Has there been any games where the main character fails, whether the main character is good or evil...

Has there been any games where the main character fails, whether the main character is good or evil, has there ever been a time where it never worked out cannonically?

NO DON'T ANSWER HIM BECAUSE THEN IT WILL RUIN IT FOR ME AND I WONT BE ABLE TO ENJOY THE STORY

Final Fantasy VI comes to mind.

Main villain wins and destroys the world about 2/3rds of the way through the game.

t. Drakengard

Live A Live's secret chapter.

Warning, contains: NTR.

AssCreed 3.

Does the world stay that way or do the main characters still fix everything in the end
So the bad guys win and the good guys lose. Theres no good ending at all? I know its oddly specific but i just wanna see a game where the main character tries and just fails and bad guy gets his way

One of the timeline splits in Zelda is caused by Link's possible defeat in OoT

I wonder how that kind of game would be to play?

Final Fantasy VI is full of twists like these, OP.

Also, Chrono Trigger. Crono can actually die (and stay dead if you don't do the Time Egg quest)

>Does the world stay that way or do the main characters still fix everything in the end

They defeat the villain but the world is fucked, yes.

Wait, you actually want one where the heroes lose? Unh, no, that doesn't exist user.

Geez

Yeah, I wonder why thats not a thing. People wouldnt expect a game where even though you try your hardest. The main bad guy is just too far above you to actually win even with a nakama power up. I dont know why i wanna see it, i guess just cause its something new

For LaL, there is only a bad ending for that chapter, which then splits into 2 paths, one with a good/bittersweet ending and another is a bad ending, where you also play as the bosses from each previous chapter.

That sounds pretty interesting, might check it out when i can

Keep in mind it's an older game, and fairly unpolished in some places. A guide may be helpful, as with savestates depending on how you play.

Soundtrack is excellent, though. Yoko Shimomura's magnum opus.

Final Fantasy XIII-2

I honestly dont mind older games. Heck i still go back and play Dragon Warrior every now and then. And im a sucker for good music in games

Does that actually have a bad end, or is it a bad end until the protagonists make a come back?

The closest game I can think of in terms of "the bad guy wins, good guy loses" is the .Hack series on Ps2. 3 of the 4 games end on a cliffhanger and it kinda' gives you a sense of dread on what'll happen next.

I loved those games, i never got to play them unfortunately cause growing up i was a poorfag. But i did watch a silent playthrough of it

I hate this example but the original Deus Ex. Canonically, JC tries to merge with Helios but *some bullshit* happens and everything blows up, sending the world into the dark age anyway.

That's the problem with those "multiple ending" games, if they ever make a sequel they'll be forced to pick one of them and piss off everybody who went for the others, or making a shitty compromise. Deus Ex is infamous for this, at least the newest one had only had one ending unlike the prequel which just sais "lol none of them happened".

STASIS. John had a hard life.

Yeah I do hate that about those kind of games. Thats why I want a true bad ending game to exist. Like your playing and then you just get blown the fuck out and the game ends. Sure people might hate it, but you can damn sure as hell say you werent expecting it
Never heard of that game before, whats it about?

LISA the painful

You mean like how XCOM 2 needs you to have failed Enemy Unknown/Within to exist?

Wait it does? but that dont make no damn sense. there has to be more to it then that right?
Ive heard some pretty good things about this game but i didnt know it was a bad ender

What about crisis core?

The final fantasy game right? sorry if thats a silly question. havent played any final fantasy's in a long ass time

FFXIII-2

Persona 2 Innocent Sin

MC dies, the world is left to rot, and the next game is all about Lightning playing grim reaper before the world actually ends

They weren't that good in terms of gameplay. The story and characters were pretty good. G.U. did a better job with the gameplay even though it was extremely repeatitive and the characters had a little more depth than the original .Hack I feel.

Well damn, i didnt expect that at all

My favorite character from the G.U games was alkaid without a doubt. But i do see where your coming from. The gameplay in the regular .hack was pretty meh and then G.U brought it up quite a bit

Yeah.
CC has a pretty bittersweet ending. It's no big shock knowing what'll happen if you've already played FF7 after finding the hidden flashback cutscene.

I might have to replay G.U. since I really dispised it when I was younger. Can't recall why but it was probably because of the semi-light hearted, animeish theme that turned me off compared to the original's somewhat darker tone.