youtu.be/U1HpkvoMXnw
youtube.com/watch?v=E0scnF8pXfU
youtube.com/watch?v=-nXdtDgpPeE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>took too fucking long
>too ambitious
>turned out mediocre

terraria or starbound?

Terraria has better combat, progression, and bossfights. Starbound is perfect for comfy building because you can always toggle /admin and spawn whatever materials you need.

It gets pretty boring, since unlike Terraria, the only progress that happens is numbers becoming bigger.

it was better before they added quests

They removed or scrapped any of the unique and interesting mechanics, the single player is bad, the monsters suck, and there's little point in building since all you do is planet hop while mining all the surface minerals.
But ironically the lighting is way better than Terraria and you get access to the advanced building tools much eariler.

It does some things better than Terraria, but what Terraria does better is more important.

Actually playable now as opposed the absolutely awful beta clusterfuck, but still seriously lacks content. Hoping for some good updates.
Pretty good time killer. I'd get more out of it if I had at least a little bit of creativity. So I could build something. But oh well.

it's okay in spite of itself
chucklefish made fuckloads of questionable game design decisions, stripped out tons of content literally the night before release, and the story is the most bland shit they could have possibly done
however with a mere 40-50 mods to fix chucklefish mistakes and add more content you can make it a pretty good game

In their efforts to make it better, it was purposefully designed to slow you down, force you to explore underdeveloped worlds with mediocre generation, absolutely repetitive monster generation, and ruined lore whilst needing movement abilities/not improving performance.

Its a okay game, not great, not exactly bad either, but it never gets past a 7 or lower than a 6. Maybe try it, but as someone that got a copy back in koala versions, shit ended up bad enough as is desu.

It's a great game. I just wish they'd finish it.

Also fuck volcanic biomes. Fucking firelord pants and lava balls everywhere, what the hell.

Why is the character creator so awful
Why is there not a mod to make it less awful yet

Why isnt there a way in vanilla to deal with lava, what were they thinking?

Uh, liquid collection? What do you mean?
My problem with it is the items it spawns in chests. Which is ALWAYS either a part of the Firelord set (mostly pants) or 5 (five) lava balls.

This
Terraria has more reason to explore, better character progression, combat (I mean both combat systems are basic but Terraria takes it further), and just things fit together better. Terraria's elements have a purpose.
I also hate that most weapons in Starbound take energy as opposed to straight ammunition.

WE

>I also hate that most weapons in Starbound take energy as opposed to straight ammunition.
I actually prefer them taking energy, hate items that get actively used up in open world games. Potions too. But that's just me. It's also easier to balance against melee.

i hate the fucking slippery movement, it's like the whole galaxy is made of ice

it also doesn't help that current-tier monsters can fucking 3-4 shot you

Not awful, but pretty bad in comparison to Terraria.
And since they themselves advertised the game as Terraria in space, it's a fair comparison to make.

Lack of weapons variate. Only melee and guns. Magic is completely useless and non-existing.
Lack in enemy variate. Everything feels the same.
Lack in biome variate. Everything feels the same.
Once you have seen one planet you have seen them all except the super late game planets which are just bad.
Absolutely no incentive to build a colony since the NPCs offer nothing of value.

If you're having trouble jumping onto 1x1 floating blocks, jump first and move after. You'll get used to it.
Then you get techs and it stops mattering.

>Magic is completely useless and non-existing.
Now that's bullshit. It scales well. A bit slow with the charge times but it works.

Post YFW this motherfucker shows up

CUTE

its a meh clone of Terraria which is a meh game in itself.

>Game about fucking space exploration
>Gravity is your permanent nemesis, no way to remove fall damage potential
>No goddamn jetpacks or flying or anything, just double/triple jumps and short duration hovering
>Can't even fucking double jump out of a dash, have to stop dashing before you can double jump
>Grapple hook is infinitely more clunky to use compared to Terraria

I dont think they ever decided between silly or srs

>A bit slow with the charge times but it works.
Works what?
Follows the cursor with an awful delay and deals? Sure. But I would like to actually play the game and have actual magic like in Terraria where things are different and not just raining ice, raining fire and balls that follow the cursor.

Magic is pure shit in the game.

scam

its a good game for the price.

Hate come from Early Access suckers and Terraria autists.

Taken for what it is its a comfy game for pocket change.

you really dont know what you are talking about, you can barely work with lava, sensors break with lava so you cant wire anything to work with lava except for liquid collection but that doesnt work on sea of lava (where lava is generated so it doesnt go lower than the surface).

You cant explore under those planets, you can fall into lava and survive for some seconds before you are killed from the damage. For example lava in terraria is strong too but you can become invulnerable to it with potions.

Why the fuck there isnt a suit to explore lava biomes, or some sort of shield that protects you from getting burned.

Somehow has less content now than the initial alpha release in december 2013.

i've given up trying to jump on anything smaller than 3-wide platforms since the fall damage in this game is fucking brutal and just tapping a directional button at the edge of a platform will send you flying at warp speed

it's more of a hindrance in combat than anything, especially since mobs seem to rubberband everywhere IN A FUCKING SINGLE PLAYER WORLD

Having put around 60 hours into Starbound and about 400 hours into Terraria I can definitively say Terraria is the better game by far.

Exploration in Starbound feels meaningless and the combat is god awful. There are some neat mechanics like proximity sensors and not needing to place actual wires for wiring. But that's about it.

There was a time when you could do both dash and jump, and you could explore a planet in seconds as there was a dash that you could do while flying that barely took any energy

The progression and the quests are ass
>DUDE RIGHT CLICK SOME FURNITURE
>DUDE DO IT 5 MORE TIMES

Yeah, there was a time where the movement in the game was barely good.
Then they completely ruined it and never added anything to give you more maneuverability.

Why they never added a freaking jetpack is beyond me.

There is a jetpack tech
it is shit

>sorry there's not enough furniture on this entire planet for you to scan, go find another one

You mean the "hover for a quarter of a millisecond and then drop to your death because fuck you, gravity wins" tech?

whoop dee doo, just slowly walk away from it. It only gets faster if you mine shit tons of stuff, and that's only a threat if you have no pathway or digging tools

>you really dont know what you are talking about
I wasn't even talking about anything, just clarifying what you meant.
Volcanic biomes/planets don't have nearly as much lava and are quite explorable. You're thinking of "magma" ones.

>Why the fuck there isnt a suit to explore lava biomes
That I don't know. You can fish there though.

Then everything else is just as much of pure shit. There isn't much variety in anything yet.

If you upgrade your mater manipulator you can mind faster than you can move and thanks to the low gravity, you can easily jump out of the holes you dig.
Most of the times I didn't even see the guy.

The fact that there's nothing to eliminate fall damage now is stupid.

Understatement of the year. So many games of this generation vs. previous generations can be summed up with this statement.

Smut mods yet?

It did No Man's Sky before No Man's Sky did No Man's Sky.

No, there was a tech you could use non stop. It was in an old release. They removed it because people just used that, it was perfect for moving around, exploring, never dying.

>No, there was a tech
>was
Exactly.

I kinda like the aesthetics of Terraria better. Also the character in Starbound are in desperate need of outlines or better color schemes.

>being a furry
end yourself my man

What does everyone think of this?
youtu.be/U1HpkvoMXnw

I think it looks (just visually) like shit.

PROCEDURALLY GENERATED

This is a fucking meme

Why would you want that over hand crafted worlds?

You can mod it back in, but yeah vanilla is seriously flawed. I got no idea why they took that and just added more shit that no one ever uses

because retards still fall for the "haha this game can be fun forever" meme

For consistency, I guess. They'll probably add a lot of stuff back in after they decide how to implement it better.

Starbound is fluff, Terraria is crunch.

So basically, Starbound looks prettier and fancier and shit but after playing it for 73 hours from the alpha to release I must say that the actual meat on the bones tastes like fucking shit.

Don't buy it because it has bird tits or plant tits or something.

Procedurally generated would probably be better. It's stupid that every planet seems to have the same 6 enemies and the only difference is that this guy does 30 damage but this other guy does 300 damage.

It's fun in Terraria. It's fun in Minecraft. It's fun in games like Diablo.
It's not fun in Starbound.

No one thinks the game can actually be played indefinitely. There are only so many variations that can be generated. It's limited and after a while you start noticing the patterns. But if the variation is big enough, it allows for a lot of replayability, just like in Terraria. The core part is the same, but everything else is different enough to not get boring for several playthroughs. And because more than just one playstyle is viable, you don't need to grind for the drops until you can make farms to get exactly what you want.

A game like Terraria would end up being pretty boring with a single handcrafted world.

terraria

it will take starbound at least another fucking 3 years to be where terraria's at right now

Instead of saying terraria is better for the 300th time can we talk about the few things Starbound did right.
Like making foreground and background tiles one thing?

you need mods to really enjoy starbound, or battle servers.

It's ability to place more than one block at a time was good, and the painting and wiring tool.
In general it had better decorating and building. It's a better crafting game but that's about it.

It lost its luster after ~12 hours of playing for me. At least it's not No Man's Sky which is something I guess.

>It's a better crafting game but that's about it.
A big flaw is that crafting takes time.
You never craft things while in danger because the menu is shit. So there was no reason to have it craft so slow.
Worst problem is turning a lot of ore or sand into ingots or glass.

Is it time ?

>welp i got a stack of sand i'll need to make into glass so i can work on my base
>guess i'll go make a cup of coffee or something

i hate unnecessary wait times in games so much

Someone doing gods work and improving the bad sprites.

it's all her fault

Yeah, I meant building structures, as opposed to crafting blocks. That stupid time limit was a thing added in the final release and it's dumb

>They removed or scrapped any of the unique and interesting mechanics,

Heat, hunger, oxygen? are those in?
Did they add in collision damage?

Hunger yes, but it's bad.
Oxygen yes, but there is an item that you can craft early that completely removes it.
No heat.

There are really hot planets where you take damage without the right backpack but there's no variable temperature. Oxygen you'll be set with in the first 10 minutes. I'm really disappointed that all the races are identical.

>capture the challenge room white cat
>worlds crash when it tries to jump
Fuck. Should have known better than to capture creatures from an "unstable pocket dimension".

>you need mods

That's the thing, nobody should have to use mods to fix a shit game.

I've heard Frackin' Universe was decent or something and that's about it, and I've got no idea if its idea of 'decent' is bloat.

I actually really like it even more than terraria
One of the better space exploration games out right now

I thought it was one of the most ambitious parts of the whole thing, theres like 500 variations on your little nameless hero

whats wrong with it

It's barebones. The only reason I bother with it is that there are supposed to be content updates later.

Have you never used a character creator before?

so you're not going to answer

whats wrong with it

It's barebones as fuck, just like every other part of the game
Have you never used a character creator before?

Sure, a couple things like eyes colors or lil details could be good but it's really hard to do anything with so little space and pixels

I just wish it let me use the male body sprite for females. I mean why the fuck not, you can already put long hair and some girly clothing (or jut a cute idle pose) on a male character and it stops being male.
Females' chest looks like garbage, especially with some particular outfits.

It's alright, better now than when it started, but still plagued by poor design. The story mode and unskippable cutscenes and shit are really awful even though I like the concept of prebuilt dungeons and stuff. The fact that it's still just a basic tier slog with no meaty filling in between and then all content suddenly comes to a complete stop is what keeps me from caring about going back to it. I can put hundreds of hours into Terraria because each new session offers something interesting and unique, but Starbound tries to shove it all into one session with all the different planets and fails at offering anything worth doing on them.

The one thing i like with this game is how easy it is to mod it

Does it let me become a genie?
No?
Don't care.

Is the base item price even used directly anywhere? When selling it's always 20% of it, and when buying it's just a bit above.

Context: Rho is a former dev for Starbound.

>can't skip text
>boring missions before you can do anything
>too slow mining
Terraria has mostly a natural progression curve. This does not, this is artificial and dare I say it, written in stone path.

>>too slow mining
Nigga, it's sanic fast with a fully upgraded manipulator.

I liked Starbound. I liked the idea of flying to different planets and just exploring them. I also had fun building shit on different planets like dedicating an entire planet to just farming/storage/zoo/etc.

I never really got into Terraria for some reason. I tried it a bunch of times but I always lose interest at the beginning. Plus there's something about the artstyle I don't really like. I know I'm in the minority.

Should I try Terraria again?

Fun for 50 hours or so. Rapidly goes downhill once you see all the ways they fucked up or made weird design choices. I do love that there's npc villages around, even though there are no cities.

Biggest problem for me is how fucking barebones most of the features are. Pretty much everything they implemented is in it's most basic form just so they can say it's there.

> fun for 50 hours before it goes downhill

You're not exactly making a convincing case, user.

terraria really starts to get good once you get a grappling hook and other movement options like rocket boots and cloud'n'bottle. If you've gotten that far and still didn't like it then I'm not sure you'll like the rest of the content.

Procedural generation should always come with heavy rules and limits, instead of just being fuckin' willy nilly as you go.

Terraria for instance. It's pretty predictable. The Dungeon will always be opposite the Jungle. The Tundra will always be opposite the Great Desert. There will always be at least three MINIMUM sky islands, with at least one of each of their rewards. I know that if you've got a specific seed with Starbound and Minecraft, then you can find the exact same worlds built the exact same way with the same enemies but it still feels fuckin' hollow. It doesn't have that hand-crafted soul to it.

You shouldn't procedurally generate enemies. Maybe have random modifiers for each one, but not procedurally generated from the ground up. Weapons and armour is a grab bag of quality in terms of procedural generation, but having a somewhat static base to fall back on when the RNG isn't in your favour is appreciated.

One of the biggest flaws of games like Starbound and Minecraft is that individual biomes don't have enough character or content to them. Not enough reasons to seek them out specifically, not enough reasons to want to try and find something specific there. They just kind of exist, and you just kind of go there, and you just kind of find weapons that are about the same as anything else you can find anywhere else but with a different skin. Unlike Minecraft however, Starbound's also got the additional bullshit layer of very few of its enemies being particularly memorable, and furthermore even fewer of them having drop tables that would make trying to hunt down or fend off that particular enemy a worthwhile endeavor.

And yet it somehow manages to be several times worse than Terraria's mining at the very beginning.

Terraria "gets good later." That's usually a shitty excuse, but Terraria had a pretty slow start when it came out and built up a bunch of fantastic content despite its weak foundation. Its building mechanics and overemphasis on early base building are what hold it back in the beginning, but 95% of the game beyond that is just exploration and combat.

Okay. No I haven't gotten that far. I made it a few nights but was growing bored from just poking enemies with a stick. I know Starbound's isn't much better but at least you can find some guns or different variety weapons on the starting planet.

Wasn't trying to be convincing one way or another. It could have been a great game, but the dev's had no idea what they wanted to do other than Terraria in Space! and fucked up a ton of basic things.

I had fun for awhile because it does the building aspect very well, but the longer you play the worse the game gets.

>Should I try Terraria again?
Stupid question. It's a great game with a ton of content for sure, but how would anyone know if you won't lose interest again if you just don't like how it works?
It's more focused on progression rather than exploration. They're different. Terraria starts out slowly, but after you beat everything it has to offer, freshly created characters will seem like ants to you. It's a long road.
>Plus there's something about the artstyle I don't really like.
Well, it may even appear looking somewhat childish at first, then shit goes down.
The main issue with its style is, unlike in Starbound, you can't see shit. By shit I mean the details, due to the low amount of pixels per sprite. But you get used to it anyway.

Cutebound dev doing god's work.

How is it worse?

I'd argue that it's much better. Being able to dig 2x2 blocks or more at the same time is a huge improvement over Terraria's single tile digging. The background being easily mineable is a plus too.

That's around the time the game loses its magic.

If you dig down into the world, you'll find abandoned houses and treasure chests and shit, with runfast boots that let you build up speed as you move without stopping, double jump bottles, grappling hooks that you can make from finding gems, or finding a hook off of skeletons or piranhas and combining it with a chain made of iron.

You can rarely find giant slime or giant bee mounts from the king slime or queen bee bosses (the former of which can be summoned if you kill many slimes during a slime rain or will randomly appear in the outer thirds of the map). The slime mount can bounce on top of enemies for damage and will jump/fall super fast, and the bee mount can straight up fly for a short time although it does have a hidden recharge period, yet if you're falling you can summon it to keep yourself from suffering fall damage.

And this is just within the first fifth of the game.

If you head to the Tundra, the enemies are a bit tougher, but you can find plenty of weapons underground. Snow can straight up be turned into snowballs and thrown directly, you can find a snowball cannon gun that will add more damage to them and autofire if you hold it down, you can find a sword that fires a bolt of frost when swung, all sorts of neat stuff.

Terraria is the kind of game that I find is a lot easier to appreciate once you know all the different shit you can find in it, all the different ways you can progress.

Strangely it feels like there's a lot of people who just reach night time and poke zombies with a stick and then assume that's the whole game. Why don't they keep digging deeper or looking to the sides?

I mean, look at this shit.

>v1.2 trailer
youtube.com/watch?v=E0scnF8pXfU

>1.3 trailer
youtube.com/watch?v=-nXdtDgpPeE

I seriously hope you guys have the GEP gun on your hotbar at all times.

I seriously hope you check what thread you're in before you post :^)

:^)

Being able to dig 2x2 isn't particularly welcome when it goes at the speed of fucking molasses. Why can't focused mining mode be 4x or 9x faster? This is especially bothersome when I'm making a hole to the side to walk through but it's a little too short, so making it just the right size or making it too tall are exactly the same speed, and in both cases I feel like I'm being completely inefficient.

Terraria has smart cursor. This alone alleviates a lot of the tedium from mining, especially once you start reaching higher mining speeds that just obliterate blocks.

fuck I forgot about that
now I'm the wrong one :^(

Isn't the player height 3 blocks? You could get that as your first MM upgrade.

It's shitty, I hate it, I hate chucklefuck for getting away with it, and I hate the fanbase more for letting them get away with it.

What the fuck is so scary you had to cover it

I dunno, I was just mimicking the first image.

I think there's better now.

I'm going to give this a download.

Hopefully it's better than the utter shit you make it out to be.

I hope you pirated it.

There's a lot of lingering negative feelings, but a big part of why they linger is that they still haven't proven they know how to make a good game.

They keep throwing ideas in or taking ideas out and have no fucking idea how to tie it all together. It's just a big cosmetic mess of junk.

Can't be better than catgirls. Unless you have elfcatgirls.

Fish tits and plant boobs are the best races in the game.

We have cute birbs

Cred Forums likes to whine about it how Terraria is much better

Starbound is ok.
More about exploring and finding shit rather than building stuff.
After the latest release, if you play on normal difficulty, hunger becomes somewhat of an issue. It's an ok game, has a lot of stuff to explore, different biomes and shit, but not much depth behind all that stuff.
Also, the goal of the game is to collect the seven dragonballs and defeat the monster. Don't expect anything past it, because there is none. So when you open the portal to the last boss, make sure you only go for it when you're absolutely done with everything else you'd like to do, because there's zero reason to keep playing after you kill it.
It's ok, worth a shot if you can buy it in a sale or pirate it. Don't expect it to last forever, though. After some time playing it things being to repeat themselves. Layout of buildings, biomes, types of monsters and all that.

>humans with feathers
>birbs
ehh

hunger wouldn't be that bad if it stacked, but since it all has varying levels of decay that won't happen.
but of course that's what mods are for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Weather control when.

Harpies~

Thanks~