I'm sorry i thought I was playing a Mother game, not fucking Live A Live

I'm sorry i thought I was playing a Mother game, not fucking Live A Live.

Lets talk about this game and why it is inferior to Mother 2

Its also inferior to M1
But its still great

what happened to 4?

Dead as soon as Nintendo sends out DMCA

It's more different than inferior. The settings are more unrealistic than 2 (outside of stuff like Moonside), so it loses some charm. The plot and ending are one of the best in video games imo.

It seems like a bunch of pretentious hipsters with no organizational skills and a lot of ideas. The soundtrack is phenomenal and there seems to be a lot of care for minor details though. As far as I know there has been no demo and they're way behind schedule on finishing the game. I wouldn't be surprised if it never saw the light of day.

On the other hand they could just be laying low to release the game once it's 100% done, just like every fan game should. They know they will get taken down.

Came out in summer 2014

The problem is the chapter system to tell the story.
M1 and 2 feel like proper adventures, and I personally connect better with the characters and world because of it while 3 is like a story book

Earthbound is fucking trash

I'm not a huge fan of Mother 3 but I can at least understand why people like it and see the appeal beyond "it's that super wacky game I played as a kid/everyone told me was the best game ever."

But M2 characters had no personality

As much as the ones from 1 and 3, whats even your point

Mother trilogy is a masterpiece and it has nothing to do with being wacky at all.
Dont judge games by their fanbases

I don't, I judge them by their quality as games. Earthbound is fucking trash and I can't understand why it's so beloved, whereas Mother 3 is simply not my thing even though it's pretty solid.

3>1>2
Anyone who disagrees is underage and/or forms their opinions based off ecelebs

Seems you cant watch past gameplay you dislike likely due to not being instant gratification, your loss.

>Mother trilogy is a masterpiece

1 > 2 > 3
Come at me any time.

NX LATEST

It's the only really good Mother game, though. Mother 1 is a boring grindfest and Earthbound has nothing going for it except quirky writing and weird enemies.

>2>3
I'll let it slide this time just because 1 is great

M1 and 2 have a fascinating story, its just not told by conventional means the themes are very powerful and the feeling of the games is very unique.

1 is absolutely amazing, I understand if people cant get over the "dated" gameplay, they dont understand what telling stories indirectly and through context is, I doubt they even know what magicant even was in that game.

>M1 and 2 have a fascinating story, its just not told by conventional means the themes are very powerful and the feeling of the games is very unique.
Oh boy, here we go.

Not M3, Kumatora is a girl with an attitude and has actual dialog where you could draw personality from. Lucas and Claus were mischievous but playful kids up until the tragedy. after the time skip Lucas is a lot more stoic and reserved. Even Duster and Boney are unique when it comes to party members. There may not be too much there but it's atleast significantly better than Ness , Ness but a girl, Ness as a nerd, stoic martial artist Ness. All of M2 is basically about the 4 kids being chosen heroes and they fit that mold so well that they don't get much else for characterization. M3 is much more grounded in that they just ended up together rather than some destiny bringing them together.

The stories may be good and full of "the feels" but that doesn't stop them from being boring slogs and generally unpleasant to play.

2 > 1 > 3
But I respect your opinion.

Gameplay
3 > 2 > 1
Story + Setting
2 > 1 > 3

3 doesn't really have a lot of the themes the first two had, and is a lot different in tone. Still an alright game though.

What I mean is that the first 2 games have just as much personality than the ones from 3, I wasnt putting 3 down but 1 and 2 up.
Lloyd is an abused kid at school with a drunk father that learns to be brave and be respected
Teddy is a gang member that almost dies for his anikis
Jeff is neglected bu his father too and has the whole gay friend thing going
Poo is indeed boring but he has personality the personality of a boring monk
Ana and Paula are just cute and quiet good girls, just a companion to the self insert Ninten/Ness
M3 gave more personality to characters thanks to the chapter system but it also make the storytelling more in your face, and one of your final party members is just a dog

No feels are involved
Well except in that one scene in M1
Its just really subtle and the themes work perfectly, like a perfect fairytale

Mother > Mother 3 > Mother 2

Playing JRPGs strictly for plot is the dumbest thing.

I think the themes are still there but for it to work you need to admit a few things about the story, specially regarding magicant and Porky´s situation.

I agree, I actually enjoy the turn based battles too.
Item management and low level runs of 2 and 3 are plenty fun

>i thought I was playing a Mother game, not fucking Live A Live
How pleasantly surprising, since Live A Live is better than Mother 1 and 2

I only ever finished the scifi chapter.
Maybe I made a mistake in playing it first since it had no battles except for the boss I thought all chapters would be like that
Started another chapter saw the battles and nope Im out.
The scifi ep was ok but not good enough and too short in my opinion to warrant me playing more with random enemies on top

This game reminds me of Studio Ghibli movies

Cool dungeons and fun battle systems are paramount in good JRPGs. Interesting towns and side quests are a nice bonus, too, but the Mother series doesn't really have those.

By the way the translation of 2 is pretty bad if you want to understand the story properly, no wonder people thought gygas is a literal fetus at the end of 2, the localizers sure had fun with that game.

>Intentionally speading hate on the best game out of the series.

Did you just come back from the Undertale thread, user?

I agree the design of dungeons isnt great
But the locales, story, music and overall atmosphere more than makes up for it, its what I enjoy most in JRPGs, but I love DQ so what do I know right

DQ and FF are polar opposites in terms of downfalls over the years. DQ is too conservative for its own good and has stagnated because of that (not counting spinoffs). Meanwhile, FF tried to reinvent the wheel way too many times and has plunged itself into self-identity limbo.

I don't like mother 3 at all. Don't understand how anyone can prefer it other than that obnoxious timing mini game that shows up during every attack

>for its own good
I disagree, the series is just as popular as ever with 9 being the best selling game in the series and all, Im glad it didnt try to change to accommodate western tastes.
Havent played FF since X I might pick up XV.

I'm talking game design, not popularity. DQ has been super behind when it comes to getting rid of dated interface quirks and making some well-needed quality of life improvements. I would also say it's kind of creatively stagnant, but considering its target appeal I don't think that's unintentional.

>implying
Game has actual characters,tell an actual story and improved the gameplay.sure its not a globetrotter but it's at the very least as good.

one of the worst baits I've seen in a while.

Game design, well DQ has its basics down and each game keeps adding stuff, Im convince 11 will have every feature of 10 and more, you will be amazed. Or people that like DQ at least.

You have a point about the interface and yes thats 100% intentional but why change it if its perfectly functional? I dont see how its outdated in any way, you go in the menu and equip stuff or use items, why change for the sake of it if your selling point is not appearing modern and it does not even make for a good game if you "updated" them
Funny thing about that the western version of DQ8 "modernized" its menus and all it did is that they are slow and clunky to navigate compared to the pure text one of the jap version, but hey they look nicer right

Something like Mario rpg is ok because it's interactive but not extremely repetitive.

But it isn't.

>care for minor details
Like this lovingly animated vomiting animation

Wow that actually looks really good

Si has anyone bothered to retranslate Mother 2? Because apparently Earthbound killed all the "plot"??

People would complain the text is too dry and not quirky enough.
Why bother?
Biggest thing you missed are M1references that make gygas story complete but again its never on your face things anyway, very subtle so most people wouldn even notice, only huge M1 fans/fans of the aliens story.
There are almost no M1 fans in the west so its too much effort for an audience that isnt there

People actually like these games? Lmao???