I need a game like gothic 2 badly. What franchise would satisfy me?

I need a game like gothic 2 badly. What franchise would satisfy me?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=m4xZewnUl2k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Gothic

Gothic and only that. There is nothing similar unles you count that fucking shit risen.
You could also try Severance: Blade of darkess but that's a hack&slash not an RPG but your char develops a bit so I dunno go for it, game is incredible

Risen you nigger

The reward is coming for the faithful

TW1

>That disgusting and clunky piece of shit witout climate
>reward
you're out of your mind

I have mixed feelings about elex DESU. I am digging fantasy elements but sci fi looks totally out of place.
>american muhreen with moro fighting raptors with a fucking flaming sword and jetpack

>american muhreen with moro fighting raptors with a fucking flaming sword and jetpack
M8 do you even 40k?

> fucking shit risen
Risen 1 was extremly good for the first 2 acts, the rest was mostly hack&slash but so was Gothic 1/2.

Risen 1 is what Gothic 3 should have been.

Played it already and played risen, definietely not as good as gothic 2. I need a game with satisfying level progression. Friend suggested me dark souls but really other then it being fantasy RPG i don't see many similarities.

>user makes a Gothic thread within the same minute I make one for Risen
Herp. I'm migrating my rambling over here then. I hope you don't mind, OP.

Just finished Risen. It was harder for me to get into than the Gothics, but in the end I liked it a lot. Should I pick up Risen 2? Y/N

A few impressions:
I thought it was pretty interesting that the combat system felt more like it was building on Gothic 1 instead of Gothic 2 or 3. There are many things I don't like about it, but it worked alright. Still, strange decision.

Magic was godawful. It was so incredibly fucking terrible I wonder if it was some kind of joke on PB's part or they just once again ran out of time.

The map was great though, as was exploration. But although I'm grateful that mantling returned, even if only in a limited way, I don't understand why we can't have proper Acrobatics anymore. Or why were the terrain physics of Gothic 3 scrapped, when it was one of the few cool things about that game and Risen uses the same engine. And most importantly, what happened to swimming? You could swim in Gothic 3, just not dive. So why is it that in a game using the same tech every time you get close to deep water you get a cutscene of a seaworm eating you? Why is it that all waters on the island itself are at worst ankle deep? It's pretty jarring and I just don't get it.

And finally, the English translation of the game has to be one of the most inconsistent translations I've ever seen. It's as if they had several translators, one who tried to translate faithfully, one who deviated at times but still tried to keep at least bits of the original message, and one translator who doesn't even speak German and made shit up on the spot. It's quite incredible. It adds, then removes, then distorts, elaborates, changes completely, often quite important shit. Some characters barely even resemble the originals. Eldric for some reason got a speech tic where he keeps repeating words.

see
gothic was major inspiration for Witcher. Not in design sense but overall feel is suprisingly simmilar.

And the English translation has this weird as fuck fascination with freedomz, self-determination and the tyranny of the gods. You hear it in the intro, you hear it from Ursegor, and Mendoza rambles about it every two minutes, yet it is nowhere to be found in the German. "A mage banished the gods to free humanity from slavery." How does Mendoza even know about this? Was he subscribed to Xardas' twitter?

And then there are times when the trasnlation is faithful... and then just randomly changes one key detail. Ursegor in English always talks about the gods in plural. The gods gave him the power, the gods betrayed him, gods this, gods that. Meanwhile in German he served only one, the god of darkness. And his task was not to fight Titans in general, like he says in English. He was to seal the Fire Titans, and only them. He is angry at all gods because he got caught up in their war and got royally fucked over. This is kind of a big deal.

But the best is that if there were several translators, then they sure as fuck never tried to make sure their shit is at least internally consistent. In German the first time you meet Mendoza he tells you they came from the mainland and follow the order of the king. In English this was scrapped. When you later confront him about the Titan he loses it and finally admits the king is long dead and the mainland is gone. In English this was scrapped too. And then you visit Commandant Carlos and ask him if Mendoza really spoke the truth. And surprise, this is suddenly in the English version. No build up, no anything, you out of the blue ask a question you have zero reason to ask because no one ever talked about it.

I especially loved how the after-credits scene between the hero and Patty got changed from "they are going to fugg" to talking about fighting other Titans and saving the world.

Also
>But something was released, something older than man has Risen.
...seriously? And they do this twice.

Risen 1 was actually quite good.
Not as food as G2, but the closesr we'll ever get.

Risen 2 is shit and especially devastating if you pick it up right after 1 because it changes everything, usually for worse.

There are some exceptions though

On the other hand Risen 3 is bretty good. Not as good as Risen but definitely a step in the right direction, and they even improved some concepts.

>Magic was godawful. It was so incredibly fucking terrible I wonder if it was some kind of joke on PB's part or they just once again ran out of time.
Because magic was op in the end in the gothic games. Tbat's also feedback they got back then. Because of that they tried to make it less Op but in the process they completely botched it.

Saying it's godawful isnt true, though. Being mage is string as fuck if you like buffing yourself and then hit on things with a stick.
It's only godawful if you want to play a nuker.

By "everything" do you really mean everything? For example, is it worse than Gothic 3?

Well, the game is $20 on GOG, so there is absolutely no way I'm getting it until it goes on sale. $20 would be more than I paid for the entire Gothic trilogy and Risen together, so I sure as hell ain't going to give this much money for a bad sequel.

Pretty much this, jumped to risen 2 just after finishing 1 and uninstalled it after 2 hours. They motherfucking consolized it. The UI is fucking terrible and setting is completely changed. Instead being similarish to gothic/medieval setting we are pirates now and that means XVII century clothings etc.

try the returning 2.0 russian mod

Well it was mostly lazy way on my part to say they changed the atmosphere, swaping from typical fantasy to poorly handled pirate story. The combat is shit. Dificulity curve is shit. Even interface is shit.

I'd say Risen is just as bad as the Gothic series, so you might want to try that
>there are actual fans of gothic and risen

>PB will never realise what made Gothic great
>even when it's right there staring them in the face
>ELEX will be shit yet PB still has enough good faith among their european fans that it will still be a success

PB just have no idea about game design. They are like this friend who's a Hobby Film Maker who genuinly thinks his stuff is brilliant, but it's just cheap because he is blind for quality.

I liked all of their games, because they actually get really fun once you become the op powerhouse who just fucks everybodies shit after being the Grunt for so long.

I will buy elex. I think it will be immersive as usual and I heard the German voicecast of Gothic has a Comeback. But man, i have no hope that it won't feel like a unity fangame by now. The combat we've seen is presented so piss poor, it looks Silly. And I remember Björn Pankratz say "we wanted something like Dark Souls"... Guess what, here's Risen combat with a stamina bar.

>stamina bar
There is a saying that follows:
>to realize how good stamina based combat system in dark souls is you need to play other games with stamina system.
most of them are absolute trash

When I say it was godawful I don't really mean it was weak. Which it was, but that's not my primary issue with magic. It is just simply a terribly put together system.

The spell selection is awful.
You have healing spells that are completely useless as runes, because they heal slowly and eat up dickloads of mana, which is a harder to replenish resource than health. The basic healing spell gives you 50 HP for 20 mana. This is ridiculous, and by far the slowest way to heal. Compare it to the basic healing spell of Gothic 2, that for 10 mana would heal you 200 HP, and do it faster than all but the best health potion.
You have transformation - a grand total of two of them. No Gothic game had this limited transformation magic, and it is especially a huge step down coming from Gothic 3.
You have some spells, like speed or telekinesis that are mainly used for dodging traps. Problem is, much like with the Nautilus transformation, whenever you need it in a dungeon, the game is always eager to give you the necessary scroll in the very same room, rendering the rune completely useless. Not to mention while they made speed a spell, they nerfed a fuck out of alchemy, which now can only make health/mana and permanent potions. Everything else gone.
You have a single summoning spell. One. And you can summon exactly one skeleton with it. Sure it is permanent, but come on.
Berserk is good, although you won't need it often.

Now here's the issue, proper mages get only rune magic as their exclusive shtick. And rune magic, for the most part, is useless. When needed, you get the scroll, which not only any character can use, but is also cheaper. And outside these situations, when will you need them? Almost never.

cont.

Offensive spells are as you sad, weak. The most insulting part about it is that you get only one AoE spell, Inferno, and it is utterly fucking useless. By the time you get it, you know what you will fight? Lizards. And Inferno does fuckall against them. You can't kill ANY lizard with it, despite it costing 80 mana. And you will usually meet Elite Warriors or stronger. You know how many Infernos it takes to kill a single EW? Five.

Let me sum it up, your only AoE damage spell, that you only get in the final chapter, you have to cast 5 times, for a total of 400 mana, just to kill one of the most common enemies in that chapter.

And then there's WIS. Oh god, WIS. I don't even know what they were going for with that shit. I suppose they didn't want to restrict magic rank advancement by chapter like they did in G1-2. Which is a nice idea, but they did it anyway, except in a more roundabout way. Because the way they distributed the items that boost WIS, you can only get to rank 3 once you explored the Chapter 3 dungeons, and to rank 4 when you finished a few Chapter 4 dungeons. Maybe it was meant to promote exploration? Can't be, because WIS increasing items are always found in main quest locations you absolutely have to go through. Does it do anything beyond restricting your already awful rune availability? Nope. G3's Ancient Knowledge at least worked as the STR/DEX of magic. Risen's WIS is a completely, 100% redundant stat that has absolutely no reason to exist.

1 Play risen

2 Aquire magic bullets

3 Take all enemies to stagger town

To be fair they already experimented with stamina based combat with Gothic 3, long before the Souls games. And it wasn't the worst thing ever. On paper at least, since in practice the unfinished combat system kind of overshadows everything and because of it stamina doesn't quite get to serve the purpose it was meant to serve.

Nope.

Witcher ain't got shit on Gothic 1 and 2.

>still using the same godawful combat from Risen 2 and 3
It's gonna be shit senpai

TW1 has a very similar atmosphere to gothic 1 and 2 and is even far superior in my opinion

They said it's a new system. Just because the placeholder animations were taken from Risen that doesn't meant we know how the underlying combat system works. Especially since they said many times that it is not yet finished, and they don't know for sure what will be scrapped and what they'll change after balancing starts.

Spoiler: Its Risen with Sci Fi Skin.
Guns & Magic is OP, Sword is useless.

> Risen with Sci Fi Skin
> Guns & Magic is OP, Sword is useless.

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

>tfw legit liked gothic 1 controls and combat system and wouldn't mind something similar

I mean sure, the beginning was a bit tough but once you understand that left mouse is a lock-on and directions are actions it's cool, can play with one hand.

Speaking of Risen, what crystal is good there to blow shit up? Crystal or Fire? And if you didn't try fists, they're fast as fuck, you can stunlock someone or hit him twice and doge another fucker trying to swing at you, doubt it'll be fun against lizardmen due to their high health though.

Gothic with guns

youtube.com/watch?v=m4xZewnUl2k

It looks worse than fucking risen 1 for some reason

Deebly goncerned

It may sound odd, but that Enderal mod everyone talked about couple months ago has real Gothic/Risen 1 feel.
Maybe it is because Germans made it. I don't know. But it is there. From ore mining to cave exploring.

Just for fun, here's the German intro of Risen:
>You are surely asking yourself where we are. But the correct question is: "What has occurred?" I will tell you that story... The Gods have left this world. And their slaves - beings of ancient power - once again arise. In their fury they drive humanity to extinction. The survivors attempt to reach one of the few remaining safe havens. But no one can escape their destiny...

And here is the English:
>For longer than humanity remembers. The Gods ruled, humanity served as slaves. But life never remains in balance. Power passed to man and man banished the Gods from the world. But something was released, something older than man has Risen. Given their freedom, humanity must fight for survival. Some cling to safety, others fight. It is a time... Where a man's choices define him.

It would do piranha bytes some good to hire more people

German ending narration:
>The power of the Titan will continue protecting the island. One of the final remaining enclaves of humanity has been saved. Do you think this is the end of the story? No! What happened here is only just the beginning. The fight against the Titans has only just begun. Come! There is still a long road ahead of us...

And the English cutscene:
>For hundreds of years, humanity lived as slaves to the Gods. When the Gods left, the Titans rose. Mankind was left to die. But one island has survived. One man has shown the way. The flame of hope burns bright. Mankind has Risen.

I just hope rolling won't have insane invincibility frames and enemies will be aggressive. Or that they will stick with this game and have a good Elex 3. I mean Gothic 3 does have an end of sorts but can't say i liked it as closure and Risen appears to have been dropped too.

While i enjoyed Risen 3 rolling made shit way too easy, just bait enemies into attacking you and roll all day. Wish i found out sooner that ultra difficulty removed invincibility frames from rolling.

Magic was shit in Risen though.
And guns even more.

I think I prefer the English version, especially for the ending.

Just play Risen 1. It's better than any Gothic game.

It was weird. I played with german voices and i remember this dialogue with Jan.

>voice: "nope"(as in would rather live a free man than be a slave)
>text: "you really like driving that be free point don't you"

Surprised i even managed to read that one in time.

Arx Fatalis has a very similar feel.

PB game translations in english have always sucked.

Well, sure. That was written for English after all, the German is only a translation. I don't really like how it forces the whole "humans were the slaves of the gods" and "now we have freedom" thing though. But for the record, I like how hype it sounds. If not for those fucking "Risen" title drops completely ruining it, I would actually like them a lot more.

Here's the German after-credits scene:
>HERE you are... are you hurt?
>Ah, it's nothing.
>Let me see... that looks bad...
>Nothing a few potions won't fix.
>Yeah, yeah, but for now you need to rest. >Come, I'll take care of you...
>I think I could enjoy that...

And the English one:
>So, you made your choice then?
>I made my choice.
>And we're all still alive, for now. You sealed the Titan inside the mountain?
>That Titan anyway, there are still other >Titans out there, but with this armour maybe we stand a chance.
>You're going to fight them all? Alone?
If I have to. They need to be stopped. That's my choice. Whether I do it alone. That's yours...

>what is darksaga
>what is velaya
>what is golden gate
>what is returning 2.0
>what is requiem mod
>what is odysee
>what is dark mysteries for gothic 1
They all have english subtitles ( some better some worse) but dark mysteries non buggy version doesnt have a translation, but anyways user theres probably 500hrs of gameplay in all these combined so you better get going

Witcher is absolutely nothing like Gothic you millennial shill.

For one, Gothic is an actual RPG

I previously posted the ending of the murder investigation quest, which was quite... something. Give me a few minutes I'll try to dig it up.

In the meantime, have this conversation between Carlos and the PC. First the original, then the translation:
>What? Tell me everything!
>Okay then... but listen well!
>Yeah, yeah, get on with it.
>Alright, so we open the golden gate and now we are down in the darkness... so far so good... but then...
>Aha... hmm...
>...so we continue on... and I kill those creatures...
>Well, well... I see...
>...and of course I pull that lever... go deeper... and I have to levitate... and in the end I put those skulls on the altar and the gate opens...
>Seriously? Well, well...
>...and then he is crazy... and then he is like...
>What? The whole island will be destroyed?
>Yes, that, and then I tell him: Hey, you can't do that! But... but he throws me out and locks the gate!
>Hm... thank you for telling me about this.

>A Titan?
>We found a Fire Titan, trapped within the mountain.
>What if it escapes?
>If it escapes, the island will be destroyed. Burned to a crisp. But it has been trapped for over a thousand years.
>There's an edge to that good news.
If we disturb things inside the mountain, the Fire Titan may be released.
>The Inquisitor will understand that.
>The Inquisitor is trying to release the Titan. He thinks he can use it.
>He said he was seeking for a weapon.
>But if he can't control it. If it gets loose.
>The whole island will be destroyed.
>If he can, the Inquisitor will march the Titan away from here, but it is the Titan's presence that has protected the island.
>So, if he succeeds, or he fails... the whole island will be destroyed.

I feel you with the controls. I would really like to have another game in the style of Gothic 1 and 2, especially worse graphics. It's so easy to mod these games and modify their worlds with a 3D Modelling tool without even being very good at making models because you just have to work with low polygons, same with scripting, it's so easy copy and pasting.

I also love the way these games look like, the story, the world, the models, the music just everything.

>TW1 has a very similar atmosphere to gothic 1 and 2 and is even far superior in my opinion

Shit taste tbqh

Even tho i prefer Gothic, Witcher is more of an RPG, because of countless choices to make. Kill yourself ya pathetic faggot.

TW1 was made with Gothic in mind. TW2 was inspired by consolish turd Mass Effect. TW3 was aiming for Skyrim audience.

but why

Okay, here's the German murder quest.

>You little fuckers never learn!
>Well, well, MASTER Bronco! What can I do for you?
>It was extremely stupid of you to enter the weed business.
>Ash understood he should steer clear of it. Apparently you did not.

1:
>Let's do this business together!
>Hahaha, you are pretty bold. Hemlar only tried to buy his life. But you can forget about it, I have no need of you! You are nothing more than an annoying obstacle!

2:
>I only did it to find Hemlar's murderer. You.
>Yeah? You think you are a very clever boy, do you? But it won't help you any. Now it's too late!

>Why did Hemlar have to die?
>For the same reason you have to die - and anyone else who thinks he can make some quick gold here!
>And that would be?
>Gold, you stupid nosy brat! *I* will be the one to take over the business. I want the weed business, and I will not let some greenhorns screw it up.

FIGHT

>...ouch ...everything hurts...
>Did you have enough?
>...yes ...dammit...
>You'll stay here, understood?!
>...yes, anything you want...

1:
>That's 'anything you want, MASTER'!
>Yes... Master... anything you want... Master!
>There you go.

2:
>Alright.

And here is the English "translation".

>Why did you do it, lad?
>Do what, Master Aric?
>Couldn't you have come to me first? You really don't understand, do you?

1:
>I understand you are looking for a business opportunity. Maybe we should find one together.
>Not after what you did. You have no idea. You've no idea what's happening beyond this island!

2:
>I just did this to find Hemlar's killer. That's you, 'Master' Aric.
>You think I don't care about what I did? I never intended it to end this way. You think I don't wake up in a cold sweat every night seeing his face?

>Then why did you kill him?
>All I wanted was my share. For helping him find clients, for turning a blind eye. I needed that gold to get back to the mainland. I have to find them.
>So, what's happening on the mainland?
>I may never know now. It may be too late. Too late for any of us. The Brugle was my last hope to get home. Their last hope.

FIGHT

>Enough. Enough.
>Very well.
>I thought you were different. That you could see what's really going on here.
>I'm just doing what I can to survive.
>As was I, lad.

1:
>I'm not interested in your motives, Aric.
>I hope one day you get the chance to understand.
>Self-pity doesn't suit you.

2:
>Hey!

But why what?

>because of countless choices to make
You know what else has that? Choose Your Own Adventure books and Visual Novels. Yet neither are RPGs.

Why pointlessly change all that shit in the English translation.

CYOA > VN's > RPG's

It's called progress.

>Finished Risen and Risen 2 recently
>Had fun with both

Risen 2 felt like a knockoff Pirates of the Carribean game, that first tribe of natives had some legit WE WUZ KANGZ lines and muskets were hilariously strong.

Beats me. Although I just noticed they had Rihanna Pratchett on the translation team. That might explain some things.

It is pretty shitty though. When I buy a translation I trust the translator to give me something as close to th source material as language differences allow. Changing things here and there is fine. I mean, Gothic for the most part was almost a word for word translation, but there were small things it changed. Like Xardas is generally known as "The Necromancer" instead of "The Demon Summoner", because the former just plainly sounds better in English. Or how they didn't even try to translate the word play Erzbaron and Erzdämon (where "Erz" can stand for both "ore" and the prefix "arch-"), because it is pretty much untranslatable and it is not that important. This is perfectly fine. But completely and pointlessly rewriting things as they please is going way too far.

And the English translation of Risen axed the TETRIANDOCH reference. That's unacceptable.

Xardas' voice actor will be in it, so that's not a bad start. I guess we'll get a not-Xardas mentor character again because why change what's not broken. But hey, I'm okay with that.