youtube.com/watch?v=uoYjayrKRDs
youtube.com/watch?v=qv6UVOQ0F44&ab_channel=SethBling
youtube.com/watch?v=V1eYniJ0Rnk
youtube.com/watch?v=OGxdgNJ_lZM
newscientist.com/article/dn2732-radio-emerges-from-the-electronic-soup/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Even humps the walls

That honestly made me smile.

Question is, how will AI know what's real and what's a video game?
youtube.com/watch?v=Man1oy4Xh_0

I don't play doom really, what do you mean?

That a.I. is better than most gamers today. Filthy casuals

I'm guessing this is completely dependant on the sprite colours, it just scans the room for those blue boxes?

My fucking grandma could beat that bot.

Same as a human

How's that any different from just regular multiplayer shooter "bot A.I." ?

that ai sucks

I'm taking a wild guess here that this AI finds its way around the levels based on what on sees in real time, whereas a multiplayer shooter bot moves along preprogrammed paths put all over the map.

That guess just can't be true for all games since bots work just fine on new maps added to games post-launch. I highly doubt that a new bot a.i is designed for every new map

youtube.com/watch?v=uoYjayrKRDs

Not new bot AI, just new paths for it to follow. It's fairly straightforward, modders do it all the time in games like cs go.

I'm no expert on AI, but I know for the source engine (specifically TF2) bots have AI paths baked into the map files themselves, which are generated when the map is compiled
Of course, the auto-generated path finding is shit, but it could be manually improved.
Point is that for the source engine, the AI path finding is compiled into the map itself

That is pretty primitive, user.

An ai can play a game where the levels never change. Wow. Op!

If I remember correctly unreal tournament maps have AI pathways layed out by the creator.

Reminds me of the Mario World one
youtube.com/watch?v=qv6UVOQ0F44&ab_channel=SethBling
Pretty cool stuff.

They put the AI onto new maps

would it be cheating if you used this in a multiplayer game?

You are beyond retarded.

>Freedoom still looks like fucking shit

How many years has it been?

>implying

The level can change as much as it wants once the AI has learned enough to work out what health is, what enemies are and so on. Once it has learned enough, you can stick it into any map you want and it'll function just about as well as long as it uses textures that the AI has trained with.

Also, if somebody doesn't understand what makes this AI special, here's a simple example:

youtube.com/watch?v=V1eYniJ0Rnk

That AI looks surprisingly fair and non-bullshit.
It must be due to per-frame action rather than reading fucking game data.

>sethbling
kill kys

the ai is hitting e against every wall to make sure there aren't any hidden areas

Chinese room.

Dont even know who he is, it was suggested after a pannenkoek video.

that is so fucking cool. thanks for the link user

I didn't see anything like that. Looked more like he was turning and the wall happened to be there.

The way it works out the most efficient technique is neat.

It makes me wonder, will AI come up with completely unique responses to problems that humans would just never consider due to established ways of thinking?

I think I remember that happened with the alphago game, where it did a move that no human would ever have considered and won because of it.

Oh, right. lel

I'm impressed by the recent development of neural networks, but desu senpai it doesn't look that impressive. The deapthmatch video clearly shows that AI has no idea of surroundings and doesn't remember the positions of enemies seconds ago, prioritizing current action over situation awareness. I'm more than sure current neural networks can manage to at least remember what happened several cycles ago.

Bot AI is programmed, this is self taught.

never gets old

They can play chess better than any human too
Whats your point

what the fuck are neural networks and why have they come out of nowhere

is this like ai or something?

Yeah, definitely getting a feel for the layout of the map as opposed to specifically looking for secrets or just mindless wall humping.

There's a big, big, BIG difference.

Chess you can play mathematically. Calculate all possibilities and pick the best one.

What's interesting about how AI is developing now is that it's learning how to play something that you can't boil down to a numbers game.

Chess is all about combinatorics, of course they can play better. GO is also combinatorics, just on a much larger scale: that's why people thought that GO would stay unconquered. But as we've seen recently, neural networks is more than just processing random combinations.

Everything can be boiled down to numbers user, thats literally how computers work

youtube.com/watch?v=OGxdgNJ_lZM

This bot teaches itself how to play the game from the ground up, no programmer interaction.

yes, however in this scenario there are WAY more numbers

Well yeah it just keeps eliminating fail states until the end result is learning to shoot demons until they die

Meh

Yeah computers are always getting better, no shit user.

Of course it eliminates fail states, that's not the point. The point is that it tries something new by itself. If it works, it makes the program better, if it doesn't - it discards it. There's no reason for AI to do this at the speed humans do, but they do it anyway because the interfaces like Doom or SMB were created for humans. If the interface was created for AI and was later used on AI, it would perfect it in days, if not hours.

>tfw I literally cannot even beat beginner level AI

...it hurts

There's a hard limit though

Looks like an autist playing. Let me know when we have better NPC AI.

Well really AI is just autistic

>first fully robotic cybernetic organism is manufactured
>years later it's CWC tier compared to all the other robots and is laughed at
>tries to become more human by stealing blood and drenching it's processors in it

>FreeDoom

There's an /r9k/ joke somewhere here

This AI isn't part of the game's programming. It's playing the game only through visual feedback (looking at the monitor) and reacting to the things it sees like a real human player. It's not programmed to know where the enemies are a all times, it doesn't have waypoints to walk over, and barely any knowledge of the map.

This.

Why are such important innovations stemmed from DOOM?

It's simple but complex

Why is everyone quoting braveheart?

You're a funny guy, user.

>Be tech engineer
>finally, after many sleepless nights and tears of blood you managed to create an AI that can play vidya
>not unleashing your baby upon the GOAT DOOM

What?

Why not something like counter strike?

Doom is better you fucking fag.

It's also less popular.

sauce on music?

I was just thinking about this video.

For anyone who doesn't want to watch it Weedman is mai vidyacommentatorfu, bots are often programmed by setting up particular paths and routines for different maps instead of having general-purpose AI. It's especially impressive in OP's case where the AI isn't dependent on directly accessing game information (i.e. it doesn't just detect monsters by knowing their coordinates on the map).

Doom is the most popular shooter of all time. Kill yourself CS fag.

How can a computer recognise things in that way though?

>freedoom
vomits_internally.png

bot paths are implemented into each map, yes

Doom is harder than chess

debate me

It's just different. It needs different talents.

But would this AI be able to take down Cyber Demon? It would need to know when to hide, and when to attack instead of just shooting until it's dead without dodging/hiding from missiles.

Except it isn't

I don't know the details at all, but computers can learn to "recognize" objects in images and react accordingly. Computer vision is really fucking complex, though.

Much easier to teach it

Give it time to learn, and sure.

So it acts basically on visual feedback? Interesting... Now let it play vanilla doom without health packs every 5 meters.

>Doom is so simple even a rudimentary AI can play it
Why do people like this game again?

You're not even trying

i wonder how it would do if you drop it into something like plutonia 2 or ancient aliens

Agreed

Could it play dota?

It would die. It probably can sustain itself after a while, but I doubt that it will ever be good if the actions are done just based on the current frame. I also think it cannot differentiate between different enemies and traverse complex terrain by nature, so it will never be good on these maps, no matter how many hours it would try to teach itself. It's just a proof of concept made using very basic assets.

I wonder if it can figure out metagames way before players do in TCG/MOBA games.

Give it time

if the AI plays from sensory input, isn't this gonna be the all purpose FPS AI?

Isn't this what we were always waiting for? It's like FPS have just been solved like chess.

it's probably a lot harder to program 3d aiming. doom only calculates gameplay on a 2d field, so they must have programed the ai to play on a 3d field

It still doesn't seem to be able to strategize at all. It just shoots at everything that comes into view.

Won't this lead to aimbots that can't be detected?

You can program computers to identify shit in an image. Doing it frame by frame in a game moving at full speed, and doing it accurately, AND having it react appropriately is pretty fucking complex though.

It's why the camera keeps twitching left and right in OP's video, the AI keeps on making tiny adjustments every single frame.

>we'll soon be able to play those dead multiplayer games with bots that are actually intelligent
>you'll be able to give them commands and they'll respond with correct actions

>ice cream? I love ice cream!

Can they play Dystopia? I loved that game.

Problem with this is, for the bots to respond to what they see wouldn't you need to essentially be rendering an extra point of view for each bot? I can't see that being very practical for newer games.

>We will soon be called faggots by bots in multiplayer games
What a time to be alive.

brodyquest

Sorry, that would be too problematic

>AI (MC) plays against AI (Enemy)
>Hey dude check out this totally rad stuff!
>AI (Enemy) plays against unpredictable human
>Meh, anyone can do that

We already are, never played Quake 3?

This ai is based on neurel network genetic algorithms, which works like this:

The program has a lookup-table that it references each pixel against to choose an action. So for example, if pixel 33x65 is the color 0x0525c5(blue), it will do an action, like step to the left, or shoot the gun or something. Most pixels will not result in any action.

The way it comes up with this knowledge is by random trial and error via genetic evolution.

It fills the lookup table with random data, and plays a level for 30 seconds. The very first time it's run, it will be incredibly spastic or do nothing it all. After the trial, the table is rated by a process called a fitness function, which looks at how succesful the ai was in the game. How long is surivived, how many kills it got, how much ammo it conserved, etc.
If it is "fitter" than any of the other tables processed this far, this becomes the dominant "species" and future evolutions will evolve from this. Evolution is simply changing one random bit of data in the table and repeating this process.

After probably 1000 evolutions, the AI will be pretty good, able to do basic things like shoot at enemys and evade projectiles.

>I only play sophisticated games made for sophisticated gamers like myself

It's happened before. There was even a case where an AI that generated circuits by randomly switching connections accidently 'invented' the radio in its own circuitry.

newscientist.com/article/dn2732-radio-emerges-from-the-electronic-soup/

Aiming seems like one of the easiest things to program; aimbots have existed for years, and if visual enemy recognition exists having the character point and shoot is almost trivial.

Really, if you've got computer vision down you just need to work out strategies for real-time gameplay.

If the way the AI interacts with the game is indistinguishable from how a human player does, yes, though keep in mind anti-cheat systems work by checking your system for certain files and processes. Valve might just make a list of known shooter AI's and check if they're running while you play a game.

A serious cheater would just have a separate computer running the AI, communicating with another computer through a keyboard and mouse interface.

>how long before that Ai start posting on Cred Forums complaining about noob AI that have it way too easy and how they only make them play shitty casual games?

>AI starts posting on Cred Forums as part of a project to develop artificial verbal capabilities
>sparks a minor arms race between universities
>University of Sydney creates a shitposting AI capable of bantzing at a superhuman level
>human posters stop getting (You)s because Aussiebots are enormously more entertaining
>unwilling to close their Cred Forums tabs and leave their mom's basements, anons start AI-assisted shitposting
>this combination of human ambition and machine capability results in everyone becoming a top-tier comedy writer
>this spreads to serious analytic and dramatic endeavors, eventually greentext stories are cranked-out at such high quality Nobel-winning novelists are embarrassed
>augmented shitposting is adapted by militaries and intelligence agencies as psyops, within a week of starting manage to bantz Kim Jong Un into killing himself
>political debates overtake sports in terms of viewership; you think Trump is entertaining now, you haven't seen shit

>A serious cheater would just have a separate computer running the AI, communicating with another computer through a keyboard and mouse interface.

Seems a lot of effort

Cheaters already go to considerable pains to keep their bots ahead of the blacklists, it probably won't be widespread but someone will run an AI on their laptop and have it play through their desktop for e-peen.

I wonder if you could use that Tay AI to create a shitposting bot

Tay AI kinda already was, it's a question of passing an Aussie Turing test.

>visual, pixel-to-input AI
>rudimentary
wew