Warcraft III / Frozen Throne

So we all agree that WoW isn't canon and the lore ends after Frozen Throne?

share your favorite experiences with this game

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/igmnqkhl
wow.gamepedia.com/Pandaren_Relaxation_Area
wow.gamepedia.com/The_Largest_Panda_Ever
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Best map editor and custom games of all time.

What the fuck happened to SC2 in that regard?

kael'thas>arthas

Fuck you

Its funny you know. After finishing FT, I was waiting for aaaagess fro warcraft 4 to come out since I wanted to continue the story. Was disappointed as fuck when I found out Id have to play WoW to find out what happens next.

"Darkness called… But I was on the phone, so I missed him. I tried to *69-Darkness, but his machine picked up. I yelled "Pick up the phone, Darkness!," but he ignored me. Darkness must have been screening his calls."

What I wanna know is what the fuck happened to the aesthetic? The models may have aged like shit but they still look better than WoW somehow. The pauldrons weren't even as massive as they are now, and the armor actually looked good. Thrall used to look totally badass, now he looks like shrek buddha.

case in point

TBC pissed me the fuck off shitting ovrr Vasj/Kael'thas. Rewrote Kael'thas to be some tropey mad mage instead of a guy who was just trying to save his friends. Oh and Naga rrally want a cup of water.
I don't mind some of the book lore and general extra reading mind you.

This too. I loved the Orcs aesthetic. Thrall was ruined.
And
Pic related. Why did they decide to give him a random robe and smaller cape in WoW? Take away every part that made him look like a ruler. Where he looks like every other b elf mook?

Custom games is the only reason I played this

The Keal'Thas retcon pissed me off too, because I loved him in Frozen Throne.

They fucked the lore up really bad. I don't even mind the pandarens, but time travel? They ran out of ideas so they fucking put time travel in the game to bring back old characters and then fucking them up because they didn't fuck up all the other ones as much as they liked. Oh and Illidan isn't dead now he was just doing a superman power nap, and now he's a dindu fucking angel! Fuck this gay azeroth, they need to fire the entire writing team, then make warcraft 4 start where 3 left off, while casting wow off as a spin off.

Metzen is more of a hack than Kojima

I always see this game in 3x3s and talk about RTS. Does it have a good story or is it like AoEII? Is anything required to play before it?

I really like the story due to nostalgia. The truth is that there are some really good elements in it, like Arthas' path to becoming the lich king is basically Anakin Skywalker's transition made by someone more competent than George Lucas. It also has good sense of humor, but it contains cheesy fantasy shit in it too. It's really the first Warcraft game with any plot to it, and it's pretty self contained so you don't have to play the first two at all, in fact people usually forget about those (but they're still fun so you should check out en.war2.ru). It's really a great rts with some rpg elements blended in. The hero units are important to level up and collect items for. It's still my favorite game to go back and play through time and time again, and it never gets old for me.

I put more hours into Warcraft 2, Starcraft, and Warcraft 3 than anything else. I made some friends on B.Net that I still talk to to this day. I have so much love for those games, spending hundreds of hours in custom or ranked games.

I had high hopes for WoW when they had announced it having come out of Warcraft 3 being so hyped on the story. At the very beginning of vanilla it was really fun running around to different locations and seeing some of the Warcraft 3 units on a different scale, but something felt kinda wrong the more I played. They just couldn't tell the same kind of story in an MMORPG format, and it just simply wasn't as good. There were also tons of people playing that didn't know dick about Warcraft lore so I think Blizzard just kinda stopped caring too.

At this point it just seems unsalvagable. I see a lot of people saying they should just retcon all of WoW, but that won't even fix the problem. Starcraft 2 didn't have an MMORPG preceding it and it still got fucked. Unfortunately it's all just gone, and never coming back.

>being too pussy to stand up to Garithos

yea, nah.

at least Arthas had balls, he was completely right about Stratholme and he was willing to stand up to Uther because of it.

Mists of Pandaria was fine until the whole Garrosh old god juice nonsense because it was nothing but fresh, new lore and stuff building on the established world. No retcons, no changes. Just new material.

...Then they fuck it up within a few patches.

clyp.it/igmnqkhl

Mostly.
I think vanilla WoW did a good job with creating factions for the many races shown in WC3.
Like fleshing out the dread lords control of humans in Lordaeron. Giving names to the trolls. And shit.
The problem was this eternal Alliance vs. Horde bullshit that made no sense with its current races and factions inside.

Is it worth sticking with if you're completely and utterly hopeless at RTSes?

Because I'm about four missions into the human campaign and already getting my shit kicked in. It's StarCraft all over again.

you'll get gud
just keep assigning control groups that they never formally introduce in the game for some dumbfuck reason

>just played through ROC and TFT
>don't see any mention of pandaren or usable heroes from shops
how in the fuck did they make an expansion for that?

This. I forget exactly what buttons it is to assign control groups (shift + 0-9 I think?), but that helps a lot.

Also Warcraft 3 was still one of those games that had cheats, so if all else fails and you want to see the end of the game just play around with some of the cheats. "iseedeadpeople" reveals the map, so at minimum you can use that until you're more comfortable with preparing yourself.

>Frozen Throne had just come out
>Build a PC out of spare parts my dad had laying around his study
>Buy a brand new video card because onboard graphics would not be able to handle the game
>Playing through WCIII before starting my brand new Frozen Throne game
>Doing the mission where you have to wake up the druids
>Shit is hard
>Amass an army as big as the fucking game will let me
>Turn graphic settings all the way to the right
>Feel the rush of seeing what my new card could do.
>Game starts to lag
>Computer makes loud clanking and beeping noises before shutting off
>A thick as all fuck pillar of smoke is coming from the power supply
>Unplug computer and run to get my dad's fire extinguisher

The smoke didn't damage anything, only thing I lost was the power block and I had to wait a whole month to get a new one. Good times.

Rexxar's story was just a bonus campaign and the first appearance of pandas

What did you guys think about the movie? Just finished it. I thought it wasn't terrible, maybe a 6.5/10, the scenes felt like they were cut in half in some cases which made it very jumpy, and there was a lot of cutting back and forth between different scenes which didn't work very well either, felt choppy. Overall pretty bad editing. The movie definitely needed to be longer. The cast was also too young(like Khadgar, I mean what?) but the acting was alright, Ragnar and Ben Foster raised the overall quality. The movie could also have started a lot stronger, felt like a small montage showing the orcs' journey from Draenor and maybe a flashback in the middle of the movie fleshing that out a bit more could have worked better too. Still, the orcs looked pretty great and hte orcs in particular had pretty good characterization and the "noble savage" concept really came through. The action felt right with the heavy blows making the pinkskins fly and the armor wasn't as bad as I thought it would be in a lot of scenes, though to be fair in some scenes it did stand out.

wow.gamepedia.com/Pandaren_Relaxation_Area

wow.gamepedia.com/The_Largest_Panda_Ever

That's about all there is in vanilla Warcraft 3 that references Pandaren.

In TFT the Orc/Rexxar campaign that sets up for WoW has Chen Stormstout, which expands the lore a little bit more, but not by much.

>assign control groups (shift + 0-9 I think?)
>assign control groups
>assign control
>control
>ctrl

Too complicated, new people couldn't get into it and it took too long to make anything fun.

Anyone else spent hours just clicking on all the units to see their joke dialogues?

There's just something about Warcraft III that made it literally the perfect game.

>the scenes felt like they were cut in half in some cases which made it very jumpy, and there was a lot of cutting back and forth between different scenes which didn't work very well either, felt choppy
exactly this, especially when any humans were involved

I'd spent at least 3 hours trying to beat the final stage of TFT campaign. I thought I wouldn't be able to ever beat it.

STOP PRESSING MEEEEEE

One of the best things ever, I couldn't believe how many lines they had when i started clicking every unit

It was nice but definitely needed improvement. Some better human actors for one, as some of them showed less emotion than the cgi orcs. Although, the effects in the movie were pretty amazing. The orcs and magic and shit looked really cool. Garrona was terrible though, and the romance sucked so hard it should have been cut completely. I think they did what they could, considering they made a movie based on a game that barely had any coherent plot. Hopefully they'll get to sequels based on Thrall's or Arthas' storyline, then I feel like it could tap into all its potential.

where da bluray downloads at?

Don't know/care if bluray or not, but look for it at rainierland.com

>friend says night elfs are prefectly fair
>i say they are OP, moon wells, huntresses, mana burn are all OP.
>massive shit flinging fight ensues
>next patch
>all three are nerfed
>VINDICATION
fuck you retarded fuck. you are fucking bad at videos games and always will be a fucking shill.

the ai is pretty hard in this game imo

i came back to play campaign after years and im getting btfo

WC3 is one of my favorites games ever. Never played WoW because I hate MMOs.
I recently checked the wiki because I was curious about what was going on with the lore. That shit was so infuriating. Basically every event can be summarized into
>Hey, remember that cool character from WC3, well it turn out he got (canonically) killed by a group of random neckbeards XD

i never liked mmos either and never played wow past 1 subscription

Just time consuming IMO. Make that army bigger before going out.

I have no idea why they started with warcraft 1s storyline. Why not go straight to the Arthas/Thrall storylines? That's where the meat is, what you can conceive being adapted.

There's a quality to Warcraft where they can have american accents, but the people delivering it have a quality to them where it feels a bit cheesy, yet it fits. Sort of like Geralt's voice. At no point did I get that from Khadgar. It felt so damn off. Also the movie was too serious. I'm usually against the marvel formula of being sarcastic every other second and having too much fanservice, but god damn they needed more of it here. The polymorph thing was great but that was about it.

>this entire post

Gay

I don't ge tit

>The models may have aged like shit

I dunno- I'd say they've aged better than Morrowind's, at least.

it for sure aged better than morrowind