System Shock 2

So, after going through all the Bioshock games, I'm interested in trying out System Shock 2, which a lot of people say is far superior.

Since the game is old as shit, are there any essential mods that make it run better on modern systems and/or visual mods that make it look better?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qFLAV5OMJNY
youtube.com/watch?v=1FR9DOP0Gq4
youtube.com/watch?v=qqUL1HWIy-4
youtube.com/watch?v=Iopv2Jpjz7k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why aren't you starting with the original System Shock?

From what I've seen in gameplay videos it looks way too complex and convoluted for my taste, whereas System Shock 2 looks more like a modern FPS

No visual mods.

>Since the game is old as shit
>it looks way too complex and convoluted for my taste

The game IS old as shit though.
Even Deus Ex, which came out one year later, needs mods to run properly on a modern systems with widescreen monitors

>leddit
Fuck off

it's certainly older than you are

i have deus ex and system shock 2, both runs on widescreen and win 10 with no mods

System Shock 2 is widescreen and it looks fine, not even that old

>modding Deus ex for your first time
you monster

SS2 is one of those "golden age" wrpgs that's not actually good but people pretend it is for some sort of gamer cred. It's game play is just absolute shit.

No mods needed, you might need to change a couple keys though, I think some of the default ones are kind of bad.
Also you are a faggot, System Shock 1 is great.
SS2>BS2(+Minerva's Den)>SS1>BS1>>>>>Infinite

I disagree

>after going through all the Bioshock games
Stop now. System Shock is nothing like Bioshock, and is only going to burn your casual sensibilities.

all you need is ss2tool.

if you want more graphics additions there's a really easy guide on the ss forums.

>golden age
>wrpg
it walks the line between a bunch of genres if you go in expecting some sort of action shooting game you will be dissapointed
rpg systems are half baked too

SS2 is honestly an inferior Deus Ex in a scifi horror setting. Still pretty fun for a single run, but Deus Ex does everything better.

true but deus ex isn't horror

I disagree, I think they are different enough to be both worth playing.

SS is far more simple than SS2 you fucking autistic cunt.

Every day until you like it.

I think Deus Ex is the superior game but I definitively prefer SS2.

Logically SS is even more hipster than SS2, being older and less popular.

That said, both SS and SS2 are good.

>tfw Shodan gives you headpats
youtube.com/watch?v=qFLAV5OMJNY

SS2 is broken and unbalanced shit. SS1 has the only good combat in the entire series.

>SS1 has the only good combat in the entire series

I'll give you that SS1 is the only game in the entire series were enemies react to being shot.

You can play SS2 without any mods or update graphically. It's totally acceptable.

There's nothing you need to do, just play. Possibly have a map. I can't remember if the game gives you one or you have to find one.

I used Deus Exe for my first playthrough, I don't think it changes too much

What

You discover the map as you go and can make anotations in it wich is pretty useful since the maps are huge, nothin close to engineering in SS1 but the architecture is more varied I'll give it that.

The levels in SS2 are so small and straightforward compared to SS1 I didn't feel like a map was even necessary. The Recreational deck is the only exception.

Ah yes, the annotations.

Bioshock > System of a Down

Family Guy > Bioshock youtube.com/watch?v=1FR9DOP0Gq4

This. Fucking faggots with no balls to try anything more complex than tetris

Speaking of SS2, why do no games use this kind of music nowadays? This is literally the first song you hear

youtube.com/watch?v=qqUL1HWIy-4

If I started playing SS2 now, what would be the most 'appropriate' difficulty? Also, any tips to know when starting out?

Because it's dated as fuck and not at all popular.
Genres die for a reason

youtube.com/watch?v=Iopv2Jpjz7k

>dated
>implying

the music is the thing that aged the best in SS2

>way too complex and convoluted for my taste
if you cannot help but be baby plsspoonfeed me child reddit faggot, use mouselook mod and then kill yourself afterwards because you're a baby faggot

>system shock 2 looks more like a modern FPS
actually please just kill yourself if you're basing it off of that

Yes, because that perfectly explains why you felt the need to ask that question in the first place.

That's not saying all that much tho

it means that the thing to take from SS2, if anything, is the music

yet bioshock did not take the music

claim your weapon-fu

You know why it didn't take the music? You know why that type of music isn't used in games nowadays?
Because it's not fucking popular and is dated as fuck.

Why did I even need to post this?
Why couldn't you have deduced that from my last post?
Fuck off you underage cunt

Off the top of my head, hacking and maintenance are very good skills with the rest being mostly useless, and you want standard firearms to 6. Everything else is whatever you want.

I think changing the difficulty only affects your health (Endurance)
>Standar weapons is the best for a first time playthrough
>Level up hacking and maintenance.
>Learn how to use the wrench, ammo is very scarce.
>Listen to the audio logs or you will get stuck.
>Every chemical storage has a file you can take with you, that way you can know where to go if you need something (I swear to god the amount of retards who don't realize this is way too big)

It's relatively old but the gameplay feels very modern once you learn the ropes. Get the psi power that makes you go sonic fast, pick up an energy sabre and then max out energy weapons and strength for maximum fun.

Good call desu, system shock 1 is more of a dungeon crawler and barely resembles ss2, the mechanics are pretty dated and lots of the game is about cheesing enemy ai by leaning around corners.

it's not dated and it should be popular

fucking orchestral is """"dated'"""" but it's still used widely

No it doesn't.

Just amend the .ini to 1920 x 1080. That's it.

Kill yourself, my man

>SS1 is dated
when will this meme end?

Because people with no taste would say it's "dated" or "out of place" like the losers who thought MvC2's soundtrack was bad.

I played it for the first time in May with no mods and it is in my top 10 games list.

Stop implying because you have bad taste.

Difficulty also seems to affect the cost of things as well. Apparently a small handful of items in the levels don't spawn on hard and impossible as well.

I think I agree with you desu.

Played both recently - preferred SS2 but think Deus Ex is technically the superior game.

in some ways i guess but you can still cheese all the enemies with leaning or whatever
ss2 tries to be an action game and completely fails bioshock did much better in this department but dumbed down everything else

>It's game play is just absolute shit.
That's true, but it has good atmosphere, setting, lots of cool stuff there. It's kind of like Vampires, I guess, except it's nowhere as bad combat-wise as Vampires are.

Fully modded, overcharged Laser Pistol.

Grenade Launcher

psi-amp, just looked so cool.

Mod that disables weapons degrading. I don't care what your opinion is, guns don't fucking break after shooting them 3 times. I'm not sure if the Steam version fixed it, but you might need some fixes to stop the keyboard from being all fucked up and not reading your bindings correctly and probably some ini edits for widescreen. High res texture packs are nice too. The engine was always a bit shit. Game is a blast but very clunky.

If he's only talking about some performance things to make it run there's nothing wrong with that, kinda like how there's literally nothing wrong with playing VtM:B with that fan mod required to unbreak it.

If he's playing Revision for his first playthrough or something then yeah he's a faggot.

I prefer Deus Ex but I acknowledge it's a matter of if you prefer isolated horror or exploring a cyberpunk world. I personally enjoyed running around cities hence my preference.

>Shitty 90s rave music
>Good
Pick one

fag

no mods needed, just play vanilla and enjoy the ride

>You know why it didn't take the music
Because it would not fit the theme of bioshock?
The music used in SS2 should only be used in cyberpunk games which Bioshock is not.

It's aged very well, and definitely should be played. If only for the logs, exploration and atmosphere. All are top notch.

Maybe cyber punk club levels.

Not real sure about anything else.

'SUP NON-ANNELIGGER

This annelid comes up and slaps your gf's ass. wyd?

Gunplay is nice, but isn't that good. It fits the game where conserving ammo and repair kits are essential to survive

goddammit floor penis, not now

OP, BioShock 1 is my favorite game of all time, and I played SS2 a few years back to see where it was coming from in terms of heritage..

It totally holds up. Play it vanilla on one of the top two difficulties, and you’ll have a blast.
SS2 even beats out BioShock in several ways in terms of gameplay. The Inventory system is GOAT, especially.
If you’ve played either Thief 1 or 2, you’ll notice the similar feel because they both run off the Dark engine. Super comfy IMO

Hacking is terrible, though. Boils down to pure chance rolls. BioShock’s pipe dream game was much better.
Also, the weapon balance is awful. I strongly recommend going standard weapons. Energy weapons and exotic are generally underpowered.
>inb4 crystal shard and rapier users call me out.

Oh, and SS1 is great too. But it is strange to control. Takes a bit to get used too.

SS2's hacking and Pipe Dream aren't nearly equal on the scale of how useful/necessary they are. You can do a SS2 run without hacking, not hacking in Bioshock just makes more problems for you. It doesn't help that Pipe Dreams is the only hacking minigame despite you having to stop and hack something every 30 second.

Bioshock 2's hacking system beats both of them.