It's official: No one bought Axiom Verge on Wii U

It's official: No one bought Axiom Verge on Wii U.

"It's a bit embarassing." Tom Happ, the creator of the game, told us. "To see my game on launch week sell less than every single other Metroid game on the e shop. I suppose I have a long way to go."

Why don't Nintendo fans buy games?

>expecting an indie game to outsell Metroid
>"wow, my game was outsold by Destiny on PS4. Guess I have a long way to go."

The market demand for a game like Destiny is well-accommodated. Much more so than the market demand for a Metroidvania. If some indie group made an open-world shooter for the PS4 and it bombed, it'd be easy to understand. Some indie group makes a Metroidvania to cater to a demographic crying for more games in the genre and they outright ignore it, and you start to look for reasons why (e.g. the low install base for a Wii U, the small demographic of 'vania players, the overlap between Wii U owners/'vania fans/Metroid brand loyalists, etc etc).

PlayStation 4

WW: March 31, 2015

Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux

WW: May 14, 2015

PlayStation Vita

NA: April 19, 2016
EU: April 20, 2016

Wii U

NA: September 1, 2016
EU: September 1, 2016

You think maybe people already had it?

Porting to the Wii U was stupid in the first place, there's a reason nobody's doing it anymore.

> nintendo fans
> not expecting them to go all PURGE THE HERETIC upon seeing a Metroidvania without Samus

Did it do well on other platforms?

Axiom Verge was damn good.

This, they had nobody to blame but themselves for such a staggered release.

If they wanted it they would've gotten the game a fucking year ago.

I didn't think anyone actually had a Wii U.

It LOOKS like a generic metroid lookalike.

it needed a better splash image, that's for sure

from that image it looks like generic indie crap, even though we know its (slightly) better than that

its better

>rip off Metroid
>WOOOOW, why didn't it sell as much as the real deal?!?!?!?
Nu-male indie dev logic.

N-no it's INSPIRED by Metroid! It's a SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR! It's a HOMAGE!

AN HOMAGE, YOU FUCKING DEGENERATE

game was pretty good, but anyone who wanted to play it already did

It isn't the game it's the wii u since nobody plays it anymore.

Did they ever even release a good Mario game for it? What a fucking joke of a console

It's been out for a while now, and anyone with any other console or even a computer can play it. It's also a awesome game. It says more about the wii u audience than the game itself.

Axiom Verge was mediocre as fuck. If you boiled Rabi Ribi and Axiom Verge down to base mechanics, Rabi Ribi wins so hard it's a joke

If only Rabi Ribi wasnt painfully moe

Because it was released too late compared to other consoles.
Most people that played it probably already did on PC since it runs on toasters

I guess people really don't want Metroid games anymore. *shrug*

What's so degenerate about a homage?

Pretty much this. I was interested until I saw it was standard indie dev LOL Atari graphics and sounds LOL PIXELS meme graphics

But I bought it.

There's now a growing group of people who are getting sick of the focus of current Samus

Not because of FF, mostly because she fapbait nowadays and metroidfags are wanking to "Samus Bryant"

Some people actually do care about the series, some want the series to be big as they always imagined like SNES era fans thinking about the old supes-batman-wonder trinity for mario link and samus, not just playing smash all day and whining about muh playable ridley/muh reps

Hence why Tanabe said he want to expand Samus' universe in metroid prime and let other characters have the spotlight for once

it might be really good

and though i claim not to care about graphics

i can't stomach that kind of shit

not anymore

The problem with releasing it on the Wii U is that I doubt people even bother with their Wii U anymore.

Also applies. Anyone who wanted to play it sure as hell didn't wait for the Wii U release.

I got it on PC over a year ago.

When will devs realize most people have more than once console?

Enjoy your 20 prime sequels/spinoffs with samus being out of the camera for sylux the samus wannabe ;)

>It's a game creator models the MC after himself episode

>LOL PIXELS meme graphics

???

Proof noone want a rehash of super

Prime 3 and Fusion outsold it worldwide for a reason

This. It's a phenomenal game, everyone that was interested played it.

Too expensive

What the fuck did they expect? The people who wanted to play this did so last year. Fucking idiots. The only thing it had going for it was Art direction, (and not all the time for that matter), music, and story/lore. Gameplay was a huge letdown on all fronts, except for the endgame Trace which had the ability to teleport all the time.

The game came out last year you dolt.

>sell less than every single other Metroid game
>other Metroid game

Why is he saying it like he made an actual Metroid game
If I made a Mario-inspired platformer, I wouldn't say it sold less than "other Mario games".

That's why FF sold so well, right? Oh wait...

I don't know if he said this at all.

He should've port Axiom Verge to 3DS. Would've sold good on 3DS.

>not because of FF
You need to read

Nice source. Regardless, what's embarrassing is how ridiculous the dev and all of the journo shills have been about associating the game with Metroid. It's nothing like Metroid, looks like shit, plays like ass, the secrets are overly obscure for no reason, the map is garbage and a pain in the ass to travel, the list goes on. The only thing that actually resembled Metroid is the part everyone hated about Fusion: the nonstop fucking dialogue and cutscenes.

Meanwhile you have games like Environmental Station Alpha which are far better at being Metroid homages without explicitly trying to be and they get no spotlight whatsoever. Fuck this cunt and his trash game.

Shadow Complex can't be topped.

> first Metroidvania I played where you could say "nuts to this, I'm outta here" like a sane person would

EVERY. SINGLE. OTHER. METROID

Even FEDERATION FLOP?

Man I want Shadow Complex 2. Loved the map design and cheesy story.

>Wah, my shitty game isn't as popular as this shitty game. I know, I'll trash talk it, that'll show them!
What a silly post.

Also, Axiom is great so suck it.

he's a jew?

>Environmental Station Alpha
That's a straight up ripoff.

It didn't look any better than all the other indie pixelshit metroidvanias and it was being sold for almost as many dollarydoos as Metroid Prime Trilogy on the eShop.

Nintendo fans don't buy anything but the same Nintendo games over and over so I don't know what he expected

Not a bad idea.

>the secrets are overly obscure for no reason

Are they? This is only limited to the glitch worlds if we're talking seriously, which are optional.

> It's nothing like Metroid

Play as a character in a maze and gain more powers that allow you to traverse other areas.

>the map is garbage and a pain in the ass to travel

Is it?

>PS4 - available since March
>Vita - available since April
>PC - available since May
>Wii U - September
5 months after PC probably killed any chance of it doing good.

First off, source or GTFO.

Second off- you mean a port of a game that originally released over a year ago on platforms with audiences that were several times bigger sold like shit? SHOCKING!

Like, seriously, I'm not sure who out there would be interested in a game like AV but not already own it on one of the platforms it's already on. The majority of people who actually did buy it were probably double-dipping just because.

Even more proof that no one gives a shit about the Metroidvania meme.

Was it on sale? I almost never buy digital games full price.

>did i fit yet bros?

Kek

I already bought it on my Vita. I might have waited longer, but I barely play my Wii U anymore. The game was great though.

nintoddlers don't buy non-mario games.

well he is charging 20 bucks for a game that looks like it's an early NES game

the price is very off-putting to anyone

Wasn't it a success on PC? He doesn't have a long way to go, he should just fucking ignore Wii U.

And I have a Wii U, even. But obviously I play Axiom Verge, Shovel Knight, etc. on PC instead.

The Wii U is fucking dead and he treated it like the last-ditch effort that it was. I'm really not sure what he was expecting

He looks nothing like Trace. He looks like kind of a sperg, but actually had a wife and kid and everything and isn't a faggot like most indie devs. I wish him luck on the sequel.

SNES

i bet the retard is still charging 20 bucks for this

pretty much this, the price and that the wiiu is dead. He had it coming.
I wanted to buy it but even on sale it was too expensive

>we'll never get an other Shadow Complex
>Metroid is going to get the Megaman treatment

Fuck this. Fuck it all.

For all of you saying that Nintendo console owners dont buy shit : the viggest selling plataforms for shovel Knight are 3ds and Wii U

shadow complex is drek metroidclone for dudebro xboxtards.

strider 2014 is superior in all ways

Because most everyone that wanted it already had it on other platforms.

shovel knight is fucking garbage why

So it's Axion Verge worth pirating if i like Metroidvanias? Can you play on a controller?

I'm gonna start by saying ESA is fucking terrible and you're retarded

While I agree that the map in Axiom Verge is fucking terrible just on virtue of not having powerups listed on the map, you're just dead wrong about it looking or playing like shit.
Unlike other WOW RETRO indie games, Axiom Verge very clearly has an art direction that it's trying to push, that is to say it's trying to capture a SNES aesthetic, and it succeeds brilliantly. The creator knew what he wanted, as opposed to other games that use "pixel art" where the resolution and color is just all fucking over the place. (I'm looking directly at you Undertale)
It also plays great. The controls are tight, you have 25 fucking weapons to sift through and find one you like, glitching enemies as a mechanic is fun, and while there's a bit of backtracking it gives you an entire zone in the center of the map dedicated to taxiing you from point A to point B.
I will concede that the secrets are a fucking bother though, the game doesn't give quite enough of a sign when you're near one, so finding them can be awful if you're already at the end of the game. But again, those aren't required for 100%ing the game, they're just bonus areas for extra upgrades.

Sorry for the fuckhuge rant, I just beat the game yesterday so I have a lot of HOT OPINIONS.

We'll see if you're right. Will probably buy it next time it's on sale. Thanks for bringing it up to my attention.

wasn't it an exclusive at that point?
Nintendo fans only buy exclusives.

Axiom Verge just seems a tad too derivative for me, honestly. Its ugly as fuck, too.

Never was an exclusive . They just cared to make good ports

>No source
Get the hell off of Cred Forums you faggot

Yes and yes. Do buy it if you're not choosing between buying a game and paying bills. It's worth every cent

because he didn't make a marketing-thread on Cred Forums, his fault.

this is like when ea released mass effect 3 on the wii u and trilogy on other platforms in the same month and then complained about the wii u game not selling

I don't regret pirating it.
I played it the whole time on controller, the keyboard controls felt too jank for me

Axiom verge seemed cool and it is alright but it has a lot of flaws. I mean some of the platforming and enemies are just awful and it makes the game unfun.

No it's not.

The fuck is a wiiu? Is that like some kick starter shit?

I wouldve bought it if it got a physical release like Terraria did.

>expecting nintendrones to buy games that are not made by or endorsed by nintendo
Serves him right.

Oh man someone released their game on a platform no one gives a fuck about months and months after it's initial release and is blown away by everyone not caring.

I wish retarded devs would be forbidden from posting on the internet entirely.