Dragon Quest X - Localization Effort

Even for those not that into the series or this title. Fans of the series have been tortured for years regarding this title, Please follow the steps below, It only takes a minute or two. Copied from the translation campaign on Woodus.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings DQ fans!
I've been doing some research with Square Enix Support in an effort to get Dragon Quest X localized. I've had some pretty good success so far. Square Enix communicated to me that if they see enough support tickets requesting Dragon Quest X, they will consider the localization.

They have been very helpful and even offered to put me in contact with their developers, so this campaign has some realistic weight to it.

What I will need you to do is go to the Square Enix support page for any Dragon Quest game (for example, here's the one for Dragon Quest IX https:**t.co*7wtaGp04gN ) ( replace * with / ) and create a support ticket.

Here are the steps: 1. For Contact category choose Products & Services and for Contact Sub-Category choose Product Specifications.

2. Enter a subject line under contact details, and keep it to under 40 characters. For example: "DQX".

3. Hit Next. On the next page, hit Next again. Now choose Proceed to Email Support.

4. Enter in your contact information. Enter your email address twice. If you plan on creating multiple support tickets, please use a different email address per support ticket.
5. In 4000 characters or less, write a polite message to support asking for Dragon Quest X's localization. Once you submit your ticket draft you can preview it or edit it. Once you are satisfied, click Submit.

Please keep the message focused on Dragon Quest X for this campaign. If this experiment works then we can try focusing on other DQ games in the future. We can really do this! Thank you for your support.

Other urls found in this thread:

siliconera.com/2016/09/26/square-enix-might-look-localizing-dragon-quest-x-enough-fan-requests/
youtube.com/watch?v=3v8BcckOWX8&index=5&list=PLch8dgiOsFXARbk0kvT94oVqlF7VoX6Xv
youtube.com/watch?v=2gtUqiyORww
youtube.com/watch?v=UqBHLIYlniQ
youtube.com/watch?v=8AMBVIbxiik&index=22&list=PLFB08913A60F22C40
youtube.com/watch?v=ncRPu8n0UmI&list=PLFB08913A60F22C40&index=16
technobuffalo.com/2016/09/27/square-enix-might-localize-dragon-quest-x/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>thinking people on Cred Forums will read this much

They might

Why the fuck are you using a Twitter redirection link?

Sounds like bullshit but if it isnt good luck to you OP

It was in the original and it worms. Good enough for me

>Please keep the message focused on Dragon Quest X for this campaign.
I wrote that I wanted every DQ game, including DQX. Its not like SquareEnix is going to be less likely to consider DQX if someone asks for all the games. We all should be asking for every overdue game, which DQX is one of.

Does localization mean Wii U exclusive or NX?

I mean no disrespect OP, you clearly care a great deal about X, but I honestly don't give a shit about it.
Have they said anything about XI? If doing all that shit gets XI closer to a western release I'll do it.

Then ask for both. It's not really limited. Just make sure X is in there somewhere.

Xi is definitely getting a western release anyways. 9 sold really well.

That's up to them to decide. But if they go through the effort I'm sure the nx version would come as well

Sent ;)

No but I actually did do it. I hope this happens OP.

>Xi is definitely getting a western release anyways. 9 sold really well.
And DQVIII sold really well and yet SquareEnix wasn't going to release IX at all. Until Nintendo jumped in to cover all the costs.

There is no guarantee that XI is coming until they formally announce it.

A western release would most likely be digital on PC. Possibly PS4 and NX, if the PC version did well.

Actually expect digital on all available systems if it got localized.

Will they promise not to censor it?

Not much to censor

except every female wearing a skirt

Eh. They don't do much censorship in dq, I wouldn't be worried.

I would like that, but SquareEnix is notoriously cautious and I could see them just putting it on PC.

>They don't do much censorship in dq
You're right. They just flat out change half the games dialogue. No need to censor something when you're already needlessly changing it.

I'd like the nx version the most. Would be nice to launch with an mom. That'd be nifty

I've already given up on it at this point. Tell them to bring Builders to PC.

sent that more of a localization? I've played quite a few dq In Japanese and they seem pretty close. Just missing a few weird Japanese puns

Siliconera just publisher an article saying they will consider an English release alongside the new Chinese one if there is intrest

It'd barely cost them anything to release on the multiple platforms they've spent money to set up already, and putting it on the NX overseas could yield to benefits for being an early title on a new system.

They'd be dumb to not release all those digital copies for systems the game is already built on.

Welp, pack it up boys, it's gonna be censored as usual, the Treehouse man has spoken

siliconera.com/2016/09/26/square-enix-might-look-localizing-dragon-quest-x-enough-fan-requests/

Is it any good?

All you said could have also been done for the launch of the Wii U. And they were dumb for overlooking it back then. I agree with you, but I'm just pointing out, SquareEnix is that dumb.

They could further cut costs by purposing some of the less populated FFXIV servers as DQX servers. As well as releasing the games digitally.

I've heard it feels like a true successor to FFXI. If that is actually valid I'd love to play it.

Ive played the JP version up to level 30, I quit because my VPN fucked up and banned my account, needed to call into support to get it unblocked. Obvious problem there

Game is a little boring compared to others, but the whymsical-ness and comfyness of it are unparalleled.

Always made me happy to play, never really seen an mmo full of so much joy. But it is very - DQ

Is this on pc too?
I think it is right?
Anyways I will be glad to help if this is actually ture, I've been looking for a good mmo for years to fill that void and DQX is my most wanted mmo in a long time.

Lets hope that squenix sees the light.

It is very much like ffxi, Grouping and mob killing is essential. Granted its not as ballbusting, but group play and feeling like your in an actual world with places you remember. Cool stuff.

Its basically Dragon Quest IX with all the issues fixed. And done by the FFXI team (as well as the producer of Nier and director of FFXIV). Its also one of the very few MMOs that aren't a WoW clone.

i bought a wii u expecting to play it but got fucked.
i don't mind which platform it may come, anything would be good

If I live in Europe, can I still get a ticket? Sorry if this question is absolutely moronic. I just want to make sure that this is a thing I can still do.

Currently Wii,Wiiu,Pc,3DS,PS4 and mobile.

the 3ds and mobile versions are fucking unplayable trash, they stream the whole game through a fucked up server. Avoid.

SquareEnix of Europe is the same as SquareEnix of America. They're overseen by the same group.

And these tickets are just general off topic tickets being forwarded to the DQ localization team in SE of Japan.

I havent heard anybody say otherwise, try putting one in.

They change things that weren't a pun in the Japanese into a pun in the west. As well as changing large swaths of dialogue to make dialects work. And in the case of DQIV, remove party chat entirely because of lazyness.

DQ is really the worst example of translation in gaming history. And yes, that also includes all your base.

What will happen to chen if this comes over?

How the fuck do you play this game on the Wii, much less the Wii U?

In fact what is it with Japan playing MMOs are underpowered consoles, FFXI kept PS2 support for years because people were still playing it on there even after the cheapest laptop could run it better

Is there horizontal progression? Situational gear sets?

The WII U game is 1080p and has a standard controller. Its much better than the Wii version. The PC version is obviously the best one, but like 10% of people in Japan have a PC. Everyone else uses MAC, consoles or smartphones.

this game is so wonderful, such a shame it still hasnt come to the west...

just imagining myself running across the plains and forests with that OST and the god-tier atmosphere makes me smile.

would this bomb on the west?
are they perhaps afraid that this wont do as good as something like FFXIV and they dont feel like '''wasting''''' resources on this game?

>would this bomb on the west?
Even if it got 100k players, it would make money. Especially if the game was only released digitally.

With FFXIV subs sitting at under 300K worldwide and DQX at over 300K players in just Japan, I don't see how it could be considered a bomb. But SquareEnix puts ridiculous expectations on DQ.

I don't trust western players to appriciate a game less hand-holdy than FF14, but I hope DQ's dedicated fanbase could keep it afloat.

Really its hard to say, ANYTHING DQ sells like hotcakes in Japan, so its hard to have a good benchmark

You also need to factor in how many MMO players want something different from 'Generic WoW clone #758' (aka Final Fantasy XIV). I have tons of friends who are MMO freaks, but have quit every MMO besides WoW. They want a return to games like SWG, UO and RO. And DQ is the closest to that at the moment. Not surprising since its major influence was Ultima Online.

>You may actually be able to finally play as an ogre chick and flirt with other players to get free stuff

Nah, I'm playing as a qt gnome.

After that PC benchmark scene, I wouldn't play as anyone else.

>Those eye textures
I'm not even a graphicsfag but is this on the highest settings?

look at the right top corner, also, at a certain distance they dont look so bad, it also might be a video bug or something, look for some gameplay videos.

Wii limitations

Putting it on the Wii was a mistake

It looks great in action on Wiiu or PC

You want comfy nigga? This is the village theme in DQX

youtube.com/watch?v=3v8BcckOWX8&index=5&list=PLch8dgiOsFXARbk0kvT94oVqlF7VoX6Xv

Sitting in the Pub waiting for team mates is pretty relaxing.

Tavern Theme ---> youtube.com/watch?v=2gtUqiyORww

s-stop, its not fair...
why... Square.. please... for the world... please release this game already!

Its just the textures. The games power is not in the textures, but in the character movement. Like how Dragon Quest VIII looked so good on the PS2 despite shit resolution and textures.

Like the rest of the game, this sounds like a remix of DQIX.

Village? Aren't there more than one?

youtube.com/watch?v=UqBHLIYlniQ

Why don't people like good MMOs.

I normally wouldn't care but part of the reason the braindead FFXIV fanbase bothers me so much is because that game is partly responsible for killing XI

Yes, Just beginner villages have this tune.

>Why don't people like good MMOs.

They do. They're just not getting released in the west. That's the point of this thread.

This right here is why DQX is better than other MMOs. It has a soul to its story-telling and NPC interaction. While something like Old Republic or FFXIV is just 'go here, do this, report back to NPC'. And you don't feel anything. It just becomes a work routine.

because everyone wants another 6 hour linear DMC clone that they can play once and call it GOTY

Yup, This is the music for the orge race starting city. I found it almost brought a tear to my eye. Let it play out for a bit.

youtube.com/watch?v=8AMBVIbxiik&index=22&list=PLFB08913A60F22C40

Nope, there are other. Another city theme

youtube.com/watch?v=ncRPu8n0UmI&list=PLFB08913A60F22C40&index=16

I actually saw this when you posted it earlier, OP, but thank you for posting it again. I certainly submitted a ticket as well, as I would like to see this get localized. I currently play FFXI, and have for a long time at this point, so it would be nice to see how this game compares. It would also be nice to explore/discover an MMO version of the DQ games.
Could anyone elaborate on the gameplay or how the equipment/stat system works?

Anyone have a list of the recently released games that haven't been translated yet? I know DQX and DQM remake, but I'm not sure what else

Holy shit/product placement.

>Keeping it a WiiU exclusive
Blunder

I have played it quite a bit, Any specific questions?

First you pick your class ( Warrior / monk etc ) then every level past 10 grants you a few skill points that you can spend on your vocation.

So lets say you are a warrior. you might have 1 vocation for "sword and shield" and another for "two handers"

Sword and Shield
-----------------------------
3P - +5 Defense
6P - Flame Slash
10P - Attack Speed +5

Two Handed Sword
---------------------------
5P - +5 Attack
7P - Fearsome Slash
10P - +10 Attack

So you put your points however you like between vocations, and when you hit that point cost that s listed you get that effect.

Except its on Wii, PC, 3DS, smartphones, PS4 and NX. And you're an idiot.

Shilling for a game that dosent exist yet? Get fucked.

Equipment is standard, buy stuff in villages. Get parts for equipment through story quests and craft your gear. Money is balanced very well, so its basically just more and more expensive gear. Leveling takes quite a while, so its much more about progression then endgame.

Usually with each expansion they add basically another DQ game to DQX, add in new bosses and a new final boss. It is kept very traditional. I really enjoyed my time with it.

despite being met with criticism, your post does manage to get some out there to aid your cause, one being myself. Thanks for taking the initiative to make this thread.

>product placement
>implying SquareEnix even cares about DQX

SquareEnix shills FFXV on Cred Forums, that's been proven. But they don't even acknowledge DQX exists. That's the whole point of this thread. Using a back door method to try and get SquareEnix to acknowledge DQX exists.

Well, gonna send this to support, anything I should add?

>Recently, Dragon Quest VII 3DS producer Noriyoshi Fujimoto responded to a fan's inquiry about a possible English localization of DQX, apparently claiming if fan support for a DQX localization was as strong as the demand was for DQ7's localization, then the release of such a title would be reconsidered.

>I was wondering whether said reply should be seen as being ignorant of fans often communicated desire to see all DQ titles localized; Or whether it should be seen as a slight against those who have communicated such a view in the past?

>Either way, please pass on my utter disappointment in the handling of this series over the past several years to the relevant deleted items folder, where apparently all fan communication ends up.

>P.S. When can we expect a port of Dragon Quest Builders to a relevant platform like PC?

Anyone got a cut and paste paragraph on why we should have it?

Knowing that we will probably get a cut and paste answer.

Are you able to freely adjust those vocation points later on or are you stuck with them as you spend them? Also, is DQX like FFXI/FFXIV wherein you have access to all jobs/classes on one character or is it like WoW?
I see people throwing around how similar it is to FFXI, in that it's menu-based, but how is 'skill' assessed in the gameplay components? (a la, in FFXIV, it might be dodging red ground markets, i.e. reactionary. But in something like FFXI, it's more about the strategy and precautionary measures.)

Ah, that's fantastic. I really enjoyed the experience of leveling (meeting people/socialization, world-building) in FFXI, even if it did take a long time to level up and get anywhere. Sounds like there's some sort of Auction House system in play, is equipment similar to WoW where it's bind on equip (or pickup) or are you able to freely sell, even after it's been used?
Would you be able to elaborate more on the crafting system? That's something I've come to enjoy as a way to pass the time and hang out.

Sent this one.

It was never a wii u exclusive, it started out as a wii game for fucks sake.

alright, sent mine

how many people do you think has sent one ticket already?

Want I play this in UK on my PC if I have Japanese bank and shit.

Yes, you can adjust vocation, but you need to undo all your points, then reapply. not just one or two.

You are locked to a class like WoW.

You can buy generic good equipment on auction house. But you cant sell equipment gotten from huge bosses, gotta get it yourself.

Crafting is awesome, Ill paste some text from another site, explains it well and is a little long.

Crafting Tool Smithing
-Similar mini game to Weapon Smithing and Armor Smithing.
-Create the crafting tools used for all of the other crafts (hammers, pots, jars, etc)
-Small set of ingredients compared to other crafts, but less chance for large profits.
-The number of stars from the resulting tool (3 max) determines the chance that the tool user will have of a "critical" in their crafting.
*Note that crafting tools break after a set number of uses.

Weapon Smithing
-Similar mini game to Crafting Item Smithing and Armor Smithing.
-Create the metal based weapons used in combat.
-Extremely popular with people just starting the game. Can be profitable, but there is a lot of competition
-The number of stars from the resulting tool (3 max) determines the number of alchemy slots open for that weapon.

Wood Crafting
-Unique mini game that involves chipping away at wood going either against or with the grain.
-Create the wood based weapons used in combat. (Wands, staves, etc)
-Not popular. Slow turnover.
-The number of stars from the resulting tool (3 max) determines the number of alchemy slots open for that weapon.

Armor Smithing
-Similar mini game to Crafting Item Smithing and Weapon Smithing.
-Create the metal based armor.
-Not popular. Has its ebbs and flows.
-The number of stars from the resulting tool (3 max) determines the number of alchemy slots open for that armor.

( 1 / 2 )

contents in DQX is massive I lazy to type for you LOL.

you can just log in and furnished you house all day long.

There's you, OP, another guy, and me, so that's at least 4 people.

>spell to spawn metal slimes
I would use the fuck out of that.

( 2 / 2 )

Sewing
-Unique mini game though with some similarity to forging. Players can also loosen stitches and the ideal number is predetermined so people use tools like excel to succeed.
-Create the cloth based armor.
-Popular. Can be extremely profitable, but has fallen out of favor of late.
-The number of stars from the resulting tool (3 max) determines the number of alchemy slots open for that armor.

Jar Alchemy
-Similar mini game to Lamp Alchemy. Largely luck based roulette game.
-Add physical attributes to fill in the stars (slots) of all of the other crafts (exception being crafting item crafts). Attributes like adding attack to swords, or chance for critical hits to fans.
-Popular. Large gains large losses.

Lamp Alchemy
-Similar mini game to Jar Alchemy. Largely luck based roulette game.
-Add magical attributes to fill in the stars (slots) of all of the other crafts (exception being crafting item crafts). Attributes like adding magical mending to robes, or defense to magical attacks.
-Popular. Large gains large losses.

There is a crafting level cap at 10, that can be extended to 30 if you do a quest for that craft. But doing that level cap quest will restrict you from being able to change you craft in the future (until new crafts are added in 2.0). Highest level possible is 40 (with another 2 cap quests if I recall). You also have a crafting game rank that increases the more people use an item that you crafted.

How do I get them to localize this instead

I sent like 10 under different email. So who knows.

Rather than chastizing them, I would have gently reminded them that fans have been sending requests for DQX for 4 years. Then asked them what ways they want us to voice our opinion.

In fact, I'm gonna send that response to them right now.

Use the same method, but emphasize you want the Monster remakes localized. I would suggest just saying you want all the 3DS games and DQX localized, like I did.

It's not as good as the original anyway

have any of you seen gameplay for this?
it is beyond archaic and backwards as far as mmos goes.
there is no market for this here, not even as a free to play game.

>it is beyond archaic and backwards as far as mmos goes
So it's like the games that came out before WoW ruined the genre? Neat.

I tweeted SquareEnix and squareenixusa, you guys should do it too! Blow up their Twitter, let them know we still want it

>I need to smash 2346 buttons at once to do my 19803947234032784k dmg and feel good about myself.

kys.

go die

Yea, But it is oh so comfy.

>game has menues instead of 8 rows of hotkeys
>game utilizes actual individual roles that can band together for coop gameplay instead of being stuck in a rigid trinity system
>game allows for multiple ways to defeat enemies and bosses just like the main series DQ games, instead of one set tactic for every boss
>range and proximity to enemies actually matters for certain skills, can even use your body to block attacks for other players

You're only making me more interested user.

Yeah, It is pretty fun. Super traditional, But if you like DQ youd love it.

Kind of like a dream game honestly.

Hello. Take your pathetic mmoshit that is the death of the once-great series and stuff it up your fucking ass.

>tfw i saw it and something subtly clicked in my brain that made me think "HOLY FUCK KILL IT BEFORE IT FLEES"
I wonder how Metal monsters work in DQX.
Are they just a rare field mob?

Yes, Super rare in the field. Pretty hype when you and your friends run into them.

I think there are 4 different metal slimes? Just exp differences. The exp that makes a level 5 player go OH FUCK and a level 80 are pretty different after all

You sound mad. Might I suggest a puff puff?

Its not shit though. It is the most faithful single player to multi player conversion in gaming history.

>"once-great series"
>posts gritty "realistic" art that literally looks nothing like the game in any aspect
Is this the equivalent of pokemon genwunners who believe Red was some red-eyed black-haired edgelord?

Wow, that's actually a really neat take on the crafting system. I like that all of the crafts have a specific association and use. I can definitely see how Jar/Lamp Alchemy can have a bunch of people flocking to it given your description (perhaps more for end-game related content, though). You mention that some of the crafts have fallen out of favor or have gotten popular, is that based on the how classes are balanced at the moment? Do they add new recipes/items as they add new dungeons/bosses as well?
How much do the class restrictions limit the potential later in game? Would you say people are better off having several characters they are working on as opposed to just one?
Also, thank you for answering my questions, by the way. I really appreciate it.

No problem. Yeah, I suppose my questions beg a lot of information. Thank you for your earlier response, though.

>Take your pathetic mmoshit that is the death of the once-great series
Toriyama is one of the pioneers of what we now call moe. You are quite the idiot.

cute

Recepies get added all the time, its fun to fiddle in everything. I personally dont meddle in it too much. I like fishing though.

Class balance isent as strict as youd think. Everything is viable. Some more then others but the game is a lot more about the adventure and the chill factor. If you do a few less damage nobody will care.

Does anyone have a rundown of the DQX classes?

What's the sub fee? Would someone who just wants a comfy MMO but have never played DQ enjoy this?

Yes you would. However SE online has a credit card block, and the game has an IP block, Very hard to get started.

Language barrier is huge, especially considering all the story.

Armamentalist
Dancer
Gladiator
Item Master
Luminary
Mage
Martial Artist
Minstrel
Monster Master
Paladin
Priest
Ranger
Sage
Thief
Warrior

I hope if this game ever came over to thewest, they wouldn't force voices into it. One of the greatest strengths of DQX is how much the movement and expressions of the characters tell you all you need to know, with no voice acting. While in FFXIV, the characters are emotionless barbie dolls who happen to talk.

Is there a PS4 version? I'd be willing to bet tons of cash that DQX will only come over if there's a PS4 port. PS4/PC crossplay would make it a lot more worth the investment.

there's going to be a PS4 version as well as an NX version

They're porting it to PS4 and NX. If they were smart, they'd release it in the west on PC, PS4 and NX simultaneously.

I don't see the NX version coming over, simply because the western audience that might play MMOs wouldn't be into modern Nintendo. And I know that on PS4 there could be a big overlap, but the games are different enough that it might not matter.

>I don't see the NX version coming over, simply because the western audience that might play MMOs wouldn't be into modern Nintendo.
Why? Because of the perception of 'Nintendo is for kids'? Well, Dragon Quest is doing just fine on the DS and 3DS. And DQX should have been released on Wii U as well.

If the game is released digitally, there's no reason to skip the NX.

But there's zero history of MMOs in Nintendo consoles in the west, meanwhile there's plenty of F2P MMOs on PS4, so the audience that would actually play MMOs is there.

did people really have the same conversation when PSO was a thing?

Okay. But that still doesn't mean DQX would be unsuccessful. That's like SquareEnix choosing to not release FFXI on the PS2 because there wasn't a strong console MMO before it.

DQX is also very different from the myriad of WoW and F2P MMOs out there. It really can't be compared to anything in the market, PC or console. But that is also what may be its biggest strength. The millions of MMO fans who quit playing WoW, Old Republic, FFXIV and etc because they want something different. This game could be that MMO for them. That is, as long as SE doesn't fuck up and try to turn it into a WoW clone (which Yoshida has said he would do to the game).

Irrelevant I think. Porting isent tough when the game is done.

PSO was the first console MMO, and back then the MMO was vastly different than it is now.

I'm not saying that DQX would be unsuccessful, just that it won't come over to the NX because of vastly different audiences. And it's not like DQ is Nintendo only, seeing as Builders and Heroes is on PS4 and DQ11 is coming to PS4 as well (3DS too, but you know what I'm getting at)

It's not whether it's done or hard to port; it's if there's a possibility of a good RoI by porting it to NX, which, imo, isn't.

Muh Monster Hunter!

PSO isn't an MMO, it's a game that just happens to have online co-op.

MMOs have a persistent, non-instanced world.

>I'm not saying that DQX would be unsuccessful, just that it won't come over to the NX because of vastly different audiences.
most DQ games have been Nintendo only for a while, it makes sense to release DQX for the NX

ask how many people bought a 3DS only for DQ7 and the answer might surprise you

Ill rather have them start working on localizing XI rather than MMO shit

>most DQ games have been Nintendo only for a while, it makes sense to release DQX for the NX
Did you miss me mentioning Builders and Heroes being on PS4? And DQXI being on PS4 as well (looking closer to how DQX looks like, incidentally).

DQ isn't bound to Nintendo or Sony, but from the stand point of "which company has a player base that would mostly likely buy and play a MMO", that audience is undeniably on PS4.

most =! all

Disagreed, I think the jap crowd and dq crowd resonates much stronger on nintendo.

Most of their high selling shit is nintendo related.

But that doesn't relate to a possible western release of DQX the MMO, which is what I'm talking about.

Though I'll be very curious to see how DQXI PS4 and DQXI 3DS perform world wide.

On the NX, mind you. DQX on PS4 and PC would definitely come over, but not it's NX version.

>I'm not saying that DQX would be unsuccessful, just that it won't come over to the NX because of vastly different audiences.
And I questioned what you're basing that on.

>And it's not like DQ is Nintendo only, seeing as Builders and Heroes is on PS4 and DQ11 is coming to PS4 as well (3DS too, but you know what I'm getting at)
That's 3 games out of the last 40 or so DQ games. Until the PS4, DQ games were only on DS, 3DS, Wii and Wii U.

And DQX is an upgraded port of a Wii game. So again, what makes DQ non viable on a Nintendo system all of the sudden?

>MMOs have a persistent, non-instanced world.
Unfortunately all of them are full of instances now. DQX is no exception to this. DQX just had better coop in those instances.

And before that, the PS and PS2.

>So again, what makes DQ non viable on a Nintendo system all of the sudden?
I'm talking about the NX port of DQX possibly coming over to the west. I'm arguing that, based on audience expectations and player base, there's no real reason for SE to bring DQX NX to the west.

>With FFXIV subs sitting at under 300K worldwide and DQX at over 300K players in just Japan
[citation needed]

Depends what you consider a success for an MMO
There really isn't an active game that fills that same niche right now, since all that the west has been getting since 2004 is WoW clones and Korean grindfests.

>want localization of a game on a system that dies soon anyway

reminds me of FF11 in its hayday

And before that, NES and SNES. Only like 10% of DQ games have been on Sony platforms. I'm not a Sony hater (I own every one of those Sony DQ games and PS3 was my favorite console last gen). But this idea that Sony is the preferred platform for DQ and DQ is 'returning to its true home' is just stupid. It shows a clear ignorance for the series.

>I'm arguing that, based on audience expectations and player base, there's no real reason for SE to bring DQX NX to the west.
Again, why? You seem to be generalizing things based on your perception of the audience, then claiming its a fact. Explain your point beyond just a generalized perception you think everyone shares.

man there's a lot of samefagging going on this thread

probably the same guy who goes into MMOs threads and cries about how DQX is like "muh FFXI" and how FFXIV is the cancer that killed FFXI.

The PC is going to die soon? God I hope so.

Aren't 4-8 on Sony platforms? I'd say that's a good amount of games in just the mainline series.

>there's no real reason for SE to bring DQX NX to the west
There's no real reason for SE to bring DQX to the west, period. But if they do, wouldn't it make sense to put it out on the currently active and (hopefully) successful platform of the NX, as opposed to putting it out on the no longer supported Wii U? The Wii U won't be supported for much longer, and if they are just asking for DQX interest at this point, they certainly haven't even begun the process to localize anything.

>wouldn't it make sense to put it out on the currently active and (hopefully) successful platform of the NX
There's a PS4 version coming, plus the PC port as well.

it's from the same team actually

not counting remakes, it's only 8
if you want to count remakes, Nintendo still has more

Why would SE release a version on a console that's never had any MMO, or any big and successful online environment suddenly get a MMO? PS4 already has FF14, plus dozens of other (F2P) MMOs, and a myriad of healthy online focused games?

SquareEnix officially announced last may that FFXI, FFXIV and DQX all combined equals 950,000 subs. But they won't release actual numbers for each individual game. People have to use data mining and estimation to then figure out what the numbers are. The FFXIV estimates change every month. But in August, it was estimated as low as 232k. Of course, this is based on people who were beyond a certain point of the game.

Basically, FFXIV could be below 300k or above it. But SquareEnix won't tell us. The producers of DQX have however told us in multiple interviews that DQX sits pretty consistently at 300k in Japan. So if this is still the case, both FFXI and FFXIV are sharing around 650k subs.

Do the classes follow vocation trees like in 6 and 7 or are they all independent of each other like in 9?

Nintendo platforms:
DQI
DQII
DQIII
DQIV
DQV
DQVI
DQIX
DQX

Sony Platforms:
DQVII
DQVIII

Then if you factor in spin offs, remakes and ports, Sony gets more. But still stays well behind Nintendo.

>Why would SE release a version on a console that's never had any MMO
Why did SquareEnix release FFXI on PS2 when it didn't have a huge successful MMO already?

See how your line of thinking doesn't work?

Well I sent one, and mentioned DQM, DQXI, Heroes 2, and Theatrhythm while I was at it

I really want to get more DQ games over here so I figured I might as well take 5 minutes out of my day for this, it can't hurt

The preferred platform for any Dragon Quest game is the console or handheld with the largest install base. That's the tradition. X saw releases on other platforms because the Wii U sold like shit.

Sent ;)

Sent my ticket in yesterday. I'd be happy with just the offline version, since you can make your own party.

FF is also a way bigger name in the west, which is why it came over.

7 and 8 were the only main games that came out on Sony consoles first. And they're not even exclusive anymore since DQ7 got a massively enhanced remake on the 3DS, and DQ8 got a 3DS port with some bonus shit.

>mfw not at home and can't chenpost

That's fine, everyone will agree to that. But that issue is something SquareEnix should have fixed a decade ago. Long before DQX came out.

But despite pre existing hype, Dragon Quest X could still get marketing and hype. DQ as a series is really defying the standard. It actually gains more fans and hype when SquareEnix ignores it. The latest game, Dragon Quest VII on 3DS, had zero marketing. Yet sold the fastest of all western released DQ games. Clearly there's a growing fanbase. SquareEnix just ignores it.

seeEven without that we'd have the Pc version.

Well I sent in a ticket begging em for DQX and Joker 3 Pro. Hopefully this has any kind of effect on their decisions.

DQ came out on Wii almost a year before the Wii U release. And was the first game to come out on the less popular console. SquareEnix was very much against it. But it has done very well.

Porting it to PS4 is a smart idea. But doesn't magically make it more viable as a game. It already became the best selling MMO in Japanese history on the Wii.

Joker 3 is never coming over, and X is too different of an MMO for the western players. Neither one is coming over. The best bet is to hope that XI gets brought over in a timely matter.

>Joker 3 is never coming over, and X is too different of an MMO for the western players. Neither one is coming over.

*unless there is enough fan outcry -Noriyoshi Fujimoto

technobuffalo.com/2016/09/27/square-enix-might-localize-dragon-quest-x/

Done. Unlike other fanbases, Dragon Quest fans aren't obnoxious cunts so I'm happy to help.

And by then, it would be too late for those games to be worth the investment. Maybe X if it's on PC/PS4, but Joker would definitely too late.

Are you implying the Wii sold fewer consoles than the PS3? Because the Wii moved at least 10 million more consoles globally than the PS3, maybe even more. The promise of a Wii U port was meant to get Japanese players to purchase a Wii U before any sales of the console were known.

They're releasing an upgraded version of Joker 3 in Japan, just like Joker 2 did (which we never got even though it was out in Japan by the time we got the regular game), much like how Monster Hunter gets the "Ultimate" games. It was only announced recently.

>a 5 year old MMO would be okay
>but not a 6 month old 3DS game

I feel like it would be more productive putting out demand for XI. Getting the game internationally within a year of the JP release would be the best case scenario.

>Are you implying the Wii sold fewer consoles than the PS3?
I never said anything close to that. I was pointing out that the Wii version of DQX sold far more than expected and retained subs more than any MMO before it (FFXI and FFXIV included).

MMOs have multi year support if they're successful.
The 3DS might be replaced. Or at least, Nintendo's internal developer support for it will be cut off by next year.

That really grinds my gears.

In the unlikely event we have joker 3, is gonna be the original version, not the pro...

This is beyond unfair.

The 3DS successor hasn't even been named yet. It could have 1-2 more years of support. And games regularly sell long after the console is dead (stores are still selling DS games to this day).

Plus, Joker could be released within 6 months if they really wanted to. Like how they rushed DQVII and Bravely Default. The issue isn't 3DS support, price or anything else. Its about the lack of effort from SquareEnix.

Okay, I don't know much about Dragon Quest, but what the fuck is up with the console choices for these games? There seems to be a new platform version of each game ever once in awhile ranging from original Wii to PS4 to 3DS. It seems crazy.

ORU IN WAN PAKKEJI

Can't they stick to their own fucking language?

The only one that's happened with is DQX and that's because unlike the rest of the series it's an MMO

The rest of the games have been released on one system and then remade for one other one a decade later

user, you realize most consoles still get exclusives even years after their replacement is out right? Especially if they were a popular system, PS2 was still getting exclusives until like late 2008.

They put them on whatever's the most popular that gen. Like for the main titles it went
>NES
>SNES
>PS1
>DS
>Fucking everything because it's a Japanese MMO
And 11 is slated to be 3DS/PS4/NX so I guess they're covering all their bases.

Treehouse please. I know your ways. Don't insult my intelligence.

Dragon Quest deserves better translation but life isn't about what you deserve, is it?

Forgot PS2 after PS1, whoops

Treehouse doesn't translate DQ you moron. If you're gonna get mad then at least get mad at the right people.

Probably the most popular and populated platform. DQ1-4 were on NES. DQ5&6 were on SNES, with some SNES remakes of older games. DQ7 moved over to PS1, while DQ1-3 were remade on Game Boy. DQ8 was on PS2, while the system received some remakes/ports of older titles. DS got DQ4-6 and DQ9. Wii got DQ10. DQ7&8 were remade on 3DS.

It's always been going to the most popular platform. The only real exception has been DQX on Wii U, although that was really a port/upgrade to the Wii version.

>idiots still think Treehouse worked on Dragon Quest
So sad how ignorant people are about Dragon Quest.

Oh okay, I guess I assumed all of them were like this from 7 and 8 having 3DS releases recently. Still, having an MMO on all these systems is weird considering how they're looked upon in the west.

Square Enix handles the localizations in-house, don't they? I'm part of the minority that really enjoys modern DQ localization and likes the accents and puns

Yuji Horii (creator, producer and overseer of the DQ series) has stated he will always put the game on the most popular system at the time. And he has since the NES days. Dragon Quest XI is actually going to be put on 3DS and PS4 at the same time, because of how split popularity is this gen. But also because Yuji Horii insisted the next game be on a console.

PC gaming isn't big in Japan, so they slap MMOs on consoles instead. Like how FFXI was mainly on the PS2.

The weird thing with DQX is that it got a PC version when they've clearly had no intentions of releasing it outside of Japan.

Each DQ translation has been farmed out to a secondary company like Plus Alpha or 8-4. However, SquareEnix of Japan oversees the localization and greenlights everything. They are the ones who keep implementing all the dialect and name changes. They also make the initial translation, then pass it to the secondary company who basically cleans it up.

A while ago, before DQIV officially came out in the west, someone leaked the 'beta' translation of DQIV which was done by the localization team in SquareEnix of Japan. It was a hot mess, full of some dialect changes and lots of bad grammar and then long periods where there was just a straight translation and no dialects (as well as no party chat). Plus Alpha was given this and then had to alter it so every area had a dialect similar to the one SE of Japan used.

Source: 8-4 podcast with Richard Honeywood.

The wiiU on the other hand is already dead.

Frankly only Sony really supports their console after the new one is out (the last years of the 360 and Wii were downright embarrassing).

>Frankly only Sony really supports their console after the new one is out
Funny. I just saw Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii and a host of other games still selling at Wal Mart.

Ticket sent, did my part. I want DQX just to fight monsters to that battle theme.

The modern DQ translations are great. The overbearing Ye Olde English of the NES games was awful and a straight translation would be dry as hell, at least punny names and varied accents are memorable and interesting.

And I found an NES copy of Super Mario Bros at a flea market

That has nothing to do with anything, I'm pretty sure he meant 'support' as in 'release new games for'

Other than DQ4 I've been fine with DQ translations

>And I found an NES copy of Super Mario Bros at a flea market
A store selling used games is not the same as the company itself selling new games. It is a form of support for the console. Much like Sega kept selling Dreamcast games 12 years after it died.

Good point. It doesn't really matter. The Nintendo crowd doesn't give a shit about an accurate TL. I learned to avoid anything non imported Nintendo.

Yep. It's just a hunch but I think the PS3 had more games coming out this year.

What if its a Nintendo sponsored flea market store?

ah yes SRW: The Moon Dwellers came out in the PS3 this year. I cant wait for the chingchong-english translation to come out.

Awwww shucks anons. Thanks

do weapon types have their own skills

Yes

nice

The latest FFXIV census in September said that there's currently 300k people who beat the last boss of Heavensward's 3.3 story. Add in the people who aren't even at Heavensward yet and the number is much bigger.

I also sent a letter but I could only do it through DQ Heroes, I think it is the same, they will receive it.

I hope you guys get to play DQX, I really want to play the game too but the fans deserve it.

tl;dr

>Theatrhythm

my nigga

I have a ton of hours on Curtain Call and I've spent like 20 or 30 bucks on DLC for it, I really want to play the DQ one

>tfw you wipe the floor with all your friends in vs mode

Is this the dragon quest VII thread? i need advice on the battle with the almighty, Also why is this guy twerking at me.

Since when were orcs a thing in dragon quest?

thats a dwarf. and the red ones are ogres.

Every character in DQX is a monster race. You play as a human who is teleported into their world and become one of them. The 5 monster races are unique to DQX.

How alive is DQ10's userbase in Japan?

Its the largest MMO community in Japan. Well above FFXI and XIV.

It would have been more interesting if it was an actual monster thats established in the series but you could Customize yourself so your a unique vareint.

>You are locked to a class like WoW
Until you hit 20 as yiur first class, then you can change classes whenever. Each class has its own level

nice slip of the tongue.

wait, are you implying that he is using a computer worm of some sort?
If so I'm glad I did the letter myself through squenix's site.
Or am I getting paranoid?

Honeywood is also the piece of shit that created the standard for dialects and shutty puns and renamings that Japan keeps using

How do you write the message without sounding extremely desperate or needy?

I just wrote that I'm a longtime fan of the series, really enjoyed VII, would be thrilled to see X or DQM or etc, and thank you for considering this request

Y'know, as cool as getting X would be, I don't think I'd actually play it.
MMOs are a big time investment. I don't want to fall into that hole again.

some of us have self control.

Zing!

"Following the request of Noriyoshi Fujimoto, I am writing to confirm my desire for Dragon Quest X to be localized to the west. I would also like to see all the 3DS titles and future titles get a localization.

For Dragon Quest X specifically, there is a great opportunity to appeal to a group of fans not currently being tapped. Many MMO fans are waiting for a new MMO which does not copy World of Warcraft. There is also a large group of fans who enjoyed Final Fantasy XI, but did not like the direction Final Fantasy XIV took. These groups are looking for an alternative to Final Fantasy XIV.

The choice is yours. Do you want people to play another SquareEnix MMO? Or do you want them to seek out an MMO from another company?"

In other words, don't tell them you want it. Tell them why it will make them money.