I'm only just getting around to playing this series

I'm only just getting around to playing this series.

The first one was a bit rough, and Earthbound seems to be a pretty big improvement so far, thankfully.

It seems like the quality just goes up the further you go on, is this true or is Mother 3 worse than either of the other two games?

I think it's the best of the series. A bit whimsical and supposedly less dark than originally intended, but, I think the impact of the story rung true.

Yeah, from what little I've seen of it, it seems to be much more out there than the other two.

If you're going for all three then do mother 2 first. After playing 3 I don't know if I could go back. There was a bit more direction and involvement in 3. No idea if that stuff kills it for you.

It's very different from the other two games story wise. Though its still a really good game with imo has made me feel the most array of emotions than any other game over all the whole series is great!

>is Mother 3 worse than either of the other two games?

It absolutely is worse than either of them, yes.

Pay no mind to the people who'll tell you otherwise- most of them played it back when indie gaming journalists were proclaiming it to be nothing less than Jesus Christ Himself, returned to Earth in the form of a JRPG, and the rest just have awful taste.

Earthbound/Mother 2 is a big adventure, Mother 3 is more story based, there are chapters and only one town. In 2 you have the same team through most of the game, in 3 each character has a solo chapter

Honestly I enjoy 2 more, I've replayed it 3 times and have only played 3 once. I enjoy exploration and all the different locales from 2

poison the well while you're at it.

I'm a sucker for stories.

it's structured more like Earthbound which is for the most part linear, only without the option to backtrack

It's unfair to say that Mother 3 is the weakest game considering Mother 1 exists, but it's definitely weaker than Earthbound.

mother 3 looks gorgeous compared to earthbound, the battles can be a little easier though if you can master the rhythm mini games

Personally i haven't found much use to the items like in Earthbound, and there such a big amount of build up for the adventure chapter you were waiting for which just feels rushed because its a single chapter for such an important part of the game, when you least realize you're already at the last location

its not a bad game and it can really hit you in the feels a few times (fucking dream sequence) but i wouldn't say its better than earthbound

>Listen to only my opinion

>rhythm mini games
*rhythm based battle mechanic

>is this true or is Mother 3 worse than either of the other two games?

Not at all. Mother 3 is more story-based and streamlined so I can see why some people might not like it as much. They altered the battle system so it's has an optional little rhythm game which I really dug. For me it's worth a play or two and the story fucking crushes my heart every time.

Even though the series has tons of great characters M3 has my two favorites.

chapter 7 is the least interesting and worst one, and yes i am including 3

Meant 'not at all' in response to M3 being worse than the other two. Kinda fucked up my greentext.

It all comes down to personal taste and such. Hope you enjoy the series OP.

I was one of those faggots who started with 3 (please don't do this). I finished Earthbound now a few days ago, and it was incredible, however Mother 3 is better than Earthbound in my opinion.

Maybe it's because it was the first I played, but I found the humor more funny in Mother 3, the characters were really good and the story was a little more on-par with my expectations. That doesn't mean Earthbound's story was bad, as it was excellent as well and I liked how dark things turned and how psychedelic multiple parts of Earthbound was. I just found Mother 3 to be better in several departments.

I never played the series before, except Earthbound over ten years ago (couldn't get into it then), I want to start with Mother 1, can you guys give me a quick run down of the game?

thief skills aren't as good as jeff's gimmicks, but jeff was absurdly broken

3 is the antithesis to 2 in a lot of ways, it assumes you've played it

Earthbound is best Mother
>developed by a bunch of gambling-addicted japanese bachelors
>wide variety of locations
>funkier OST
>feels like a bigger adventure through humbler means

I wouldn't start with 1, you probably won't be able to get into it due to the dated gameplay mechanics and graphics.

that stuff doesn't bother I grew up on gameing in the Nintendo era and I'm pretty good at not letting dated graphics and gameplay mechanics get to me

Tbh, it's an NES JRPG.
It's got some EarthBound feel to it, but it's kind of hard to get into compared to 2 and 3.
The story in it doesn't really matter that much, so I'd just recommend skipping it and playing through 3.

If you've ever played an NES RPG, imagine that but in a contemporary setting, a bit less tedious, and a bit more bullshit.