Whats the deal with Arma and Operation Flashpoint? Are they the same series of games by different names or what

Whats the deal with Arma and Operation Flashpoint? Are they the same series of games by different names or what

>games

Military simulators

americas army is fun

Operation Flashpoint IP rights are held by Codemonkeys, so its developer, Bohemia Interactive, decided to continue the series spiritually as Armed Assault, often shortened to Arma. Codemonkeys, in turn, managed to destroy the Operation Flashpoint brand by making CoD clones.

Technically yes, Bohemia lost the rights to Operation Flashpoint to Codemasters so they named it Arma instead. Shit the steam version of original OF is called Arma Cold war Assault or something.

Also some stuff has changed but if you play the games you'll notice a lot of similarities

More or less, codemaster kept the Operation Flashpoint IP while bohemia kept making the same game for 15 years, they rereleased the original operation flashpoint as arma: cold war assault.

Dragon Rising wasn't a CoD clone desu, just a semi realistic 'open world' shooter

theyre like Story of Seasons and Harwest Moon

They were games made by the same developers of Arma, before they split and Flashpoint went GFWL.

Let just say Red River is unplayable unless you want to finish the game nonstop for one day.

protip you can still find GFWL installer and make an offline account to play the games on it

Unless red river is a special case and I'm missing something

dark souls and demon souls?

theyre both on steam.

why is RR unplayable?

i remember hearing good things about dragon rising

They're the same shit with different packaging that doesn't hold a candle to the old ghost recon or R6.

wasnt it the same deal with Far Cry and Crysis?

Crytek made a tech demo with the cryengine then said "hey lets make it a game i guess" and we got Far Cry. Then ubisoft took over Far Cry from 2, whereas Crytek went off and started the Crysis series.

before learning that, i recently by complete chance played FC1 and Crysis back to back. I was like "wait this is like the same shit" along with being surprised to see the crytek/cryengine logo on Far Cry

>comparing milsims to mediocre tactical shooters
look at this spastic

why arent they as good?

just played the first GR, but 2 i dont know if i'll play since its not on pc (if it wasnt obvious im the op of that thread too)

what the fuck, why would you compare these?

dragon rising had so much potential

but SP campaign was literally unfinished garbage

actually unfinished? why is it bad?

>Military simulators

Games

Arma is pretty much a watered down version of the worst parts of VBS (which is a simulation). It's arcady and you feel the stripped down features.

That does not have to be a bad thing especially since in some situations you have to value a better gameplay over realism. For example; there wouldn't be a point to simulate ABS in a vehicle in Arma - like in VBS.