Amateur Game Dev thread?

Amateur Game Dev thread?

I have a question: I'm a pretty competent programmer and want to develop the core combat system for my game.

Should I just code it in whatever language I'm comfortable with and then port it to some actual GM software whenever I complete it? Or do I need to start out with some studio software and get comfortable with it first?

If you actually were a """"competent programmer"""" you wouldn't have to ask this question, even less so on a fucking video games forum full of underachieving children with ADD.

Go back to the /vg/ general

This.

I looked under AGD but didn't find any threads, otherwise I would have posted there instead

How should I prove that I'm competent? My background is more of theoretical CS/Math but it takes fuck all knowledge to make a working combat system

>I'M A NODEV SO EVERYONE IS A NODEV
die in a fire

sorry, I'm an idiot

>How should I prove that I'm competent?
By going 10 minutes back in time and not making this thread.

thanks user

Either use C# or c++ for unity and in real respectively depending on your game. If it's 2d use gamemaker. Otherwise you're wasting your time

>in real
did you mean unreal?

Wait, what the fuck have you done? You haven't written a module in any language yet, and you want to know how you should build your entire game too? Wait for a proper game dev thread here, simplify and explain your shit, otherwise the boilerplate recommendations are:
>Cheap or prototyping 2D: GameMaker
>Middle: Java or Python, google it
>Proper 2D: Godot, SFML/SDL + C++14
>Simple yet inefficient 3D: Unity with C#
>Proper 3D: Unreal Engine with C++

>making games in java
Enjoy your memory hog

I've written baby modules in Java and Python years ago but most of the work I've done recently hasn't been game-related and is in C

>I'm a pretty competent programmer
>asking Cred Forums for advice
heh heh

Why is the "core combat system" so important that you'd write it in another language before anything else?

Especially when you yourself seem to understand that it's easy as piss to make according to Your whole post is so confusing and really, really not something an actually competent programmer would ever say.

Well, I'd write the first version in a language I know most of the nuances about. Its piss easy because I've written stubs for (uncompleted) games in other languages (Python and Java to be exact) several years before without any additional software besides an IDE and compiler

I'd worked on back-end systems and balls deep in assembly up until recently.

I'm asking so I know if I need to invest in/download some other software before just opening Visual Studio and getting to work

That depends entirely on what kind of game you want to make. And if you're planning on writing everything from scratch or actually use a pre-made engine or game maker.

There's no absolute solution, especially with no understanding of your situation and aspirations.

That's understandable

I know it can be done but shouldn't for big boy stuff, added it for completeness sake.
Regret adding it, it's an awkward tier between GM's cheap n cheerful usage and C++ with specific graphics library/OpenGL efficient but cumbersome development.
But literally the fuck are you doing? 2D? 3D? Simple or complex? Just say, no one will steal your game from a fucking pitch line since all the shit that makes it good is in your head.