F.E.A.R

Would you buy this remastered?
What would you improve about it?

This is now F.E.A.R. thread

Other urls found in this thread:

moddb.com/mods/fear-mmod
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just play it on PC. And it will magically be remastered right before your eyes. This game stands the test of time.

I'd just remake it with a different engine
AND REMOVE F3AR FROM THE CANON

Remasters are fucking cancer. They always fuck something up. Why not just replay the original? It's on PC anyway. Just crank up the resolution, AA out the ass, unlock fps and go.

I did, not five minutes ago.
I think the game could use iron sights, increased flashlight duration and reduced slowmo duration. Also, something should be done about all enemies that are not grunts.

Remasters are cancer.
Basicly outsourced cash grabs made by indian codemonekys who were not involved in designing the original game thus runing aspects of it.

Homeworld remaster is great, surprisingly so, for a gearbox title.
Ducktales is considered good, though i never played it, or the original game.
I'm sure there are more examples.
Remasters are not inherently bad, it's just that 90% of them are, indeed, half-assed cash grabs. I'm interested whether you guys would like to see an actually good remaster.

How about releasing the F.E.A.R game involving other paranormal missions? The whole Alma fiasco was suppose to be one fucking mission and case. Could involve different operatives around the world dealing with more spoopy paranormal shit. Enough with Armacham, or make it where all spooky shit is tied to Armacham somehow as fucked experiments that they abandoned.

I would like this

Why would it need a remaster when the lighting and particle effects are better then all modern games today?

There is no point in not including iron sights considering the game already has a zoom-in option that slows you down, it's just that ads would be more aesthetically pleasing. Flashlight is doom 3-level stupid, it contributes nothing to the spooky atmosphere and just makes navigating darker areas between firefights a bit more tiring.
Slowmo makes the game too easy. I know that's the part which makes the game so fun, so i'd love to see some kind of handicap slider to make the game a bit more challenging for the extra playthroughs.

This. If you want more then that just use a subtle mod like this that enhances the game without changing what works.

moddb.com/mods/fear-mmod

It really is ripe for a huge franchise. Shame it was never realized.

That was their original plan actually, I'd love this.

Don't use slo-mo...

Me too. I mean original F.E.A.R is great but what happened that spiraled it all down to Alma, Fettel and Pointman? The idea of being SCP like secret police fighting ghosts, monsters and demons sounds so fucking badass. Hell even the replica clone thing was suppose to be it's own case too

no
im super fucking done with remasters
they are even remastering the consoles now
enough is enough

Too bad the dev has proved they can't into sequels. They ruined both FEAR and Condemned.

Thanks for the link user, never heard of this before. Any other mods I should check out?

I would add controller support. I motioninjoy won't work for it so I can't even play in on my pc
I mean I can but I'm terrible with keyboard and mouse so I can't even beat it on the easiest difficulty

thats impressively bad
id love to see that

Can someone tell me why they decided to continue the story from 1 instead of going this route? 1 wrapped itself up nicely, there was no reason to do what they did in FEAR 2. Why not tell a completekly different story from other FEAR operative's points of view in each sequel? It would have been great.

F.E.A.R. has aged so well. It still looks and sounds great, although the glaringly nonsensical level design and repetitive play is still a drag.
That fucking shotgun too. God dayum.

I just want a happy ending where you can live as one big dysfunctional family.

>Mom, stop liquidising all my friends

Not him, but there's not a whole lot. The mod he linked though is really damn good. I've played the vanilla game literally 18 times, and that mod is perfect.

Probably Warner Brothers forcing them to focus on the cvonsole versions.
There were 2 versions of FEAR 2 in the beginning, one specifically designed for PC and a console version.
Former was scrapped and they just ported the shitty console version to PC.

>That fucking shotgun too. God dayum.

Literally my favorite weapon in any game.

Tried to get it to work on window 10 but with no success.....

Yeah, that mod is great.

>makes AI even better
>can hold 4 weapons instead of 3
>improves the gore effects and particle effects

And more shit that I've probably forgotten. I played it last year, it really is like Vanilla 2.0, which is great.

>tfw they make the shorgun a piece of shit in fear 2

>windows 10

>slow mo
>shotgun
>one blast makes blood, sparks, dust, debris, John Woo paper and physics objects fly around
>it also blasts the grunt in half
So satisfying.

Goddamnit, publishers always ruin everything.

>What would you improve about it?
-More color. Grey and brown are not appealing to look at
-Better pacing or just reduce the length. The office portion of the game dragged on for way too long.
-Improved gore. Make heads disappear with a point blank shotgun blast, instead of just popping off. Also accurate limb dismemberment would be nice.
-More enemy variety would be nice, since 80% of the enemies you fight are the same dude with a different outfit
-Remove the "ORIGIN: UNKNOWN" transmission since it gives away the upcoming horror moment, or just remove them altogether.

You have no idea how angry that made me when I first played. God FEAR 2 was such a disappointment in so many ways.

>that mod

Time to replay, thanks user.

>, it's just that ads would be more aesthetically pleasing.

Only to the people who like that shit. Nobody had a problem without it

> so i'd love to see some kind of handicap slider to make the game a bit more challenging for the extra playthroughs.

Yeah, it's called not using it. Even have an achievo so you can show all your like minded "gamers" how leet you are.

>moddb.com/mods/fear-mmod

Huh, this is different than the MMod I downloaded. Mine had a ridiculously long reflex meter and way more ammo than I would ever need. This looks a lot better.

Although I still wish they'd get rid of the laser gun, or at least reduce the ammo count.

>More color. Grey and brown are not appealing to look at
It does need a bit more color, yes

>The office portion of the game dragged on for way too long.
Nigger, the office parts are the best thing about the game for me.

>Improved gore. Make heads disappear with a point blank shotgun blast, instead of just popping off. Also accurate limb dismemberment would be nice.
moddb.com/mods/fear-mmod

>More enemy variety would be nice, since 80% of the enemies you fight are the same dude with a different outfit
They're Clone soldiers. And since their AI is so good and fun to fight, I didn't mind.

>Remove the "ORIGIN: UNKNOWN" transmission since it gives away the upcoming horror moment, or just remove them altogether.
I agree, but at the same time, the holw "ORINGIN UNKNOWN" and the crackling noises that came with it actually were scary in their own right, as you knew shit was about to go down. It's kind of a catch 22 for me.

It would not be FEAR then.

>Decent level design.
>More than a couple of enemy types.
>Better guns.
>Less shit storyline.
>Fewer jump scares and more actual horror elements.

>Although I still wish they'd get rid of the laser gun, or at least reduce the ammo count.

You can just drop it and never see it again. That's what I did, just fucked around with it for a bit and then got rid of it.

More color sounds good, I'm sure there is a way to make office buildings look better than they do now.
Not sure about the enemy variety though, armored soldiers, drones and mechs are the worst part of the game imo. Drones are the best enemies.

>Would you buy this remastered?
Yes.

- Add all the Instant Action maps, including the console exclusive ones.
- Add the console exclusive weapons.
- Directly import the Condemned 1 levels and turn them into Instant Action maps.
- Add achievements.

That's it.

>Nigger, the office parts are the best thing about the game for me.
Well good for you user, but I could have done with less of them

>moddb.com/mods/fear-mmod
I played that and it's great fun, but OP's question is what would I change in a remaster, and I would want MMod's gore.

>They're Clone soldiers. And since their AI is so good and fun to fight, I didn't mind.
I know they're clone soldiers but I would have liked more of those invisible ninja dudes, or some sort of charging melee enemy to mix things up a bit.

>
Well I'm not a big fan of the horror element in general, so I don't really care either way, but I was startled a lot more in FEAR 2 because they didn't give away all the jumpscares (although they still gave away a lot of them)

Yeah that's what I'll probably do, I just don't see the point in it. We already have like 3 rapid-fire rifles (4 if you count PM)

Sounds good

Personally I would tweak some weapons a bit.

The nailgun doesn't really feel that powerful to me, and I would make it slower but more powerful, pinning enemies with just 1 or 2 shots.

The Repeater Cannon didn't feel all that powerful to me, I would make it instantly gib regular grunts

Alternate fire or iron sight would be welcome for some weapons.

Also include the grenade cocking mechanic from FEAR 2, I really liked that one

run as administrator.
worked for prey as well.
seems to fix problems with older pc games.

Also reduce the ammo count for some weapons (mainly the shotgun) by maybe 30-40%. I never even came close to running out of ammo with that.

Make the flashlight last longer, or just make it last forever.

It's not like you ever have to fight in complete darkness, so what's the point.

FEAR is a woefully underrated game. As someone who enjoyed a lot of competitive FPS at the time FEAR was the most fun to play multiplayer.

The single player campaign was just stock-standard FPS stuff, it was fun, sure, but there's only so much you can do with single-player FPS.

The multiplayer, though? Man, FEAR fucking rocked tits multiplayer. I don't think it was particularly well balanced, basically your choice was between the nail gun and going around unarmed. That's what I loved about it, though, opting not to have a weapon actually provided enough benefits to make it a worthwhile option.

Also, you could head-shot people with your fists.

>that shitty turret sequence near the end
Almost made me drop the game.

What was wrong with it?

I mean the song was ... weird, to say the least, but you already had several turret sections

>underrated

I don't think it is, people praise it all the time, especially here on Cred Forums

I never see people talk about it. Even when it was first released it took ages to get into a good multiplayer game.