Skies of Arcadia

I heard Cred Forums loves this game so can we talk about how awesome it is?

>Game starts with you robbing someone
>Vyse is one the most based MCs of all time. Almost always optimistic, never afraid to take risks, can build his own rudimentary airship, proves the world is round, and becomes the king of pirates
>Dem airship battles
>Does plot twists like when the Silver Shrine falls from the moon to break Soltis' shield
>Dat swashbuckler rating and getting store discounts when you become the legend
>Doing bounties
>Finding Zyvlin Bane
>Recruiting crew members

This was the best console RPG of its generation

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11324122
youtube.com/watch?v=Qnpw9v4SATM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Guess not then

Skies of Arcadia, more like skies of random encounters. Boring as fuck JRPG that tries to ride on pirate aesthetic and fails miserably at creating a feeling of adventure because you get interrupted by random encounters every 30 seconds. If Magellan was interrupted by fish jumping on board of his ship every 30 seconds and trying to murder him his expedition would fail as well.
It also has shit combat system which is exploitable as fuck thanks to abilities granting complete immunity to enemy attacks, shit setting full of shounentrash cliches, boring as fuck MC, even more bland main girls, MYSTERIOUS ANCIENT CIVILIZATION and their EVIL WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION. This trash is only praised because Dreamcast was completely devoid of games to a point when people who bought that shit developed a heavy case of Stockholm syndrome.

>doesn't even mention the music

where's my HD remaster Sega?

Skies of Arcadia is a weird game, I absolutely adore it, and I pre-ordered it and played it upon release, but throughout the years I never felt an urgency to beat it, irregardless of how engorged in the experience I became.

I only recently beat it and I still love it, it really is a unique experience with its own unique twists, however I have no clue why it's one of the only games I can easily put down and not bother picking up again.

Where my Aikabros at?

yeah. the encounters rate was horribel. even in the game cube version. would not be so bad if you could run form it.

I know for me I just didn't want it to end, that's why I had a hard time forcing myself to beat it. Subsequent replays never quite recaptured the same magic as the first play.

You heard wrong bitch. Cred Forums hasn't even played this game yet.

>This was the best console RPG of its generation
Probably easily my favorite of that gen and among my all time favorites.

It's one of the few games I'll pick up and play through once every few years. It's still really fun every time. I still have to bust my ass getting all the discoveries and bonus bosses

You can run from random encounters.

The encounter rate is only horrible because of the long loading times. You could literally hear the next encounter coming on the Dreamcast and you had to sit to wait for all the enemies to load out.
Luckily the Gamecube version sped up the loading, but the sound quality suffered because of it.

This. SoA is one of my top 3 jrpgs, but you have to fight 5+ loopers every ten seconds when you're flying. And if I remember correctly, a lot of your attacks miss them. Still, the soundtrack was cool, the characters were the best, and I still remember places like Ixa Taka and Yafutoma pretty vividly. I even met my first middle school girlfriend through a mutual interest in the game.
I'm almost afraid to play it a second time since I know it won't hold up the way it did when I was 11.
BUT I WOULD STILL PAY 30 BUCKS FOR A PC PORT, SEGA.

>I thought Vyse was a girl from the cover art

Skies of Arcadia is my second favorite RPG, and I play the shit out of it. The encounter rate, while annoying, doesn't really detract from the game for me.
Please sega, I'll throw money at a HD remaster for the game.

>Incredibly basic combat system
>Every battle takes forever
>Random encounter rates are higher than any JRPG in existence

I loved the world and characters and music but I tried to replay it and it is just such a slog that I cannot get through it.

>BUT I WOULD STILL PAY 30 BUCKS FOR A PC PORT, SEGA.

Why not emulate the Gamecube version?

I tried a few years ago and the audio kept dropping out. I also heard that they changed the story in the GC version, although I don't know how true that is. Maybe I should give it another shot since I've got a new PC.

>Please sega, I'll throw money at a HD remaster for the game.
You're the reason the vidya industry is dead

How's the Dolphin emulation for this these days?

Near flawless.

Did you peep on Aika?
strawpoll.me/11324122

Nah, I hardly buy a game a year, but I'd buy 1 remaster of a game that I honestly think deserves it.

>looks better with long hair

There should have been a way to leave her hair down like that for the rest of the game.

yeah, Valkyria Chronicles coming to PC wss the biggest gaming disaster since Superman 64

>"RETREAT!"
>"miss"

>I also heard that they changed the story in the GC version, although I don't know how true that is.
Not true.

>asking for a publisher to reprint a book is the reason why the book industry is dead
You logic makes no sense. Why should we not pay for good things? All you're saying "stop liking what I don't like"
Nothing wrong with wanting to play a good RPG that's hard to get hold of now.

Emulation still isn't 100%, plus a good remaster can enhance gameplay/visuals past what an upscale can achieve. The vidya industry is certainly shit now which is why I'd rather play something that's actually good.

But I played it on gamecube though.

Are you fucking 12 ? What can't you understand about the fact that companies rehashing the same shit over and over is bad and that they should produce new stuff instead ?
What i said is true about anything : movies, music etc

You do know that companies can do both? It takes relatively little effort to make a remaster and so is a cheap way to fund their new projects.

Why does trails in the sky seem like a rip off of this game?

Why would they bother producing new stuff when they could just remake old games ?

But they do keep producing new stuff so your question is nonsensical.

I prefer the side bitches.

They give less effort producing it everyone agrees on that
Why do we get more and more remakes and less and less good games ? Surely this is somehow related

>They give less effort producing it everyone agrees on that
No, we don't.

Then i'm sorry your shit taste is terminal user
Just compare the rpgs pre-2006 and those post-2006, if you can't tell the difference you're blind

Who's the artist? Can never remember the name and they do good shit.

It's not like ports take a thousand-man team to make. They're cheap and easy, which is why HD remakes are so popular. Companies can pump out remasters and still work on new stuff.

However, most HD remakes of games that came out last gen are cancerous

People back then had 15-20 games and they would finish all of them, today people have 300+ games in their steam app and they don't even play 75% of them
Surely that's saying something about today's production quality

It means we have more games and easier access to them. Also you shouldn't just say "people" and assume that your generalization applies to all or even a majority of people. You're dangerously close to using a strawman argument.

>It means we have more games and easier access to them
That's a strange way of saying the industry has turned into a money making factory
More=/= Best

Well, at least there aren't any random encounters when you're at high or low altitude.

That's the only thing that makes it tolerable, too bad that comes relatively late in the game.

They look so happy and unaware of whats about to happen. Like the photo of that girl in the WTC hours before it happened

If by "changed the story" you mean "added backstory for Ramirez that made him an objectively better character", then yes, they did.

Farming loopers with the black map equipped is the best way to make money late game.

Probably a toss up between this and Grandia for me, I like Justin more as a protagonist because he was a reckless, ballsy kid with nothing to lose.

Can you replace the soundtrack on emulator?

Those areas and the place with the black moon shard always unnerved me enough to dislike entering them.

The main menu theme is really the best thing about Skies. Kept loading the demo of it up just to have this on the bg.

youtube.com/watch?v=Qnpw9v4SATM

Also, too bad it's just a damn JRPG. A Pirates! game in this fashion would be the shit. Or even Uncharted Waters. But no, they had to take the easy route. Beh.

god I long for games that just drop you immediately into the game without 30 minutes of exposition and easy tutorial battles

this is a game I like to play but the intro section before you get to the floating base just won't fucking end

any time you want to play again you have to sit through that again, and this is true for every jrpg