How can one indie company fuck up so bad?

How can one indie company fuck up so bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=acM7PElWI_4
youtube.com/watch?v=--UYIKNWEe8
store.steampowered.com/app/402710
youtube.com/watch?v=A8P2CZg3sJQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fucking good.

It's one thing if the game had a simple graphical downgrade (Ubisoft), because that doesn't always mean "false advertisement", but Sean routinely fucking lied about NMS having multiplayer .

Meanwhile, hundreds of early access games do the same and get away scott free.

They didn't fuck up. It was a well-orchestrated scam.

Sean Murray is on a private beach in Tahiti currently doing lines of coke off of the chests of topless women

Are these threads being deleted or what? How come I can't find any with a lot of posts?

Think about it, if things go southern than what they are right now maybe some of the other conmen posing as independent developers will get scared.

JUST

I don't know that you can call them indie with the amount Sony spent on advertising

I think Sean is one of these ambitious college kids who had big ideas about how promises are made, business is done, and ambition is achieved. One of these guys who overestimate ages how much 'faking it' goes into doing real business and he slowly realized he had made a scam of himself, but not until he had gone too far to back down. He's a yes man to his benefactors because he thinks that what everyone does but he's legitimately in too deep and is likely having panic attacks daily. I feel bad for him.

>do the same

How many of these sold millions of copies based on false advertising?

Yeah, I feel bad that he bilked people for a lot of money.

when you have a nu-male jew as the liason of course things like this will happen

No Man's Sky is simply an indie game pushed too hard by Sony. Making promises it couldn't deliver. They were pushed too hard to be a AAA title but they were never that. Also jesus christ they needed a PR manager.

Good thing sony handled all the marketing. Everyone seems to forget that.

some people might say this is too little, too late, especially if nothing comes of it
but I'm glad someone's finally saying to someone to knock this shit off

They didn't fuck up, they did exactly what they wanted to do.
Most of the demographic for videogames are young adults who are still naive to false advertising and lack enough real world experience to doubt ads.

Bethesda.
>You can climb that mountain.
>Infinite quests.
>200 endings.

But all of that is true. You climbed that mountain during the very main quest, there's an infinite amount of radiant quests and there's 200 combinations of pictures shown during the end.

How about MGSV? Every bethesda game? Every nintendo game? Spore? Basically every video game for the last decade?

I liked no man's sky. I had fun playing it.

lol

Why is that funny?

Shut up Todd

>Meanwhile, hundreds of early access games do the same and get away scott free.

More like, meanwhile hundreds of AAA games do the same thing with bullshot E3 garbage and get away scott free.

>Buy game on release
>Get garbage
Every single time

I'm going to sue kojima for mgs2

Literally false advertising

How retarded do you have to be? He never claimed "You will play the entire game as Solid Snake"! Omitting information is not false advertising, straight up lying about features that are not in your game is.

Bad communication. Sean wasn't clear about the multiplayer and got bit over it. To add even more confusion, a lot of boxes have different rating stickers slapped onto them, indicating the decision to go singleplayer-only was last minute.

#1 rule of business is to not lie. Murray could have spewed some bullshit like "we wanted players to have a more unique and individual experience so we removed multiplayer because it was too jittery" or similar and solved all his problems months ago. He didn't. Now he's up shit creek.

But he ultimately did win, NMS made fucktons of money.

He's not lying. Just because it's poorly implemented doesn't mean they necessarily lied, unlike Hello Games and NMS.

>Sean wasn't clear about the multiplayer and got bit over it
He was perfectly clear. He said you can meet other players and interact with them.

He was unclear about what those interactions were, sure, but he made it very clear that there was multiplayer.

NMS is ok

youtube.com/watch?v=acM7PElWI_4

>can you see your character?
>No, you have to meet another player to see the character moder
???

You're obviously not old enough to remember the marketing for mgs2

How is it Todds fault something else was real in your head?

Dude, i'm old enough to remember the marketing for C64.

youtube.com/watch?v=--UYIKNWEe8

Every single scene in this trailer is in the game.
Everything Kojima promised WAS in the game, they never promised something that wasn't in it.

Did we forget this debacle already?

No, he literally lied. Go look up interviews. He lied about faction wars, he lied about bewing able to see other players and a lot more. It wasn't some vague bullshit, he outright said these things.

All of that is true, though the 200 endings, of course, sounds nicer than it really is.

>water reflecting the sign

0/10

Those were all in the game though. This is what happens when you take memes seriously. Neo-Cred Forums is such shit.

Not like he'll face any real penalties anyway.

Thinking about it, he was in a tough spot really. Everything he lied about was shit the hype machine asked about. He couldn't very well go

>Can I do this
no
>Can I have that
no
>Is this in the game
no
>Is it possible to do this
no

He could've had the game be the blunder of the century before it even came out, or lie and make a shit load of money before everyone realises it's the blunder of the century.

Or you know they could have implemented everything they lied about.

They clearly didn't have a fucking clue of what the fuck they were doing and some of the stuff people were clamouring for would've been a challenge for a halfway competent studio to implement in the time between E3 and release.

"game is in early stages and does not accurately reflect the final product"

All they need to add really. Also, I'd wager that mostly people don't care since they actually enjoy those games.

I don't think they could have done that if they tried.

Agreed. I don't think he lied in a Snidely Whiplash kind of way, but more of an eager kid trying to please his first boss kind of way.
"Can you clean all the dishes, cash out the till, sweep and mop, restock and lock up in half an hour, Seany?"
"... yes. Yes I can, sir."
next morning,
"Seany, you forgot to restock."
"Crap, I'm sorry. I'll do better next time."
"Oh, it's ok. You did great otherwise! Very good for first time closing by yourself."

It's pretty clear from some of his tweets, interviews and that letter that came with the game that he's insecure as FUCK about being able to pull this all off and is desperate for approval. I think he genuinely thought the game was going to be a success. He knew the product wasn't going to deliver 100% of what was expected, but everyone has been so nice to him over the last year or so. Surely they'd understand and everything will work out, right?
"But, Sean... what about multiplayer?"
"Crap, I'm sorry. I'll do better next time."
"Oh, it's ok. You did great otherwise! Very good for your first major release."

But, as we all know, it wasn't ok and he's since gone into hiding. His career, as well as Hello Games, are in jeopardy. He didn't get the approval he craved and I'm pretty sure it broke him. I don't think he's somewhere in some beachhouse sleeping on a pile of money. Yeah, he's got lots of money now, but instead he's crying on the childhood desk he first drew doodles of spaceships on, wondering where it all went wrong and why no one likes him anymore.

>inb4 ancaps say there shouldn't be an authority and scams don't exist

>arguable the most innovative game of all time next to Undertale
>it's a blunder

Can't really feel bad about him considering he's A FUCKING ADULT AND SHOULD KNOW THAT ACTIONS BREED CONSEQUENCES

How is it innovative? We have hundreds of them on pc

>most innovative game of all time
>innovative

Age of Empires 2 had proceduraly generated maps and constant collecting of resources in 1999 bruh

I don't feel bad for him. The situation is unfortunate, but he needed to man up and sell his game for what it was, not what he wanted it to be.

I think you meant ambitious, not innovative. It's not really either though, just a lot of wasted potential.

>ambitious
>undertale

He's obviously retarded any way you try to spin it.

I can't wait to reuse this one.

Saved!

More like off young boys pe i.

all of which is way different from saying that the servers are under heavy load on launch day when the multiplayer mode doesn't even exist.

Its been 40 days since Murray has posted on twitter, can we all agree that he commited suicide?

store.steampowered.com/app/402710

Look who's walking over NMS' corpse

>making the version of NMS that was advertised

absolute mad men

jokes aside, this must've been in development way before the blunder in question. But I'm sure they're hoping to get publicity when people jump all over this game as the real deal. Plus it's in early access, which is what Hello Games should have done.

>hundreds of indie games are shown at e3
Why are you defending NMS?

How did No Man's Sky take so long to come out considering what it actually delivered?

>Sean is being controlled by Sony meme
I want Redit to leaf.

>He couldn't tell the truth.

What're you, a retard?

nuMales sky's blunder was a refreshing reminder how vidya is dying

Maybe he really was ill

>Trying to humanize garbage.

no.

>that reflection

jesus

Oh man that was glorious. It helps not being a fan of MGS.

>but I've also seen people feel lost
>I've seen kids weaned on minecraft lose themselves
>and I've seen some others feel lost

is this real? was this supposed to be eloquent? what a fucking hack

In this case, downgrading does qualify for false advertisement. OPs pic is nothing like the real game. Animals don't look like that, nor do they have smart AIs that live and breath and eat and hunt, which was promised.

Lmao they thought they were immune to facing consequences for lying just because wealthy AAA are. This should be a rude wakeup call

>indie company

stop this

Honestly know one should. They said every atom procedural. He said they created there own periodic table. So many lies.

>yfw you didn't buy no man's sky

>mfw I didn't buy No Man's Sky and never will in the future

>undertale
>innovative
Here's another (you)

Who the fuck actually believed that?

What did MGSV lie about?

Every piece of footage is in the game except for the burned town since that was gonna be in Chapter 3s funtime kid island land.

In fact, the trailers pretty much showed all cutscenes.

It looked how it was advertised as well.

t. inbred

you dense motherfucker

man age of empires 2 was so fucking amazing. what a great series

Did Sony actually know anything about his blunders or did their hands-off approach really had them not know what was going on?

Or, you know, he could learn how to say
>No, you can't do X, but check out Y. You can do Y. Y is really neat.
and not have his name shit on and his company under investigation because he couldn't figure out how to not blatantly lie through his teeth.

I'm still not sure what that even means

>Everything he lied about was shit the hype machine asked about. He couldn't very well go

Yes, he fucking could have told the truth. It might have made some people angry at the outset, but it would have been much better in the long run for them to be mad than to be publicly revealed to be a liar later.

This, desu.

You all like to portray Sean as some big shot alpha con artist, currently lounging on the beach in Hawaii with aviators on and a fat cigar in his mouth, grinning as two hot babes lather him up with massage lotion and counting his millions.

We all read his desperate self assurance tweets. We all saw the "PLEASE DON'T SHIT ON MY GAME" note he put in all the press kit copies of NMS. We all watched as sweat poured down his face and heard the uncomfortable laughs during each of his major interviews, especially the ones close to launch.

This isn't some dude who set out from the onset with some dastardly plan to sell a fake game and steal everyone's money. This is a man who was trying to follow his dream, who was desperately hoping for approval, and who was absolutely terrified of failure. So terrified of it that by the time he realized he couldn't fulfill his many promises, he was too afraid to admit it. And boy, did he fail.

Sean Murray isn't laughing it up as he snorts cocaine off some hooker's tits in Vegas. He's most likely sitting at home; which he only left once today - to walk to the closest 7/11 to buy a Twinkie and a Diet Coke, staring blankly at his computer screen, trying his hardest to ignore the 50 pound rock in his stomach and forget the fact that when he finally got the chance to fulfill his lifelong dream on the biggest stage in the world, he failed on an absolutely COLOSSAL level.

And honestly, that fact makes this whole entire trainwreck so much sweeter.

Sean please go back to whatever hole the sony execs threw you in

Hopefully desu

???

How the fuck does me finding enjoyment in Sean's complete failure make me him?

>make money on one game
>can never sell another game in his life.

I guess he'll enjoy running a car wash

The sad part is people will still fall for E3 demos after this.

AAA devs are smart and they watermark or mention all their traliers as "subject to change" or "not final"

AAA devs also announce when features are being cut from the final game.

AAA devs also keep trailers up to date that are properly representative of the game you will be buying despite it being massively downgraded or not.

it's basically the same fucking game

>if somebody asks about a feature, you have to promise it even if you have no intention of delivering

what planet are you from

tanpopo is cute

What exactly did they lie about besides the multiplayer? I always thought the game looked like shit so I didn't follow it but can anybody tell me any specifics?

Welcome to neo-Cred Forums

youtube.com/watch?v=A8P2CZg3sJQ

Literally very sweaty dev lying at incredible hihg speeds. I do feel bad for the guy though

Game developers who were previously only known for a shitty mobile game and people are actually surprised their latest game was ass?

Rofl the butt hurt is palpable

>Indie company

lol good one user

She looks like she's enjoying that cheesy pizza

It's the same reflection bug that final fantasy 15 still shows in gameplay from a few days ago

WORRY

>sean murray would not like you!

fucking lol

where is this interview thing from?? this guy looks like he got so mad he had to leave the set

@353228405
xd

Old Gametrailers guys, now Easyallies.
The guy who left is a faggot anyways.