Nintendo

>Nintendo
>Sony
>Microsoft

for 3 generations now. Will another challenger ever step in?

Doubt it, they would've tried 5 years ago. Theres big money to be made with videogames but not consoles.

If Samsung or Apple didn't tried 5 years ago they won't do it now.

Remember the Ouya?
That.

I believe the next gen will be the final console generation.

Even if the Xbox was gone, Microsoft would still have a presense in the game field if only because of Windows and DirectX. When you think about it, Microsoft and Sony both dabbled in video games at around the same time, and both were among the largest megacorps of their respective countries.

Yeah I guess the future will be streaming services like Gaikai, MS will surely have its own, same for Apple.

Xbox exists beyond the console space now since it's apart of Windows. If the console space fails it would be interesting if Sony became a third party dev.

At best they'd become a publisher. There's a lot more money to be made simply being a publisher than making the consoles and collecting royalties.

Pretty sure Facebook will by PlayStation from sony one day.

Now that they're going full x86, they're nothing more than Brand DRM.

Platfgnocticism is the future. Checkmate, platftheists.

The only reason they're even in the console space is because of Nintendo, and it looks like they won't back out until Nintendo does. It's become a battle of attrition, and is likely the sole reason why they still keep making consoles.

I heard that those bootleg consoles with the realistic-looking guns are actually just a front for weapons smuggling.

I just want the next competitor to be a Jap company. Nintendo clearly can't do shit, and Sony is the only means to get Japanese games. Especially since Sony does little to actually keep the games, they could be a significant threat and either up their game or force more multiplatform titles.

Source: 4th gen of gaming. Three Jap consoles, all of which had wildly varied libraries.

Europe needs to get off its ass and represent

They tried.

Why would there need to be? Consoles all pretend to be PCs anyway. It's just hardware.

What matters are the game developers. That's all.

>The only reason they're even in the console space is because of Nintendo, and it looks like they won't back out until Nintendo does. It's become a battle of attrition, and is likely the sole reason why they still keep making consoles.
Playstation is the more profitable division of Sony

>I believe the next gen will be the final console generation.
this generation will be the last Xbox probably will become Microsoft Steam Machine PlayStation probably will become Sony drm machine and like smartphones and have yearly updates

In terms of electronics. Their insurance branch ears them a killing. They're only in it literally to spite Nintendo, that's it. If Sony pulls out, then that would mean that they lost against them after the battle they waged since the mid 90s.

that was an american company

>Their insurance branch
Forgot about this. so if the nx flops and Nintendo pulls out Sony follows?

No, because the PS4 is still printing money. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony or maybe even Sega tried to take over the handheld scene in Japan if the PC ate shit. There's just too much money to be made there.

A lot of people don't realize Commodore is American because they were so popular in Europe. And unfortunately, they were forbidden from selling the Amiga CD32 in the US due to legal problems they were going through.

Yes, and the same goes for Microsoft. After seeing the killing that the PS1 made, and hearing of Sony's plans for the future of the Playstation, they jumped in to compete against Sony.

Their fear wasn't that Sony was going to do something like dominate the console market and take away PC users, but that Sony would eventually evolve the Playstation into a fully fledged PC that would rival Windows and a device that would dominate the living room for many needs. With the XBox, they took consoles down a media detour, making everybody focus on the television. That all led to the current generations where the xbone and PS4 are more television box than game console, and only a wannabe-PC instead of anything omni-functional.