Why is this the worst idea ever?

why is this the worst idea ever?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/I_x11lrxLj8?t=12s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bondfire is a place for rest, it will be too stressful not to have anything to rely on for comfort

Woah, that's really cool. Also imagine a ladder that really is a mimic.

Because after being tired or scared from enemies literally the one hope of survival is in fact an enemy, it ruins the players motive to keep going

It would completely destroy the idea of the bonfire in both the gameplay and world lore aspects.

No that really isn't.
But I was expecting them to at least introduce chests that explode if you hit them.
How many of you would've been tricked?

literally nobody

if you can't tell the difference between an actual chest and a mimic by now there is no hope for you.

a bunch of people who dont like fun.

Why the fuck are there magic, flaming swords everywhere? Does the lore explain?

What if you have mimic NPCs

Why don't we have item drops that are actually mimics as well? What about elevators that are in fact, mimics? How about a rare chance of one of your estus sips are miniature mimics in disguise?

>get fooled by it once, then just attack every new bonfire you see from now on
wow, so hard
it's actually less tedious than chest mimics

Having a boss like that would be fine.
Seeing an odd bonfire in the middle of a boss arena that you know you haven't cleared out should be more than enough warning.
Otherwise, a random bonfire that actually isn't safe would ruin the comfort every other bonfire is supposed to bring.

how about a mimic npc who you can talk to and is a really chill guy

Obviously it would look like a mimic chest but with some small third visual difference that isn't instantly apparent, and when the player hits it -> boom

the only intelligent people on Cred Forums

Yes, you idiot. It's a central plot point

It'd be a bad idea for a regular enemy, but it would be a cool way to start a boss.

patches

mimic new game button
you press new game then it uninstalls your OS

LOL SO HARD XD WELCOME TO DURK SOULS

>Rather than a chain it has a rope
>When you hit it you see a small flame on the rope and if you're dumb enough to open it then it'll go boom

>if you can't tell the difference between an actual chest and a mimic by now there is no hope for you.
It changes on a game by game basis though

>dork souls
>plot

i don't know what that guy meant, but i like the idea of an actual mimic chest that everyone naturally kills because they're mimic checking, but if you go to open it it wakes up and doesn't eat you and has dialogue and a quest and shit

problem with mimics in the souls games is it only tricks you once and from then on you're stuck smacking everything after. It's shit design.

Nioh's literal Mimics are pretty cool though

that is fucking dumb

I dont think it would be so bad if it only happened ONCE. Any more then that is too much.

What if the PC was in fact a mimic?

What Nioh's mimics like?

love abibe

They're wrong though. Atmosphere comfy shit is for fagggots.

The reason it's bad is because, like all mimics, it's a one and done thing. You will never be surprised by it again, even as a boss battle it won't impact you the same way on NG+ because you expect it.

a tanuki jumps out of the chest and mimics your your characters armor and weapons

Maybe have it be a boss fight

The plot involves respawning and leveling up?

imagine if the firekeeper was a mimic
imagine if mimics were mimics
imagine being Arnold in that scene and having to be all like "damn, Jamie Curtis, you fuckin' fine, all sexy with your tight body & horrific androgynous monster face. I would totally have sex with you, both my character & the real me" when all he really wants to do is fuck another 16 year old in his dressing room. Like seriously imagine having to be Arnold and not only sit in that chair while Jamie Lee Curtis flaunts her disgusting body in front of you, the favorable lighting barely concealing her stretchmarks and leathery skin, & just sit there, take after take, hour after hour, while she perfected that dance. Not only having to tolerate her monstrous fucking visage but her haughty attitude as everyone on set tells her she's STILL GOT IT and DAMN, JAMIE LEE CURTIS LOOKS LIKE THAT?? because they're not the ones who have to sit there & watch her mannish fucking gremlin face contort into types of grimaces you didn't even know existed before that day. You've been fucking nothing but a healthy diet of blondes and supermodels and later alleged rape victims for your ENTIRE CAREER coming straight out of the boonies in Austria. You've never even seen anything this fucking disgusting before, and now you swear you can taste the sweat that's breaking out on her dimpled stomach as she sucks it in to writhe it suggestively at you, smugly assured that you are enjoying the opportunity to get paid to sit there and revel in her "statuesque (for that is what she calls herself)" beauty, the beauty she worked so hard for with personal trainers in the previous months. And then the director calls for another take & you know you could kill every single person in this room before the studio security could put you down, but you sit there and endure, because you're fucking Arnold. You're not going to lose your future political career over this. Just bear it. Hide your face and bear it.

That's way better than soul's series mimics, what do you get for beating it?

Because you would try hitting every bonfire after the first mimic. Like you do with the chests.

Hits its balls.

It does actually

All of them breathe/show their weird teeth.
All of them can be put to sleep with a Lloyd's Talisman.
And the only time it's different is DaS2 with Mimics having locks and being a bit different instead of having a weird chain.

And then you copy the gesture it performs or is that only a one time thing?
I've only seen the Webm.

Imagine if the final boss was just a mimic

But it all revolves around YOU right? How convenient.

Yeah in DaS 2 mimics have locks instead. Don't stick your dick in 'em, especially the metal ones.

>mimic door in the tutorial area
>never appears through the rest of the game

Then you put in a trap-bonfire that explodes when you hit it.

I'm not sure how good the loot is since pretty much every enemy can randomly drop something good in that game it seems

What's the item drop system like?

To not mince words or be dishonest with you, the plot of all three Dark Souls games involves numerous NPCs egging you and many others to collect souls, become stronger and then do something for them. Dark Souls 3 is a bit more straightforward with the Ashen One soul vessel business.

Kinda.

You collect souls to become stronger.
You can't die so you just reappear.
You are one of the chosen to get shit done

wtf i hate dork souls now

>What is every RPG ever?

I think human enemies drop the stuff they have that includes phantoms you summon to dual, but yokai drops might be more random. Im just saying what I've observed in playthroughs I haven't actually played myself

>Mimic discussion
I feel like I'm in 1980 again.

>enemy is a mimic

Unless mimics change locations each time, or they switch places with real chests and bonfires each time, and the only way to tell is by small, subtle observations and differences.

>i have not played the game, explain it to me

>mimic turns out to be a pretty chill guy

Thread theme: youtu.be/I_x11lrxLj8?t=12s

Fucking kek

As far as i've seen, no.
They just make you think you're the chosen one or some shit but you were just one of the many "chosen ones" except that you succeeded

Try playing the game before you walk into a thread swinging your tiny uninformed dick around, you fucking retard

No, every other Undead can also come back from the dead and collect souls to become more powerful.

>mimic wonts stops copyings me

Best thing about DaS2 was that you couldn't just womp every chest.

> chest breaks
> you get nothing
> good day sir

Excellent

>mimics aren't in the same place twice

You're the Chosen One because you're the only undead that doesn't go mad when you die.

> because you're already mad
> but forced to do whatever the guy at the controls makes you do

>walk into a room
>see the mimic's arms and legs glitch out
DS1 was so charming.

>buy dark souls 3
>open game case
>mimic case bites my hand off

I've never played this game, but I know everything about it and hate it because neo-Cred Forums hates it xD

Literally you.

catch a mimic moving to a different location
it sees you and tries to hide

that's just stupid artificial difficulty though. Why would bashing a chest with a sword break the contents?

mimic trees, work on it from software!

>boot up Dark Souls 3
>it's actually just shit
Tricked again!

They did that, and they were shit.

>lol let's make everything a mimic

good thing he doesn't actually work for from

> Buy Dark Souls 3
> Begin download in steam
> PC BSoDs
> Go to hit power
> Case is a mimic
> YOU DIED.

or you could just hit every chest after your first encounter

It could work as a boss. Have a bonfire not far away from a standard bonfire, in the middle of a big arena, a bunch of corpses scattered around.
As a standard enemy it's fucking retarded.

It's kind of a 'dead rats drop trousers and gold' thing really

If I spent an hour or so on a place like blighttown, sens fortress, or cathedral of the deep, just to find a bondfire then immediately get killed by it, im just going to quit right then and there. Absolutely no reason other than "muh hardcore". fuck you dark souls isnt supposed to be hardcore it's supposed to be challenging. The series started going downhill as soon as FROM caught a whif of the "hardcore" fanboyism.

>You rest
>Goes into a cutscene of you getting up and walking away while the bonfire starts to gargle and tentacles start showing like gif

I approve of this pasta.

Sounds like a cool idea. Are there games similar to dark souls?

Dark Souls 2 is the only game in the series that does it fortunately

>You are one of the chosen

this is why mimics are bad

hitting chests is stupid and immersion breaking

That doesn't mean that you're "chosen" it just means that you're good.

Cave Story?

what? you're just being careful not to get jumped on again, sounds pretty immersive to me

Nothing wrong with it as long as its detectable.

But you're not *the* chosen one. Literally every enemy in the game, right down to the lowly-ass undead who die in 1 hit, are "chosen". The only difference between you and them is your will to continue.

Not true, every chest requirest at least two swings.

Has VaatiVidya made a video explaining the lore behind this yet?

Armor mimic!

That depends if lebbit has made lore threads about it.

>but it never happens in the game! Just take my word for it that you respawn whenever some other random undead rests at a bonfire

kek
Those soldiers were the only enemies I permakilled because it was so fucking stupid.

Its fucking video-gamey is what it is

Its not like the mimic would not have had been hit before, so he would have just never hid in the chest in the first place

Its a kinda backwards logic the needs to exist for the mimic to exist in the first place, then adding in "checking chest" by just hitting them is retarded

If you destroyed what was in the chest it would make sense, but that doesn't happen so you hit every fucking chest making the game pointlessly tedious if you don't want to get jumped by something that has not tells other then "this looks suspiciously placed to me"

if there where real check and spot mechanics then I would be ok with mimics, but there isn't

Actually the flow of time and place is just a bit convoluted over there. Nothing to worry about, I am sure.

Permakilled?

>if there where real check and spot mechanics then I would be ok with mimics, but there isn't

There are you fucking retard.

but the series is good because of how video-gamey it is

I don't understand why you're fine with an actual checking mechanic but not the way it is right now, it's the same thing

People die when they are killed.

About a dozen times or so, I forget.

The main problem is one that DnD ran into a long time ago. Essentially, it used to be you could make a whole dungeon out of mimics, from the chests to the doors to barrels to floors, ceilings and walls.
The problem is that this is an interesting encounter exactly once. You have one time where the player is surprised that such beings exist, was caught off guard, and was forced into a fight they weren't expecting. Every time after that, most players will just be extra cautious around the one real safe point in those games. From then on, revealing one of those just becomes frustrating, whether they were prepared for it or not.

There's a big difference between playing carefully and shooting everything from ten feet away to make sure it isn't going to just kill you. It's not IWBTG.

Enemies only respawn a certain number of times. One of the many reasons why DS2 is so fucking retarded.

I see you have little exposure to traditional gaming there are countless stories of 2nd edition D&D where players would get gank by a mimic once and would start attacking any door or chest in fear of ambush a second time.

I don't get why people are so butthurt by mimics

Try being less bad at games casuals

>if there where real check and spot mechanics then I would be ok with mimics, but there isn't
Have you ever played this game?

Mimic chests breathe.

It's a video game first, neckbeard escapist fantasy second you whiney bitch

Great job kid

Jesus Christ, if this were to exist then no where would he safe, might as well add fire keeper mimics. Wanna level up? Nah you're gettin mauled by a fake fire keeper

Chain is laid differently and they breath. Also they are a much darker brown.

trolled :^)

Why would this be a bad idea?

And to the people saying nowhere would be safe then your an idiot because it would be safe after you remove the threat I.e. the mimic

however, this gimmick could be cool if the bonfire mimic was a boss, so you get the initial reaction without instilling the fear of all future bonfires, considering the player now knows it was a one time thing

Sword mimics.

Everything seems normal, you equip it, but then it eats you when you swing it.
Really makes you think.

We need to go further
>mimic pause screen

>Its fucking video-gamey is what it is
All replies should have taken note of this to not take it seriously

You really think this is enough? A chain moved 3 inches to the left and a slightly off color texture?

Ok, sure thing

>Your dm not punishing you for acting like a retard

This is how you get ambushed imminently because you are making a racket and basically knocking of every door before you bust in

brilliant

Sure they do

YOU WERE THE MIMIC ALL ALONG.

>You really think this is enough? A chain moved 3 inches to the left and a slightly off color texture?
I bet you bitch if it was obvious too

>Your dm not punishing you for acting like a retard

again great job showing you know shit and traditional games because that's where the stories lead to would be they careless make noise an attract unwanted enemies.

>special edition comes printed on a mimic disc that destroys your console if you run into a mimic

US HARDCORE GAMERS HUH

It should be obvious to a character who has a high check skill, which isn't a mechanic present in dork souls

For a d&d fag you seemed to have missed a base d&d fucking mechanic

also dork souls mobs are not attracted to sounds, so another wonderful justification

What kind of sick freak would make a place of safety and relief a mimic?

>enemy mimics itself as both other enemies and random items you pick up on the ground
>you won't know it's a mimic until you use it

>which isn't a mechanic present in dork souls
it's called using you eyes and brain. To even want that mechanic begs questions about either your eyesight or brain power.

>also dork souls mobs are not attracted to sounds
You are just the retarded gift that keeps on giving

That's not what begging the question means

>also dork souls mobs are not attracted to sounds
Yes they are
Enemies only agro via sight and sound. If they can't see you they won't agro you until you make loud enough noises and weapon noise is loudest sound they pick up on.

>say something retarded
>Haha it was only bait guys, I s-swear! XD trolled!!!

This one's no fun since you have no way of telling beforehand.

>I WILL DEFEND MY SHITTY MODEL TO THE DEATH!!!! TO THE DEATH!!!!!!!

Dark Souls had bad mechanics in it, get over it. Spot and check skills are hard to represent in 3d games, which is why foes form tabletop games that require those skills to properly counter souls not be used

its not fucking rocket science

and don't get me started on how filters that the game has for shades will change the color of the chest texture, or how you are not even going to see any of those details at all on a SD tv.

Im not using the fallacy I'm just saying that wanting a check skill on something that is an easy visual to spot brings all kinds of questions on why you would think it's needed.

I play on a crt from the 90s. Stop pulling shit out of your ass

Funny, iv only seen then react to sight

it also looks like its only for 3 that they react to sound, but my google fu could be weak

Okay but you still used that phrase wrong

you can not tell the deference on a crt nigga, don't even lie

You couldn't ever read 90% of the text on a crt, who are you kidding?

>I WILL DEFEND MY SHITTY MODEL TO THE DEATH
says the guy obsessed in proving it's bad after showing at least twice that you have never played the game.

You just got nae nae-d kiddo
;^)

>proved that I have never played the game before

Naw, you just only played 3 ;^)

very weak since even a wiki link to hush, the DS 1 spell for foot silence makes this clear.

I'd be okay with this.

:^)

They haven't even made SD TVs for over a decade. When DS first drop you could get a HDTV for under $200

>no Mimic King boss

Missed opportunity.

Dark Souls mimics are garbage. You get fooled once in Sen's Fortress back in the first game (if that) and then you're hitting chests or at best pausing at every chest to see if its a mimic. That's not gameplay, it's tedium.

If the punishment wasn't so severe (usually instant death) like with or then there's actually a slight element of choice between playing cautiously at the cost of some real time and just yoloing it. To make this a real choice, they could then make the tells less obvious, for example requiring multiple hits to wake it up or having you sit around waiting for a breathing animation.

Iv still never seen them react to sound, ever

always sight

because you know, all the mechanics in dark souls have been known to work

Actually 2 and 3 is where sound is nowhere near as punishable, smacking a sword into a wall in DS1 would get you gank, it was like everything had sonar

>having you sit around waiting for a breathing animation.
I can't speak for three but that's exactly what they do in one and two if you just watch them.

I know, but no one does that because smacking them or looking at the chain is faster. I'm saying if the punishment for getting tricked wasn't so severe, they could make it more annoying to identify mimics because an impatient player always has the option of just plowing through.

As it is now, it is only slightly annoying and time consuming to identify mimics but it is mandatory because you'll die if you don't. There's no gameplay or decision-making involved.

what if its not triggered by attacks like regular mimics.

well its almost like the DS2 npc that spawned sometimes from bonefire

A bonfire.

Lol

people would just be expecting it to be a pursuer-type thing for the rest of the game, though