Hey guys, I've got an old gaming PC and I want to upgrade it

Hey guys, I've got an old gaming PC and I want to upgrade it.

Thing is, I've never done it, so I don't really know what to buy and how to install it.
I think I need a new power supply to install a better graphics card, isn't that right? Mine is 260w.

What else would you get? budget would be like 400€.
Links to parts are welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

logicalincrements.com/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9PV4RN1191
pcpartpicker.com/list/6WfC8K
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/RvDTM8
pcpartpicker.com/list/nHnKqk
pcpartpicker.com/product/KFjG3C/amd-cpu-ad5300okhjbox
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bumpan

can it run Crysis?
my rig gets 12 fps on ultra settings

FANS WTF OP

I don't know. I can run Counter Strike GO and Dark Souls 2 at max, guess that's the best this PC can do.

I know. I don't wanna dust it off until I upgrade it.

Get more ram, 8gb is barely passable now days. But some Arctic Silver or some other quality thermal paste and reseat the heatsink on your cpu or invest in a Hyper 212 EVO. Power supply is a must, EVGA has some nice ones for good prices. For GPU, an rx 470 would probably do well enough or a 1060.

>those temps

shit nigger

Can I get two 8GB ddr3 sticks? Would there be any problem about that?

start with fucking fans idiot

I will never understand people who let their temps get that high

My GPU goes to 55C at most and CPU never goes over 27C

graphics card just melted or something did, i get white dots all over my screen now

logicalincrements.com/

There's a thread on Cred Forums about pc building which can be helpful. I just built a new budget pc myself, went from my old 560ti and phenom x2 965 to a 1060 and i3 6100 for 558 dollars, not too bad for a whole rig.

You're boiling water on your cpu. I'm surprised it hasn't fail safe shut down yet.

first 3 splinter cells any good? gonna play them because graphics card is dead

Un-overclock your cpu for more reasonable temps or upgrade to an ivy-bridge i7. Get some fans. Switch to an AMD card, a newer one. From what I'm seeing on the asrock website they support ATI and AMD cards better. If your optical S/PDIF cable is wobbly get a sound card. A new CPU cooler couldn't hurt, make sure you get that has compatibility for the socket you use, LGA 1155.

Check this one out newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9PV4RN1191

If that's too big, look at newegg, I'm sure they have small form factors. Get more ram, at least 8gigs, but your mobo will support up to 16gigs, so I'd do that. only supports up to 1600 so watch that. You should be good if you want to upgrade now. Also, get new thermal paste.

Thanks man.

Upgrade up to AT LEAST Sandy Bridge. Your chipset is bottlenecking your system something fierce. As a rule of thumb I suggest Ivy Bridge, but you can find some pretty cheap Sandy Bridge stuff, but I personally prefer Ivy Bridge. You can also think about doing an AMD build if you want something affordable.

No prob, I love this kind of stuff.

I'm sorry, what exactly is that, my microprocessor? Should I change that one as well?
Which microprocessor should I buy? Would I need to change my motherboard for that?

I'm sorry, I'm not into this stuff.

You want something like this pcpartpicker.com/list/6WfC8K
also consider a case fan or two, or maybe even a new case those temps can't be real

I was thinking about a EVGA GTX 1060, is that good?
Thanks for that, btw.

Woah, my bad. It's cool, don't be sorry.

Yeah, I'm talking about a full system rebuild. Your hardware is...probably ruined from running so hot.You're going to need a new everything. Let me post a recommended build list for you, but first a few questions. To address the elephant in the room, what is your budget? What type of games do you like to play, and what games do you have? Also, what other things than gaming would you like to do with your computer?

All you likely need is a new cpu cooler to get those temps under control(assuming you're using a stock cooler) and a new GPU, you could do with another stick of ram.

>I don't wanna dust it off until I upgrade it.

Dusting it off could fix your temperature problem, if the temps are that high then it's likely that it's being clocked down to keep from overheating, which also means that you're missing out on a lot of performance that you would otherwise be getting.

CPUs haven't gotten so much better that what you currently have warrants an upgrade unless you're looking at the over the top extreme edition intel CPUs that have 6+ cores, and are always way out of the bang-for-buck sweetspot.

If you're thinking about getting a 1060, make sure it's one of the 6GB models, nvidia is pulling off a dirty jewish trick with the 3GB model which is lower spec outside of just the advertised memory amounts.

I just dusted it off and now it is about 40-50ºC. So I don't think the temperatures are that much of an issue now.

My budget is about 400-500€. I like to play online games (I can max Counter Strike GO, Chivalry, Street Fighter IV...) and I'd like to get some new gen fightan games (MKX, Street Fighter V, Tekken 7) and some RPGs such as Dark Souls (wanted to buy 3 but I can't run it) and also Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Hitman...

Temps are no longer a problem, are they?

And I don't have enough money for a 6GB 1060, I'm afraid.

>1hz monitor
???

get at least 8gb ram
new gpu
and try to fix cpu temps probably a cheap cooler
thats about it
if u got extra cash add a ssd

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/RvDTM8

You can get a 6GB 1060, and a new PSU for about €330, and another stick of ram to bring the total up to 8GB would bring that up to €350

Mmm.
Would a 6GB 1060 + Power supply + 4GB ram be better than a

3GB 1060 + power supply + x2 8 RAM?

Well, I'm in the US, So I'm not sure if all these parts convert to euros properly, or shipping of that matter, but check this out. This should get you playing whatever you want for a long while.

pcpartpicker.com/list/nHnKqk

I think going for 16GB of ram may well be overkill, you're unlikely to actually make use of anything over 8GB, and realistically what you have at the moment is generally still fine but buying a single 4GB stick isn't going to break the bank and should mean you don't have to worry about those situations where you might actually need >4GB of RAM.

If you wanted to spend the rest of your budget then go ahead and go for 2x8GB, but I don't think you'd actually be any better off for spending the extra money, you'd probably be better off buying new peripherals or some games or whatever instead.

I don't recommend getting the 3GB model at all though, on the basis of not supporting nvidia's dishonesty with the different specs despite sharing a model number, and because 3GB is riding the line between sufficient/insufficient VRAM.

If the 6GB card is comfortably within your budget, it is certainly a better buy than the 3GB card.

That is an absolutely dogshit CPU recommendation that is not fit for videogames.

if you don't plan on playing anything over 1080p 60 fps, you're fine with 8 GB ram.

Would
pcpartpicker.com/product/KFjG3C/amd-cpu-ad5300okhjbox
be better?

Dual Core AMD cpus aren't really up to the task of playing videogames at reasonable resolutions.

If you were trying to make a case for them on the basis of their integrated graphics performance at low resolutions then they might look like a good buy, but when you pair them with a decent graphics card and aim for something higher than 720p they fall well behind the competition.

Also OP doesn't seem to be in the market for a new CPU now that temperatures are under control, and what you're recommending would actually be a pretty significant step down.