One of my coworkers has been here the past few days bitching about the game we are working on(Souls/Moba hybrid)...

One of my coworkers has been here the past few days bitching about the game we are working on(Souls/Moba hybrid). Personally I think he's a whiner and full of shit, but sadly there is one issue I have with this game. It feels too fucking asian so far in design.

>combat and movement are too fast and overly fluid, like an asian game
>character designs have a twinge of "asian" in them

What do I mean? In terms of movement and combat, it makes me think of something like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=Xorte2gXNwc

Notice how the player character moves way too fast, too fluidly, and his attacks are the same. Is there even any real weight behind them?

In terms of general design, the characters being shown so far have things about them that feel too "asian" to me. The infamous "elven assassin with poison blades" that my coworker loves to bitch about(seriously in the studio he goes on and on sometimes, I think he secretly likes the character but refuses to admit it) has some odd elements to his design, the most notable being a "pretty boy/beautiful man" fixated on beauty. Pretty sure that is a japanese anime trope and very asian. The character even has a teleport move of sorts where rose petals appear, and other poses and things with rose petals appearing as well. It's very questionable.

So yeah, I'm not liking the direction this game is taking, I'm worried it's going to stray from a true Souls feel, and turn into some weeaboo thing. Overly fluid and fast movement and combat does NOT feel like a proper Souls inspired game, and that elf assassin does NOT fit a proper dark fantasy setting.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8odgu4kjzXo
youtube.com/watch?v=17zeFODJKvI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pier_Gerlofs_Donia#Superhuman_strength_and_size
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Okay

Can you both get the fuck off of this board please?

It's really not ok, as it could make the game incoherent and ruin the whole "Souls" aspect of it. It'll just end up a run of the mill 3d action moba. Why would anyone play it them, when Smite exists?

>Souls/Moba hybrid
>Moba
Please stop work on the game at once.

Souls is made by a Japanese company and is styled after dark fantasy manga like Berserk. Kill yourself.

>Souls/Moba hybrid

stopped reading there

Nice blog. I'd subscribe if I could.

Yes, but it feels western. The way it plays and controls. This style the studio is going for feels more like Nioh or something that is too fast and too fluid. It isn't like Souls. And that character design does not fit dark fantasy, dark fantasy is supposed to be rugged, gritty, and creepy. A "beautiful man" elf killing people with rose petals flying around is not gritty, dark, or fitting of dark fantasy. It's very silly and anime.

>(Souls/Moba hybrid)
That just sounds horrible.

>Souls/Moba hybrid
Didn't even read the rest of your post.

So instead it's gonna be a run of the mill Souls clone like the hundreds before it.

k

>game set in japan
>"its too asian"
hmm
really makes you think

> it's another my coworkers/company I works for post

I mean points for making them different each time I guess

Stop posting

Souls has a very solid feel of movement and combat. Making this move too fast will end up feeling strange. I tried Nioh in the alpha, it felt very strange and had too much of an anime feeling to how the character controlled.

>Souls/Moba hybrid

"It's the dark souls of mobas"

That;s fine for Nioh, but the game we are working on is not set in Japan, but a fantasy world. A dark fantasy world at that. So this sort of thing feels very strange and not fitting. And the elf character bothers me because a "beautiful man" type character does not fit a dark fantasy setting. I've seen some of the other character designs being worked on, and they're even more worrisome, so I am getting concerned for the integrity of this project.

>Souls/moba hybrid

That sounds fucking retarded.

I thought it was superior limb based combat guy again.

>too much of an anime feeling to how the character controlled.
You realize you're a literal satire character right now, don't you? Do you only enjoy floating arms like a real western man?

Oh yeah, that's how it started,

completely forgot

There's probably about 20 people who love that meme about Tekken and find an excuse to shout it for any reason. And I'm one of them. SUPERIOR LIMB BASED COMBAT! FUCK YEAR!

Gritty and dark are in the themes underlying the aesthetic. See: Griffith. Your homo lala elf man could fit right into a dark fantasy with a competent delivery.

Additionally, most western ARPGs are far more floaty (TES) or strive for cinematic feeling over actual game feeling (every button mash Arkham clone).

You can't just break game design by region without looking like a fucking idiot, there's different styles on all sides of the fence.

>Souls has a very solid feel of movement and combat
No it fucking doesn't

Have you ever played these games before? Souls games have a feeling of realism that is different from other action games. Nioh feels too japanese anime, and that's not what I was hoping for with this project. The rest of the team seems all for it(well except for "cyberninjas are so badass" guy), but I'm not feeling it. I wanted a more real western feeling to movement and combat, not anime.

>Its a user pretends to be a game dev thread

kys

>Souls combat feels real
STOP
STOP YOURSELF. HOLY FUCK.

Yes it does, have you played them? There's a reason the series has such love for it, it's very high pedigree. So when I get told a game I am working on is going to have gameplay of that calibur, I expect it to match.

I know about Berserk, but Griffith wasn't having rose petals and stuff flying around during poses. This is just too much. It's also very cliche, does it really need to be an elf guy being the "beautiful man" with all the overly fancy dramatic stuff? It's so cliche.

Another character I am having issues with, is some "female general"(I think she's supposed to be some kind of commander) wearing an outfit that resembles a more elaborate pantsuit(doesn't sound fantasy at all), has long white hair, knee high leather boots, a cape, an overly elaborate metal eyepatch, and what seems to be some kind of baton she fights with, like a cattle prod. The design feels too anime for a setting like this, and it's giving me strange "waifu" vibes. I don't want to judge too soon, but It's a concern I will say that.

The movement and attacks have weight behind them, and there's a stamina system. Souls movement and combat has a feel to it that is much more realistic than games like devil may cry or bayonetta. How can you not know this, do you play video games?

It's like you've never stayed human and played a lightweight dex character. You know there was a ring in Dark Souls that made you do flips instead of a dodge roll? Shit there's also a ninja NPC and armor set, katanas, and plenty of other fast dex weapons and shit. Even use the Silver/Gold Tracer, where the whole move set is spinning slashes and shit?

Basically what I am trying to say is, you sound like a huge fag.

Nioh looks way too violent, I hope your studio isn't planning on making this as violent as that game is. It won't do well if it is, Moba fans aren't going to want to see their favorite characters being killed.

>A feeling of realism

Alright, what do you actually do on this design team? You seem to have only a rudimentary affiliation with videogames and your constant concern for artistic integrity makes me believe you're art team.

Characters don't die in LoL or Dota?

>cherrypicked gif of the worst game in the series

They do, but not graphic deaths. No one is decapitated, gored, gutted, disemboweled, etc.

>moba
lol

>no true souls

topkek

>tfw no games with guro elements and create a character

Acutally gorey souls game when?

It doesn't look very realistic to me though. Giant flaming sword or shield discus that comes back to its thrower.

>Souls/Moba hybrid
Sounds like cancer

Are you really making the most lowceling type of game and puting souls combat in it
How are the kids going to play or how are you going to balance the teams

You can't have that in a game with characters meant for people to attach themselves to like a Moba. Imagine the shitstorm if league had guro animations, riven fans would lose their fucking shit if her legs got hacked off by darius.

Is this Lords of the Fallen 2?

Why did it work for Mortal Kombat?

My argument is the movement and combat feels realistic, not that it's using real weapons. Also while that gif is pretty bad, if I really wanted I could make an argument that the shield was thrown so hard that the sheer speed of it created a sonic boom of sorts in the air surrounding the disc hitting the player rolling, causing the damage done to them.

>(Souls/Moba hybrid)
How the fuck haven't you all died from all the combined cancer yet?

So, now that the dust has settled, who's right Cred Forums? This guy or the guy who is obsessed with the elf?

>in a game with characters meant for people to attach themselves to like a Moba.
>characters meant for people to attach themselves
>Moba.

I hope you are joking

Because all the characters in that are generally ugly and no one cares if they get murdered. This being slaughtered would cause an uproar,

One of my older sisters has been here the past few days calling everyone a faggot. She used my account (Anonymous) while doing so and I'm greatly ashamed.

I would like to extend to every single one of you, who she called a faggot, a big sorry.

I hope I mods won't ban my Cred Forums account because of this incident.
I have since changed password.

Now we just need the character designer to post on here and clear things up.

Have you seen the communities for these games? These players attach to these characters a ton, hence the fanart and memes. These people main characters and grow really fond of them. It's why Overwatch designed the characters the way they did, to replicate that, and it worked considering the deluge of fanart the game has.

But there might be other problems with that like questioning why the shield wouldn't just blow through the wall and out of the room if it was going that fast, making shield throws 1 time things rather than a repeated action by the sentinels.

>Souls/Moba hybrid

That's because the sentinels have a special mindlink to the shields, they can control them at will, and they can slow them near instantaneously to prevent them from flying out of control.

>Muh magic solves everything

You could argue that, but that would be stupid of you because it's clearly not moving that fast.

>combat feels realistic

Yeah, you clearly haven't experimented with the different weapon types in the souls games. Axes that shoot waves of energy, shields that shoot magic disks, a cult that turns you into a fucking dragon, a great sword shooting waves of fire. Hell it sounds like you never even bothered to use curved swords or twin blades that have your character spinning about slashing everywhere.

I like the idea. The one thing I always hated about mobas was the character models and camera angle. It looks like you're playing as tiny ant sized people, which I hate. Souls camera is a lot better.

That cyclops is too anime
--A guy on Cred Forums

Look man, it's a 3d video game, all 3d games have bad hitboxes. It's just how it is, ya know? Look at 3d fighting games, you know how many times I've hit someone with an attack in one of those and my character's limb goes right through them? Watch Tekken 7 matches, that shit happens all the time. It's just the perils of 3d.

It would cause an uproar in my dick.

I know the logistical problems with it, although I don't think it should really be That bad. I've never quite seen hitboxes this bad in other games, but then I don't play 3D fighting games

>souls/moba hybrid

Stopped reading. Good luck with your shovelware.

Which is why I said Souls game.

People die horribly in Mobas anyway. Sejuani gets crushed by her own boar and Irelia accidentally sudokus, so fuck your statement.

>Souls/Moba hybrid

I know everyone and their dog has mentioned this by now, but this is THE worst idea. You're making a combination of the two games that attract the most pretentious "pretend we're gud" faggots this world has ever seen and mashing them into one.

That shit is gonna flop day one, especially if it has pay2win rune shit like League. A

Ok look, I'll repost this designs, and you tell me:

>"beautiful man" elf, serial killer fixated on beauty and death, fights using poison spines implanted into his arms via a ritual, wears a mask, has rose petals that fly about during certain poses/attacks, wears a skintight leather bodysuit and has white hair

That sounds pretty japanese anime to me, not dark fantasy.

Is this the new "video game design assignment" copypasta?

Lords of the Fallen: Arena
Coming Spring 2017

There's something deeply worrying about a guy shilling his own game by calling it weeaboo trash.

Those deaths don't show blood though or body parts being hacked off.

>(Souls/Moba hybrid)

Yeah you're probably right there. But can't one design the face and even armor in such a way where it looks more western? I mean the theme SOUNDS Japanese but I feel like the design can speak for itself visually and belay the idea that it's Japanese by its look even if the theme or idea of it is Japanese

I never once said that. I did say that some of the design decisions worry me. I wanted a souls experience, not something that feels like japanime.

>One of my coworkers has been here the past few days bitching about the game we are working on(Souls/Moba hybrid). Personally I think he's a whiner and full of shit
sounds the two of you are a match made in heaven

I'm so pissed right now. I'm a student at Yale studying game design. I'm having a huge problem with this one guy in my class. See, we got assigned to design our own games based on what we like. I chose fighters, this guy did too. Well my game basically I'm trying to replicate Tekken style gameplay, my game will be a 3d fighter with a heavy juggle based system, lots of frame data available for players in training mode, online versus, the works.

This guy though, his game... he wants to make a "realistic" fighting game but with "action combat". So far he's told the class about limb damage(it pains me to see him taking the limb based input system and abusing it for this purpose), organ damage, stage hazards, interactions with the environment, and other things. The stages are apparently very large, like an arena shooter or Twisted Metal maps, and characters can pick up items such as guns, swords, health items, and other such things.

His game basically will be like this, but with people instead of cars:

youtube.com/watch?v=8odgu4kjzXo

Now compare that to the basic kind of gameplay I want for my game:

youtube.com/watch?v=17zeFODJKvI

The stuff he wants is anathema to fighting games, fuck it's not even a fighting game at all! This shit is simply not suitable for high level tournament play. I don't understand why the rest of the class liked his idea so much more than mine, no one called him out on the fact his game isn't a fighting game, not even the damn professor. I got a fucking failing grade, this shithead gets an A, wtf guys?

Pic related, his game is gonna have some grimdark city setting like this shit here.

Nice blog post OP, where's your RSS feed? :)

The only positive is the art style is western so the character thankfully has an actual masculine face and doesn't just look like a girl's head slapped on a male body(Griffith in berserk was a terrible example of this). But with things like that you still need to be careful, look at JoJo, that anime is full of "manly man" guys who still act very effeminate.

The ONLY part about that that is questionable is the petals and that can simply be played off as his calling card. Or maybe he uses a poison derived from that type of flower. It's really not that big of a deal, dude.

>Yes, but it feels western.
If you by 'western' you mean 'clunky wank' then yeah

If your entire team posts on Cred Forums then the game probably won't turn out good.

OP here, creepy, the guy bitching about the cyberninja stuff here at the studio said he went to yale for game design, and was supposedly gonna make some 3d fighter, until someone ruined it somehow. He never went into much detail, and we never ask, he always looked like he was gonna snap anytime it came up.

A lot of it is down to the details in the body design, clothing design and face model, which combine to form the whole and make it look 'western' even if the gist of the character sounds Japanese. I wouldn't say such a character will always feel Japanese if someone designs him right

An attempt was made.

New pasta acquired, thanks

>Yes, but it feels western

lol, Souls has had ridiculously huge anime swords from the start.

Kill yourself.

The spines are supposed to be from some kind of poisonous fish, not a plant. I suggested they change the rose petals to sprays of colorful poison or something instead, it would be more coherent at least.

Huge swords are a western thing though from real life.

I like shit and curry up my ass

>Yes, but it feels western

You are such a pretentious faggot when it's clear that the game is an asian game stylized after other asian action games with a western facade. Just beacuse it has english voice actors doesn't mean it's western.

I bet you think Devil May Cry is the most western game of all time.

Fuck you're stupid.

Just go broke already, get sick and die in poverty. Save us all the trouble of having to pay for your NEET and welfare ass.

Seriously nigger?

OP the only problem I see is that if you are not careful, your team could end up making something like final fantasy or these kmmos, where the character designs just end up being titty monsters in slut clothes for dudes to jack it to. I suggest looking at Guild Wars 2 if you want some good ideas for female character designs, avoid anything japanese or korean. Don't make the mistake Black Desert did.

wushi cushi ting tong the game

You again.
Just fuck off and stop whining.

I've never even posted here, so calm the hell down.

You mean like Overwatch? Seems like the female tiddy monsters helped that quite a bit.

How do you feel about the music in your game?

No one respects that game though. If Op wants a game respected for its gameplay and setting, they'd make sure to avoid that stuff. Battleborn did, and while not as successful as Overwatch, I respect it a lot more as a game.

Well if he wanted it to be respected the first thing I'd tell him is to get rid of the Moba part.

>Huge swords are a western thing though from real life.

Ah yes, the fabled Dragon Bone Smasher.

Of course, in real life it was not used to kill dragons, but rather crush enemy infantry in such a brutal way that it would strike fear into the opposition. Still, From should be commended for its inclusion.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pier_Gerlofs_Donia#Superhuman_strength_and_size

>In 1791, Jacobus Kok wrote that above the porticus of the New City Hall of Leeuwarden, two remarkably large swords were found which were said to have belonged to Grutte Pier and Wijerd Jelckama. Donia was noted for the ability to wield this great sword so efficiently that he could behead multiple people with it in a single blow.[19]

>Today, a great sword that is said to have belonged to Pier is on display at the Fries Museum in Leeuwarden. It measures 2.13 metres (7 ft) in length and weighs about 6.6 kilograms (14.6 lb).[20] Pier was alleged to be so strong that he could bend coins using just his thumb, index and middle finger. Some sources put Pier Gerlofs height at 7 ft.[21] A huge helmet said to be Grutte Pier's is kept in the town hall of Sneek.[22]

>Moba

Found the problem.

A billion people play LoL and Dota 2, they can't be wrong

>Posting the shop.

there is no actual evidence that it was used or even owned by him

The truth of those claims notwithstanding, that's still smaller than the smallest ultra-greatsword in DS

It's just not the same without the copypasta image of the hitboxes, but I guess less people will fall for it if you post that instead.

Griffith does actually have fucking mystical flowers and shit fly around him.

Nigga Souls is just japanese dark fantasy (IE western dark fantasy filtered through japanese exposure to Berserk) with a little more windup to animations and slightly less animation canceling than devil may cry.

Also actually talk in animation terms instead of throwing around generic terms like "anime." Nigga for someone so insistent you should know who Mitsuo Iso and Okiura are.