Assuming the game is supposed to take place during the day which one of these looks better in your opinion

Assuming the game is supposed to take place during the day which one of these looks better in your opinion.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GZ99gAb4T0o
imgur.com/a/hNTcX
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Left, the one without the jaundice stairs

left

Depends on the tone of the game. Left-side looks like some tragic story, right-side looks like a happy-go-lucky world.

Is left a rom hack or something? The color palette of minish cap is awful

game?

Seriously I would replay minish cap if that rom hack exists. The colors put me off too.

This. The colour palette is probably the most important thing when it comes to setting the tone of a game, so there is no objective "best" for every situation.

right would be better without the mustard coloured dirt

this

both.
you see shadows of clouds. left when the sun is hidden behind clouds and right when you have direct sunlight.

I prefer left.

that's not exactly how illumination works my dude

It's an option in emulator. Literally any modern gba emu has option to "Use real gba colors"

Not a hack.
You can set colors to real game boy.

Left is best, Right looks like someone pissed all over the screen and it got stained

Well holy shit. Cheers.

I played the game on a real GBA, and neither left nor right look like an accurate representation of what playing it was like

What tone does this color palette convey to you?
Do you like it? Would you play it?

>(you)

Some kind of middle ground would be best for an adventure game. Take the left side and make it a touch lighter and it would be better.

Needs some scanlines.

it looks like the end of the world, mate. I sure fucking would play it.

Looks cool but the sky is too bright to the point that it makes it difficult for your eyes to focus on the playable space

The GBA had a cheap low res screen with a no/cheap backlighting that's hard to emulate on a £100+ IPS HD/4K LED monitor.

How about this?

right is painfully oversaturated

Better

Seems like a drug induced level ala Earthbound.

Looks like something straight outta Earthbound. Reminds me of Giygas.
Regardless, sky's too bright.

Left it's more true to the GBA colors and it looks better.

Thanks
How about this?

I like it, it's a lot easier on the eyes than before

Looks like I just stepped inside a TV to be honest

Right appears to be the native color? Am I wrong?
Left appears to be an adjustment. Left has better hues but it's a tad too dull. Like a cloudy day. Needs to be brighter overall.

Is the sky supposed to look like a dome? Because it's pretty obviously a dome. I can't help but thing that the obvious shape of the sky is affecting my interpretation of the color. It's just so distracting. I can't tell if it's distracting because it's red, or distracting because of it's shape. Or maybe a bit of both. All I know, is I don't like it.

Right looks more like daytime but it fucking hurts my eyes looking at it. so I prefer left

I like right more, but I guess it can get heavy to the eyes for long play sessions.

Somewhere in between.

>shit or shit, which do prefer?

The left looks so rich here

I like this

It looks like a dome because it's a sphere acting as a skybox.
It's only noticeable because it's a random texture stretched to look like there's a sun behind the horizon. A proper skybox texture will fix that

Also, which ones of these do you like? What do they remind you of? (sorry for the ant size pictures, but I think it's the easiest way to compare them all at the same time, without focusing on details)

ACKCHYUALLY

Colors on the right look like shit

Mind uploading the fullsize n one? It look pretty nice small.

Nah senpai, you gotta go all in, or go without.

What about being the first game where the player can set their own saturation, brightness and contrast?

What about make it part of game play like:
you have to find certain items, but they are visible only when super bright, super gloomy
important elements highlighted when low color
etc etc etc

If I had to choose between these, left because right is eye burning level of saturation
Ideally a slightly more colorful version of left would be best

I don't know what you're going for. But I'm a fan of earth tones, and natural color. h looks good Also zb, n, and zk. I might pick differently if I knew the direction you were shooting for.

Much better. Colors were clashing too much before.

Ok

It's a spooky and cartoonish game. Think Medievil, Psychonauts...

I like zm's night most. a and e nightmare landscapes are good too, also zb's sunset and dawn at f and h

also keep m around should toki ever need to tomare

Eh, depends on the mood. Sometimes I want cold colors, sometimes I want bright colors.

Games should allow players to adjust saturation however they want, like GTA.

I see... This is too much choice for me. Obviously the ones with darker skies come across as spookier. zg, x, and b. But also o, p, q, r, s, have a nice cartoon spook mix. p and o in particular.

There's just so many to consider, I'm not confident in my choice, but that's what I'm going with.

Lot of choices if it's a spooky game, i'd say it depend whenever you are going to classic can't see shit area or bright and uneasy.

I strongly recommend taking some time to watch this video. It's a level designer from Epic talking about contrast and how it affects level design.

youtube.com/watch?v=GZ99gAb4T0o

Oh shit, post "g", "p", "zc" and zg please, those look pretty cool.

Ideally a mix between the two.

Right seems more a tad more charming to me, but Left has a different appeal to it that I like.

I don't know OP.

Speaking of colors of Gameboy games, does there exist a website or archive with color palette recommendations for original Gameboy games? I love playing around with the palettes in vba.

10/10

The right looks much closer to how it looked like on my GBA SP.
I am guessing the left tries to emulate the fucking awful original models.

imgur.com/a/hNTcX

I have a lot of nostalgia for Minish Cap and I played it on the GBA SP, so it was always bright and colourful to me, but this honestly looks good.

>2016 indie game.png

Left looks more like a cloudy day. So is it cloudy out?

How do you even do this? I tried and it doesn't look anything like that.

Left looks much better, the right image is waayyy too yellow-tinted and hard to look at because it's so bright. I know right is what it looked like on my SP, so I'm glad someone's found a more ideal color balance for emulating because the color palette for TMC is one of the chief reasons I haven't replayed it.

Is it bad that minish cap is the only zelda game i truely enjoyed next to windwaker?

STAND BACK EVERYONE!

This is the best so far. Not dreary, makes you think of a sunny day in the forest and doesn't strain my eyes like I'm staring at the palette scheme of a fucking twinkie.

Do a 50% between these two and it'll be perfect

How is this a tough choice? Left, you stupid fucking children.

I don't know what your problem is, user. I just put it in photoshop and set the saturation to around +35.

No dude, you need to think outside the box here

>MUH SATURATION
>DURR 2 GRIMDARK
>ONLY 2 OPTIONS

This is what happens when you understand colors folks.

>claims to understand colors
>uses .jpg for pixel art

It was a .jpg to begin with dumbass. Also it's not like it gets MEGA-COMPRESSED in 2 fucking writes, especially if you're using a good codec at a high quality setting.

Get good senpai.

>image on a computer
>non pixel art

WRONGO, SUPREME VERSION HERE

>sweetfx.png

It's beautiful.

You make it look like shit?

It reminds me of Windwaker HD

Left, by far. Right is so overly-saturated that it's almost difficult to see some of the details. Plus the dirt road looks like cheese.

Left: UK
Right: Australia

>I just got to college and JPGs are evil because compresshun

Is this the xbone or ps4 version?

Left.

jpgs are good if you're doing photography or something. Not if you're using a format where you can see the individual pixels, and especially not if you're planning to do any editing to it.

Though it was my bad because I didn't realize wasn't an edit of the OP picture

>All these edgelords preferring night

TACTICAL NUKE INCOMING

F, G, N, Y, ZC, ZH, and ZK all look pretty nice.

Looks like an Amstrad CPC game.

are u retard

Someone should post a comparison of Aria of Sorrow. That game was oversaturated as FUCK!

Finally something for my refined tastes.

What game are you making? I want to follow the progress if possible cause it looks like it could be interesting.

G doesn't quite fit what you're going for, but I love it. Looks like a 3D hotline miami level, very nice pallette

Becouse the CV preceding it didn't take in account the brightness of the gba in account during the design phase which resulted in a drab, dark and boring looking game when played on the intended hardware.

I dunno, but how does this look?

>colour

It figures yuropoors would prefer the dreary version. Get some sun you faggots.

left is too dull but right is too bright.
Out of those two though, left.

literally perfect

Colours are off. Dirt is too yellow, grass should be a darker shade of green, the weeds are way too bright.

THE COLORS DUKE
THE COLORS

pokemon green

Even if it hurts my eyes, I kind of like those colors for some reason.

How the fuck can left looks so much better if they have both the exactly same graphics? Holy shit...

I love me some minish cap palette but you guys look like you're searching for the minish woods