Retro actually decides to develop a Metroid Game on the NX

>Retro actually decides to develop a Metroid Game on the NX
>The twist is that they are not making Prime Game, but they are instead giving Metroid the 2.5D treatment ala Donkey Kong Country Returns/Tropical Freeze, but do take some elements from the Prime games like the scanning mechanic.

How would you feel about this? Do you think they could pull it off well?

What if they make a game where you are SA-X the whole time but you don't know it until the end, and your hunting this weird bioclone of you only to realize you were the clone.

I dunno, that would probably piss a LOT of people off.
It'd be a crazy twist at least.

Eh.

They've done about all they can do with Samus but just about every other character and concept they've introduced from Super Metroid to Metroid Prime 3: Corruption has been straight up fucking bad.

What could they even do with the series? Apart from just make the same game again.

If they did, though, I'm sure it'd be boring and fine.

Best timeline, Returns and Tropical Freeze are fantastic, they have 2d figure out.

But they pretty much have been making the same game, just more streamlined.

Except the SA-X are evil and are ruthless in taking out threats to the X parasites and doing anything to propagate their species. How would they make a games about the character knowing she's an SA-X without you knowing it? She'd be doing all the things that the SA-X do.

Yeah which is killing everything thing in si- wait...
But no really X parasites revert back into their true form when taking enough damage so if you died you'd just be spoiled.

I thought this was fusion at the beginning of the game.

Probably explains why all the latest ones have been boring but fine.

>scanning

For what purpose

>the SA-X are evil and are ruthless

>just about every other character and concept they've introduced from Super Metroid to Metroid Prime 3: Corruption has been straight up fucking bad.
Like what?

>crocomire dindu noffin

Because it's a functional collectible that gives you reason to explore the world in a natural way without being jarring like Harmony of Dissonance's furniture pickups.

Scan shit get lore.

Nah, that's because Fusion and Zero Mission aren't as exploitable and as open Super, that's it's main selling point.
Some people like it since it added LORE. It'd also be a good way to bullshit out some sort of X-ray visor back like it was in Super. Plus it'd probably be easier to use in a 2d plane.

Like the Federation and every single other Hunter ever.

Who wants to play as any of those losers? They range from boring to goofy.

Oh federation force and Hunters are the two metroids I haven't played.

I was thinking of the Prime Series and Super Metroid. Those games are great, what do you think is so bad about them?

He literally stands there postulating and roaring until you attack him. Doesn't shoot his fireballs or attempt to ram you either until then.

I would actually prefer this. Prime games are okay but I don't get the hype for them, they're just not as fun to play as the 2D Metroids in my opinion, so a well made good looking 2D Metroid would be my fucking jam.

Sounds like it'd be the return of the awful blowing mechanic from the first Retro Dong Failure.

What if it were 2d and when you enter a door the room is 3d and you enter prime style game play.

I loved Hunters

Trace and Sylux were fucking awesome

Would be pretty happy, I don't like fps and love metroid.

Other M was ok (aside from the shitty story) , but I'd love to see a 2d metroid game.

>SA-X the whole time but you don't know it until the end, and your hunting this weird bioclone of you only to realize you were the clone.
So Metroid Phantom Pain?

No, Metroid Phantom Hourglass

>An X-Ray would be powered by blowing
Are you retarded?
>Retro Dong Failure
No wait, you're just baiting, ok.

They should try to make a Metroid that's both First Person and Third Person.

Sort of like Devil's Third but actually good, you hold the aim button and the game goes into first person like the Prime games.

I don't know, maybe that would be a bit jarring in practice.

How about:

Nintendo will never be as creative as the fan-base.

Retro have wanted to remake Metroid 2 since they finished Prime 1. They even started work on it and submitted a pitch to Nintendo.

Hopefully the reason Ninty stopped AM2R is because Retro are busy with the same thing. A big budget 2D remake of Metroid 2 (Without the lava gimmick) with the original and cancelled Gameboy Color version as unlockables. Nintendo could even be bros for once a throw AM2R in the package for that Good Guy PR.

>They should try to make a Metroid that's both First Person and Third Person.

user, I see what you're doing.

Stop it.

>People that know what they want vs People that don't have direct contact with the people is that have to make really statistic assumptions about people want

This pretty much applies to a large amount of IPs to the point of Nintendo having this problem being a huge "no shit sherlock".

There is literally nothing wrong with Other M

Did you play the first Returns game? They decided to have a shitty mechanic where you had to stop running around and instead crouched, waggled your waggle wand, and DK would blow to find "secrets".

That's what you want to put in 2D Metroids, except in this case it'd be Samus looking at something.

I would honestly not mind a Metroid Prime 4 with you vs Sylux. It could be SA-X shit all over again but in 3D. I have my fears if Tanabe is in control of the next game (which seems likely). I can see him adding generic star wars-tier music and having you interact with the federation and other people at all times so you're not alone. Just killing the horror vibe.

Or maybe he'll choose to turn it around. Maybe we can visit the same base at the end of FF (but in a not-shit artstyle) after the federation gets fucked.

It'd litteraly just be the X-ray scope in Super except with a real fucking purpose.

Also you're comparing a quick platformer to a relatively slow adventure game, fuck off.

Have you not played Super Metroid?

Aside from the fact that they replaced samus by a weak ass bitch

Metroid 5: V has come to

She's always been a blank slate. The gameplay was some of the best the Metroid series has seen, it was refreshing to see how streamlined the gameplay got, I hated running out of health and ammo so being able to recover it on the spot was great.

and the takedown moves are infinitely better than just blandly shooting things til they fall over.

>She's always been a blank slate
hello MovieBlob
>I hate that previous games had challenge
lel

>find a hidden path or item
>same thing as the proposed LOL YOU GOT A CONCEPT ART just like the Dong games have done

Is rather have a blank slate than a plank of wood.

Also,
>It's good because it's casual!
I'm not even that great at video games but the Metroid games are really not hard.

>running out of ammo in a Metroid outside of Prime 2 with the Dark/Light Beams (even then my sides)
>running out of HP outside of difficult bosses

2D Metroids and Prime > Other M by far. Don't get me wrong, Other M did have some stuff I did like, but its largely such a departure from everything that made Metroid great in the first place and actively retcons the entire series while shitting on them and itself. Those few good things that would have been neat context within another game do not save Other M by any means.

Oh sure, it was the story, it's not that Other M:

>Didn't have a soundtrack
>Didn't use a nunchuck
>Let you replenish your missiles whenever you wanted at no cost
>Moved around a 3D environment on a D-Pad
>Locked you in place in first person
>Gated you with no backtracking allowed until post-game
>Didn't let you 100% the game until post-game
>Didn't let you skip the cutscenes the first playthrough
>Made you play spot the pixel to continue
>Made you endure clunky walking segments where you couldn't engage with anything and just clanked along until you met the objective
>Introduced sensemove, overshot and lethal blow so you could wreck anything that wasn't a boss
>Gave you half the amount of areas that Fusion had
>Instantly showed you where a powerup was as soon as you cleared the room of enemies
>Locked power bombs behind the post-game
>Turned the game into Zelda with the introduction of heart containers-I mean energy parts
>Put every power-up off to the side in clear view, not to make you think "which upgrade can I get that you help me pick it up" but "oh i'll loop around on a return trip and collect that when the game wants to give it to me."
>Had one of Nintendo's first recorded game breaking bugs that was triggered by trying to BACKTRACK IN A METROID GAME AFTER YOU WERE JUST GIVEN A NEW POWERUP
>Had a combat system that involved spamming a direction of the d-pad for infinite i-frames and an instant charge of your beam
>Took away the final area of the game and blew it up in a cutscene
>Took away the final boss of the game and killed her in a cutscene
>Tried to blatantly justify itself by throwing in every Metroid related thing it could: Ridley, Mother Brain, Nightmare, Metroid Queen, Phantoon for some reason
>Every single fucking thing about the story, dialogue, cutscenes and characters holy fucking shit jesus christ

Just give up, man. It sucks, and if you loved Metroid for a long time even hurts to an extent, but Nintendo doesn't care. With their recent Metroid shovelware game failing they aren't going to blame themselves. They'll blame the fans and franchise and shelve it until they dan try another shovelware title 10 or so years from now.

Nintendo can eat a dick.

in all seriousness Other M is possibly the worst thing Nintendo has shat out in the past decade. But it's pretty obvious Nintendo has given up on the franchise. At this point it's best to just give up on the series and get your metroid fix elsewhere

They look like shitty bionicles. You clearly have no appreciation for aesthetics

>le Other M is the worst thing ever meme

It's an awful shitty game, but for gods sake let it go, Indiana.

Federation Force officially buried Metroid. Instead of just making Republic Commando in the Metroid universe they made that and the final boss...don't even get me fucking started.

Replace concept art with data entries and you'd just have the Prime Games, again. Why are you comparing a game that's meant to be fast paced with a game that's designed to be combed to death?

I just want a tight interconnected world with decent gameplay
Is that too much to ask?

Metroid is dead, Souls moved away from it, Castlevania is trying to be god of war.

>Metroid
>not designed for fast

I bet you don't even sub 3 hours.

Castlevania is dead too. Your only hope are indie games like Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, and Bloodstained.

I said one of the worst games NINTENDO has made. Most of Nintendo's games are all pretty good, even the ones that aren't up to par usually stand higher than the average game made by other devs.

At this point I've given up hope to see more Metroid, so we pretty much are relying on indie devs, and we all know how much of an outrageous crapshoot that is.

Environmental Station Alpha was bretty okay. Axiom verge I'd only recommend if you can get it cheap/pirate it.

>Metroid is dead because no games

Nigga the gap between Super and Prime was two years LONGER THAN this, calm yourselves for christ sake.

Did they really develop federation force as a metroid game?

When I saw it I assumed this was a similar situation like Star Fox Adventures. Where they just had a similar game and decided to put a name on it.

>getting that sub 2 hours run on Metroid Fusion as a teen because you were bored on a saturday afternoon and wanted something to fap to
Time flies. Feels like I am speedrunning my life right now.

The difference is Super sold pretty okay and was well received. The past two metroid titles were wet farts that didn't sell well and were panned in general.

It kinda isnt, it only gets faster AFTER playing it for so long.

Speedrunning is mostly a byproduct.
The game is still mostly about you getting 100%

Yes it did, Nintendo is the one that handed the IP over to them and asked them to develop a game a Metroid game.

>speedrunning my life right now

user man, please.

Sonic has received MUCH WORSE and yet the dude is still kicking.

Other M was bad because of a bad studio, and FF is mostly bad because it came out a bad time

Sonic is a tumorous mass of cancer that's handled by retards so he and his series won't die.

Nintendo never liked Metroid and as of late they're very eager to cut things that aren't helping them.

>Sonic has received MUCH WORSE and yet the dude is still kicking.
Sonic is also the only original IP Sega still cares about. Nintendo can just let Metroid die and focus on Mario or Zelda

>They look like shitty bionicles

That's it. That's precisely what I thought was so shitty about their designs. Fuck. Thanks man.

I would be fucking great and I hope that's exactly what is happening.

Honestly I just don't buy it. I haven't been in the series for very long but I can't metroid dying.

I think it's more likely that it's just in standby until Nintendo can find someone competent enough to develop games for.

And in all honesty I can wait another 8 years if it means another Super or Prime.

If the NX TRULY doesn't have another Metroid Game on it then I'll just admit defeat, but I'm at least have just that fraction of hope that Metroid will return to its former glory on the new system.

You're pretty optimistic, I don't have much hope for Nintendo nowadays.

But the worst thing is I'm still gonna buy the NX

I mean Reggie himself admitted that if they where to announce a new Metroid game it'd would be out of the blue, so who really knows?

How about they continue the story from Fusion? Samus is literally part Metroid now, there's gotta be something they can do with that.

That was federation force though. They first showed it as blast ball and then SURPRISE it's a metroid game!

Sounds hard. Why don't we focus on the Federation more, aren't they more easily related to?

He was talking about Metroid as a whole, but whatever.

>implying the retarded Metroid story actually matters

The story is Mario/Zelda tier trash anyway.
They should just focus on the things that actually matter:

1. Atmosphere/sense of loneliness (Prime did this perfect)
2. Exploration
3. Top notch gameplay

I'm currently playing Hunters and it's pretty bad so far. Too bad there's nobody I can play the multiplayer with because thet could be a redeeming quality, I guess.

Try playing Metroid Dreadnaught for a bretty good Metroid FPS experience, it's a doom mod.

>The gameplay was some of the best the Metroid series has seen

>Mash d-pad to never get hit
>Hidden object segments

You're forgetting

4.Lore.

>A bland spin-off game buried the franchise
Could you be more of a melodramatic teenager?

Scanning would slow the game down way too much for a 2D game but I'd otherwise but ecstatic. Just include an in-game bestiary or something.

Don't be so ignorant, of course it matters.

I don't think lore is that important.

That's fine, but don't pretend it isn't important to other people.

Well, in the Prime games I can agree, lore is a big deal. Bryyo a best by the way. But in the 2D Metroids lore is basically non-existant other than maybe Zero Mission.

It´s important for a few autists just like those who discuss Zelda "lore" and other shit in threads with hundreds of pages.

The Metroid "Story" could literally be written by a fourth grader.

>This is a bog-dwelling fart blaster
>Morphology - Bog dwelling fart blasters are alpha predators who have evolved the ability to launch explosive methane at attackers as a self defense mechanism. When threatened, they explode their whole body. This is also an evolved ability because things tried to eat them.
>dies in two pew pew shots

Fuck lore.

Lore is not the same as story, user.

I'd be okay with it honestly.

I'd prefer a 3D game though

I'd be alright with it. I'm somewhat tired of Samuss and her move set though. Another protagonist would be nice for a game or two. Maybe mix things up a little aesthetically and with abilities.

Make Metroid survival horror

Space Orgy?

I feel like that would be a huge waste of their talents and that a 2D Metroid should be left to Nintendo EAD or something. Prime 4, whatever it is, needs to be just that: A Prime game.

She isn't part Metroid. Fucking Christ how can people STILL not understand this. All that DNA along with the X matter was purged at the end of the game.

so come she still has the fusion suit?

They need to kill themselves if they include fucking scanning the shittiest mechanic of prime. Yes I want to stop every 3 seconds to scan something.

The Fusion suit isn't inherently part Metroid or really has anything to do with Metroids. She has it because her Varia was consumed by the X-Parasite and that was her GFed replacement. I don't understand why you're even asking this question.

>Nintendo EAD
They haven't been putting out much greatness lately.

To be fair, we don't really need another mainline Metroid or another Metroid Prime. I'm alright with the series just ending.

Because I always assumed the fusion suit was a byproduct of the federation surgically removing parts of her suit because they're so deeply intergrated with her nervous system, and then when the DNA kicked in it caused some weird flesh shit to form over the remaining armor

Your complaint is totally invalid because scanning is optional.

Only to the Metroid fanbase which mind you is a very small minority.

your birth was optional

I can't imagine Retro fucking up Metroid, but what I'd really kill for is Prime 1.5 coming back.

>At this point it's best to just give up on the series and get your metroid fix elsewhere

its funny how other m was meant to get people to care about samus and her universe but it actually backfired and made the setting worthless

the only part about metroid thats worth caring about is the gameplay and it turns out that you dont need to put up with nintendo's bullshit to get that

you know things are fucked up when a game about a mexican wrestler than transforms into a chicken is more recognizable as metroid than nintendo's efforts

what do i care that these indie metroid clones dont have the official characters or nintendo's developers behind them? these past 10 years have shown how that's a good thing

It could work really well in metroid saga.

If you fix some design problem of Other M, it could be a great game.

Serious question?.

Would you be ok with Sakamoto doing another metroid game with the team ninja.
Would you give him a second chance.

We know than ninty is happy with him because his others games sell really well.

No, not a chance in hell unless he's relegated to like a producer or something where he doesn't really do anything. Also do his other games actually sell well? Pretty sure most of them are just throwaway garbage.

I don't care what Retro does

It's guranteed to be good

Whateever system they have up there, it's some good shit

They got NEW PEOPLE to handle tropical freeze, and they managed to pull a better game than the DKCR + Leftover Prime devs

Think about that

I loved how smooth and snappy everything was. It had some good concepts at the core, and fantastic team working on the animations. Sucks everything else had to be shit.

There's no way Nintendo will be dumb enough to greenlight another Metroid game by Sakamoto.

He made a Metroid game under the best circumstances possible and still managed to fail miserably.

>Other M but made by Retro

No. Fuck off. You might as well say "Metroid but made by Platinum" next.

>other M
>2.5D

>a better game than DKCR

It was the same game, but now waggle was optional.

It is though.

this honestly sounds great to me :)

theyre good at 2d

they good with metroid

im happy :)

what is Metroid was made by Platinum?

But you have 8 directional movement and Z axis movement as well.

Nobody is making another metroid game.

Samus is just a legacy character that nobody at nintendo really gives a damn about anymore.

Fanwise ZS Samus is the only thing anyone cares about.

She's dead jim. Just accept it and enjoy the genre she helped found.

I really like this idea. SCanning was actually well done in AM2R and gave that game a MP-like feeling.

Auto scanning for a 2D game (and having the option of not reading the logs when you replay the game or for speedrunning) it's fucking great.

Yeah. Like 2.5D games. Do you even know what that means? Or are you thinking of only the very early 2.5D games where you could only go left or right, and sometimes up or down into different lanes?

anons if you were to put samus in a turn based strategy game, how would you do her? i'm talking about an xcom style game, i'm just curious

Samu's special ability is that it's never her turn

2.5D usually strikes me like Bionic Commando rearmed. It's a 2D game but uses 3D art assets.

I really wouldn't call Other M that

That would be great and another reason for me to buy the NX. By the way,

asstroid: primed fucken when?

Only if they take the AM2R scanning mechanic.

I hope Nintendo kills off the Prime retardation already. I'd rather see them make a real Metroid game instead.

2.5D generally refers to games where you don't have true freedom of movement like 3D games, but you aren't restricted to merely moving left or right like 2D games. Like, think of a beat'em up game like Golden Axe. It's mostly a 2D game since you're generally going from left to right, but you can also walk up and down in your lane. That's 2.5D.

I wouldn't classify Other M as that then, because you have a full 360 (ish, given the d-pad) range of movement, and you frequently go up and down on the Z axis.

By that logic Metroid Prime is 2.5D

No. The term 2.5D was first used in magazines to describe games made in 3D engines that still take place on a 2D plane.

>not liking Bionicle

I always kind of liked Kanden's design.

I had always hoped for an ODST-style game that would eventually end in the twist that your entire group consists of the marines found in the beginning of Prime 2.

As for the other Hunters, they're fine, it's fine, the Chozo basically prove that the Metroid universe runs on space magic and most of the designs look good.

The Fusion Suit is literally, LITERALLY the Zero Suit, the suit that acts as a biological impulse link between Samus and the Chozo Suit, although thanks to X and Metroid DNA fuckery, was permanently fused to several biological components of the Chozo Suit and somewhat warped. Aside from that is the energy/data pack on the back which is used to connect to G-fed devices and download new abilities.

Although the Metroid was cleared out once Samus fused with the SA-X which held all the information of what she was like before the incident, the suit remains warped at this point in time, and still lacks the mechanical components it once had. She's either gonna have to find a new chozo suit altogether, or acquire new modifications for her Fusion Suit to build proper armour back up.

Never played XCOM, so just going for SRPG in general here.

In most SRPGs you have multiple units fighting multiple enemy units, right? Since Metroid is mostly just about Samus, I imagine that a Metroid SRPG would be literally just Samus versus the rest of the map. Maybe there are neutral units you can coax into helping you out, but you won't be able to control them. Samus would have a wide variety of moves, abilities and skills but she's always going to be overwhelmed and just having her go Rambo is asking her to get gangraped by every enemy unit on the next turn. The aim of the game is to strategically set things up to deny your enemies' turns as often as possible. Killing the weaker ones, using ice beams to slow down the speed of stronger/faster ones...

Essentially, imagine the boss of an SRPG where you need all your units working in concert to defeat. That's Samus.

Speaking of which, I'd also like an alternate story mode where you play as the space pirates and you need to throw units at Samus until you can force her to retreat.

>How would you feel about this?
Very happy.

>Do you think they could pull it off well?
Probably.

They all look like rejected Rareware designs to me.

I mean Weavel is just Fulgore with a visor.

>She isn't part Metroid. Fucking Christ how can people STILL not understand this. All that DNA along with the X matter was purged at the end of the game.
What's your source on that?

>never played xcom
you should, it's an awesome game, but i was thinking more of how do you manage her moveset, making it balanced in a 6v6 escenario... i'm pen & paper playtesting a game and i wanna do a character based on her

retro isn't making the next metroid, we're making a new game called mermaid legends.

I really dislike how Retro made the space pirates wacky joke characters. I know they were really boring before that since they were just generic evil guys, but still, turning them into clowns wasn't an improvement.

that's 3d, what do you think 2.5d means?

The fuck are you talking about? Cred Forums made them wacky joke characters.

To be fair even within the context of the other metroid games they're a little on the bumbling side.

Well, who are the other 11 units then? I think we need to know who she's with and who she's fighting against before we can tell if she's going to be balanced, right?

But like, off the top of my head...

Charge beam - takes an entire turn to charge but does heavy damage
Missiles - does medium damage
Super missiles - medium damage, splashes, costs more MP or whatever
Bombs - low damage, but you can use it twice in one turn and you can choose different targets
Screw attack - changes Samus' position slightly, does damage

I liked the way the AM2R guy did scanning and lore and I think Retro could improve upon that system. However, I really didn't like the liberties that Prime took with lore; I've never been a fan of relying on "bird magic" and "Samus is the chosen one" in the Metroid series. FWIW, that ilk has bleed into the main series as shown in ZM and Other M so its not solely a Prime issue.

Well, yeah, it was mostly Cred Forums. But still, Retro started it. All the scans about them secretly feeding metroids and trying to make a morph ball by crushing themselves and shit like that. It's not like people started making jokes out of nothing.

Speaking of this

Why did we make them all...fuzzy?

I have no idea but god damn if it isn't an endearing style

>we
Knock that shot off. You didn't do shit.
Neither did I.

well lemme give you some parameters
>isometric squad based tactical turn based game
>attacks must be bound to a part of her body
missiles/lasers are bound to her right arm, scanning capabilities to her head and stuff
>there's a cover/half cover system that you should take note off
>there's height advantage mechanic whereas for each tile you're over your objective you get a 5% accuracy
>passive abilities are a thing

Team Ninja probably wouldn't have made a good Metroid game but it is a stretch to say that it was only bad because of a bad studio.
It was bad because Sakamoto got a significant amount of control over the game which allowed him to cripple any attempt at making a decent game.

>last canonical game forces the ZS on you
Kek

Sakamoto and his team had never worked on a 3d game before and Sakamoto himself hadn't worked on a console action game since Super Metroid. Nobody on Nintendo's side of things had the qualifications to make a game like Other M.

Iwata should have known better than to greenlight the project in the first place.

I don't think they're fuzzy, I think it's poking fun at how they're basically covered in random spikes in the Prime designs.

holy shit i just read in what consist the final boss of federation force... NIGGA I'M LAFFIN

>retro game
>not shit
Pick one. As long as Retro keeps making games, they will ruin more franchises.

>Samus
>brainwashed by Master Brain
How does this shit even get greenlit?

Fuck off Kojima

i would be ecstatic for a full-blown sprite game on console as well, maybe in that format they could make the game multitudes more massive than before

anything in the realm of decency would be great though

also she's so stupid that she nevers fight outside the morphing ball and gets fucking giant for fucks sake

>How does this shit even get greenlit?

>"What should we do for Metroid's 30th anniversary?"
>"I have an idea, how about we just completely shit all over her and make her a giant ball you shoot to win, then we'll drop the ceiling on her"
>"What the fuck is a Metroid?"

w8, there are no metroids in game? fuck i was gonna hack my 3ds for them but fuck that gay ass shit

I mean other than the gameplay and story

oh wait

that's the entire game

fuck scanning shit, it was without a doubt the worst part of prime. or at least make it completely optional. they need to make a super metroid clone, throw in a few new things like grappling anywhere or something, with better graphics and completely new levels but with metroid prime music and themes

Scanning is shit.
2D would be great though. It's the only way to make complex maps, that Metroid should have, work.

My shitpost was 6 hours ago you ding dongs, I'm having actual proper metroid discussion now.

Other M was really bad. Even I can't shitpost about it otherwise for too long, especially after the bullshit Nintendo pulled with FF and AM2R

Who would win in a FIGHT?

3D PRIME SAMUS OR 2D CLASSIC SAMUS? YES IM SHOUTING.

>How would you feel about this?
Infuriated.

Fuck 2D Metroid.

I'm not even kidding.

which Prime Samus and which 2D Samus?

The winner is Other M Samus, who has infinite missiles and power bombs and can regenerate her HP.

Who gives a shit about Metroid at this point? I just want someone to make a platformer with exploration elements with good atmosphere. The problem with Metroid is that after Super, everyone became Waifu-fags over Samus and they ran the series in to the ground trying to give a story to a series where the plot was tertiary at best.

But she's not authorized to use any of that shit so she loses.

i don't really like 2d metroid that much either but i assume its one of those games that takes 20 tries to get into like stalker or deus ex

PRIME SAMUS VS SUPER METROID SAMUS TO BE PRECISE

2D Samus. 3D is too slow, clunky, and if she bumps into a wall her suit loses all its powers.

I've beaten Zero Mission, tried to beat Fusion and dropped Super.

They're not that great. Igavanias are much much more enjoyable. 2D Metroid's combat and bosses are shit.

desu I thought all that showed was a wilful disregard for their own lives in the pursuit of chozo technology.

i wasn't into metroid either, until i got bored and played it from a game designer's viewpoint and fuck do i love the level design of these fucking games

Does someone have that screenshot of the user that proved that if other M is cannon, then nothing else is?

My money's on Super Metroid Samus, she has screw attack, speed booster, and super missiles alongside normals.

To be fair a lot of the igavanias are easy to shit on with exploitable tricks like mid air attack cancelling, attacking again, and then backdashing to attack a third time in rapid succession. The shield rod+Alucard shield broke everything in SoTN, the Claimh Solias combined with the jumping/backdash strat in AoS was EZ modo too.

The valmanway/Crissagrim always wrecked faces wherever it showed up, two heaven swords and a mastered dart in Portrait of Ruin made the game trivial, and then you pie the Whip's memory repeatedly til you won.

Both series suffer from less than stellar combat, Metroid makes up for it in level design and atmosphere, and the igavanias make up for it in presentation, equipment variety, and other secret goodies.

It's not hard to re-derive.
The main thing is that Other M tries to introduce this stupid idea that the Space Pirates are a hivemind controlled by Mother Brain, and they all turn into stupid mindless animals without her. So that means the ending of Zero Mission and everything in the Prime games including Hunters can't possibly happen. Other M also completely fucks up Metroid morphology with its idiotic genetically modifying ice-resistant Metroids plot, which contradicts Metroid II where they lose that trait naturally. The beginning of Other M is a complete contradiction to the ending of Super Metroid, so that's out. Then the notion that Samus' suit is willpower-driven magical girl shit completely invalidates the premise of Fusion and also Corruption. Other M stating that Samus hasn't worked with the Federation since the events of Metroid II also triple invalidates Corruption, so that one's super not-canon. And just as a bonus, Pinball uses the events of Prime so it's also not-canon.

Anyway I've never played Federation Force, but I'm guessing that since it's a Prime game, it takes place between Metroid 1 and 2, so since it has the Federation doing stuff with Samus it's probably not canon too.

But if 2D Samus jumps 3D wins easily. Could spend a good half an hour pelting 2D with her entire arsenal while she's airborne, then go watch an episode of Game of Thrones before 2D hits the ground.

>can regenerate her HP.

C
R
Y
S
T
A
L

F
L
A
S
H

That would be perfect

>but do take some elements from the Prime games like the scanning mechanic.
but user.... that mechanic was taken from super....