I've been pretty cautious about Yooka Laylee, and kept myself from watching any kind of content as to not spoil myself...

I've been pretty cautious about Yooka Laylee, and kept myself from watching any kind of content as to not spoil myself. But after watching a few of the most recent videos, doesn't it seem a little too forced? i know that's a buzzword but damn, are people REALLY that nostalgic for Banjo Kazooie? So much that the devs would actually go backwards and not include voie acting, but instead opt for mumbling?

>doesn't the spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie made by the original devs who want to make a new Banjo-Kazooie seemed forced

>boot the demo
>"Made with UNITY personal edition"

Any voice acting they could have had would have been atrocious. I still don't really understand why they're so obstinate about the main characters being completely nude, however. Especially when all the supporting characters follow Rare's old design philosophy of "googly eyes and 2-3 articles of clothing."

>Any voice acting they could have had would have been atrocious.
Why is the idea of voice acting so repelent? It's a collectathon, a bit of voice acting could've given it a little personallity if it's cheesy enough.

>a bit of voice acting could've given it a little personallity
Not him, but that's what the dialogue and character designs are for.
>this game feels forced because they're not speaking English

The people who funded this want banjo kazooie so they're getting banjo kazooie

writing seemed off in the trailer. what made old b&k charming was that it was a kid's game at heart but had ulterior humor that only older audiences would get.

>writing seemed off in the trailer
>literally the same thing
here comes the bias train

Famous devs find out they're one trick ponies. News at 11

the shovel knight line is so blatant, sounds like something from nu-rare

>Banjo-Kazooie
>DKC
>anything alike

Banjo Kazooie was a major part of my childhood so anything to kind of awaken my inner child like that is good in my books. The genre of 3D platformer collectathon is dead so it's bound to feel forced but it's appealing to that youth who grew up with these games.

Yeah, the literally-same team would never have written similar things in the past.

DKC is just Banjo Kazooie on steroids. I heard or read someone say that DKC was the natural evolution of collectathons and whoever said that was pretty much right.

>he unironically uses the "nu" meme

oh GEEZ

>DKC is just Banjo Kazooie on steroids
Donkey Kong Country, user.
You know, the one that goes sideways?

I've never liked voice acting or extensive story cutscenes in platformers. The dialog and voices in, say, Sly or Ratchet & Clank make me want to run as far away from the television as humanly possible until the brash naying and braying of underpaid cartoon voiceover artists is just a tingle in my cock.

Dialog in YL should be like the dialog in BK: short and snappy, with the option to read quickly by holding down a button. No need to go too far with it, the story isn't going to be groundbreaking.

I think you mean DK64, not DKC friendo

>the early 2D platformer on the SNES is just the later 3D N64 platformer on steroids
???

>So much that the devs would actually go backwards and not include voie acting, but instead opt for mumbling?

I liked it in Banjo-Kazooie, I'm sure I'll be okay with it in Yooka-Laylee

Yes. Whereas Shovel Knight "faked" a retro experience mixed with modern sensible game design practices (i.e. no lives system), Yooka-Laylee seems to be imitating old 3D platformers to a T - which isn't necessarily a good thing. There's a reason the genre started to die so quickly.

I'm also avoiding a lot of gameplay footage, but from the little I've seen, the worlds seem annoyingly big.

the reason it seems obvious to you is that you're not a kid, user.

>Banjo-Kazooie
>Like Jet Force Gemini, DKC, Battletoads, Goldeneye.

Haha, you fucking kids.

play the demo

only thing wrong with it is the swimming controls suck but i guess that's a rareware thing

>There's a reason the genre started to die so quickly.

And I've never understood what they were; I loved them.

>actually wanting voice acting

Yooka doesn't even need pants. Some user shooped a Hawaiian shirt on him and the design was 100% better

I was pretty disappointed in the demo desu, I hope the full release doesn't disappoint

You know how kids are. They can't imagine a video game without voice acting. There were even people complaining about that when Banjo-Kazooie was released on XBLA.

If I wanted to read I'd get a book, user.

>doesn't like reading
>posts in a primarily text-based forum

>doesn't get the reference
Kids these days.

I love everything except for the fart bubble. Inb4 that autist that screams at me for thinking I don't recognize rare humor.

I get it. I just don't like this particular case.

They're not dead, just evolved. Imagine Assassin's Creed, except
>there is no story
>the character is an anthropomorph literally named "Assassin Creed"
>your goal is to collect a token at the top of the map
>10 times in each of the 10 worlds
sounds a bit dull right? That's a standard N64-era platformer basically.

>There's a reason the genre started to die so quickly.
Because the market changed? They're still great games that are remembered with extreme fondness, where the fuck did this "3D platformers are shit" meme come from? I can only assume children who are too young to remember them.

And of course it resembles Banjo Kazooie because it's entirely intended to be a BK clone.

Assassin's Creed is not a platformer you retard.

>there is no story

Heavens to betsy, how could anyone play a game without story?

>where the fuck did this "3D platformers are shit" meme come from? I can only assume children who are too young to remember them.

I've been wondering the same thing for years. It's like people just suddenly stopped liking them all at once, like there was a meeting about it and I wasn't notified.

People keep saying this and I don't know why. I reckon it's because the controls just aren't identical to Banjo/Mario64 swimming controls and that throws them off, but they're actually much better and more precise.

How old are you buddy?
You mean it's not a "true" platformer. Just like how true Muslims support ISIS, and true Scotsmen wear only kilts.

I'm just waiting for Cred Forums to start hating the original DOOM.

Please point out where I said they were shit. Thank you.

They're close. I don't think most people here could play it without Brutal DOOM.

Mumbles are so iconic to Banj-Kazooie that they're still in Nuts & Bolts, a game that practically changed everything else and could obviously had full voice acting. Why wouldn't the spiritual successor have them?

Appleas and oranges, the differences between Doom and Doom 2 are marhinal at best
>hating on Brutal Doom
You have a legit reason for that? Other than "ITS NOT HOW ITS MEAN TO BE PLAYED" or "THE BLOOD AND GUTS ARE JUST A MEME"

It's bad enough when someone says DOOM: Lockdown Sequence Edition is better

>they're still in Nuts & Bolts
kind of
you get like two mumbles for long lines of dialogue resulting in really awkward silence during all scenes
especially bad when grunty spoke

wtf I'm scared now

3D collectathons arguably live on in the Ubisoft-style "checklist of shit to do" open world games. The worlds just got bigger and blander, cartoony settings were deemed less profitable and shooting things with a gun and/or asscreed melee combat became the default filler gameplay.

I'm 24. I guess that extra 2 years gave you so much more insight into 90s gaming, sorry bro.

Are there any cartoony/animal (sorry AC) 3D collectors on 360/ps3? Like, a single one?

They also give you a "Hold to clear all obstacles" button, making them not really platformers at all.

I don't know why people resent the "collectathon" idea so much. It was taken too far in some games like Banjo Tooie which had about 10 different types of resources for various moves, but the core concept of collecting things as a means of progression is completely sound. A jiggy or star or whatever is just a substitute for the goal flag, one that makes more sense in a 3D space. You complete your platforming or minigame challenge, and you attain completion of that "level" in the form of an item. I've even heard people refer to Mario 64 as a collectathon.

Kinda like booting up a game and seeing the damn UDK splash screen.

>I've even heard people refer to Mario 64 as a collectathon.
Because it isn't. The only "collectable" in the game are stars, and they're essential for progression, but they hold a lot more game value in Mario 64 since they require you to go through certain challenges. Banjo games require to to backtrack.

>Just like how true Muslims support ISIS
Allow me to correct the record: True Muslims *don't* support ISIS.

Woosh.

Could you please not whitesplain my culture to me? It's one of my triggers

Voice acting is terrible.
Why would you want to restrict your ability to add or change something to when you can manage to get the voice actor back in to record new lines?

I don't think 3D platformers have outright died. They just evolved into games like Mirror's Edge or the Portal series (and to a lesser degree Assassin's Creed).

I think what actually died was the habit of developers to center their platformers around wacky mascot-type characters.