Are games art?

Are games art?

No.

Yes.

Maybe.

I don't know.

I think videogames can definitely be art and you'd have to be a literal retarded person to think otherwise. A videogame has the capacity to express the same ideas as any painting just as well or infinitely better. If you can't wrap your mind and around that simple fact of life then you can at least admit that film and acting isn't art either then

No.
>art is the expression of ideas
Please sit down.

>art isn't the expression of ideas

Please stand up, and get the fuck out

You do realize that the majority of high art that we recognize as such were commission works done for nobles, kings, barons, emperors, and others of the upper class correct?

Most of them don't have any kind of "expression of ideas" yet due to the impeccable technique and ability of those creators, their sheer talent as creators, those works are considered great works of art.

The feelings that people get, the meaning they ascribe to it, the "expression of ideas" that you believe in, they all exist simply because the artists were just that good. The experimented with texture, patterns, lighting, tone, all to capture something, but none of it was some kind of expression of philosophy. Those kinds of works don't exist until the 19th and 20th century and that is the era where you see that actual ability of painters plummet.

There are no creators alive that could achieve the same feats as Michelangelo or Rembrandt, especially not in video games.

Not all art is great art, you dumbass. Art is about subjectivity. You're a philistine.

Can you repeat the question?

And you're incompetent, trying to latch yourself onto people far greater than you in ability by lowering the bar so much that your stubby little nubs of finger paint can be measured against the all time greats.

Subjectivity is a cop out used by hipsters to push bad works,

Well if art is about loss and I keep losing then...I'm art?

>art is the expression of ideas

Please stand up, and run into fast moving car traffic.

Art is simply the appreciation of craft beyond the utilitarian. Nothing more, nothing less, though there are obviously a myriad of ways to go around doing that.
Pic related, art. Now, is it good art? Is it high art? Or is it just an overly expensive and concentrated fart? Those, and more questions are put to the judgment of the beholder, not some concrete objective standard. This goes for all but everything man made, from buildings to shoes to paintings to ornaments to games, and what have you.

Not, I dont think videogames are art
But that doesnt mean a videogame cant have a gorgeous visuals, amazing orchestral soundtrack and extraordinary story

No, you're a fucking idiot. You don't even see the logical fallacy that you comitted in your original response because you're so dumb. Take a fucking logic class and come back and read your post again. It's not even worth arguing with you because you're like a small child who doesn't understand the meaning of words, so meaningful communication is impossible. Fuck you.

The irony of your statement is lost unto you.

They are literally made out of art mediums.

Games contain music, writing, and colored images all in one.

But what about the interaction between those assets and the player? Is that art?

I have a relative that has several works of art in a state museum and has made a career from art, and I've asked him before what he defines as art and if video games are considered art.

He told me that his definition of art is basically anything that spurs the manipulation of the imagination beyond basic utilitarian/survivalist means. He said that all video games were definitely art, but he had never seen a game that he would consider to be good art.

No, but this is art.

The word art is art.

This post is art

gee a pure intrinsic experience which can only be achieved through the expression of paint on canvas, one which calls attention to the medium and impacts the viewer on an immediately visceral level sure isn't artistic.

But it's shit.

>i don't think it's shit
Then you're wrong.

What is art?