First Person Metroid outsourced to some literally who studio in Austin Texas that had previously never shipped a...

>First Person Metroid outsourced to some literally who studio in Austin Texas that had previously never shipped a complete game.
>Turns out to be one of best games of the entire generation.

Gaming miracles thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

comicgamersassemble.com/2015/01/19/10-ways-turok-and-metroid-prime-are-inadvertenly-the-same/
metroid-database.com/reviews/mszm.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Made by the company rejects over at Konami.
>Was originally just supposed to b-tier Horror game meant to cash in on the the success of Resident Evil.

actually insane.
Also, Miyamoto came, killed the whole game the team had been working on for a year.

start from scratch, studio makes a masterpiece

double miracle

How come we never see miracles like this happen anymore?
Today we have established studios fuck up left and right.
Literal who studio predictably releasing shitty games.

I think the closest "miracle" these days would be Deus Ex Human Revolution or D44M.

suck my dick

Money.

Wasn't one of the only reasons Kanto made it into G/S because the team had extra space on the cart and one of the programmers managed to stuff the whole thing in the extra space just because he could?

That programmer was Iwata

Yeah that was all thanks to Iwata.

The late and great Iwata did that

And now I'm sad

>How come we never see miracles like this happen anymore?
We do, they just aren't as publicised or you aren't paying attention.

Especially not here were most posters want everything to fail.

It's kind of embarrassing for Game Freak that a high ranking company official in Nintendo had to fix their shit.

He wasn't a high ranking offical then, just a senior programer

What about
>Studio known for their JRPGs try their hands at a more Western open-world RPG approach
>Turns out better than any other open-world games to date

Iwata always came in and fixed the shit of teams that couldn't program their way out of a paper bag. See: Earthbound.

If it weren't for Miyamoto, the game wouldn't even be first persion. You got to thank him for that.

I thought it was because the developers had previously worked on Turok and had experience in making first-person games.
Don't think Miyamoto had much to do with Prime, really.

>one of the best

Why? What other Metroid game can compete with Prime?

Super Metroid, probably. They're equally well-made and both have similar flaws.

no faith

>Worked on by different directors.
>Scrapped and reworked several times.
>One version turns into Devil May Cry, redefines 3D action.
>Final version redefined TPS.

Miyamoto also wanted OOT to be first person but the entire team veto'd against it.

lol.

Pure lies

Super and Zero Mission.

I liked Zero Mision, but I played them a long time ago so I cant tell.
Well, this isnt a Metroid thread, better post miracles:
Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Thats all I have

I fucking wish

Not that user but the only involvement I recall from Miyamoto was when he made a really vague suggestion that the devs eventually decided meant making different visors you can switch between. Maybe this even influenced the amount of detail and care that went into the visor effects but I don't recall Miyamoto suggesting/pushing for first-person.

Go fuck yourself

>basically the same situation as DmC
>game is equally horrible
>Cred Forums loves it
What went wrong?

Yes. Also Mew existed just because they 'could', it wasn't intended to appear in Gen 1

Have fun not infinite walljumping and relying on glitches to sequence break, kiddo

>Metroid Prime isn't a reboot
>It's very clearly a side-series, main games like Fusion and Zero Mission keeps getting produced alongside it
>No major redesign of Samus or her personality
>DURR IT'S LITERALLY DmC
Are you retarded?

I wouldn't call that a miracle, Capcom was well established at doing huge AAA revolutions

>replying to shitposters
Epic job user

>Japanese franchise given to no name western developer
>western developer completely misses the entire point of the franchise and makes casual shit
>series dies as a result
>no comparison

Bayonetta 2 was a miracle being nearly completed for quite a while and no publisher didn't want to pick it up until Nintendo did for the Wii U and becoming one of the best character action games.
I understand people were upset for it's exclusivity but it was either an exclusive game or no game.

Haha
Fahnny Joke

>Don't think Miyamoto had much to do with Prime
Heh. No wonders so many people in this board spout lies about him.

Excellent rebuttal. I can clearly see how you some how managed to enjoy prime

Well now that you mention it that way...I agree

I think it was a demo of the Morph Ball that made him flip his shit. It was in first person and didn't look good or play well at all.

>Game with Mediocre reception and sales gets one of the most highly acclaimed sequels of all time becoming so popular to the point where people forget the first one even exist
seriously i never expected this game to get a sequel, let alone one as good
i want to know what Rockstar saw in this franchise

Same shit but with Rareware and DKC.

Donkey Kang was also a miracle, the original arcade I mean.

Final Fantasy 1 too.

I wouldn't necessarily call this a miracle but games like Jet Set Radio and Future would never get made today.

>series dies as a result
The series died because of Other M, retard.

Such a mind-blowingly good game reduced to just a pretty good by a billion small problems and Tatsu

Stop samefagging, literally nothing you've said is true.

Other M was the attempt to save there series alarm DMC4SE that failed.

OOT could be great in first person, you will never know.

he doesn't know that retro was partially made of the people who created the original master of orion

one of the best and most influential video games ever made, progenitor (along with star lords) of all space strategy games

you guys are just young

But I'm literally not samefagging

Except that, you know, 2002-2004 was pretty much the golden age of Metroid and let to like 5 million copies of games in the franchise being sold?

>Other M was the attempt to save there series alarm DMC4SE that failed.
What?

Watch out guys we got a pro shitposter itt

Post Samus

Stop pretending space sims aren't super niche

>killed the whole game the team had been working on for a year
They were working on multiple games. The "Action-Adventure" game was chosen to be the basis for MP.

That's like saying the current Cod era is the golden age for the series.

It's the same retarded faggot that samefags every Metroid threads in existence about how FILTHY GAIJINS RUINED METROID and SAKAMOTO TRIED TO SAVE THE FRANCHISE WITH HIS MASTERPIECE OTHER M BUT IT WAS TOO LATE, IT WAS PERMANENTLY TARNISHED BY GAIJIN PIGS

>miracles like this anymore

Industry is too cemented in copying one another. Vidya has become full hollywood. Remakes, remasters, safety sequels, you name it.

It literally is. Your subjective tastes don't dictate reality user.

stop pretending that any of the current casual crap like metroid prime could exist without the years of interest and development that both players and creators put into older, more complex PC games

the reason why games like the original xcom or the original moo were such a big deal is that they were casual enough that more people could enjoy them

those talented developers were the foundation stone of all the modern designs, regardless of where you draw the line on 'modern'

>Literally whos remake a shitty game
>It turns into one of the greatest 2D games ever made.

>delicious brown
>in delicious orange power armor

Mm

The series was revived with Prime though. Notice the 8 year old gap between Super and Prime? This one game held the series above water for a decade and paved way for 2 2D games.
Sure, Prime wasn't as action heavy as the previous three games, but it was still a good game and a slow-paced first-person adventure game was a pretty bold move when the fast-paced shooter genre was dominating the market. It succeeded.

little baby and his first shooter.

MUH MASHTERPEACE!!!

You are the reason Metroid died.

>"Post Samus"
>posts Pharah

Nigga Metroid was an NES Alien ripoff, fuck off with that pretentious shit

No. I meant ''What?'' as in I have no idea what he meant. I can't understand the sentence.

Seeing as japs don't give a fuck about Metroid the franchise might aswell stay with Retro forever.

I doubt there is a jap studio around today that actually understands Metroid better than Retro.

Metroid was a 2D sci-fi Zelda with an Alien skin.

I could argue DmC caused DMC4SE to exist which will save the franchise and be just as retarded as you but I'll refrain.

you're not even following the reasoning?

we're discussing how the developers that made master of orion, one of the most important games ever created, were pretty much guaranteed to make something good if they decided to make some crappy console FPS

and they did, they made a console FPS that was actually decent, which was made even better by the positive feelings people had about metroid

>2D Zelda
You mean like NES Zelda, which NES Metroid shares almost no similarities with?
Keep pedaling man you'll get somewhere.

Due to longer and more costly development, video games have lost a lot of the experimenting spirit that still existed even in the 6th gen and so-and-so on the Wii. From here on out you can start expecting such games to be supplied only by small independent studios.

How about Path of Exile?

Yes, like NES Zelda. It was heavy on exploration and gave the players various tools that unlocked more of the world. But, instead of a sword, they gave Samus a cool pew pew gun and also made her a woman as a surprise. It was pretty neat.

Not everyone is a literal program wizard like Iwata was

Deus Ex was a 3D Doom with a Sci-fi skin.

But, DmC wasn't even a good game.

>Masters of Orion
>Metroid Prime

These games are so vastly different in terms of gameplay design that there was absolutely no guarentee it would be good.

Ironically, the same team that worked on Earthbound worked on the Pokemon games.

>one of the most important games ever created,
Yeah see Masters of Orion has fuck all to do with Metroid Prime. Even your reasoning that its one of "the most important games ever" is kinda shakey given how impenetrably niche the genre is, especially at the time MoO released.

It was more like an Ultima with a sci-fi skin, but you tried, user.

It was better than Prime and I'm a bigger DMC fan than Metroid.

By that logic I can make Ninja Gaiden sound like a Zelda game by boiling everything down to basic statements

granted but someone who makes a masterpiece is a lot more likely to put the same care and attention into another

and just for the record, I think of prime as being a 'play once' game, its nowhere near the flawless game that Cred Forums thinks

it compensated for the weakness of the handheld controller pretty well, exactly like ocarina of time did. The world design was not actually breathtaking or even particularly innovative, the story was cringy or just not very good

New Vegas and TECHNICALLY Duke Nukem Forever.

>It was more like an Ultima with a sci-fi skin

Nah, that's System Shock

at the time it was released it was as big as any major release is now, up there with a new grand theft auto or call of duty, compensating for the smaller market

its only competition at the time was x-com which was also mind blowing

and again you're not really grasping the point, which is simply that it's not even a little bit surprising that retro would make a competent effort, once I realized who made it, I immediately understood why I liked MP

No? Ninja Gaiden was a linear side-scrolling action game where you had all tools necessary to beat the game from the get go and it was a matter of traversing obstacles carefully placed out in each level.
Zelda is not at all like that. It's non-linear open-world get tool A to unlock path B leading to tool C back to B to get D sort of thing. You're just trying to argue for the sake of arguing.

Only one person who worked on MOO worked on Metroid Prime, Steve Barcia who was the president of Retro.

System Shock was Doom with an Ultima skin.

Why is that husky sad?

Fucking japs

>Ultima was scifi
I want to forget.

Fucking this. You TORtanic fags need to go hang yourselves and rid this place of cancer.

but it literally ran on the ultima underworld engine

thats enough?

I mean can't you imagine what it's like having talent like that, running a project?

development teams used to be very small

This. Miyamoto made them salvage what they themselves had no idea they could even do.

I don't think he did anything particularly amazing either.
He just forced them to make a play state, took notes, and said "This doesn't work at all, we need to fix this, somehow".
I guess he also gave a lot of advice, to give them an idea on how to avoid the pitfall of flawed game.

Also this.
Miyamoto has a good understanding of the differences of feedback, sound, and how it works.

Minecraft.

>Why didn't Frodo just ride the space shuttle to Mordor?
Lord British was a genius.

It was perfectly fine. Much better than DMC4.

So, what's your point? That Prime 1 and 2, ZM, and Fusion suck? Be honest here, do you even like the Metroid franchise overall, or are you just one of those people who are fixated on Super and don't give a shit about the other games? Cause if it's the latter, your opinion sucks balls.

Every 2D Metroid game.

I get it, but I'm not laughing. It was pretty fucking stupid.

Except in terms of gameplay, music, visuals and story.

>>First Person Metroid outsourced to some literally who studio in Austin Texas that had previously never shipped a complete game.
Iguana Entertainment you fucking swine

comicgamersassemble.com/2015/01/19/10-ways-turok-and-metroid-prime-are-inadvertenly-the-same/

get the fuck outta this thread you shits

Yeah, well, I'm a pretty stupid man.

it may have been untintentional, but super is far better than prime2, ZM, and fusion, because they are overproduced to prevent all unintended sequence breaks

prime 1 has lots of unintended breaks, which elevates it quite a bit

>thats enough?

Most of the time it totally isn't.

A game is a group effort, even in smaller teams. Hell just look at id software, John Romero didn't make DOOM work, and neither did John Carmack, it was all of them together. You need to be an extreme visionary that's also a fantastic leader to manage to be "the guy". Which almost nobody is.

>you will never wake up on a day like November 17th 2002 ever again

The TV world was pretty neat, but otherwise DmC was just embarassing.

>literally who programmer thrown onto a project he never wanted and told to essentially make it playable so they could just release it already and be done
>turns it into his passion project, gains widespread global acclaim through word of mouth to such a degree he rises to become president of the company within just a few years

you convinced me, partially

I still think its an exaggeration to call Retro no-name

Miyazaki should do a Metroid Prime game

Game development is too expensive nowdays. Every great indie game that gets released is pretty much a miracle, like FTL or Shovel knight. Even with kickstarter.

That wasn't a miracle.

Back at the time, shit like that was EXPECTED to happen. Almost every big name studio/publisher today is built off the work of small dev teams of that time who consistently shat out 8/10, 9/10 and 10/10 titles to hit the shelves every month.

Then it would be casualized but marketed as hardcore.

>gameplay
playing same levels two times is acceptable now because the game is old?
>music
opinions. Comby & others did fine.
>visuals
shit opinion. DmC has some actual variety in level enviroments.
>story
One is mediocre, other is weeb shit.

No... no he shouldn't.

Metroid Prime is shit. The switch to 3D hurt the franchise so much that it couldn't recover and produced the abomination that is Other M.
Metroid has gained nothing positive from going 3D and lost its charm in the process. The gameplay itself was never that good but even that got worse.

>playing same levels two times is acceptable now because the game is old?
That's not gameplay. That's level design. It's flawed, but the gameplay is satisfying and deep, so it's fine.
>One is mediocre, other is weeb shit
One takes itself far too seriously, the other is video games. Also, reminder that you are currently posting on a site called Cred Forums.

>>Turns out to be one of best games of the entire generation
no

Kill yourself you chump.
Fucking stupid piece of shit.
You are true cancer.

Metroid Prime should break away from Metroid autists like (You).

But, it didn't hurt the franchise. It did the opposite. Spawned two successful sequels and two separate handheld titles. You are a literal retard if you think it was bad for the series that Prime was made.

primefags, everyone

metroidfags everyone

I have a feeling they wanted to do a western TPS, and the red dead IP was laying around so they decided to take it.

Metroid Prime should have been a new franchise entirely instead.
How the fuck did Prime "spawn" two handheld titles? You can't possibly mean Zero Mission and Fusion.

HUNTERS AND PINBALL AND FEDERATION FORCE

this fami

nothing but permavirgins wanking about muh samus and playing super manchildren bros all day

>people are literally slapping Sarah Bryant face into a new Samus model and calling it Samus Aran

>HUNTERS AND PINBALL AND
And? You were saying?

Metroid was in a state of sleep before Prime came and revived it. Like it or not, without it there might not have been a Metroid today.
Also, Prime was pretty much a new franchise. There's the original trilogy and the Prime trilogy. Then, there was a Metroid 4, Other M and spin-offs.

I really don't like DMC4. It's boring and lazy, Nero is a faggot, story and characters are shit. DMC3 was perfect. DMC4 = RE5. DmC is a flawed, but complete and fun game that perhaps should not have had the DmC name.

no one mentions AM2R

was it an amazing attempt to revitalize what was always a simplistic and primitive version of metroid

or was it a derivative and empty experience with little actual innovation

or was it merely good, but without enough (your favorite feature)

>Metroid was in a state of sleep before Prime came and revived it
Fusion released the same day.

You're seriously blaming Metroid Prime for Other M? Other M didn't even try to play like Prime either. It tried to play more like the original 2D games.
Fuck off, you're retarded.

The PS2 game was actually pretty good. It had a few rough spots, but for what it was it was damned good. A solid 7, really. It was just too big for the medium.

Prime has a million of cool and viable-looking characters to choose from and Metroidfags can't stop mouth watering over shitty Ridley and the Zero Suit when it comes to Smash Bros.

explain why Metroidfags aren't super-autistic? the Metroid Prime sub-series doesn't deserve this.

You're pretty fucking stupid

>no one mentions a fangame of the worse tradit. metroid
gee i wonder

>becoming one of the best character action games.

Bayonetta 2 was shit

Fuck you.

You anti-Prime fags have the most close-minded taste in video games sometimes, I swear.

Hunters wasnt too bad, a little repetitive, but ok

Bayonetta 2 was great, but it wasn't as great as the first one.
Or DMC. But, still great.

Oh no, it makes perfect sense. If Prime didn't remove everything that made Metroid good, they wouldn't have tried to reinclude those aspects in a 3D game, where they don't fucking work and produced a steaming pile of shit with atrocious gameplay.

oh you're one of those autists

sorry your smelly slut wasn't in the game outside Honey Select

>Metroid Prime should have been a new franchise entirely instead.
Well Prime is a subseries meaning that whatever happens in it will not have any effects to the main series because it was made not to be integrated with the main series just games that expanded the universe with Samus's exploits when she wasn't doing anything big (main series) and expand on the GF.

Metroid Zero Mission is the second best Metroid game.

First, what the fuck are you even saying? Use proper English, motherfucker.

Second, Other M was an attempt to make Samus relatable to Japanese who never cared about the Metroid games to begin with, while ignoring the fanbase that actually spent cash on Metroid (everyone else). There was no issue with the Prime games...unless you get motion sickness. In which case go play the GBA titles.

Even Japan hated what they did to Metroid in general and to Samus in particular. And what's-his-faces' butt clenched to mightily in response it sucked an entire island out of the Pacific and shoved it up against his Colon.

Are you one of the turboautists that like eating shit because nobody else does?

it was all people talked about on Cred Forums the week it came out

but no one really reached a conclusion on it because only that small window of people had an easy opportunity to download it

just like most people don't know how awesome this is:
metroid-database.com/reviews/mszm.php

its just another SM mod to them, and will never be compared to a mainline metroid game, even though its quality is better in many ways

what do you expect from Metroidfags

the FEfags were right, Metroidfags are fucking awful here.

Everyone who wanted to play and discuss AM2R already did so around the time it came out. People loved the game in general, but it's too short and small scale to really discuss at length.

It was the Morph ball physic that made him get stern with them. He said if they can't get at least that much right, then they might as well not make the game. Or something along those lines. That put some fire under their asses.

its kind of horrifying, isnt it

to think that someone spends a decade on something, gives it away for free, and that's the conclusion thats reached

I just think we should be a little more thankful for these things (no im not that guy)

>(DmC) was perfectly fine. Much better than DMC4.
Oh God, thank you so much! You made me laugh so hard I took a colossal dump. Which was a relief as I've been a tad constipated lately. Now I just have to hope it'll flush, since the pile's so high it touches my ass when I'm sitting on my toilet.

All thanks to your retardation! Thank you!

Nintendo should like pull a DK/Warioware on Metroid and make Metroid Prime FULLY a standalone branch to the Metroid series, not just a "sub-series". shitty Metroid "canon" don't have to weaken it (i.e. Other M shit in Federation Force)

there's so much to do in the series, like Miyamoto said, but people are too busy making fanficition about a fugitive Samus getting raped by Feds.

even Sakamoto knows, but people don't realize he's a big fanboy to the Metroid Prime series.

>visuals
>shit opinion. DmC has some actual variety in level enviroments.
It also doesn't look nearly as sharp as DMC4, shadows look like shit, and runs at less than half the framerate on consoles.

That's some fine shitposting there, son.

Metroid 2 wasn't a very long game though, but still AM2R was shorter than ZM and it definitely had less going for it than that game as well.
It's a shame, but the game was mostly done by one guy so it's understandable. If speedrunners picked it up, it might keep some popularity, but people who played it once or twice already probably won't go back to it a lot.

>ever since Federation Force flopped this faggot has been parading around Metroid threads saying Prime irreversibly damaged the series

>but people don't realize he's a big fanboy to the Metroid Prime series.
h-how?

You can't even call them Metroidfags when they probably don't even like most of the series. It's just a bunch of snobby Super fans who want nothing but carbon copies of that particular game, though maybe with varying degrees of polished mechanics and better quality of life features.

It's not that surprising. Most freeware games take forever to make. Cave Story was in development for like 6 years by Pixel, and he didn't make a penny off the game until years later.

Nigger, are you new? This has been happening since Other M. It's been 6 fucking years, man.

he's been around since 2012 faggot

Metroidfags are THIS autistic

>Metroid 2 wasn't a very long game though, but still AM2R was shorter than ZM and it definitely had less going for it than that game as well.
What? ZM is definitely shorter and less fleshed out than AM2R. An average 100% run takes like twice as long as ZM.

Holy shit the comments about Zero Mission are mine, awesome! :)

Hey, I loved AM2R. It didn't stray from the formula of the original, and added in extra stuff like bosses and side areas where it was acceptable. And I am fucking grateful for that game. It was a new Metroid to look forward to for several years, and I was kinda sad when I finished it.

you need to expand on that image

I can't tell if this is ACfag, Speedboosterfag, or some weird mixture of both.

He's gone through a couple of revivals. After Other M it was particularly bad but from 2013 to early 2015 Metroid threads started getting comfy again with some pretty good discussion. Federation Force's announcement fucked that all up again.

The fact this game was made, was made by Square Enix, and is as fantastic as it is constitutes a miracle in my book

This applies more to Chronicles, but I agree.

Also this.
Though the gameplay in X is so good that it's still one of my favorite games of all time, and I think I prefer it to the original.

I agree. It's a shame there hasn't been a sequel.

bayo 2 was a lot more consistent than the first
the highs weren't as high but the tradeoff is there's no "press x to not die" shit, and the boss battles are actually fun on repeated playthroughs

You're quite observant aren't you?