Dungeon crawlers aren't real RPGs

>Dungeon crawlers aren't real RPGs

Is Cred Forums stupid enough to agree with this statement?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/id/PresidentSkele/recommended/428880
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Grimrock comes out
>gaming media goes nuts, constantly talks about how unique it is
>Grimrock 2 comes out
>Game is a straight upgrade in all categories, basically 10/10
>Casual shits that bought the first one never finished, so they don't buy the second
>media no longer cares and draws in casuals
>sells worse than the first game even though it is just straight-up better than it

Grimrock 3 never?

Better question

Grimrock 2 didn't deserve this fate.

Grimrock 2 isn't that much of an upgrade, and I prefer the aesthetic and design of Grimrock 1 better.

It's like how people claim Diablo 2 is such a great game, when I think Diablo 1 is the better game due to its atmosphere and setting.

Most don't have any actual roleplaying. They just use RPG elements like stats and leveling. This doesn't make them bad games.

The first game has been 1$ in multiple humble bundles, while the sequel has yet to go under 10bux.

left side:
>fun
>connects you with your inner child
>easy to pick up and play
>always enjoyable
right:
>for autistic tryhards
>overcompensating
>still in essence, a tricycle
>requires more maintenance than it's worth

Seems about right.

>pirated grimrock 2 initially
>after 5 hours deleted it and bought the game for full price
>played the fuck out of it multiple times
i consider it to be one of the best dungeon crawlers in existence
if only someone did a good, big balance fan patch to fix some balance issues

No RPGs have "any actual roleplaying". Picking from a list of preset dialogue choices for preset responses is nothing like actually playing tabletop. Closest you can get is LARPing in Neverwinter Nights with a DM.

In the context of computer roleplaying games, they very much are RPGs. You can't pretend a genre wasn't actually a thing for 20 years until Fallout came out or whatever.

If any of you guys own a Vita, Dungeon Travelers 2 is an excellent DRPG.

There's a surprisingly large amount of decent to good RPGs on mobile platforms. The Quest is pretty fun.

Haven't tried any mobile ones yet. Played DT2 and Demon Gaze on Vita.

>tfw guns are shit

Reminder that only literal cuckolds hate Ultima 8

RPG's originated from a half-assed attempt to port DnD into vidya form by greasy autistic programmers in their basement.

They were nothing but clunky fuckfests where you kill monsters for no reason. RPG's in the modern sense, games where you really have choices which change the way game is played, those became a thing only in late 90's.

>humans are useless
>1h weapons are shit

no

The Quest isn't just on mobile phones and I highly recommend it:

steamcommunity.com/id/PresidentSkele/recommended/428880

The entire Ultima series are fucking shite, people love it only because there was nothing else. And while i understand why people would like the 4-7 Ultimas, the one on your pic came out at the time when it was unacceptable to have controls, graphics and interface that shitty. It's literally the game on which the franchise died.

>the one on your pic came out at the time when it was unacceptable to have controls, graphics and interface that shitty

kys you no taste cuckold

>Gain the ability to 1 hand 2h weapons
Seems fair

>the game on which the franchise died
>game proceeds to have a very successful MMO
>underworld sequel in the works

Fun fact: Crusader: No Remorse used Ultima's engine, hence why it had one of the worst controls in gaming at the time. I really wonder what Richard "Lord Egomaniac" was thinking when he came up with that turd. Ultima's control scheme feels like it was developed with controller in mind, despite being PC series.

>bought and beat the cube
>gameplay was unsatisfying strafe-fest
>don't buy the second

Grimrock 2 was literally 10/10 fuck, I want to support this devs

I cry every night. LoG is my absolute favorite game. I put 10 hours in one sitting only getting up for food my first weekend playing that game. I understand why but I was still in disbelief when I heard how poorly LoG2 sold

Grimrock 2 was worse than the 1st one, so nah.

fuck you, you're wrong riddles and puzzles are way more clever and those unlinear level desings

Thats just objectivuly inccorect.

The Quest is nostalgia driven indie shovelware in it's purest form. To anyone wondering, don't waste your time on it.

Grimrock 1 was a descent into hell

It was lonely and atmospheric

Grimrock 2's island setting puts me to sleep. The lack of NPCs also is a sign of how poor of a sequel it is.

It's better than the shit rehash Grimrock 2 is doe

I bet you are those faggots who cry that they want more in every single sequel. The type of crowd who kill GTA, Gothic and TES franchises with their ridiculous quantity over quality shitposting.

1st Grimrock kept you fascinated with "how do i get out of here, and what the fuck is happening" feel.

2nd one is empty, and you just yawn wondering, why on Earth am i doing it? There is no motivation, and respawning enemies with shitloads of backtracking only makes it worse.

I enjoyed how focused Grimrock 1 was, I feel that Grimrock 2 lost a bit of its charm by not focusing on being a single, continuous dungeon.

Never picked up this game series, but this thread is convincing me to
I don't really like dungeon crawlers but I might give this a go I suppose

Grimrock 2 is a rehash, but a decent one, like Doom II compared to the original. The Quest is like a piece of trashy no name literature from your local library.

Not really. It's quite different from traditional grid based RPGs and has a lot of neat stuff like the card game, quests with multiple solutions, and an open map.

Grimrock 2 is just a bad sequel anyway you slice it. I spent SO long trying to escape the dungeon in Grimrock 1 and what's my reward?

A LONELY ISLAND WITH NO NPCS TO TALK TO?

Grimrock 1 didn't have NPCs because of a budget thing, which I respect because they used the right setting. Grimrock 2 doesn't have NPCs because... ???

Grimrock 2 didn't scratch my itch. The Quest did, so it wins.

Games are worth playing only if:

1) Story takes your attention (or dialogues at least)
2) Gameplay is fun (like combat etc)
3) There is creativity involved (mods\building)

The Quest features none of it.

JUST

How old are you?

Old enough to say Myron is the best character in Fallout 2

legend of grimrock starts really fun, but get's really fucking boring in the last ~third/quarter of the game.

basically you already got the best weapons, except for 1 or 2 of them, you learned the most useful spells (mainly fire ones) and the enemies just keep on repeating themselves without even an attack, hp or def buff so you literally obliterate them.

i really wanted the fun to last a bit longer than it did.

Puzzles remain breddy good until the very last level, but the ending is really disappointing with that stupid conclusion to the story and dumb boss fight.

The magic system in Grimrock is really unsatisfying, which is a shame because the way to actually cast spells is very neat. I just wish it wasn't so gimped and unbalanced.

You're kinda supposed to get powerful at the end of an RPG

Ending was fine

What were you expecting? in b4 you say a cthulhu tentacle monster

This game did a great job of making feel like a filthy casual. I really enjoyed exploring the dungeons and finding secrets but the constant need for food and healing just turned me off.

Well ,thats what I was expecting yes, that's what everything seemed to build towards. Why exactly was that a bad expectation to have ?

Because you're the only survivors of a shipwreck on a deserted island among the ruins of an ancient civilization with only a murderous sorcerer as your company? Why would you want NPCs in this game anyway? It would kill the feeling of loneliness throughout the game.

I can't speak for Grimrock 1 but I was always swimming in food in 2.

>roleplaying is picking from pre-defined dialogue choices
no nigga us your imagination
they are doing something

In Grimrock 2 you can fish in the rivers via dropping into the rivers and grabbing the fish right out of the water, so food is absolutely not a problem, there's an infinite supply. It's been awhile since I played 1 but I remember backtracking to the first few floors and picking up shitloads of snail meat from the respawning snails, since they absolutely shower you in food when you're first beginning to ease you in.

But Grimrock 1 already did the lonely thing. 10/10 immersive loneliness, actually

Grimrock 2 doing the same thing wasn't cool, and I wanted to feel like I had escaped the dungeon.

The Quest is the real Grimrock 2

I never got into Grimrock 1. Should I still give Grimrock 2 a shot?

I did not know you could farm the snails.

And I haven't played much of grimlock 2.

Is there a dungeons delve game where there's more focus on exploration and combat and less on survival?

I remember playing Ultima underworld as a kid and enjoying it.

You're not the same group of prisoners. Do you also get mad when every Elder Scrolls game starts you back in prison again? Besides, 2 does do a very different thing, just because there aren't NPC's doesn't mean it's retreading old ground.

Sure. There's no real continuity between them, no shared story or anything. And Grimrock 2 is mechanically a lot better. Some people like the atmosphere of 1 more, but that's a personal thing and it's the only thing it potentially has over the sequel.

Nigga I like the Quest but it's not like Grimrock in any way. It's more like single character Might and Magic.

>A LONELY ISLAND WITH NO NPCS TO TALK TO?
>what's a deserted island?

By the way, the main characters from 1 and 2 are two completely different groups.

don't know in log1 but in 2 you so much food that you constantly got burdened status just because of it, and healing really isn't a problem if you invest just ONE(1) point into alchemy so you can use the red shrooms to make potions and you'll always have around 6 potions for each character and around 30 shrooms just in case.

also you can quick save abuse.

>Grimrock 2 didn't scratch my itch. The Quest did, so it wins.

That itch must have been ten miles up your faggot ass.

I wanted to feel the sense of accomplishment of escaping.

Show me the world I couldn't see in Grimrock 1. That's kind of the point of a sequel.

The Quest is like Grimrock 1 because I enjoyed it, and made my character one of the escapees.

>1)Subjecive
>2)More subjective
>3)The MOST subjective, I don't think there is a single sane, reasonable human being who shares this opinion.

Fucking leave, whether you're serious or not, people like you are the worst kind of humans.
Literally the cancer killing video games

Yes.

Because its true.
Point and click fps games

Oh and The Quest is getting editor tools for custom campaigns.

But then it also wouldn't be Grimrock because the game's about escaping from a place you're trapped, whether it's a deep sungeon or a deserted island. If you got what you're asking for, you'd still complain about it not nailing the atmosphere of the first because you're not trapped.

>find dragonbreath gun
>high damage
>1.5 sec cooldown
>HOLY SHIEET I'M SO TOTALLY GOING TO PUT POINTS INTO FIREAMRS (after wasting a lot of points making a throwing accuracy critical character)
>invest one point into firearms and instantly regret it since guns are shit

>beat rat boss and get giant fucking cannon
>HOLY SHIEET I'M SO TOTALLY GOING TO PUT POINTS INTO FIREAMRS
>invest one point and realise that it doesn't use normal bullets and remember that guns are shit

Will try out LoG2 and remember to drop a point in alchemy.

Can you collect skulls for the minotaur like in 1?

How do I beat the boss of the catacombs in LoG2? The skeleton guy that summons the zombies.

>Grimrock 2 doesn't have NPCs because... ???
It was a deserted island filled with man-eating monsters. That's the first thing you learn in the game.

Very mature

You're retarded

But no seriously, why was Grimrock 2 so bad?

You're wrong. First of all, the point of a sequel is not to necessarily be a direct follow up to the previous game. The point is to establish it as a part of a series. Secondly, you are in fact exploring the world you couldn't see in the original. You would know this if you actually played it.

>35 minutes played
>thinks he knows the entire game

I think that's a record time for how quickly a single post has made me discard so many opinions at once.

>Secondly, you are in fact exploring the world you couldn't see in the original.

Great. So where are the towns? Cities?

Where are the people?

How do the races intermingle?

Nothing is answered in Grimrock 2. You would know that if YOU played that.

>0.6 hours on grimrock 2
>talking shit about it

Why was that the thing that interested you about Grimsock 2? How is it even possible to be sucked in by a story that literally doesn't exist?

You're looking for a story in a game that doesn't have one.

You're the type of faggot who would have told Bethesda they should have made Arena 2 instead of Daggerfall.

>Bethesda. Don't make an ambitious sequel to Arena. That would cost too much money!

Dungeon crawling is nice, but give me something more in a sequel. Grimrock 2 sucks for that very reason.

You're the broader audience that ruined so many franchises. Fuck off.

The giant cannon is pretty useful actually, at least for the final boss. It's not the best in the game or anything, but firearms aren't THAT bad, they're better than non-fire magic anyway. I had my ratgirl spend most of her time making and administering all the potions and sucking the other prisoners off so it wasn't a big deal to have her popping off only the occasional shots against the common mooks, and it paid off when she was firing off huge damage in the last fight.

So what, did you just go into each game and not take any story out of it aside from the opening and ending cutscenes? How about instead of expecting the story to be handed to you on a silver platter you actually take a minute and look into the details you jackass.

Daggerfall is literally better than Arena in everyway, so eat shit lmao

At least Grimrock 1 is actually better than its sequel.

but Daggerfall lacks any sort of uniqueness. You sacrifice depth of width if you attempted to give Grimlock the TES treatment.

>but Daggerfall lacks any sort of uniqueness
>Daggerfall
>Lacks any uniqueness

What the fuck are you talking about?

But Grimrock 1 already did that

And 2 did it better, which is what a sequel is supposed to do.

Are there any good dungeon crawlers besides Grimrock?

I know of The Dark Spire but that's about it.

You going to try to refute, or just shitpost?

Daggerfall is shit though

Etrian Odyssey if you don't mind the Japanese character designs and turn-based combat.

Dungeon Master, Wizardry series, Might and Magic series, Ultima Underworlds, Dark Heart of Uukrul, Eye of the Beholder series.

So they did the same text note delivery thing they did in Grimrock 1

Wow

It's like Kev Levine bragging about fucking audio logs in Bioshock

GRIMROCK 3 WHEN

yes
if you want something like grimrock (realtime combat and puzzles) play dungeon master, eye of the beholder series, lands of lore, anvil of dawn
wizardry, the dark spire retro mode is identical wizardry 1-5 (every jrp has it's roots in this series some borrow from it more than others)
might and magic
ultima in particular underworld and arx fatalis

>Oh and The Quest is getting editor tools for custom campaigns.

looks like i will never need another video game as long as I live

god damn the quest is so fucking good

I dont remember, but if you go full rat alch you get perma-stat potions out the ass

I gave my rat alchemist a gun so his skill points could go elsewhere, he cannoned the shit out of everything

You're on Cred Forums. No one here has played anything before fallout 3

>he doesn't remember the oblivion with guns meme

Oblivion with guns was Far Cry 3.

Are you joking? I was one of the people who hated how all the casuals were eating Oblivion up as if it were the best game ever made. Fallout 3 was no different to me but I never liked the humor in Fallout anyway, I prefer my rpgs to take themselves seriously

Where are my first person blobbers with free movement?

Dungeon Crawlers are awesome. I've been on a huge oldschool grid based dungeon crawler kick and it's been one of the most satisfying things I've done in a long time.

There is so much that modern RPGs have forgotten that these games have in spades.

>The way that all the spaces are designed for gameplay instead of aesthetics.
>Thoughtful and intricate level design with unique gameplay hooks and mechanics for each floor of the dungeon.
>Actual puzzles and riddles that need to be worked through in order to progress.
>Turn based combat that can be deep and tactical.
>Rolling and developing a whole party, and playing them through multiple games in a series.
>The feeling of being completely lost and overwhelmed, and slowly overcoming those as you fight through a dungeon.
>Drawing your own grid maps. I understand this is divisive, but I really recommend trying it just once.
>The feeling of playing through someone's pen and paper campaign, filled with the creators personality and design, that just happens to be on a computer.

Give me one of these brutal, descent into hell and back dungeon raids any day over the painfully shallow, boring, designed by committee "you are the chosen one" huge and empty overworlds we see now from RPGs.

Also Grimrock 1 and 2 are fucking awesome. Play both of them.

Check out the Avernum series.