How do we fix the horror genre?

How do we fix the horror genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

bigfootencounters.com/classics/bauman.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

stop making games for a long time

delete this

i dont get it

No jump scares, cheap thrills, or any view of the actual big bad of the game.
Proper horror games, like proper horror movies, are when the fear comes from the sense of the unknown and the sense of foreboding that comes from the anticipation of things to happen yet never actually happening.

How would that monster work in a game? Like "It Follows" where you have to keep the image chain going so he doesn't come for you?

I think the essences of horror games should come from an unintentional angle.
The game shouldn't 'try' to scare you, you should be making yourself scared.

This probably

its from scp faggot

>stop mistaking cheap loud jump scares for horror
>stop mistaking gore for horror
>stop letting EA executives kike AAA horror games

By stopping making these threads.

that's an interesting way to look at it, elaborate

LOL XD!!!!!

Let Kojima make Silent Hills

Less ways to kill bad guys. No one shot kills by the enemies.

Understand that horror is not something going "BOO!" in your face really loudly every ten seconds.

Horror is all about atmosphere. Sometimes what you can't see or hear is scariest.

Im going to elaborate on this further, generally horror games set out to make you feel un-ease and tense, mostly due to the fact that something can jump up in your face and startle you. This is cheap form of scaring someone, the real way to make them feel scared is to give the player the freedom to choose whether or not to be in danger, what the human mind truly fears is the un-known, a great example would be the deep ocean, its very beautiful and vast, but also dark and mysterious. Sound and lighting are one of the biggest factors when it comes to the horror genre, of course the sounds of screaming are very frightening, but its a sound that is known well by humans and can be identified with something easily, however, a sound that seems unnatural or surreal can have a bigger impact on the human psyche.
TL:DR check out subnautica

meant to reply to

Why the fuck are so many of you afraid of fucking water? This is the dumbest shit and I see it all the time. There is nothing scary about water not even deep water. It's WATER. You are literally mostly made up of it and so is the planet. Might as well be afraid of faucets.

Problem with subnautica is that the basebuilding stuff is boring to a lot of people, and there's only a few spooky enemies. It's not a horror game, after all. I do however thing the atmosphere of subnautica is pretty good, even though the main focus of the game is weak.

Obvious bait, try harder

>let kojima make silent hills
>it becomes a zombie shooter with lol so randome horse poop items and rawket lawnchair fist's of le northern star and ebin ballooning dogs away

fuck you man water killed my wife's son

>Obvious bait,
But "fuck the ocean" has been a huge meme of neckbeards for decades. Tons of people are genuinely scared of whatever prowls the depths of the ocean.

I guess you didn't see PT.

FUUUUUUUUCKING CUUUUUUUUUUIUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

>using SPC memes on vee

truly an original poster.

RIP everyone in this thread

Just stay where you are and wait for the screaming.

hehe inside references and faggot RP, its like my own autistic little reddit!

It's like 8 obese people and reddit writing shitty fanfiction about their immortal OCs and garbage continuity.

What if the player character isn't the primary victim?
What if the supporting characters are the ones in the most danger, and the player's performance decides if they survive or suffer grisly deaths.
For this idea to work, you'd need to have likable characters that the player WANTS to save in the first place. But if done well, you solve the 'game over screen' dilemma, where all tension is relieved after the player dies a couple times.

THAT MOVIE IS SHIT YOU FUCKING FAGGOT

whoa
is it that bad?

I haven't seen it.

I always though the Bauman story would make for an interesting game.

bigfootencounters.com/classics/bauman.htm

I mean, just being in the wilderness alone, especially at night where you can't see a thing, is spooky enough. Add the instinctual fear we all have of being hunted and that's gold. Especially if there's no way to fight back. Maybe a torch or something at the most.

But imagine it's set in the mountains like your picture - where there's no food and isolation is intense. You could slip and fall off a ledge, into a glacier, you could freeze to death. Giving the player constant needs to fill would help keep the player's mind from focusing too much on being hunted, keeping the truly scary moments fresh.

>especially at night where you can't see a thing,
shut the fuck up you fucking memester

pic related is an actual night photograph. exposure and irises are things. people can see at night well enough to at least not trip over themselves and

t. someone who did basic in tents and had to do a "confidence course" where they make you crawl through a simulated sewer. there's a big difference between "in the woods at night" and "literally no light"

a snowy mountain at night would be fairly well lit and easy to see in because of unobstructed light reflected off the moon and high contrast from the white snow

>You could slip and fall off a ledge, into a glacier, you could freeze to death. Giving the player constant needs to fill would help keep the player's mind from focusing too much on being hunted, keeping the truly scary moments fresh.
wow its fucking minecraft

Not anymore, he just told you he's dead.

and they wouldn't have done that without a groundwork of a few actually decent pieces of writing that set them off on their rampage

Horror needs a monster or two running around actually doing the deed or it's just some faggy blair witch type shit. But the MC needs to be vulnerable too. Devs need to balance letting you kill the shit out of the enemies and sporadically popping in something that you can't kill, that isn't a QTE.

Thanks, I needed a laugh.