PCbros

Ordered myself an MSI gaming laptop that will be arriving tomorrow, specs are pretty decent for the £649 I paid:

Skylake i7 6700HQ quad core
16gb ddr4
128gb ssd+1tb HDD
Geforce GTX 960m + 2gb gddr5 vram

This is my first jump into PC gaming having had an Xbox one, 3ds, Vita and ps4 previously, give me a list of good games I can run and download once it turns up!

Other urls found in this thread:

gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-960M-vs-GeForce-GTX-770
strawpoll.me/5972397/
youtube.com/watch?v=VR0UickugL4
youtu.be/kis-ZMy2ZQY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>gaming laptop
lol

pretty good, I paid 1k for a much worse spec laptop 3 years ago and it served me well during uni. Cred Forums will meme you about laptops but if you move around a lot a desktop isnt practical so got to do the best with what you got

Thanks man, yeah I needed the portability for uni so a laptop was my only choice.

>laptop

kys retard. You could buy 2x stronger system than that if you assembled pc parts.

that actually IS pretty damn good for less than 700 bongs. I´ve been running this now totally obsolete Asus G60VX since early 2010, and it still gets the job done in many games - so yours should do way better.

>give me a list of good games I can run and download once it turns up!
Short answer: you can run ALL of them. You may hafta adjust some settings down; no point running anything all "Ultra", ever.

Long answer... here´s some of my all time favorites, in no real order:

Doom -games (1-2, 64)
Duke Nukem 3D
Blood
Shadow Warrior 3D
Half-Life -series
Quake 1 & 2
Serious Sam -series
STALKER trilogy (see pic!)
FEAR + expansions
Portal 1 & 2
Far Cry 1
Crysis 1 + expansion
Max Payne 1-2
Worms: Armageddon
System Shock 1 & 2
Fallout 1 & 2
Killing Floor
Red Orchestra 2 + RS
Warcraft 3 + TFT
C&C: Red Alert 1 & 2
Witcher 1
Talos Principle

...also enjoy your emulation, up to Wii & PSP era.

Then focus on your fucking uni you subhuman cancer kid, you are the retards that ruin gaming, this is why I don't wear gaming gear, fucking hate you faggots, "oh look at me, le msi gaming laptop, totally I am gamer bro", no you are a faggot.

If you want to game in the train or bus use your fucking smarthphone or vita/3ds. If you want to do proper PC gaming, you do it on a desktop, not laptop.

>gaming laptop
typical brit retard

Lemme guess, you support Apple, or want OP to waste his money on some complete toy of a Chrome-book or something?

>handheld consoles and phone gaming
wow... that´s even fucking worse!

Seriously moron, please kill yourself. You´re embarrassing the whole mustard race.

>gaming laptop

You did bad. Should have gotten a laptop with a gtx1060 or wait for 1050 if you are on a lover budget. Unlike the 900m series, the gtx 10xx series isnt far behind their laptop counterparts.
Its why nvidia dropped the M in the name.

>underclocked bullshit GPUs aren't far behind

Doubt

>gaming laptop
>gaming
>laptop

people are still falling for this meme lmao

>buy a "gaming laptop"
>worst decision I ever made
>try to sell it as second hand after months of use
>no one wants it unless I drop to a lot less than 2/3 of the price
>silky smooth sub 30fps

If your gonna spend money, go all they way. why stop at 960m?

Thanks for the actual helpful advice user, you the real MVP.
I actually forgot about stalker! I played it years ago but I'll definitely be giving it another shot.
You're all faggots, get off your high horses and realise some people need the combination of portability and power.
Haha go fuck yourself you ignorant prick. Let me guess. You were born after 1995 right? I can 100% guarantee I have played more games in my time than you have you massive waste of space.
>Actually wants to wear gaming gear
How's living in your parents basement?
Would have loved too but yeah, low budget. Come on man I picked up the spec in op for £649, that's pretty good going

newer shit will always be better. A simple fact.
The 960M won´t be having any issues running any of the games out at the moment, most likely will keep running most games for years to come.

Hell, my 4 year old i3 + GT 540M 1GB can run even relatively new games, like MGS5, Talos and KF2, just fine at 720p / Low-ish settings, and anything pre-2010 (sans Crysis) just fine at ~High.

they´re merely underclocked for the most part. They use the same parts and design tho´.

because there´s a limit to everyone´s budget and/or availability of machines? The 1000-series machines ain´t even available in my 3rd world country yet, and they´re going to ask over 1500€ for the most basic 1060 versions.

>Silky smooth sub 30fps
Yeah, not with OP's spec

I am assuming the PC is 1080p.
That gpu ONLY has 1.4 tflops. ITS FUCKING TERRIBLE for 1080p. Thats bellow PS4 tier and we all know how good the ps4 is at 60fps.

This is exactly the point, I mean nvidia come out with new laptop GPUs every year right? There's always going to be better but for my budget the GTX 960m definitely seems like a good place to settle

>720p
We xbox 360 now.

Nah, you're talking out your ass.
The GTX 960M is a bit better than a desktop 770, which is miles better than the ps4.

it WILL be fucking fine.
Cred Forums is just full of wannabe "elites", who spam the >gayman laeptup meme

X360 ran most games at sub-720p, some times at literat 960x480, with some fake AA to compensate, at spider-silky 24fps (average).

besides, the machine has 768p 17" screen. It looks fine.

Lolwat? The 770 is at least 3.3 tflops as standalone and no rebrands.

gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-960M-vs-GeForce-GTX-770

Get real faggot

I hope you're playing your games on an ice box because anywhere else will melt.

you people really should stop living in 2005.

and learn to vacuum clean your room.

once a week. If you're going to game it's going to get hot. Even desktops get hot and they have multiple ways of cooling. Your lap top has 1, 2 fans? Enjoy your 45c+ temps.

You need to realize something buddy, you did your purchase, alright, we get it. Now you have to admit that your money was wasted on a shitty laptop.

Laptops are good for everything except new games. The CPU and GPU are undervolted and underclocked to hell so it doesn't overheat.

Even so, they do, because the space between your board and your keyboard its too tight, you know why desktops are so big? Because they need to breath, and even so they have HUGE sinks and HUGE fans.

Laptops don't even have fans attached directly to the hot parts, only copper pipes and a piss poor excuse of a fan that blows air to piss poor excuse of radiator.

All you are getting is a underpowered PC that you can take anywhere, nothing else. In 6 months you will want to play a new video game and you will be stuck to 720p and low settings.

>gaming
>laptop

pick 1

Don't listen to these meme spouting idiots OP. Cred Forums knows almost nothing about actual PC parts which is why the vast majority of them own 970's. Here's the lowdown about gaming laptops OP. They were a meme. Keyword: "were." They typically used under-powered parts for the sake of reduced power consumption, mobility, and heat better dispersal. The problem is you are literally paying 2-3x the price for equivalent desktop parts hence the "lol gaming pc" meme.

That's not true anymore.

However, that's ONLY true about the newest laptop parts. I'm talking about the new mobile skylake part (which you have) and the pascal mobile gpu (which you don't). The pascal GPU (10xx) mobile is literally the same card as the desktop version. Same performance. This has never happened before ever. The mobile part, GPU especially, has always been particularly handicapped. Unfortunately, you don't have the GPU. The 960m is really pretty bad. You will not be able to run modern games in 1080p at anything resembling 30fps without turning graphics settings way down (except maybe Overwatch). 60 FPS is completely out of the question. Your 960m is about equivalent to a desktop 750ti. You just paid 649 for performance that will be literally worse than a PS4.

Really bad deal OP.

If you game on your laptop in the bus or train, you deserve to be beaten up, fucking pathetic cancerous posers, you are not real gamers, real pc gamers game on desktop, not laptop.

No, I am 25. I've played more games than you and actually visited small community arcade halls to experience the origin of gaming, which I bet you didn't, fucking mongrel cancerous poser.

If you are university, you focus on your university, not on gaming. Game when you have freetime at your fucking house/room with a gaming PC, not some shit tier garbage hardware """"gaming"""" laptop.

If you are in the bus or train and are a loser that has nobody to talk to or nothing better to do than waste his time for a inferior trash tier "gaming experience", use your fucking smarthpohne or 3ds/vita, that is what they are for, portable handheld gaming devices.

If I ever see a faggot kid gaming on his laptop in a train/bus, I'll smash it, what the fuck is he going to do? I lift and keep my body strong, would knock him out easily, all you fake gamers are a disgrace.

Yeah, I would like to wear a cool dark souls tanktop I have, but I don't, because you file subhuman nerds, disgusting fat autists and kids ruin anything gaming related.

I don't want to be associated with fat manchildren who still play pokemon or have LE EPIC MSI GAMUR LAPTOP, fucking mongrels.

HAHAHAHA THIS NIGGER THINKS HE IS A GAMER, HAHAHAHA, THAT FUCKING RESOLUTION, THOSE FUCKING TEXTURES. THAT FUCKING FPS, NECKYOURSELF LAPTOP MOTHERFUCKER HAHAAHAHAHAH!

>get a thinkpad for asscheap
>get a desktop for rest
>have twice as good mobility and performance

It's quite funny how wrong you are.
Look up 'msi gl62 6qf' on YouTube and look at the gameplay videos of people running GTA v at 1080p, 60fps on high. The Witcher 3, 1080p, 30fps, high. Rise of the tomb raider, 1080p, 30fps, high. Dark souls 3, 1080p 30fps, high.

The GPU is absolutely fine, especially for a BUDGET fucking laptop. It'll run everything you throw at it medium-high.

>But le 30fps
Go fuck yourself, it's better than a console.

>Skylake i7
>16gb ddr4
>gtx 960m

that is exactly the reason why buying laptops for gaming is shit. For a decent gpu you need to spent 1500+, but for that you can get a way better pc with better parts.

>Tank top
HAHAHA shut your mouth you little bitch your comment is automatically disregarded.
Fucking tank top, don't make me laugh

>those games
Good taste user.

I don't think you realise that I didn't buy a laptop specifically for gaming. I'm doing a Masters and I need a new laptop, but I thought hey why not spend a little bit more and get something that can run some newer games?
This board is utter cancer sometimes.

Good luck with that buddy. Youre clearly in denial. Have fun running anything that came out after January at anything beyond medium-low for hopefully 30fps. Or you could've got a ps4 for half the price and got superior performance. What do I care its not my money you wasted.

Yeah good luck with the pursuit of 4k 60fps, what do I care it's not my life wasted.

Wow, someone is salty that OP has a better computer than your toaster

Gaming laptop master race reporting in

1v1 me irl fucking nerd, lets see how tough you are.

>not building a sub-1k desktop and getting a cheapo Thinkpad for Uni
C'mon buddy

For someone who is just getting into PC gaming, OP, I'd say it is a fair purchase.

Most of the faggots on this board will meme
>gaemen laeptahps
to the death, but if you are just getting started, and aren't too sure about building a solid desktop, its a decent purchase.

I got a gaming laptop when I was in the military. Much easier to transport than a desktop, and even my old toaster laptop served me well for a couple years. She still runs, but is just a little old now.

I have an ASUS 7xx ROG (I don't know the terminology, it was the best they had at the Exchange on the base I was at, and I didn't need to bum a ride to go get one.) and it is just fine for my needs.

Eventually I'm going to get a pre-built desktop, but I just don't have the money right now.

Hope you enjoy your new laptop OP, and I hope it gives you hours of fun and entertainment.

Yes because it's possible to build a gaming PC AND buy a thinkpad for £649.
Why does nobody in this thread realise £650 was my budget. And why can nobody just admit I did good for that money. You couldn't get a desktop that good for that money

>Irl
I don't use gay ass abbreviations, therefore I am not the nerd you are my good friend.

Thank you user, it's nice to see somebody who isn't raging in a thread of morons.
I will enjoy it and I'm sure it'll be absolutely perfect for my needs. Hope you get your dream desktop soon enough!

You can only play games on those things for maybe an hour if you're lucky OP. And the kind of games that don't suck power don't need to be played on le ebin gayman laptops.

>Now you have to admit that your money was wasted on a shitty laptop.
I own TWO laptops. The older one´s sitting on my lap as I type this thing, and it´s working just fine. Yeah, the more demanding games it can still run do make its GPU climb to around 90 degrees Celsius, but that´s still within bearable limits, especially since I game on a desk + cooler pad anyway.

The size and implied weight have never been an issue. If 3kg is "too much" for ya, you really need to go out and start lifting.

>In 6 months you will want to play a new video game and you will be stuck to 720p and low settings
it´s already 7 years old, purchased as used too, and still works fine. It also has 1366x768 screen, so 720p works fine for me. Depending on the game, I can go all-High + forced 2x MSAA (like in STALKER and Source games), or low-med combos with locked fps (ie. KF2). That´s more than enough for me on the go.

>If you game on your laptop in the bus or train, you deserve to be beaten up
I could report people like you to the feds if I wanted to, you know?

And no, I do not game on bus or trains. I have watched films and such on a train though. Vidya I play on a table.

>muh REAL gaymers
you´re just a pathetic Cred Forumsirgin fuck.

You first.
I got myself a fine 1080p capable desktop for my """real""" gaming back at home.

And here we go again...
Do you idiots really think laptop owners game on a fucking battery??
Also, Optimus is included in every single Nvidia + Intel HD combo laptop nowadays.

Hi OP, no need to samefag your bad purchase.

I seriously hope this is bait. Performance wise you were actually probably better off with that xbone

no, you would not be.
Gb2/SiliconValley, Bill.

>people actually defend gaming laptops

>Spending $850 USD on a laptop
Funny, that's exactly what my desktop cost me, with an overpriced 480 and a bought copy of Windows 10
Lrn2 budget

>Do you idiots really think laptop owners game on a fucking battery??

>some people need the combination of portability and power.

By Poe's Law you're either shitposting or experiencing severe buyer's remorse. If it's the latter, then no I don't think you did well with that mobile GPU. And for a "budget" laptop it isn't really spectacular. You probably paid 75 britbucks more than you ought to have with that GPU. At least the laptop specs aren't shit outside of that or you'd be a retard beyond hope.

way to exaggerate faggot.

Man the amount of salty cunts in this thread is hilarious. Fact is OPs laptop should be ~£1000 range but he got it for £649

I approve

>gaming laptop

>not having a work laptop and a gaming dekstop
FUCKING PLEBEIANS REEEEEE

A 480? Are you deluded?
The gtx 960m in OP is miles better than that

>not having a gaming laptop and a self-built gaming desktop
fucking poorfag tryhard elitists!
ironic, since I got all that as a poor student few years ago.

Bragging about how he has visited community arcade halls to "experience the origin of gaming". This guy is really bragging about his "knowledge" about "good" videogames.
>Fake gamers
Holy shit, this is really pathetic. Damn.

I'm not the OP, dipshit

I bought my gaming laptop for $1600

I'm an American, he is a Britbong

Seems pretty good to me, OP. I have a laptop with the same graphic card and it's worked really well for me. An advice I'd give you would be to emulate some games too, I mean, you can play last gen games perfectly fine and such, but emulation works very well too.

>Ordered myself a gaming laptop

Thanks for the reassurance user.
What sort of stuff can you emulate well? Wouldn't mind trying some GameCube/wii games!

Seems like a great purchase, enjoy it. Don't ask advice here, man. Cred Forums gets pretty salty about gaming laptops.

>tfw picked up a laptop with a 4gb 950m instead of a 960m in order to get a better cpu for emulating
>tfw all the reviews saying it was a decent card lied and i can barely run shit released last year on low settings at 720p@27~ fps if I'm lucky

Like I straight up cannot hit the benchmarks touted by most of the reviews I read up on despite having a better cpu and equivalent ram.

Is there a way to see if I'm being bottlenecked somehow? Or if the damn thing is underclocked somehow?

Sure thing OP.

You could have gotten a gaming rig, with screen, mouse and keyboard included, and played modern games at 1080p 60fps on ultra easy.

Now you are stuck with 720p and 60fps or 1080p 30fps at best on low.

not same user, but GC/Wii emulation´s been damn good for a while now, and assuming you got at least 3Ghz multi-core CPU (most likely you do in turboboost), you should be able to run most games just fine, at enhanced resolutions even.

Anything pre-Game Boy Advance, including PS1 and N64 emulation, is a literal piece of cake; I already did that over a decade ago on a 1-core PC with no GPU.

Are you running at 1080p? Drivers up to date?
Reviewers may have been running at 720p but the 950m is significantly worse than the 960m

Shitflinging, counter-shitflinging and memeing aside, you made a solid purchase that's both good and bad. Good as in it's a pretty solid machine for the price (although MSI's fetish for the awful Killer NICs is fucking stupid) and it'll probably run a game or a few at an enjoyable level of performance.

The bad part is that gaming laptops aren't actually that good at the traditional laptop tasks. They make a whole lot of sense if you need something that can be easily transported from one battlestation to the other, for example LAN parties and are the ideal use cases where they are extremely effective. Uni studies aren't that ideal though, at least if you wanted to use it for "taking notes" during lectures and other shit why students usually get laptops, for that you need more battery life and sheer portability which most gaymen laptops aren't usually too good at providing. There are exceptions, but most of them are wildly expensive.

That said, if it works for you then there's no point in trying to argue otherwise. I'm just saying that getting a gaymen laptop for studies isn't a good idea, most of the time that's just an excuse to rationalize the purchase and I sure hope you didn't go there.

That's actually a good deal, every year gaming laptops get more and more reasonable. Gaming laptops are a meme on Cred Forums because no one leaves their room anyway so the portability is useless.

Plug your charger in, Set power settings to Performance, Open your nvidia control panel and add the game to the list of applications that use it.

>gaming laptop

strawpoll.me/5972397/
strawpoll.me/5972397/
strawpoll.me/5972397/

You are just jealous my computer is better than yours, that is all.

Kys

Exaggeration, again.
I couldn't have got a desktop rig like you described for £649 you fucking moron. I did look beforehand to see how much better off I would've been trying for a desktop. Answer? Not better off at all.

Nope, running it at 720p - which is a lower res than the benchmarks I've consulted. And yeah, I'm starting to see that the difference between an x50 card and a x60 card is way bigger than I anticipated.

Already did all that famalam. Thanks for the advice though.

>unironically shaming laptop users
excuse me while OP enjoys his system that´s not only stronger, but also way more versatile and useful than ANY console ever released, enjoying the same benefits as any ""real"" PC gamer would (mods, emulation, no generations, actual work-related tools and possibilities...)

I also am looking for a gaming laptop

Live in USA, any tips or best sites to buy em?

>Gamecube/Wii games
Absolutely, use the Dolphin emulator, it works amazingly good and you can use a normal controller if you want instead of having to buy a wiimote.
Ps2 games can be emulated perfectly too. I personally use PCSX2. I'm not really sure about Dolphin, but I know that with the PCSX2 you can emulate the games directly from a PS2 CD (I've literally bought Ps2 games to use them there, since my Ps2 got rekt).
And about the performance, it's great too. I've been playing the last Tomb Raider game with max graphics and everything works fine. Good luck, user.

Ebay.

Got myself a 1000$ laptop for mere 400 few years ago.

>gaming laptop
>using a laptop for games
>gaming
>laptop

Did you do this?

What memory is the GPU using? According to the spec sheet, it accepts DDR3 as well which is incredibly slow compared to GDDR5. A common "marketing tactic" with lower end GPUs is piling on a shitload of cheap and slow ass memory, which gets a bigger number on the box to attract customers. The part about you getting burned by unexpectedly terrible performance doesn't matter, the manufacturer already has your money.

Definitely wasn't an excuse to rationalise it thankfully, I don't take my laptop into uni almost ever, i just much prefer to be able to sit on the sofa and work on a laptop than a desktop. And to have the option to take it in if I ever need to.

>Strawpoll
>Made by elitist desktop fag
>No option for 'desktopfag'
>Voted on exclusively by desktopfags

Conclusive evidence right here everybody, thread over

>Who is definitely more retarded?
You, man.

>not using a laptop as the ultimate "console"
kys pleb ktnxbai

Have the same specs but in a GL752 by Asus, runs Overwatch @60-90ish or more fps

Well, at least you didn't spend too much on it. Just remember, the only reason you get a gaming laptop is the fact that you move around A LOT. If and when you come to realize that you don't move around as much as you think you would, you will soon regret your purchase, especially when you have to turn settings down for games on a machine that costs much more than a middle grade PC.

IPS or TN monitor?
PG278Q or PG279Q

Are you for fucking real you faggot?

Poptarts in case you want to buy a upgrade of something, lets say a better version of RX 480 or a better screen.

Face it OP, your purchase was bad and you should feel bad.

960m = 1.4tflops
RX 480 = 5.5 tflops

Doesnt even compete.

Yup.

GDRR3, though I knew that beforehand. My issue is that the thing seems to tun even worse than the benchmarks indicate it should despite its low-ish power by modern mobile gpu standards. I'm not sure why it can't hit the performance targets everyone else seems capable of reaching with it.

Im pretty sure he means the radeon 480x

>Ddr3
>Unbranded parts
>amd
>FUCKING AMD

kill yourself user.

>can never be upgraded
>0 possibility of even basic expansion
>literally an overpriced PC with an expiration date
>shitty stereo audio
>stuck using tiny, sub-par screen forever
>inherent heat issues that only get worse over time
>no multi monitor support
>repairs must be done through manufacturer, no easy at-home fixes

But at least it's portable brahs! #YOLO

Console gamers buy into the same thing for $300 but their machines can use whatever monitors they want. Laptards = biggest retards on the planet.

>UGHH GUISE MUH GAMING LAPTOP IS COOL
>PLS NO BULLY ;_;
>AMD SUCKS ;____; PLS KILL YOURSELF

top kek m8, you suddenly don't like mediocre hardware? Then why buy a laptop? DDR3 and DDR4 have no impact on performance of the game.

Also, the GPU alone has more power than your laptop combined.

Just ignore the morons. Cred Forums´s always like this whenever someone mentions gaming on a laptops. I´m pretty sure it´s literally one or two samefags shitposting it in every thread, with handful of bored morons just playing along.

You did great. The machine´s gonna perform well for a long while if you take good care of it, and don´t try to crank all settings to absolute maximum.

You got 30+ years worth of PC vidya to enjoy, and around as much console games you can emulate as well. On top of that, you have the benefit of mods, that can provide experiences, even whole games, that are not available anywhere but on a PC.

protip: People will keep bashing sub-1080p resolutions, but seriously now; you´ll be playing on a < 17" screen, meaning tiny as fuck pixel density. 900p looks just great on a 1080p screen of that size, and even 1366x768 / 720p can be passable.

All these "low res" modes not only help the performance quite a ton, but also help you keep the machine´s temperatures lower! I did just that on my Asus G70 when playing MGS5; the thing could run it at 1080p just fine, but playing at 900p dropped temps from ~85 to ~70, average, and provided rock solid 60fps.

Fair enough, if you knew what you were getting into then have fun, it really does seem like a decent deal. It's just that many have no idea and end up getting burned as a result, some ending up in the chorus of morons screaming at the slightest glimpse of a gaymen laptop because someone on the internet once said bad things about them.

Here we go you piece of shit. Poptarts included.

Good advice on the 900p, thanks user I'll definitely give it a shot, especially as I plan to be playing a lot of MGSV!

>only 1 order of poptarts
0/10 kysmm

Congratulations on making the dumbest investment possible. Not as good as a desktop yet they cost more and are only good for a short stretch of time. Laptops are for work and other personal use. Buying one for gaming will bite you hard in the ass, sooner than later.

>No SSD
>purple case
>Purple LEDs

Keep trying user, i really value your time

>gaming laptop
lmaoing at your life. if you're out and about, don't fucking play games like some cringy retard with ADD.

And this is for work and personal use as I've already said, the gaming ability is a nice bonus. And a good bonus with a spec like that.

>i-if I nitpick him to hell, that will make my shitty laptop magically a good purchase.

Oh look another salty little bitch, say hi kids!

No problem broski.
Hope you´ve played MGS1-4 + PW before the MGS5 games, as the story progresses and grows in very linear fashion in the series.

MGS is still the one series I highly recommend playing on a console, namely PS3, thanks to its Legacy Collection + fact that #4 is an exclusive.

SSD has no impact on performance, only on loadings.
THe case has no impact on performance at all.

You tried/10

That pc can run games at least 3x better than your craptop.

youtube.com/watch?v=VR0UickugL4

>cant even get 60fps on far cry 4 on LOW

how about you get a computer/console for gaming and a laptop for work like a functional human being?

Oh yeah I've played every game in the series at least twice, including mg1+mg2. I have a ps3 too where i playthrough mgs4 all the time.
It'll just be nice to be able to play through MGSV again on a decent laptop instead of the mess it is on ps3!

>All this gaming laptop hate.
I don't think people have tried gaming on a laptop for a while. That's why there is so much hate.
I have a job where I'm out at sea for months with no personal space so I ended up getting a gaming laptop a year ago from Sager for 2k.
Its still running fine. It's plays all the games that come out at least medium quality. And I never have heating issues. When my desktop broke down I didn't even bother replacing it because my laptop was doing so well. I'm happy with it.

the difference may not end up being as huge as you´d expect, but the faster framerate, sharper textures, and IMO much better controls on KB+M (crazy, I know) still make the PC port the best version. Shame the game itself is quite meh, especially towards the end...

Hi Op.

Holy shit. even a 290x can get 80 on Max.

youtu.be/kis-ZMy2ZQY
I see 60fps on med-high broski. Ram makes all the difference in this case.

Saved for later.

You literally know nothing about computers.

I was being sarcastic, it's clear these videos vary wildly

Yeah I loved the game and most of the story but it fell apart so bad. It's such a shame :(

>uni
>bring my desktop to apt/dorm/whatever
>cheap ThinkPad for class/studygroup/programming work
Thi setup cost me $200 when I went to uni and I sacrificed neither performance when I was home playing games nor portability for classes, both of which you need to do with a gaming laptop that costs much more.

Most of the time I didn't even bring the laptop because I find it easier to take notes on paper.

>1600x900
>"Hey you know what would be a good idea? The rest of the tech world is going beyond 1080p and low graphical fidelity, even on consoles - but I'm going avant garde here. I'm going to spend MORE money than a real computer would cost to go backwards in all possible areas of gaming! Hell I'll even buy it twice when the inevitable heat damage occurs next week!"

Looks good
Where did you buy it?

Have fun, OP.

Have one myself, though with a 970m. I keep it at work and screw around a lot on it when I'm not busy. Should be a good foray into PC gaming, and will give you lots of good ideas for that day you get your first gaming desktop.

Nevermind the salt. It's all just jelly unloved virgins.

>PC Gaming
>PCucks actually trying to brag about paying 700+ dollars for shitty hardware
Ayy lmao

this spergout deserves to be screencaped

>960m
>decent
you're in for a world of hurt

OP please don't listen to these faggots. I have an MSI laptop as well. One in the 1,500$ range, bought it from a friend for 500 bucks when he was strapped for cash. His loss. Plays everything on the highest settings, it DOES GET HOT, but what do you expect? get a fucking cooling pad and put it in a well ventilated space. Everyone here is just salty that you don't have some absurdly faggoty box that sits in your "battlestation".

Nothing better then slipping my laptop into it's case and walking out the door to a friends house to game there.

those are good games but they are in no way resource intensive whatsoever
except for talos if you really wanna fuck with settings

I'm calling copypasta for the next few months

this
buy an i5 thinkpad from 2010 for like $100-150 and be done with it

>visited small arcade halls to experience the origin of gaming
>25

Yeah, no, that's not old enough. Arcades were dragging out their existence with Mortal Kombat and Cruisin' USA when you were still in diapers.

>900p

You got me! Thats totally 1080p.

It's a 15.6 in screen, 900p is fine.
Not all of us need muh 4k 60fps you utter faggot

Thanks user! Jelly of that 970m but hopefully the 960 keeps me going for a little while

Hi OP.

why would "Good" also equal "demanding"?
Though STALKER games can still genuflect even strongest PCs around if you crank settings up and / or use heavy mods.

Still, OP didn´t ask for "benchmark" titles. He asked for GOOD games. The Talos Principle and SS3 are kind of both tho´ ... I´ve spent way too many hours in those gigantic Options menus of theirs.

obviously this is bait but
>If I ever see a faggot kid gaming on his laptop in a train/bus, I'll smash it
are you seriously going to beat up dumb teenagers who asked their mum for a cool laptop because neither of them knew better? seriously? you're 25 and bragging about beating up literal children? yeesh

never said good = demanding, but he's clearly asking about stuff that'll run fine on his laptop
and most of those games will run on a toaster

likely he's trying to see how far he can push his 960m

if you wanted to strain your eyes from looking at a tiny ass screen at 30fps you should have stuck with consoles
it's not your fault though, they make these laptops to trick console retards like you into buying overpriced hardware

He did get the answer tho´:
He can run ANY game. Just not at Ultra + steady 60fps in some of the more modern stuff. Nor will he need to use such settings anyway.

>straining your eyes
OK, that´s kinda original, I give you that
>Overpriced
on the fucking contrary.

Not op, check the amount of posters you fucking troglodyte. Just here to throw in my support. Seriously, how salty can you be?

>Overpriced

Are you kidding? That spec on a laptop usually runs >£1000. THAT'S overpriced

Hey guys.

My old computer is crapping out on me but thanks to new job I moved closer to a Fry's electronics and get money for new pc.

Was thinking of doing something like this, what needs to be changed or improved to make it better for less than $1200.

if he's looking to play some of the newer DX12 titles he'll probably have to resort to the lowest of the low settings though

Smaller SSD?

Out of curiosity what games would they be?
The most intensive I can see at the moment is the Witcher 3 and that runs at an easy 30fps on medium at 1080p

Ditch the SSD and water cooling.
Invest in a good 7200rpm HDD and good aircooler.

>some of the newer DX12 titles
You mean THE only DX12 title on the market, right?

So far, DX12 is fucking irrelevant, and used in some total console-trash tier games. I honestly hope and believe it might only end up being the curse of Windows Store releases, meaning literal fucking nothing.

I'm jealous OP. I paid more with shittier specs a year ago, but it is better than being stuck in the waiting limbo.

If you don't mind playing some intensive games at 1080p 30fps, then you're good to go. I played Witcher 3 at that, and it kind of sucked dipping below 30fps. MGSV runs like butter with postprocessing, dof, motion blur off and everything else extra high at 60fps, though it dips to 30-40 when there's a lot of shadows and lighting going on.

that thing´s fucking outstanding for its price!
got this Packard Bell craptop (i3 @ 2.1Ghz, 6GB DDR3, GT 540M 1GB, W7 x64) back in early 2012 for 399€ from a sale, the original price being 599€. And it can still run many games on low settings.
You just snatched over 10x faster and stronger machine, for mere 50 dosh more!

>DX12 is fucking irrelevant
>I honestly hope and believe
you're a retard and i hope you die
get the fuck out of the way of progress

keep the SSD and watercooling, that asshole has no idea what he's going on about
maybe get a cheaper cooler though
and not shitty-ass adata

>dx12 titles
>witcher 3
come on man

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support
Stop Posting Any Time

>DX12
>"progress"
good one! So far I´m only seeing another DX10 in training; a poor little waste of time to be overshadowed by Vulkan.

support =/= requirement.
my late 90s craptop with DX10 only Nvidia chip can still run DX11 games thanks to most of the games only having "support" for it. Heck, DX9 is still around even in many fairly new games.

>my late 00s craptop
FTFM, before b8s jump on that detail like faggy sharks

>late 90's
>dx10 support
8000 series was the first to support dx10 so try again

you mean the ONE game that uses vulkan

nah fag you're still making up shit that didn't happen
also most late 2000's mobile gpus barely supported dx10

but you've made it a clear you're a retard who doesn't know shit about technology, what with hating on SSDs and all

>also most late 2000's mobile gpus barely supported dx10
I got my 8800GT in 2008, and those cards already had mobile counterparts.
Asus G60VX shipped with GT260M in 2009, and that´s what I have too.

Keep on pulling out those memes and buzzwords. They just might make you sound smart one day.

>MSI gaming laptop
Just stop.

Laptops are only good for mobile computing/internet browsing.

Invest in one only if you're going to do work on it. If you're in 's position you're still better served by getting a handheld when you're really bored and want to play a game in transit. Battery problems, eventual maintenance costs and weaker overall performance make laptops unfit for gaming even when billed as such.

>Laptops are only good for mobile computing/internet browsing.

Clearly they're not looking at the spec in op

Where'd you get it from?

You´re a couple hours late to start shitposting, and a full decade to spew out that retarded bullshit.

Thanks for the bump tho. Now excuse me while I go host a server and play some sweet shootan games w/ my friends online, on a laptop.

Some parts are great for now, They'll be outdated in two years tops. That 960m is going to fall off quickest. The Quadcore is superfluous at best, and same goes for the RAM.

2GB of VRAM is already not enough for the games coming out nowadays.

Learn what to look for when you're getting computer parts. Do research on this stuff. Computers are investments. Get parts that'll go long-term (relatively speaking) while giving you good performance.

That's great. Enjoy replacing the whole thing every couple of years chasing some semblance of playability. You're the sort to have more money than brains anyways if you think that warrants bragging.

k whatever not gonna argue with a fag who thinks ssds don't give real-world speed boosts

>objective facts about technology not being able to keep up
>HURRR SHITPOSTING
not even him but wow you're a fag too
are you DON'T GET AN SSD guy?

>Enjoy replacing the whole thing every couple of years chasing some semblance of playability
Interesting... I guess I´m using an imaginary laptop at the moment then, knowing it was made in 2009....

They literally do not provide any difference in majority of the games out at the moment, and suffer of much quicker data-rot than HDDs, thanks to their limited re-write counts.

KNEW IT

yeah everyone ignore this guy, he's desperately clinging to his old tech and pretending it's good enough playing on the lowest of low settings at 15fps

>gaming laptop
ouch :\

enjoy tf2 because it's the only thing that'll manage to *barely* run on your machine

>desperately clinging
more like making the use of the helluva good deal I made back in the days, surprised it can still get the job done so well.

>lowest of low
Talos Principle defaults to Medium-Medium-High, which I´ve adjusted manually to fit my needs and tastes.
MGS5 runs smooth as butter without any tweaks.
...and so on and so forth. I´m perfectly happy with this little thing, but I do not deny that I would not prefer the 24" 1920x1200 screen and the processing power of my 2011 built i5 + GTX 560ti back at home.

lol nope! Was talking about Red Orchestra 2 here, which runs just fine at the native 720p + medium settings.

>MGS5 runs smooth as butter without any tweaks.
To be fair, MGSV is surprisingly well optimized considering it comes from Konami and Kojima Studios, companies/developers who didn't release on PC all that often (though from what I know MGS1 and 2's ports were solid and they were done years ago) so using that as a benchmark is a little iffy.

Still if you get that level of playability out of your laptop I think that's more of a testament to your ability to recognize what you need in a PC moreso than the laptop's power, so take this all as a relative compliment.

>overkill cpu + ram
>garbage tier gpu

nice one m8

No not OP. Just a random user. I would've never tried it if not for my job. Now that I have though they really aren't that bad. I understand your argument though if you've never used a recent gaming laptop.

Speaking of overpriced laptops, I've been searching for this one specific model that was posted some weeks ago...

It has a 19-20"+ screen. (certainly over 18.4") ...and I think it may be the biggest gaming laptop to ever hit mass market. but it hasn't been released yet. I think it was white. Does anybody know what make and model it is?

>build $2000 rig for home use
> when I'm not studying in between classes I use steam inhome streaming with my desktop as a host server and my surface pro as the client
>still get better performance and battery life than gaymen laptop

As someone who owned a top of the line at the time Sager NP8295 (4700hq/780m) I can unbiasedly say that gaming laptop are a fucking meme. The batteries are worthless they are unwieldly and super heavy and you look like a jackass in class with them. They're also super loud and will bother your classmates if used in class. Seriously consider building a top of the line desktop and get a somewhat mediocre but still usable daily driver laptop

>$1100 leafbucks
you definitely fucked up

Nah, he did fine for that price. Obviously GTX 1060 one would be a lot stronger, but it would also cost something like twice that much, hardly worth it unless you really, really want to run newest games on ultra. GTX 960m isn't even that bad, it can run most games 1080p/60fps as long as you are willing to cut some eye candy.

>They're also super loud and will bother your classmates if used in class.
oh god
i had a dv6-3000 series that had horrible heating problems and sounded like a jet engine
i remember all the dirty looks

go away "i hate ssds" fag, you've made it clear you have no idea what you're talking about

Good laptop. I have a similar MSI and it runs great

What you're saying is true with those obnoxiously huge top of the line gaming laptops, but those low-end gaming laptops aren't really any louder than normal laptops, hardly weigh more that a comparable non-gaming laptop of equal size and have acceptable batteries too. Obviously ultrabooks are still better as daily drivers, but it's not like you couldn't use something like OP's machine for that too.

>go away "i hate ssds" fag, you've made it clear you have no idea what you're talking about
The fuck are you talking about? That was my first post in the thread and I didn't even mention SSDs in it?

> falling for the gaming laptop meme

>Failing for the gaming laptops are a meme meme

i got pic related for uni recently, looks like the specs are a bit lower than yours but it runs most things before 2014 at least on medium
got a ps4/wiiu for any new releases it cant handle

"my name is chris and i hate myself"

everybody hates chris

well he was a nigger after all

So the summary of this thread is that people who travel and work overseas shouldnt game at all?

Well I'm loving my 3 year old Alienware. Though its on its last leg after 2 tours to afghanistan, a tour in Anartica, a couple trips to Thailand, and many other places.

Anyone have any advice on what alienware I should replace this one with?

Most people here don't even leave their house. Others have never gone out more than a week. Looking for opinions here is a waste of time.

Try Cred Forums and if it fails, you know where to go.

Can pretty much guarantee you got ripped off on price.

Can definitely guarantee you ripped yourself off by buying a game system before compiling a list of games you want to play on that system.

We see this thread every day, 'just bought [platform], tell me what games to get.' You're doing it wrong, you moronic faggot.

Your right. Theres nothing wrong with buying a gaming laptop, but only if you live on the road like I do because of my job.

>gaming laptop

>Gaming laptop

Stopped reading.

>Hey "PCBros", I'm going to be a PC gamer too! ... PCbros!
>i bought a gaming laptop!

>FEAR + expansions
You like good games user.

I pray to god every day that someone will give me the key for this video

Please for the love of my dick user tell me you got it

That's almost 900 real dollars.

You could have had gtx 1060 (250)
6600k (220)
Mobo (200)
16gb RAM (50)
Case (100)

But no. You got some portable hilarity with a 4-generation old mobility version of shitty card for even more than what a current gen build costs.

At least you upgra- oh wait.

So what should people who have jobs that require they be on the road? Just not game like this user?

get a better job, hobo

>gaming laptop

Use your phone like a human, not that I believe this nonsense about a road job.

>people who have jobs

just dont be retarded like me getting a hueg bulky T5XX thinkpad, that was a dumb choice for a "portable" computer

autism: the thread

I'm sorry you dont have a skill set that gets you a job that pays great and sends you to some kick ass locations.

>pic related its Antarctica

>gtx 950
i keep forgetting there's a lower tier than the 960, it just sounds so weird

>having a job

>It's a 15.6 in screen, 900p is fine.
you'd maybe have a point if it was a 14" screen

laptop screens are so fucking pitiful, can't imagine I even settled with some cheap 1366x768 in a 15" before. Switching to 1080p was great.

Meanwhile my tiny phone has 1440p or whatever

Uh huh. And your job title is?

Bitch fucker. I fuck bitches. Get in line.

That's actually pretty good, you could have had something far worse. You can actually use it for games.

Evil Within,
Doom,
Life is Strange, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and maybe some others.

THIS user IS BUYING COMPLETE SHIT WITH HIS MONEY
WHILE YOU SIT THERE ON YOUR ASS AND SHITPOST
CLICK HERE TO DIE

>click
>nothing happens

Is it the one with a curved screen with a GTX 1080 inside of it? That may be the one.

>ctrl f
>rocket league
>0 hits

You guys are jerks. Get rocket league, it's the best.

IT'S NOT WORKING