Why are sequels so awful at mechanics compared to older games of their series?

Why are sequels so awful at mechanics compared to older games of their series?

Some examples I can think off the top of my head
>skyrim
>deus ex
>fallout 4
>dragon age

pic unrelated

Because they try to be different and change it up.

Now post more tharja

Because brand name sells more than mechanics at this point. If you have a brand name all you have to do is focus on making your game as inoffensive and milquetoast as possible to the lowest common denominator. This is the core of modern game design.

Sup nigga

FRAAAAAAAPPPPPTTTTTTTTTFFFFF

i think thats more of a result of a series scrambling to find something that can save its shitty mechanics

i like how they added the visual effect to suggest she farted into her hand and is now releasing it as she stares at you smugly

Oblivion is to blame for much of what Skyrim sins in. In fact, despite being more casualized I'd say Skyrim is generally mechanically better than Oblivion due to the broken as all fuck Level Scaling pervading the entire game of Oblivion. You absolutely MUST mod that out for the game to even function.
Skyrim has the best Werewolves since Daggerfall too, it has some nice minor benefits.

Overall, Morrowind was probably the high point. Daggerfall is fantastic too, but I can't really complement it mechanically due to how insanely buggy it was.

A lot of sequels don't fit that pattern though.

XCOM 2
Bioshock 2
Kane & Lynch 2
Hotline Miami 2
Danmaku Unlimited 2
Full Spectrum Warrior 2
Warlock 2
Stardrive 2
Star Ruler 2
Imperialism 2
Jet Set Radio Future
Bit Trip Runner 2
ArmA 2
Bullet Heaven 2
Crusader Kings 2
Dead Rising 2
Fallout 2
Grand Theft Auto 2
Lost Planet 2
Dead Space 2
Virtua Fighter 2
Master of Orion 2
Disgaea 2
Siralim 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Street Fighter 2
The Witcher 2
Total War Shogun 2
Victoria 2
Warhammer 40K Dawn of War 2
Way of the Samurai 2

Let's keep to mainstream series tbqh fåm

Well then the discussion changes from 'why do sequels suck' to 'why do mainstream games suck,' in which case the answer is, because they are designed to appeal to as many people as possible and therefore end up bland, generic, and uninspired, since all quirks and idiosyncrasies are ironed out during the concept and prototyping stages. Senpai.

not all mainstreams tho, see touhou for example

Touhou is less mainstream than every single game I listed though.

Civilization 4 and 5 as well, not to mention the newer one

There are a lot of non-mainstream games that were good and had shitty sequels

And there are a lot that had good sequels. What's your point? user asked why sequels suck, specifically in terms of dumbed down or crappy mechanics, I simply pointed out that doesn't apply to all sequels.

Because And the fact that when they started, they had this brilliant idea of how the game should work that people just liked, but they didn't want to repeat the exact same process despite wanting to make a sequel

It's kind of like having already picked the top answer in Family Feud and you can only choose less popular options from there

Bioshock 2 was shit
Hotline Miami 2 was le sequel to le maymay le underground ~indie~ game
>GTA 2
>Dead Space 2
not worth mentioning

seriously, no one would have ever given a shit about hotline miami if not for the memecore soundtrack

But you would agree that mechanically none of them were inferior to their predecessors, right?

That's not what it suggests at all. Why are fartfags so odd?

nothing odd about everyday bodily functions

it would be more odd not to fart

Their memechanics were already shit though

>Because they try to be different and change it up.
no they dont
they try to make it simpler to sell it to a wider audience

The function itself isn't odd. Being so obsessed with it is.

Name any series of games that haven't changed over time. They make the 1% of all franchises and series that exist. Everything else changes game to game.

Except this entire series was a downgrade in mechanics from Battle Network

You're a real sack of shit user.

Nice opinion *farts*

I was addressing OP's comment that 'sequels [are] so awful at mechanics compared to older games of their series.' Even if I agree that the originals are shit, I was simply providing examples of games where the sequels' mechanics are not worse than their predecessors.