of way. Reminds me of those really old PC adventure games like Lands of Lore.

well, post what you got

Got save/load menus working now.

I tried gamemaker today but the interface is shit compared to Unity
Should I get back to it or try to go on with GM? I'm planning to do a Warioware-like game

Posted this last night but I'll throw it out there again:
somethingbyproxy.itch.io/shade

Been working on it for about a month and a half, making progress and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to add.

Feedback is always appreciated

You can probably make some simple shit like 2kliksphilip does

Nice! That's something I'll need to implement eventually, haven't gotten far enough along to really start thinking about checkpoints, loading, or saving.

>spoopy game
Shan't be trying this out. Can't handle spoopy games.

I'll say this much though, the "scary red front" in game is jarring. It feels very "young child doing what they think is scary" feel to it, if that makes sense. Unfortunately, I'm blanking on an alternative to it.

good. i'll be finished within 2 weeks.

Yeah, someone last night said the same thing. I can switch it to a more normal font, but then it looks a little plan. Probably just need to find a decent middleground.

I want to render realistic snake scales. How the fuck do I into normal maps, specular maps, bump maps, etc. I know the basics of UV layouts but I have no clue what I'm doing outside of basic texturing.

Using Maya 2017

Pic possibly related

arial black is the answer you're looking for
make the red brighter but less saturated

Hey I'm the guy who wanted to make a lowpoly 3D platformer. After reading through the suggestions I redesigned the character, now she's more angular, more stylized, cut down the polygon count, and I aged her down as well.

Is this a cute enough character for a lowpoly platformer?

if it was me Id make the hair poofs bigger and the feet a little bigger. thats just me tho

doing pretty okay, added this flying new critter today
neat, i like this model

Yes. Is the expression meant to be that blank though? Rei's got nothing on that shit.

her expression looks a little shocked, not sure if that's intended. But looks nice!

Honestly, it's the red that's the biggest problem. The same font in white would look much nicer.

that's a lot of particles

Looks really great! Cute and readable. One small detail that can really help when you decide to animate her is to have her eyes blink on a clock. Just a few of eyelids moving. Doesn't need to be more than maybe two frames of animation if you time it properly.

I will recommend Tom Francis' series on Game Maker until the day I die. It's really good.

Thanks, her face is a separate texture, so I'll be able to animate expressions.

Look any better? Went through and made the text uniform. Not quite white, but a very light grey

Much cleaner. Much nicer. I can actually see the text clearly now an only just realised it has a sort of chalk-on-a-blackboard look to it.

your own

World of difference. Just gotta make sure you never have backgrounds that same shade

Going pretty well so far

What am I even looking at?

Get the fuck out of here Pannenkek.

Doesn't your RNG choose corners a bit too often?

this looks great user, real classic pc game vibes. the characters are ugly as sin but i feel that might be what you're going for?

I think that's what adds to that 90s DOS gaming edge.

Is this Simon Says with checkboxes?

I'm liking the UI and the juicing, but it seems wasted on such a simplistic game.

Could be down to the nature of RNG. If it's just random, then there's not much can be done. Like how Apple had to change their random shuffle algorithm because it was too random and would end up choosing the same song a few times in a row by nature of being random.

Looks like a mobile game. You want them to be incedibly simplistic. That's how you make dosh.

See: Flappy Bird.

humanbenchmark.com/tests/memory

Literally this with fancy graphics

>there's not much can be done
>gives an example of how it can be done
Game Design is all about faking things.

To be fair, there's a hell of a difference between user and fucking Apple m8.

Yet you are here, and post the same thing repeteadly. So this feeling of velleity is clearly annoying you in the long term. Why not do something about it?

Mobile Helicopter was such a success, I wonder what other 00s era flash games can be turned into million-dollar mobile games.

Anything that can be reduced to a single tap.

It's kinda simple, all you have to do is introduce a module operator or somehing like that for these kind of RNGs

I've been wanting to make a to catch a predator game, only I have no ideas how it could play out. idea guys come out of your sheds!

Just posted the first screenshots for my VR survival horror game. I'm working in Unity, demo coming out for Halloween

imgur.com/a/7g0Dz

Plays like Emily is Away, where you catfish the paedo through instant messenger apps choosing the right dialog to entice him to come to the house (could be repesented with a lust meter or some shit like that). Then you go into a Chris Hansen mode when the paedo arrives and do Telltale style dialogue stuff to get the paedo to implicate himself so he gets charged at the end. You need a feature where you can read out the chat log and a feature where you can choose the perfect time to introduce Chris Hansen. Not sure how to do those though. I guess the chat log could be an "item" of sorts.

>imgur.com/a/7g0Dz
looks pretty cool, but the screenshots have this pre-rendered effect kinda like the old PSX Final Fantasies.
The only negative is that the world looks like it was scaled a bit too big, or maybe that's just something with the Fov that doesn't come across in screenshots?

Anyone looking for music?
I can whip out something quickly for your game, way better than using linkinpark-crawling(192).mp3

You're right. Only multi-national corporations are capable of anything above half-assed game design. There's not a single fun game that had a budget below $1 billion and a staff of at least 300.

Nothing in your post was even close to being implied. Are you embarrassing yourself on purpose or is does this come naturally to you?

If you guys want to check out the checker game, you can do so here:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.AXM.CheckIt

Its just basically remembering the checks you see, and tapping them. But there's different challenges as well later in the game.

I've been working on tilesets all day MY BRAIN IS MELTING

Are those curved slopes or are my eyes fucking with me?

I would do a platform if I had any level design ideas

They are curved slopes yes

Can you make music that sounds like this?

youtube.com/watch?v=whOa2Qf4ztM

Thanks, yeah it's probably just the wacky FOV. I'll be posting some gameplay footage within the next week so it'll make more sense.

Probably, but the ambience-y parts need a lot of work to sound nice, can't half ass that shit.
What's your game?

whatever program you are using, you need to make your mirror modifier join the vertices at the mirror point so you don't get that weird seam

Jesus, there's some wizardry. Looks really neat though.

If you could make a nice calm cave song for my game
that would be really nice

I'm on it. What's the gameplay like?

foryou

It's a metroidvania, it's rather fast paced, like Metroid Zero Mission. The theme of the game is insects, and I imagine the game having music similar to Donkey Kong Country or Ecco the Dolphin.

Some gameplay footage (with placeholder music and graphics)
youtube.com/watch?v=wYUbTOFmyMY

Any tips for good OBS settings? Everytime I try to record the video freezes, downscaling kinda fixed it but there must be other way. Also, any way to make OBS crop the scene automatically? It just displays the game window in the center and pads the rest with black

Oh man that looks fun

>fast paced
>bossfight

you still want a calm track then, right?
I can use lo fi samples like DKC, but I am in no way close to David Wise quality composition

Yeah I wanted to merge them when I'm sure I'm done, to avoid any trouble with symetry later if i feel like i needed to fix or change something then.
But thanks for telling me!

>land bomb splash damage that takes away a giant portion of the boss's health bar
>boss doesn't even flash
I really hope that's a video conversion problem or something, because it looks like flashing is tied to stun animations instead of actual damage. Which is fucking stupid

Google around for snake skin textures and learn how to make normal maps for maya. If you're feeling daring you can mess around with Substance painter as well

> Get up at 8am to work
> Work till 5pm
> Home, have dinner
> Revise from 8 till midnight so I can spend an hour making my game
> Creatively fucking bankrupt

So frustrating. Anyone else get days where they spend the whole day looking forward to working on it, sitting down and then the feeling disappears?

On second thought, go with what pace you think the song should be like.
I'll fix that

>Gets out of the mech
That game went from completely uninteresting to incredibly interesting in a split fucking second. Nice job user.

Thanks I guess, but the idea isn't original.

Doesn't need to be original to be great.

This is the exact thing I did after noticing this same thread everyday on here, I downloaded GMS just to have a look how possible it would be to start making a game if i just had the creativity side and not so much the technical ,and now im surprised how well its going, even with basic coding knowledge I have. My juices are flowing and I feel more enthusiastic about making games each day just from doing what you said.

Trying to learn programming languages was always a task for me, but when you see it pay off in a creative way it helps you keep going.

here's a quick WIP. tell me if you like the theme, instrumentation, style, and stuff
clyp.it/gpe5h41g

Have we ever, as a species, stopped to ask ourselves why we put gloves on anthropomorphised animals?

Eh, it sounds too lighthearted and cheerful. Try going for something deeper and darker, moodier and more electronic, like Metroid.

Do you reckon there's a market for original MGS style games? Heavy emphasis on story and real world themes, heavy emphasis on bosses and people and character development? I'm obviously a huge fan of the MGS games, but I feel if I attempted, it'd just get slammed for being a shit MGS rip-off

shit nigga, you said donkey kong country/ecco the dolphin
metroid is a completely different beast

I just realized that as soon as I posted, sorry.

I loved the original MGS for that and was severely disappointed with how science fictiony the series got as time went on.

Keep the UV coordinates of the lens plane stored and just rotate them when the player leans.

That or rotate the render target camera you're using

This is why.
Without the color difference/contrast it's hard to make out the hand on a character of the same color all over the place.

MGS is dead, if anything you'll have a guaranteed fanbase. Just don't pull nanomachine bullshit out of your ass and you should be fine

You guys know how in Binding of Issac, all the rooms are predesigned by hand, and then put in a pool, and the game draws from that pool based on rules?

Well, I'm working in game maker, and wondering, if i design a bunch of rooms like that to go together in different configurations, how to i store a level away in code to call for later? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Go for it, the only reason other people haven't done it is because it's an absolute asset grindfest, you'd be working on it for a millenia by yourself.

I literally have no motivation

Wow, thank you for the example! :) If i designed a with a squirrel protag, i'd probably put him in a hawaiian shirt, with a little floaties on his arms. :)

Love the sprite render. How'd you do it? What program etc?

clothes = class

put socks on pluto and they gotta treat him like a person like goofy, aintcha read arry porrer

Seconding this, tell me how are you making this senpai

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I think I'll get started tomorrow.

3ds max.
disableing all camera effects like anti-aliasing / blur.
small render size, currently for this character 80x80 pixel.
Save it, and use photoshop to make it an indexed color image with (currently trying things out) 16, 32 or 64 colors.
Then, using it in unity i upscale it by 4, point-filtered.

Still fixing it. Noticed an unfortunate (and inconsistent) issue with blocks that can be pushed, so that's a thing.

Those plants stand out too much if they're just decoration. Also the top-left corner where the walls meet looks funky

clyp.it/sh3nq4sg
?
too metroid?

neat!

No, this is much better. Keep working at it.

I agree. I'll see about removing the outline from them, as well as fixing that wall part.

Looks quite nice already. What game engine are you using?

The project started in GM5, but I've moved it to GMS

>started in GM5
holy shit dude how long have you been working on this

Been playing a little bit too much Super Mario World

Trying to implement zoom in to character, as well as handling what happens when he runs off a ledge.

I wanted to make a game in the same vain, my main thought was that since MGS died, it'd need a replacement. I was going to do something similar to the Metal Gear(1 and SS)

I wish you the best of luck, user. It's my favorite game series so I'd love to see what comes out of your project.

This is pretty relaxing. :) Nice job!

I regret not buying gms for 1$ so much, kill me

This is the exact thing I am working on, I love everything metal gear, its my favorite game franchise and I want to create my own love letter to it by making my own game that's in the same vein as metal gear but still its own thing.

I have a clear concept in my mind how I want it to pan out but im just trying to prototype it right now.

This is my problem, It's just me, I have a few friends who can do the music and digital art but i'm nowhere near ready to utilize them until I have proof of concept.

Looking forward to showing you guys in this thread when I have something worthwhile.

Well it's the second bundle they've released, so there might be a third next year.

You can still get it cheaper than normal from G2A for like £8

Are you going for a Metal Gear 2: SS vibe or a Metal Gear Solid feel? 2D vs 3D?

>2004
>started game project
>2005
>got movement and camera system finished
>2006-2015
>sporadic working, moved to gm6, then to gm7 with no real progress other than basic inventory system
>2015
>find out about undertale and it's success, got off my lazy arse and started working properly
>2016
>moved to gms, started posting screenshots on Cred Forums
It's been going much longer than it should have, but thankfully it's nearing completion now

Currently...Its not. I've had a ton of ideas for games using Unreal...but Im not sure where to even start with it.

Current idea is a stealth game akin to the old thief games with a blend of body horror as most of the enemies are mishappen abominations each with different ways to combat or avoid them.

Holy shit user,this is FFXV tier production hell.

For anybody starting out, your ambitions will always outweigh your skills in the beginning. Start small! Design by subtraction!

Its more a case of bringing what we know and love from all the the metal gear series as a whole MG1 - MGSV (dropping what we hated) and presenting it in a simpler graphical form like from MG1 and MG2 as that's currently all I am capable of doing graphically.

spent like an hour drawing a font

going to start designing actual graphics soon -- since I can't sprite and I'm not going to get anyone to draw for me, I'm going to go abstract/geometric since I'm gonna one man army this shit

I want to work on music for the game, but I kind of want to do it in FM, and I'm like 1/3rd finished with the OPL3 tracker I'm writing.
there's other OPL3 trackers, but I really hate using them (in particular, I can't do shit with Adlib Tracker II)
there's nice, easy OPL2 trackers, but they're kind of limiting (Reality Adlib Tracker is super easy, but there's no detune effect/option, making it hard to get a nice, layered sound)

>So frustrating. Anyone else get days where they spend the whole day looking forward to working on it, sitting down and then the feeling disappears?
absolutely

man, porting any of my old GM5 stuff to Studio was a nightmare
doesn't help that I really took full advantage of the fact that I knew gobs about how GM5 worked, and Studio throws every one of those assumptions clean out the window, in addition to the syntax changes GM6 onward brings on

damn, I like that hud

>find out about undertale and it's success
not going to lie, this is what got me back into making games as well

>MGS
>real world themes
just because you dress up your badly written shounen plot as military fantasy doesn't give it real world themes

forgot to post a video

here's an art tip, don't make your background stand out more than your foreground

>Working on a game
>Not very far but I have most of the basics down a few of the complex mechanics
>Don't have to do anything that I haven't already done before in some other incarnation
>Everyone always says that if your first game is an RPG you'll fuck it up and never finish because it's too big of a job

W-When is it going to fuck me, Cred Forums? I'm scared.

How far are you?

That looks fun as fuck

now

Kek, thankfully I'm going better now

I've actually had several projects I've got on indefinite hold, because porting to later versions and not having a clear idea of why large chunks of code aren't working is very annoying

depends what development tool you're using

I completely understand what you mean, user. I wanted to make a "Metal Gear 3" in the graphical sense of MG2, where it has all of the components that made Metal Gear fun and loved. It's cool to see someone else wanted to do the same, MG helped me develop my love for gaming and I always wanted my first game to be influenced by it, kinda like a thank you to Kojima.

otherwise you end up with Zool :^)

can't believe anyone here is old enough to have played that

The big tl;dr is that it's an RPG with Hotline Miami combat. I have movement, shooting, damage, basic AI (some enemies just pathfind to you, some stop and shoot), a couple maps, and thing that lets you mindhack people into becoming a non-combatant, ally, or into comitting suicide. All the art is still placeholder of course.

Only Gamemaker.

yeah
pretty much all of the graphics in that video are going to be replaced, I just threw shit together for parallax

the actual backgrounds are going to be kind of muted and dark, the foreground's going to be glowing

man, I shouldn't have implemented water running so soon -- some days, I'll open up my game, be ready to do shit
and then spend like an hour just fucking around with running on the water

This happens to me all the time. Don't think of it as a bad thing. The mechanic is awesome and fun, therefore, you should spend more time with it and find ways to make it even more interesting.

Something to note about gamemaker games is that there's a bit of a lower standard for them. Hotline Miami was a piece of shit if you watch some gameplay and look carefully, blood going through walls, enemies running through cars, everything about doors, and the fact it's such a simple game in depth. All you have to do is make it OK and have a fun mood.

I wish i could call my game something with metal gear in it, but really if im lucky enough to even get it off the ground, its going to be more of a spiritual successor, and also just to be careful as Konami are very happy to shoot down anything metal gear thats fan made.

I will be borrowing from MG massively but not directly referencing it, just easter eggs here and there.

I'd like to go into more detail but im abit protective over it right now. I hope you succeed in whatever you attempt, Id play the hell out of what you are thinking.

Don't you literally make [Rooms] in Gamemaker? Can't you have all the rooms made, and then when you would go to the next room it just randomly picks one from a list of rm_028 rm_012 rm_007 rn_084 to send you into?

After university I want to become a Games Design college teacher. What are the requirements I need?

After my first year study and now started my second year, I'm feeling as though teaching Games Design in college is much more suitable than actually going into industry as I don't feel as confident as the rest of the competition.
What are the requirements I need to become a college teacher and do I really need industry experience to teach the most basics of Games Design, i.e: 3DS Max, Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush etc.

just finish your pleb bachelors and they'll hire you on

you aspire to be the cancer killing the game industry
congrats

>Clickteam Studio on Humble
>Not software for helping in making games like spriting tools or anything else like that.
>Already have Gamemaker

Ugh...

I literally want to ________ my wrists after reading this.

So, you can just make like 900 rooms? I'm still looking into it, but thank you.

graphics gale is free

Well, it's pretty early in development, but I think it's going along okay. I know people will fucking crucify me for using RPG Maker, but trust me when I say I'm using it like nobody's used it before.

screenshots?

It's great. probably the most user friendly game making software, and the community is awesome. they'll help you for free

FYI anyone who considers the Humble Fusion deal, the "50 dollar coupon" thing for the Dev edition is only valid until November.

I'm still very inexperienced but I don't see why you couldn't. I suppose that you'd have the objects set so they adopt a sprite based on what floor you're on?

this reminds me of something, can't imagine what

How much would I need to pay for a 6-7/10 gml programmer person to help unstick my code and teach me things, like 10 hours a month?

One thing you could do is have multiple areas per room, but a global.variable (or just a local for a controller object) to determine which area is used, then have enemy spawners and the player start position and whatever else be set to the correct area.

You could even have every area be in just one room with this, though the room size will be big if you're doing a lot of preset areas.

It's inspired by Danganronpa

>teach me things
what kind of things?

Yeah, i think it has something to do with data structures, which are too advanced for me at this time. I want to make something similar to house of dead ninjas (first one), where the floors are sorted into difficulty, but randomly drawn. I don't want to create a gamemaker room for every possible floor. If that makes sense? I'll probably just have to cut my game scope.

yeah I was being sarcastic thats more 'ripped off' than 'inspired' friend

Yes, but that's just spriting. I just used that as an example cuz I know I've seen spriting stuff up in a bundle before.

Audio and other things also apply.

not necessarily. mostly just the art style kinda and the fact that it has trials. the actual overall story is much different.

Can someone please do the art for my game?
I'll give you a big discount when the game comes out

>No royalties
>Not even free keys
>Just a discount
Am I being meme'd on?

If I look at your game and instantly think of another that's a bad thing

If anything, the recent gamemaker bundle has inspired me to worker harder on my skills.

I finding the tutorials by HeartBeast to be really informative, are there any other good ones?

What's the best gamemaking program where I can use 3D low poly models?

Shaun Spalding has some good tuts. I think he covers the same things as HeartBeast, though.

Blender's good for 3D models. It's free.

best post. Give it up inafune.

That's fine. But I mean, like I said, the game's still VERY early in development. I'm expecting close to everything to be majorly updated by the time I'm done with it

opengameart.org/

Thanks user, I wish you the best of luck with yours too. I love the stealth genre a lot, it's one of my favorites. I'm absolutely terrified to even mention Metal Gear because Konami will probably try to shut that shit down.

I was honestly inspired by a friend, when he said Metal Gear 3 should be another MG game that drops Solid, which followed Solid Snake and Otacon's antics inbetween 2 and 4. Philanthropy.

Sent you an email, glad to be working with you

Did you just ask yourself for screenshots? Might want to remove the name field next time.

Anyone know any good extensive pixel art tutorials?

I thought someone was trolling him
I didnt know anyone was that dumb

kek

(You)
Yes I did

whats the easiest engine for 3d game dev

I've been framed!

Delete this right now

Things just got a little weird in here.

The easiest you can get without losing too much functionality is Unity. Everything is really modular and there's a large number of assets in the store.

What skills do you have in regards to making a MG-esque looking game?

Just wondering if there's any possibility to collaborate.

Hopefully like me your frequent these threads, ill keep an eye out for MG looking content.

How limited am I with the normal version of Fusion? Does the developer version add anything that I'd really want?

yesterday I added in a giant list of new items, but they're all using identical icons right now

the stats and stuff are all set, at least

Hm

I'm great at concept development

you forgot your name in this post :)

Can you just stop pretending you're me?

I admit it. Yes. It was me. ALL ME.

Everybody is me

That's some good looking gameplay. However it looks awkward how the character stops so suddenly. Remember to render an animation where the character slows speed. You can see this in the DKC games and even most of the mainline Mario platformers.

So is TheOneSword's game ruined forever?

Your game looks like shit. No wonder you have to resort to shit like that.

no, it's all part of the marketing.

GLFW for making games

Yes or no?

oh, it's night and raining. i thought those were graphic glitches ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now THAT is rude. We are a civilized community here, so shut your filthy mouth before i wash it out with soap you little brat.

Go for broke

This

>How's that game coming along, Cred Forums?
5 years in and too busy to spare much time for it.

Question, do you need a powerful pc to run the engine? I'm going for UE4, since it's, well, free.

I major in Simulation and Digital Entertainment at my college, which gives me room to level design, and technical art.

To answer your question, the closest thing I've achieved for a MG-esque looking game was making a block move and avoid a guard AI patrol cycle kinda like the very first VR mission.

Seriously it looks like an RPG maker title. People avoid those like plague. That grade school tier anime art doesn't help.

I'm just preparing them for the real world. People are rude as fuck, especially in the internet. If you can't take a rude comment or a dozen then you're not going to make it.

>metal gear fan
>doing game design at school

why am I not surprised

Maybe it's his first game, it's common to take the first steps into game dev by starting with RPG Maker, it's simple enough and lets you get an idea of how to do basic stuff.

With that being said, some RPG Maker games are still rather successful, like the LISA series or Yume Nikki, hell there are games made on this engine that don't even have gameplay and are still big hits, like To The Moon.

The key is to avoid making it blatantly obvious that your game was done on that engine, good art, scripts and new window skins are crucial for that

Broke?

>your game will get 0 sales

I'm going to make dark souls with guns

Gotta start from somewhere, and if you never start, it'll never happen. I never really understood the hate for people that underwent that major.

>Implying I'm not going to release it for free
>Implying gamedev is not a hobby
>Implying I need the money
>Unity

add tits

No youd be just like every other low price low effort indie faggot on steam. Fuck off

Take tips from Haydee

>I never really understood the hate for people that underwent that major.
It's not really hate, just disdain for people where the "He fell for the X meme" statement actually applies

Yes faggot. Quit now you already sound retarded

Oh shit i'm stupid lol, thanks user! I only browse Cred Forums for these topics because I find it really interesting.

>i'm just being rude to show people that rude people exist ;)

The world is what we make of it, user. And you'd be foolish to think you're contributing anything to help him grow as a person. All you did was create a form of suffering he may not even learn from, which could've been avoided if you gave him advice instead of devaluating his efforts.

>butthurt
>not getting a degree in anything
A1 user.

>getting a degree in an experimental field where exprience and commitment matter more than anything else and technology gets outdated before there's even time to teach it

Do you guys ever work on things with a team?

I've been thinking of getting back into this old project of mine, but I know I need to keep doing more personal responsibilities, so I was thinking of offering some friends who showed interest (one specifically being a full on code guy) to help out.

I feel really fucking weird about inviting others to work on what is basically a personal passion project, even though they showed interest in helping it before.
Not to mention I feel really self concious about how shit my current code is if I'm going to be asking someone with more code experience for help.

you can't rely on anyone for anything unless you're paying them

and even then, you usually can't rely on them

It can be hard to work in a team with other people when the game is basically yours. It's really easy for them to lose interest and quit, so if you are relying on them then you're screwed at that point. Happened to me at least

I did, but it kind of fell apart. Everyone loved the idea, designing began to happen, and everything began to fall into place, then I stopped hearing from them.

99% of the time teams don't work unless there is money involved

Pretty much. You'd be jumping into one hell of a saturated pool and you're not gonna garner much respect with some shitty shovelware but yeah, go ahead. To be fair, one or two dollars isn't asking for much either.

There's a lot of things that go into working with a team. I have some experience, about a years worth and this is what I have picked up.

1. If you're going to work with friends and planning to include money in the mix do an even split with everyone or you're going to cause problems in the future possibly ruining your friendships. Even then they might get ruined because adding money into a friendship dynamic isn't usually a good idea.

2. Some people are incapable of working under someone, they can't listen to orders, focus on tasks or have this inherent need of put something of their own to the mix. It's for the best of the team to identify these people as early as possible and kick them the fuck out.

3. If someone isn't carrying their weight then you need to be able to get rid of that person. This will also cause problems with a team made with friends.

4. Having a couple people more doesn't mean that you can expand your scope massively. It's still VERY important to keep the scope of the game reasonably small when working with a small team.

5. Identify the strengths of the people you're working with. Like you said your friend has more coding experience. Don't be afraid to ask him for help when you don't know something or feel like he might have a better implementation of shit. Being self conscious of your code is normal but don't dwell on it too much.

What do you use to make your models?

Usually falls through. At least by yourself, you can make your game however you want and not worry about their shit ideas.

dont offer an even split unless they're doing an even amount of work
if your teammates can't accept the reality of the division of labour they arent mature enough to work on a team

Do you charge? Can you make ambient dark fantasy music?

I need the kind of cheap ass old MIDI shit you'd expect to hear in Runescape 10 years ago

>PS1 style low poly
I'm down with this, looks great bro

Best way to contact you? Would love to save you as a future reference.

I heard that GM is better.

And that there are better things than GM.

I wanted to progress but my PC died and I am now running ubuntu to backup my shit before reinstalling windows 7
I fell for the windows 10 meme

>making a shitty game is far better than making no game at all

I like this statement. Completing a project means you could limp through it.

Because the next game may be better.

Are they men or women?

No, don't tell me. It'll ruin the magic.

I love how long these threads last now. I use to be paranoid about them being deleted right as I spark up convo.

My personal game isn't going to see any development until I think I'm ready (Which isnt for another 10 years). I'm making characters/creatures for my friends stuff though to get me there. Hes making a magitek themed dnd style game.

Hes making his own engine from scratch which makes me want to rip his fucking eyes out too

Pic related is going to be the Armor/Stat display dummy.

oh hey we're making the same game

What problems did you have with 10?

It feels alright for deving now. Nice and tablet friendly for sure. Still wish i had the power to run everything through a vm on arch though

That's some gross as UI & temp art user. At least I hope it's temp art.

who's got time for art with all this coding to take care of

Those of us that know the coding is a useless timesink now and art is where all the fun be

I might convert this into something more like Galaga crossed with Space Invaders Extreme

Never give up!

Thoughts on a side scrolling RPG, similar in design to Paper Mario TTYD

SPM?

This is my first attempt at pixel art. I made a little player icon.

Anyone like it?

What game is this for? looks nice user

It's not for a game as of right now, It's my attempt at improving my shit art.

I absolutely love pixel art but I'm terrible at drawing.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Defold?
Has anyone worked with it?

>Unreal
>Unity
>Game maker
FUCK YOUU
YOU CAN PRY ID TECH 3 FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS.

you can keep it.

I've finished the map editor, so now I can get back to adding more things.

practice makes perfect, but pixel art is much more complicated than it seems. I'd start with the basics.

/ic/'s sticky has some great guides if you want to start learning.

>to worker harder

Neat.

What size of texture did you use for that, it looks great and i'm trying to do low poly stuff too.

mostly good, but what's happened in the armpit area?

IT'S A FEATURE