Few questions for a new pc build

Building a new pc soon and im stuck on which mobo to get...

First off, im thinking hard of getting the Asus viii formula. (Pic related)
The reason i wanted this was because it has internal wifi.

Im planning on using a gtx 1080 seahawk. Maybe add a 2nd one later.

Can someone tell me if this motherboard is worth it? It looks really nice, and its supposed to have a top of the line integrated sound card.

Or would i be better off buying a pcie sound card and wifi adapter, as well as a cheaper motherboard.

My other question would be. Would a sound card and a wifi adaoter take up pci lanes from the mobo or from the cpu?

Forgot to mention this is my first time building a pc, and i have a budget of about $3k. So im trying to make it nice.

Any tips on how to go with this would be nice. Thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

logicalincrements.com/
pcpartpicker.com/product/9YH48d/msi-motherboard-z170axpowergamingtitaniumedition
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The board, processor, ram and GPU are the computer's skeleton, muscles and nervous system. Don't choose cheap components or they'll bottleneck the others.
Don't buy a soundcard; boards have integrated sound.

wifi doesnt really matter since you should be connecting your pc through Ethernet

logicalincrements.com/

Love, Cred Forums.

1. Never skimp on the motherboard.
2. Even the lowliest motherboards have passable on board sound.
3. wifi dongles are cheap

Would connect via ethernet but my router is downstairs and im planning on having my pc in my room (upstairs).

Would it be ok to use a 50 ft ethernet cable? Would i be getting the same speeds? Or is there a different way?

wifi dongles are cheap but ugly and shitty
a pci wifi card will take up that tiny slot between the CPU and the first PCI-E for graphics cards
if you think your gpu is gonna be obstructing that then it could be a problem
if you want something to stick out of your pc at all times and take up a usb slot then thats on you

>3k budget
>writing style
Does Mommy know you got her credit card?

You can use up to 300ft for ethernet and still get stronger signal than wifi. Wifi isn't bad anymore but if you play online games getting booted because of wifi is fucking gay. Just run some ethernet through the walls and install wall-jacks like a fucking man.

pcpartpicker.com/product/9YH48d/msi-motherboard-z170axpowergamingtitaniumedition

This is what i'm planning on getting. I've heard the bios on the asus boards is pure fucking cancer and stable overclocks are annoying to achieve. You are planning on overclocking right? Why else would you get a fucking formula8?

Im also having trouble finding a proper case and power supply. I decided upon the Corsair graphine 780t and maybe a corsair 850w platinum, but still looking to see if theres anything better. Im going to be using the gtx 1080 seahawk and one of corsairs cpu liquid coolers, so im going to be having 2 radiators.

Any advice on the psu and case?

This is in my top 5 cases right now.

This one is also really great.

>Corsair graphine 780t
That is the butt-ugliest case i've seen in a while. Are you 14?

Never buy a sound card in the pci slot, always get external one with usb or w/e, it will always be better than mobo or pci sound

Whatever you decide psu wise make sure it's modular ffs.

Back in the old days you needed a sound card, but nowadays its not necessary. Unless you have some $500+ headphones, are an audiophile, or into music production, on board audio has come a long way and you'll be fine with it.

My 2 cents, you won't need a 2nd 1080 for at least a year or 2, go for a cheaper motherboard and buy a USB wifi dongle ($10-30) or a pci wifi board (again, $10-30).
Use the saved money on a corsair liquid cpu cooler if you plan on overclocking at all.

EVGA G2 for PSU

ask Cred Forums you fucking newfag

When he's asking these things on Cred Forums I don't think he'll be doing the research how to overclock or even knows what it is.

I actually meant to post on Cred Forums.

Sorry Cred Forums

Never choose form over function unless that's just what you like.

The motherboard is fine though it's purely gamer bait and the integrated sound is most likely just the everyday realtek HD audio solution. There's nothing wrong with it. I personally have a dedicated sound card but that's only because it powers a sound system. Onboard should be just fine for your purposes.

The PCIe slots are pretty much just for video cards so you don't have to worry about wifi or sound adapters taking up those spots. They go into the much smaller slots.

>trust Cred Forums
You will be amaze how good videogame threads exist outside Cred Forums, even Cred Forums.

I don't understand why people put gaudy plastic shrouds on their mobo, For the same price I could buy two 120mm slim fans. 98% of high end mobos don't need shrouds

this thread doesn't belong on Cred Forums
Go find or make your own pc builder thread on Cred Forums. The maximus viii is good for a mobo, i actually wish i got it but my Z170 is fine.
Don't get a sound card it's a meme. Do buy a good wifi network adapter. They are very cheap and yes they take up a slot but it'll be better than your mobos internal wifi.

>Any advice on the psu and case?

Phanteks Enthoo Primo is an amazing case.
PSU I'd get a Corasair ax series

I don't really understand what motherboards do, beyond providing a central hub to connect all your parts to. Is there any reason to upgrade your mobo if all your other components are compatible with it?

if you want SLI or Crossfire in the future you need at least two PCI-e slots. Also newer motherboards have things like m.2 which lets you have faster SSD speeds than SATA. Another factor is whether your mobo is unlocked or locked. If you are interested in overclocking you need to make sure both your motherboard and CPU are capable of doing so

So, assuming your motherboard has all the features you want, there's no reason to upgrade it, unless you're upgrading something else?

Basically yeah, the only time you need to upgrade your mobo is when you upgrade your CPU. The motherboard is the most annoying part of a PC to replace therefore it's the part you want to last the longest.

If a CPU isn't the right slot for your Motherboard, you have to upgrade, regardless.

CPUs are not a one form-factor fits all type of implement.

Don't get Jewed into buying overpriced Gamerâ„¢ crap like that, it's the equivalent of FATAL1TY endorsed Gamer Fuelâ„¢.

Ayyy youre a cool guy

I'm quickly falling in love with Corsair's 460X.

Yeah, I'm 99% certain my mobo is fried on my computer, and I'm dreading replacing it. I can't get the fucking 24-pin connector out.

>not wanting to style a bit
If you have the money, why not?

This seems like an appropriate thread to ask:

Can anyone recommend me a good desk?

no because nobody knows how much room you have, how much storage you want/need, whether or not a glass surface is a viable option for you etc.

>change motherboard
>now windows wont stop fucking bugging me

Huh?

Stop being an autist and just recommend one. If any of that were an issue I'd specify it.

>desktop computer
>wifi
???????????

If you install a new motherboard microsoft will take away your windows license

Fuck, I need to replace my motherboard, too. I don't even remember how to pirate windows anymore, I haven't had to do it in years.

just go to a fucking office supply store and buy one that you like god damn

Its shit bro, all you can really do is contact microsoft and hope for the best.

ASUS ROG Rampage V Edition 10

I pick my motherboards based on their power systems concerning the cpu. Cheap ones have less robust systems than more expensive ones. But after a certain price point you hit diminishing returns and the higher cost is often bullshit fluff like uranium plated sound holes.

Intel Core i7 6950X Extreme Edition

>gaming lighting
>on a fucking motherboard
this is like $500 right

Corsair Hydro Series H115i 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD128GX4M8A2666C15 (8x16GB) DDR4

Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD64GX4M4B3466C16 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4**

how much of a difference is there between a 1070 and a 1080 if i plan on staying with a 1080p monitor for the foreseeable future

Aerocool Thunder X3 TGC31 Gaming Chair Black

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Water Cooling 8GB

even a 1070 is overkill

Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC 140mm 3000RPM PWM Fan

What's a good ATX PSU for a storage server?

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold 1300W Power Supply

if you're going for a higher end pc build, dont skimp out on the MOBO, just get the one with all the bells and whistles and you should be fine

Audio-Technica ATH-W5000 Dynamic Wooden Headphones

First of all you should be using ethernet, you will dread wifi once you go ethernet cable. Also don't buy a MOBO just because it has built in wifi, Don't spend more than $80 on a MOBO.

I know you have $3K, but save some for games and other shit. Also don't be a fag that needs a fancy case with LED's and a GPU with LED's and other stupid features. Not saying you have to get a cheapo $25-30 case, but stay away from anything over $50, it's just wasting money.

Sound cards are completely useless nowadays, onboard audio is fine in ANY MOBO today.

Since your budget is $3k I'd say go with a good rated 80+ cert. 800w or higher PSU, get a mid tower case for around $30-40, whichever looks best to you, get a 2TB or 4TB HDD and a 250gb SSD.

Get your GTX 1080, an i7-6700K, 16gb DDR4 (mhz doesn't really matter too much in gaming with an i7, might as well get whatever is cheap with good ratings, anything over 3000mhz is overkill and a waste), get a blu-ray / DVD drive, and that's pretty much it.

ASUS PG348Q ROG Swift 34in 100Hz G-Sync IPS Gaming Monitor

waste of money, power draw on the 1080 is low as fuck, even considering overclocking, only assholes get PSU's over 800-900w. They'd only be practical if you are an impractical jackass trying to max overclock an FX CPU and an RX 290 or any other power hog CPU+GPU combo.

Samsung 850 Pro 2TB SSD

the guys obviously just posting some of the most expensive stuff he can find for no reason

Sleeved Cable Extension Kit Rainbow

why does everything "gaming" branded have to be so fucking ugly

Because that just makes you a nigger with no class or taste. Most of the "Gamer" crap out there is just gaudy shit.

If you have no class, style, or taste, and have disposable income, by all means, by crap. Everyone else should buy on performance first, then some aesthetics.

This is an excellent example of being a nig. I'm sure 99% of the people who buy this are going to be playing Rocket League or Hearthstone and pretending they're 1337 hackers because they have a monitor set vertically.