The Advertising Standards Authority is finally investigating no man sky

The Advertising Standards Authority is finally investigating no man sky

Hopefully now it will finally be removed from steam

Other urls found in this thread:

eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-28-advertising-standards-launches-investigation-into-no-mans-sky
youtube.com/watch?v=A8P2CZg3sJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A
no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/what-do-you-do-in-no-mans-sky/
store.steampowered.com/earlyaccessfaq/
youtu.be/ZqeN6hj4dZU?t=5m40s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Link here
>eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-28-advertising-standards-launches-investigation-into-no-mans-sky

im still so annoyed i paid money for this and steam wont give me a refund

Not defending them, but they're a small company.
Fromsoft has done it, Ubisoft does it every single fucking year and yet no one cares.

Not to the extent they did

>Sean "This game has multiplayer!"
>Game has no multiplayer

i care

i bought a $60 game of walk around and shoot rocks and steam wont refund me because it took me over 2 hours to realise it was nothing more then that

and they literally sold it as an mmo and it was a single player walking sim

Guaran fucking damn tee they aren't going find shit. You meme loving fucks blew this up, not them.

i didnt sell people an mmo charge them full price then deliver nothing

>Sony
>Small company
Wew

The ride never ends

Hopefully it'll curb the false advertising trend in vidya entirely

>Sony developed the game
They only partially funded it.
Sean was the guy advertising the game, even on national tv.

>the chances of you seeing someone else are almost non existent
>WHY CANT I PLAY WITH MY FRIENDS?!?

I hope that muffinland agency isn't filled with underage redditors like Cred Forums is.

>Hopefully now it will finally be removed from steam

They don't have the power to do that, all they can do is ask Valve to change the screenshots and trailer.

That's literally it.

lrn 2 self control and not buy games on day one

Games was viraled to hell and back, then to Madagascar Japan and Venus by people with almost no information and extremely short gameplay videos. There was literally no reason for any reasonable person to believe this game was as huge as Reddit thought it would be, had it not been for word of mouth.

>Cred Forums shills the fuck out of nu male's sky
>I-it will be great just w-watch!

Fast forward

>Game is shit!
>Walking simulator!
>Baaaawwww why did no one told me it was shit!

Holy shit this fucking place. It's like dealing with a woman on her period except this shit is every day.

>>the chances of you seeing someone else are almost non existent, IN OTHER WORDS THERE IS STILL A CHANCE
>literally confirmed false day 1

Hello Sean.

Middle schoolers are essentially menstruating women.

>doesn't understand the difference between tiny but existent odds and non-existent odds

I hope the people in charge are smarter than you at least

>>Cred Forums shills the fuck out of nu male's sky

Cred Forums shat on this game since pretty much day one user, are you getting us confused with /r/nomansskythegame again?

Keep crying. The game DOES have multiplayer.

> Game was viraled to hell and back
> by people with almost no information and extremely short gameplay videos.

This is Cred Forums's biggest problem. Now if only idiots would stop falling for this kind of shit.

It happened with Mighty No. 9 and OUYA.

This place is full of morons.

Both are right, because Cred Forums isn't one fucking person.
You're only seeing things from the point that validates your own point of view.
Grow the fuck up.

it took you more than 2 hours to realise it ? you deserve it. that was fucking obvious months before the release

Cred Forums's third problem: denial

Did Sean have a hard life?
Does he deserve all of this?

Are you having fun repeating this argument?

I was quoting what Sean said, the thing that most people point to as proof that he confirmed multiplayer. I'm not saying that is the case you fucking mong.
Second quote is the player complaint.

I am pointing out that your case for false advertisement is based on a lack of multiplayer, a feature that was only ever advertised with the follow up of "in most players cases this shit will not happen". It was never advertised as a primary selling point of the game and only viraled underage faggots thought otherwise.

Also
>packaging literally says single player

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Stockholm syndrome is a powerful thing. Sean Murray could have shit down throats while you've been tied to a chair and people would thank him

You haven't played it.

Yeah I haven't, I might get it if I know all the features.

Wow, it's almost like a whole bunch of people come here and they all have arguments and disagreements with each other or something.

I have. Now tell me about this multiplayer, please.

Yes, he deserves it all, fuck him. He's the classic psychopath. That thank you letter is even more disgusting because you know everything he says is fake as fuck marauding as genuine feelings

Like I said in
It was never pitched as a primary selling point. From the advertising they did, there was no reason for you to think this games multiplayer is what would make it worth buying. Also with the packaging saying single player you'd have to be a fucking retard to buy it for multiplayer. There is literally no case.

I find that most people who claim that this Game had false advertising just hyped themselves by reading what everyone assumed the game would be. I actually followed this game since it was announced and they barely ever outright talked about any of the features in the game and Sean was especially obscure about MP to the point that he never answered straight when someone asked him about it.

Id like to remind you guys that the $60 price tag was most likely not Hello Games idea, this was initially a indie game that Sony then swooped up. This is why I haven't bought it yet, the game was not made with a $60 price tag in mind.

What did you think you would be doing?
The trailers almost only showed walking around.

user, I know you're false flagging, but stop. You literally can't false flag anymore where there are videos like this, compiling Sean Murray lying about multiplayer on interviews multiple times

fucking kek

>proof that he confirmed multiplayer.
How is it NOT proof?
>This thing might happen
>WELL HE NEVER SAID IT WILL HAPPEN, HE TOTALLY WASN'T LYING
He has clearly stated multiple times that the game has multiplayer, which it does not. Therefore, it is false advertising.

>a feature that was only ever advertised with the follow up of "in most players cases this shit will not happen"
Still false advertising, because it will NEVER happen. He stated that there is even a slim chance of it happening, which by the way, it doesn't matter how slim the chance is, what matters is whether or not it happens at all. He said it could happen, it doesn't, so it's false advertising.

> It was never advertised as a primary selling point of the game and only viraled underage faggots thought otherwise.
Oh yeah, all those interviews and Colbert specials and Twitter posts means it's not a primary selling point at all.

>>packaging literally says single player
Sorry, no. You're wrong.

i was there day 1

i was exploring and looking for signs of life

there was none

Sean said multiple times (Colbert report interview for one) that the game had multiplayer.

>it's your fault you got lied to

Not him, but i really do understand your thinking. I never buy day one cause I'm a tight ass and wait for actual gameplay videos, and maybe a few first hand reviews.

That being said, if you defend this, you are the biggest consumerist bitch. Businesses need to be held accountable for blatant scams regardless if it's something we are "used to" or "should just expect".

>"The only time you will ever see what your player character looks like is by seeing someone else"
>NO, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MULTIPLAYER, HE NEVER SAID IT

It's DLC that you can only get if you shill 5 products on Cred Forums. I can tell you that the DLC is sure to leave a fresh taste in your mouth. Just like my Shotgun™ Mouthwash! It comes in three flavors: mint, chocolate, and gunpowder! Guaranteed to last more than 12 hours.

He said a lot of things would be in the game whilst in development. Other companies have done it and no would cares. All he needs to show was that these things were planned but never came to be, and nothing more will come of it.

He took this back months and months before release.

>hurr durr he said there's a slim chance that you would find other players, that means it's okay if there's actually no chance at all!
Okay.
A company holds a sweepstakes and sells lottery tickets. They say there is a small chance that someone will win. A million tickets are sold.
It is later revealed that there never were any winning tickets at all, so there was no chance that anyone would win.

This company would be sued into the ground. It's false advertising and fraud.

If you played it past the point of getting a refund and you regretted it then you're a retard.

I can't wait for the shitstorm whenever Sean does poke his head back up again. That is if he ever even comes back.

I'm not denying that he falsely claimed multiplayer would be in the game. I am saying that those claims made by him, given the context, are not enough to charge the company with false advertising.

Investigation over.

Baby crowd control tactics.

they lied to very last second

they knew very well that those links have nothing to do with game we got

You forgot
>ticket says "there is literally a 0% chance of you winning this."

False flag user, fucking stop it. Tired of your dumb shit.

>let's not punish them because other companies have made the same thing
I hate this reasoning, if something is wrong, it has to be punished.

We'll later see if other companies make something as impactful to the game as this. And if they do, it has to be punished too.

Not once has Sean outright denied the possibility of NMS having multiplayer.

>falsely advertise something
>yeah but it was developed by a bunch of nu-male cuckstains so given the context it wasn't actually false advertising

Nobody knew about that until after they had purchased the game. Sean lied in order to get preorders.

>No Man's Sky is forced to make new ads
>It shows mining rocks, flying around desolate planets, mining rocks, and putting retarded upright walking dinosaurs out of their misery.

>Epecially obscure

Some Guy - "so what does the player character look like.

Sean - "the only way to know is for someone to see you"

>no one can see you

Colbert - "so this is a massively multiplayer online game?"

Sean - "yeah"

Grow a pair of testicles people. Why would you in any way shape or form defend this shit.

You were lied to. We all were. Maybe you believed the lies. It's okay.

What Hello Games AAAAND Sony did was not okay. Anyone involved in this shot should be fired and fined for false asvertisement.

Alright. Sorry you didn't get to set up galactic trade federations with your friends.

Considering how you can see gameplay videos and reviews before buying the game thinking the game has multiplayer when its a singleplayer game is pretty retarded.

>game gets a $20 release on steam and nothing else.

I said this in the other thread but I'll repeat here.

This means fuck all. The ASA is not a body with much power. The absolute worst that will happen is they will slap Hello Games on the wrist and say don't make x claim again.

ASA don't do jack shit against things that gave already happened, they literally only look to see if a claim is inaccurate and then they'll say to not repeat whatever in future adverts.

Since Hello games does not currently advertise having multiplayer or anything else in dispute the ASA won't do anything. The fact they implied in the past is irrelevant to the ASA.

Fair enough.
I never liked the sound of that so I wrote the game off when I saw it.

Doesn't matter. Third party reviews have nothing to do with a company's claims about the product.

>nobody

I doubt the majority of buyers had this game pre-ordered before the tags got put on but if you want to make that argument alright. I really don't know how pre-orders work in that sense.

>Cred Forums is one person
Congratulations, you already made me mad. Can't you understand there can be different opinions on an image board?

Actually, there were a lot of people hoping the game was shit before its release.

Also, yes, there probably were people hyped for the game, and then saying it was shit, but you don't understand how dissapoinment works, the game promised a lot of things, and didn't deliver, it's not like people changed their mind, they just respond to the game not being what it promised to be.

>look up ASA

>it's some bongshit

>BONGS LITERALLY THINK THEY MATTER IN THIS WORLD

Tons of buyers never even saw the box. PC players were all getting digital downloads.

Nobody expects this to fiscally damage Hello Games or Sony. We just want Sean to be publicly mocked for his bullshit

Cred Forums is singular. user is not plural in the first place.

How many people do you think used this thai bricolage board? Cred Forums isn't one person.

>Since Hello games does not currently advertise having multiplayer or anything else in dispute the ASA won't do anything.

below the link of videos
>You guys – THAT IS WHAT YOU DO IN NO MAN’S SKY!

at least in colbert video game is reffered to as mmo

ASA works with Trading Standards which absolutely does have the authority to do shit. Maybe not take the game down from Steam, but they will be able to force them to remove any videos/trailers that show things not possible in the game i.e pretty much all of NMS' marketing material

>The ASA has the power to have advertisements it believes are in breach of its code of conduct withdrawn, and prevent them from appearing again. If an advertiser refuses to comply with an ASA ruling, it can impose sanctions, such as asking internet search websites to remove a marketer's paid-for search ads.

Sounds like at least a little more than just a slap on the wrist.

But it's not publicly mocking him? Literally every company gets 'investigated' by the ASA all the time for minor shit, I'm not even exaggerating, try and find a company which advertises often which has never had an ASA report put in.

It's literally a fat bowl of nothing that has been publicised to fuel fire for some easy hits from those clueless

He outright mentions there are multiplayer elements in interviews.

Not once does he correct them that it's not multiplayer, not once does he deny the claims for multiplayer.

It's obvious why people thought it would be multiplayer; because he said it was.
It may just be as simple as him being green as fuck in interviews and didn't want to make the game look bad but considering how much of a deception it was it's seen as a blatent lie.

Interview is an interview, if the steam page doesnt say THIS HAS MULTIPLAYER, MEET THOUSANDS WHILE PLAYING NMS then the consumer shouldnt think it has multiplayer.

>What do you do
>That first screenshot has a more charming look to it than NMS's final graphical quality

Christ this game is a failure

I call bollocks since almost every early access game does the same

No, but Anonymous is not a plural term. It is singular regardless of how many instances there are.

good i hope hello games and sean fuckwhit rot

Trading standards only steps in for mostly dangerous products actually.

Like I said the most that the ASA does is tell you not to do something in the future.

I don't believe any of their current marketing (interviews prior to game coming out isn't current advertising) that outright implies multiplayer or other missing features.

If there are any that are being currently used then yes, they will be told to remove them.

So, he can say that everyone that doesnt buy nms loves satan. Multiplayer elements refers to the fact player traces can be seen on planets.

see

The issue it seems comes down to the fact that there are many retards in this world.

store.steampowered.com/earlyaccessfaq/

it's not the same thing and you accept the risk of thinks changing a lot when buying EA title

this was marketed as finished and missing features were promised up to release day and now they are promising even more through updates (building bases etc)

No you jaded retard.

He says clear as day you can run into other players, they can see you and describe you.

Don't give me that horseshit multiplayer = leaderboards bullshit.

Well yeah if you refuse to comply.

They send you a letter to say what they think is misleading, all you do is remove reference from future ad. They don't care about things in the past, just so long as your future shit doesn't contain the same thing.

A lot of companies simply slightly change the phrasing which is still misleading and then wait for another ASA claim to tell them they can't do that as well.

You really got to try if you want the ASA to actually take action against you and they take literal months to do anything (and provide you with months to change after warning)

This, AHAHAHAHAH, it won't fucking matter in the slightest

let me help
youtu.be/ZqeN6hj4dZU?t=5m40s

this video is listed on no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/what-do-you-do-in-no-mans-sky/
published on 8th of august

Oh well alpha products are subject to changes.
Unless the steam page says "you can see other players and describe their appearance" when people are putting the money in its not a valid complaint.

if you watching embeded go to 5:40

>I worry about disappointing people

god i love derek smart

You're fucking retarded.
If this works (it won't) things will stay the same and big companies will keep doing their shady practices when it comes to advertising.
You faggots are pushing them under the car because you just want to see them burn (which they deserve) but you should be pushing the same way against bigger companies that rule the industry.

Fucking this.

Yeah........ it was........ the hype......

Again, how much does marketing screw people when you always have:
Reviews
Gameplay footage
User reviews
Seriously, how can you ever not know exactly what kind of game you're buying in 2016?

>It's okay for developers/publishers/people making the game to directly lie because we have reviews and gameplay footage

Insert some shitty analogy of me stealing your TV and it being okay because of security cameras

but they lied in all of those

>>you can see other players and describe their appearance
>Sean literally says this in a promotional video

Yes these instances DO fall under promotional material by ASA standards, so it is absolutely a valid complaint and one of many that will be investigated

The onus is not on the consumer to be aware of which claims a company makes are true and which are false. The onus is on the company not to make false claims about their product

Holy fucking shit stop shilling these videos ffs

>The ASA has the power to have advertisements it believes are in breach of its code of conduct withdrawn, and prevent them from appearing again.
So, remove interviews from game journo sites and youtube. Woooow.

>Hopefully now it will finally be removed from steam
The ASA has nothing to do with that.

The ASA, as the name suggests, is about advertising standards. If they find the advertising for the game to be misleading, they will remove that advertising. Nothing more.

They are not a government agency. The are not the 'product standards authority.' They are an advertising industry group dedicated and focussed on advertising.

'I guess the chances of running into other players is much smaller than promised!'
'At least that's ONE promise he decided to keep!'

Dohohohoho

That's because Cred Forums is a pack of shitters who don't know how to do anything besides discuss video games they haven't/don't know how to play

And they bomb hard at that too

>Make a false statement
>Get called out on it
>"Wow it's nothing"

For a lot of people those promo materials were the reason they bought NMS. I don't know if they are any more considering the glut of negative press it has, but preventing Sean's lies from spreading any further is better than nothing at least

>buying games

Then you get into a situation where no dev can talk at all about games that are still in developement because they might say the game has a feature that gets cut later in the dev cycle.

That's stupid.

Different user here.

1. That's not what the ASA is interested in. They're only interested in advertising, as in, promotional materials published by advertising companies.

2. It would be nice if devs and pubs kept their filthy lying whore mouths shut. But that's an entirely separate issue.

No matter how much people bitch and moan, Sean won't give up those millions he earned with this scam.

Britbongs and their ASA are literally irrelevant. Unless a class action suit will be filed against Sean on American soil, he'll get away with it and even if people get pissed enough to actually file a lawsuit, it will be settled out of court like pretty much all of such cases.

Sean already won when retards opened their wallets and paid him 60 bux for a walking simulator, there's nothing anyone can do about it now.

The ASA has no real power.

Why did people fall for his lies again?

>I feel sick writing this

What a coincidence, I feel sick reading it.

Define 'real power.' The ASA is a self-regulatory body consisting of advertising companies. They have removed many misleading adverts. That's literally their only purpose; to adjudicate on the veracity of published adverts and remove those they deem to be misleading. That's real power.

I assume you meant to say something like 'the ASA's power doesn't amount to much' or something similar, diminishing their function, and that's fair enough, we can argue whether their function is effective or meaningful or not, but in terms of the reality of their power, they absolutely have exactly the power required to fulfil their remit.

You can see what other players named their planets, this IS a form of multiplayer.

You're just mad you can't kill other players with your 12 y/o friends.

Not him, but ASA has no power to take away the money Sean has already earned, which is the only thing that matters. Nobody in their sane mind would buy NMS at this point regardless of whether or not Sean is allowed to advertise his shit game further.

>ASA has no power to take away the money Sean has already earned
That's outside their remit. The clue is in the name: advertising standards. Not 'profit redistribution.'

>this IS a form of multiplayer
kill yourself you fucking retard

They are little more than a rgulation body.

They have no authority to tell people to do someone, they can only strongly suggest with the promise that they will make life hard for companies that don't comply.

it can put pressure on steam and Sony and Sean Murray to clean up their act with threats of legal action though

So they're like the mafia?? Good. They're usually better at getting shit done than the police. Sean Murray will soon wear shoes for the first time in his life. Cement shoes!

I understand that Sean can lose the ability to advertise his game improperly and even have it removed from Steam as Valve's attempt to disassociate themselves from this whole fiasco, but the damage is already done, Sean has already pocketed and ran with the money, there's nothing anyone can do at this point to properly punish him.

The fucker is set for life even if no one will ever hire him for any position again.

>people could've used their butt hurt to have the ASA after KONAMI and MGSV

They can literally order advertising companies to remove adverts they find misleading.

Refusing to follow such an order immediately triggers legal action through OFT.

Their true power comes from the fact that they are made of companies in the industry they are regulating. They aren't just a regulatory body, they're a self-regulatory body, where it's in every companies interest to follow their orders, even ignoring the fact that legal action is just one step away from doing anything the ASA deems misleading.

That isn't true. The ASA has the explict power to confiscate any money earned from sale of the game as it is arguably the "proceeds of crime." They can even have him imprisoned if they find evidence of serious wrongdoing. Those are all lies but it would be nice wouldn't it.

>fulfil their remit.
kys

The ASA doesn't have that power, but they can refer the case to the OFT and from there whatever criminal investigation body that would deal with that sort of thing would become involved.

The ASA absolutely does not have the power to confiscate any money from anyone for any reason. The ASA absolutely cannot have anyone imprisoned for any reason. The ASA absolutely cannot remove your post for blatant lies even when admitting you're lying. The ASA is just NASA with out the N-words.

Aeronautics and Space Administration?

Anal Sex Applications

How much worse is his lying than Peter Molyneux or Todd Howard then?

I haven't played No Man's sky but it doesn't look to me like he lied more than those two and I don't remember advertising ever going after them.

I heard it's all sony's fault.

This ASA investigation was triggered by complaints. Presumably people didn't complain to the ASA about Molyneux spouting bullshit.

And note that the ASA doesn't care about the shit anyone spouts in interviews or anything. They only care about the advertising. I don't know if any NMS advertising incorporated fagface's lies so I don't know how the ASA might rule, but I do know that shit like interviews and tweets are irrelevant to the investigation.

Molyneux's lies on Cube/Godus will never meet their peer. He played us like sheep and the guy who won the lottery breaking the final cube never saw a penny from it.

>opposite-day Cred Forums trying to defend a shitty indie walking simulator procedurally generated "literally everything wrong with modern games"
Chanology was a mistake

>I'm not denying that he falsely claimed multiplayer would be in the game

Then what's the fucking problem you autist? Did you guys honestly have to go on a shitposts crusade when you're in agreement?

He lied. Ubisoft and EA might use bullshots and all that shit, but they always have some sort of disclaimer that says it's not representative of the final product.

Sean fucked up. He straight up LIED and that's enough. No need for a fucking discussion.

To be fair Todd's lies were more omissions and misrepresentations. I can't think of any time Todd has outright stated X would be in the game and then there was no X a la Molyneux or Sean

Cred Forums needs a constant supply of memes to draw on. It's what generates day to day conversation on this shitty board.
CrowbCat is the author of ebin Cred Forums maymays as it goes.

The ASA isn't an all-powerful body, at best they'll force Steam to remove the false ads.

Well he never said there'd be money for the "winner"

What he said was that something "amazing" would be there for the person who opened it.
In fairness the winner was offered to be god in the game but he didn't want to nor did it look like moly was going to deliver.

The whole thing was a hype generator. Not really a lie.

I just hope this turns into GamerGate2.0 and some group gets so autistically triggered that it turns into a huge shitflinging fight.

I guess a missing feature is a clear cut example of false advertising rather than just worse graphics, framerate or being full of bugs.

Unless Sean comes out as gay or transsexual how will this become Gamergate 2.0?

Can't watch the video, tl;dr me? I didn't really follow Beth games because they're universally broken pieces of shit

>According to the video that Henderson saw and 22cans posted on YouTube the day that the experiment ended, the contents inside of the cube included the ability to be the sole, all-powerful, digital god within 22cans' upcoming release of Godus and to reap a small portion of all of the incoming revenue that is brought in by the game.[18] However, as of January 2015, Henderson has received little to no contact with 22Cans, and in light of recent departures from the studio along with lasting issues with multiplayer, Henderson likely won't be able to collect any portion of the game at all, and once he does, it will only be for six months, or even less if another player overthrows him, who then will take portion of profits.[19][20] Speaking to The Guardian, Molyneux explained that the person in charge of keeping in contact with Henderson left the company and no one was ever reassigned the position, an act which Molyneux called "inexcusable"

Sean isn't Todd, user.

What now for Sean "left twitter in a hurry" Murray?

>i bought no mans sky

you sound like a retard.

Expansion pack for NMS with another 18 quintillion planets to explore.